Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Wibla posted:

It's a good thing no one forces you to play (or even worse: pay) for the game :v:

Yes, but if you do want to play with your toy boats, then it sucks to see WG breaking all your poo poo and driving the game into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Yes, but if you do want to play with your toy boats, then it sucks to see WG breaking all your poo poo and driving the game into the ground.

yeah I logged I because I got 3 days premium with the Italian boats and now I have to swap my captains around so all my cruisers dont have incoming fire alert.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I’ll be honest, if what you described happened to me I’d just uninstall. Missing it by 2 days, urgh.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a DD, is dazzle worth the 4 points when concealment expert is right next to it?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Mans posted:

As a DD, is dazzle worth the 4 points when concealment expert is right next to it?

not in any way no, Dazzle is just bad

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

I’ll be honest, if what you described happened to me I’d just uninstall. Missing it by 2 days, urgh.

It doesn't massively matter to me as I can just switch my captains over. Like my cruiser captains are totally unspeced for Battleships etc.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Ah, you can bypass weegee's stupid fuckup by simply retraining every one of your captains on a new ship. I guess that's better than having to pay real money.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Some of the captains seem fine, my Conq captain was good. And anyway literally any set of skills is fine for random pubbies matches, I think I'm basically the only Euro player so no divisions or Clans etc.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
There's a number of EU players and a (not very active) clan, Goon Squid [GOON]!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

There's a number of EU players and a (not very active) clan, Goon Squid [GOON]!

Yeah I was the last person to ever say something in our Clan chat and that was at Christmas.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Aramoro posted:

Yeah I was the last person to ever say something in our Clan chat and that was at Christmas.

Ive never even seen someone post in it but im taking a break for a bit since trying to grind credits in the Massa was tilting me after getting thunderers most games.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I don’t think many people at all ever use in game clan chat - Discord is preferred

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Clan chat is weird and sucks, and you have to be running the game but not playing the game to see it.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

T9 is weird for ranked. I feel like most of the T9 tech tree ships suck, many of them I’d say are worse than their T8 counterparts other than having a heal. So I’m stuck playing my Alaska, which I’ve never been anything more than average at best in. It seems like everyone else has the same idea, because I just played a game that had three Alaska’s per team.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

colonelwest posted:

T9 is weird for ranked. I feel like most of the T9 tech tree ships suck, many of them I’d say are worse than their T8 counterparts other than having a heal. So I’m stuck playing my Alaska, which I’ve never been anything more than average at best in. It seems like everyone else has the same idea, because I just played a game that had three Alaska’s per team.

Tier 9 is an odd duck because the tech tree cruisers are all barely better than the tier 8s equivalents, while a lot of the battleships are significantly better than the tier 8s. The real change is the destroyers, which have some really strong tech tree boats like Kitakaze, Yugumo, Udaloi, Mogador and Z-46, while even Ostergotland, Fletcher, and Chung Mu are solid.

Premium wise Alaska is overpowered, so always a good pick, while Azuma is terrible and the German super cruisers are probably okay at best. Then you have Georgia which is simply amazing, and JB. But really, play tier 9 dds if you want ranked to be fun.

Velius fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 21, 2021

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Velius posted:

Tier 9 is an odd duck because the tech tree cruisers are all barely better than the tier 8s equivalents, while a lot of the battleships are significantly better than the tier 8s. The real change is the destroyers, which have some really strong tech tree boats like Kitakaze, Yugumo, Udaloi, and Z-46, while even Ostergotland, Fletcher, and Chung Mu are solid.

Premium wise Alaska is overpowered, so always a good pick, while Azuma is terrible and the German super cruisers are probably okay at best. Then you have Georgia which is simply amazing, and JB. But really, play tier 9 dds if you want ranked to be fun.

Yeah unfortunately I’m primarily a cruiser player (because deep down I hate myself). I don’t have any T9 BB’s, I do have a Fletcher but I’m really out of practice when it comes to playing DD’s. So I guess I’ll stick it out with my Alaska, until I can get back to punishing people with endless HE spam from my anti-concealment Hindenburg.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

colonelwest posted:

just kick peoples' heads in with Kitakaze

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
If you really want to use a tier 9 tech tree cruiser you can try the Buffalo. It depends on how many unbalanced premium ships there are (but so does everything) and games where everyone sits on the map border with deadeye would be annoying, but it's significantly better than most other tier 9 cruisers and not that much worse than an Alaska.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Drake is also a really good tech-tree T9 Cruiser for Randoms, although I don't know if that translates well into Ranked.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think the Drake is good in ranked for the same reason the RN light cruisers are good. When you have fewer targets to deal with its easier to get in good positions and easier to hide to use your heal. You're never having to deal with fire from all angles.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

James Garfield posted:

If you really want to use a tier 9 tech tree cruiser you can try the Buffalo. It depends on how many unbalanced premium ships there are (but so does everything) and games where everyone sits on the map border with deadeye would be annoying, but it's significantly better than most other tier 9 cruisers and not that much worse than an Alaska.

I liked the Buffalo a lot but I'd definitely be nervous about driving a ship that comes with a "warning: dies to Alaska in line of sight" sign stapled to the superstructure.

If you get some stacked fires shooting over a mountain maybe you can take on an AK but in small 7v7 matches that's harder...

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

Mans posted:

It increases the sigma (randomness of shells inside the accuracy ellipsis) by 10% and not the ellipsis itself, making it less effective than abilities that change dispersion directly, such as Deadeye.

Tests show it increases shots required to destroy a ship by 10%, which is kinda minor for 4 skill pts.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Just found out that playing vs players instead of bots is just a matter of switching game modes. Took me until halfway through Omaha to figure that out. And man, am I bad at Cruising.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Maybe you are, maybe you aren’t, but at this point everyone you see knows that Omaha’s are piñatas and will smite you at the first opportunity.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Nah, it's also happening in my Pensacola :(

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

Nah, it's also happening in my Pensacola :(

The Pensacola is still mostly a piñata, even after they changed them.

I had a really bad time grinding through it back when it was tier VII.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

XP grind isnt as bad as I remember when I first started playing this, or WoT. Signals and Camos really do wonders.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

DJ Dizzy posted:

XP grind isnt as bad as I remember when I first started playing this, or WoT. Signals and Camos really do wonders.

Double edged sword that though since it means you can get to tier 10 before you even know how to play the game properly.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Double edged sword that though since it means you can get to tier 10 before you even know how to play the game properly.

So no different than anyone else in WoT or WoWS

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
My first T10 about 5 years ago was the Yamato, and I played 89 games in Izumo to get to it. From what I remember I was mostly relying on First Win Bonus and the odd +50% signal or fancy camo - camos were very rare and the signals didn't even come out of containers or missions IIRC. Also there were so many fewer lines in the game that I was grinding it daily even after my first win bonus.

The last T10 I unlocked was Republique and I had to play only 24 games in the Alsace. Every match I would have used a +100% camo and at minimum the +50% signal - but I also think I availed of a few +200% FWB days.

I checked my stats and have an equal number of games in Seattle and Riga (24). This is why I don't mind them adding grinds like coal, steel and especially the Research Bureau. I can reset the Harugumo line and get back to T10 in probably a similar number of total games it took me to get from my first T9 to first T10 5 years ago.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

I'm a cheap FTPer and have finally amassed a grand total of 5000 dubloons. They're burning a hole in my pocket and I'm considering getting either a camo for one of my T10 ships or the PEF. Is it true you get two campaigns with the Prinz? Is the ship any good?

E: She ship got poor reviews when it came out but since the German BBs got a main battery accuracy boost and the 0.10 patch brought improved secondary range and dispersion, right?

Sigmund Fraud fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 23, 2021

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
PEF still has kinda crap armor for a German BB and also guns that aren't that hard-hitting IIRC?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
PEF is absolutely terrible. It’s the only premium ship I’ve ever sold in disgust. If you don’t have any tier 8 premium ships save up for one of those with a doubloon coupon, they’re the best money making option if you don’t have a tier 9 premium. I don’t know about tier 10 perma camo economics enough to know if they’re better than tier 8s though.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
PEF is completely useless, the accuracy doesn't matter because the shells do nothing when they hit anyway. The best way to get a premium ship for making credits is to save coal for a tier 9, but gold is best spent on tier 7/8 ships or premium account.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

The PEF is a properly woeful ship. Some of the lowest pen and damage guns to be found on a BB along with awful HE and un-german armour. She did get a secondary buff in 0.10 but uuuugh. When it came out about the only thing it could do well was kill planes with her decent AA but then CV rework came along and put an end to that.

Premium time is generally the best use of dubs, but the best time to buy premium is Xmas when they do the 50% off for a year. Otherwise if you're not playing a huge amount then it's pretty costly. If there is a TX that you play all the dang time then maybe a premium camo is worth it though, especially if you're not running a premium account because without a TX premium camo you'll be bleeding credits like crazy.

If you're generally struggling for credits then this Italian BB thing at the moment is pretty good. The ships are all terrible, but you can instead convert those tokens for 450K credits a pop. There's potentially 20mil+ to be made.

There's a bit of talk from WeeGee recently about making the T7-9 premium ship camo's have higher returns so certainly consider picking up a good T8. Lenin ( a bit boring but just stupidly strong) and Roma ( very tanky if played properly, even before the deadeye buffs I loved this thing) would probably be the current pick of the BB's. Mainz is a very good, if squishy, CL.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Never mind the maneuvers, just go straight at 'em?

drat the torpedoes, full speed ahead?

Also, is there a way to see all commanders that are in reserve?

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 24, 2021

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Has anyone had any clan battles (T9) yet and has an idea of what its shaping up to be? We're going to start in about an hour and I have this feeling it will be something like this in every match:

Musashi/Georgia/Jean Bart x2
Benham/Kitekaze x1 or x2
Alaska x3 or x4

Is there any reason at all to bring any cruiser other than Alaska? And does any other BB get a look in to those 3? I also think Benham is heads above the other torp-boats, and Kitekaze just too good in general to consider anything else.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

kaesarsosei posted:

Has anyone had any clan battles (T9) yet and has an idea of what its shaping up to be? We're going to start in about an hour and I have this feeling it will be something like this in every match:

Benham/Kitekaze x1 or x2
Alaska x3 or x4

Is there any reason at all to bring any cruiser other than Alaska? And does any other BB get a look in to those 3? I also think Benham is heads above the other torp-boats, and Kitekaze just too good in general to consider anything else.

Alaska is probably a trap - it just burns. For the start "no restrictions" portion, I think among the top clans you're going to see heavy Mogadors, in basically the same way the Kleber strat was used previously.

Edit: Here's a good example of why you don't want Alaska in this CB season https://www.twitch.tv/filipol135/clip/UgliestFurtivePanPrimeMe-jmfXXGST0G4WKiyy

toadee fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 24, 2021

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Never mind the maneuvers, just go straight at 'em?

drat the torpedoes, full speed ahead?

Also, is there a way to see all commanders that are in reserve?

You can do tier 1-10 in 70 games or so if you use all the xp bonus flags. It might not be that much fun playing tier 8 when you don't really understand the game mechanics, but this is a Wargaming game so the playerbase is a useful hypothesis test of whether human stupidity is infinite. It's also easier to learn game mechanics at higher tiers. Up to you I guess.

You should be able to see reserve commanders if you pick the option to assign commander on a ship and scroll down.

kaesarsosei posted:

Benham/Kitekaze x1 or x2
Alaska x3 or x4

I don't think Alaska is that well suited to clan battles. Too easy to get farmed if you try to brawl with it like you would in a random, and if you can't rush and the other team is competent (no cruisers parked broadside) it has worse guns than a Buffalo or something.

Benham is good at shooting torpedo walls down a channel or something and it has USN smoke, but it's also a free kill for every other destroyer and it doesn't really outspot them either.

I feel like a tier 9 clan battle team with no ship restrictions is however many Georgias you're allowed to bring, a bunch of gunboats, and maybe a Musashi or a cruiser to sit in smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

James Garfield posted:

You can do tier 1-10 in 70 games or so if you use all the xp bonus flags.

I'm fairly new to this game (coming in with a WoT history), but the issue I am having with F2P is that while getting XP is easy, getting enough silver to buy and outfit a high tier ship is hard.