Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Bought Hood, so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My Hood catches fire a lot.

Historically accurate, I suppose, but annoying.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FAUXTON posted:

I thought the hood straight up got blown in half by the biz

Hood had possibly the most unlucky engagement of any battleship ever even without getting blown up.

First hit struck her fire control spotting post and rained "bits of officer" all over the bridge, according to a survivor. Another hit right after set her ready-use secondary and AA ammo on fire (and she had a lot, including the utterly useless UP rockets). Then she was hit in exactly the right spot to set off her after magazine, which sent flash and flame through her fuel tanks to the forward magazines, setting those off in turn.

Thankfully the pressure waves from the magazine explosions killed her crew instantly. There's way worse ways to die in a sea battle than that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I spent five minutes chasing a Colorado around the islands in ring shooting in the rear end, then blew him up after he hid behind an island with 15 seconds to go in the match.

:c00l:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hood good, so what

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MoraleHazard posted:

Do any of the hard core naval history goons know why Brit battlecruisers were so huge? 800 feet long and often carrying only 3x2 15 inchers? Colorado was 624 ft long and had 4x2 16 inchers. The only thing I can think of is that I know that a longer hull equals more speed.

Speed. They had to have massive steam machinery plants to make 28 knots, and owing to the cautious approach of the Royal Navy to the latest boiler developments immediately before the First World War that meant dozens of boilers (42 in the Lion, Princess Royal, and Tiger, and 39 in Queen Mary). This meant a long hull, because there was no other way to fit all the boilers into the ship.

There's also a lot of hydrodynamics and power curve mathematics involved which I barely understand, but suffice to say that given the hull forms used by Royal Navy naval architects, after about 25 knots you really, really had to add something between geometrically and exponentially more engine power for every additional knot, and lengthening the hull somewhat reduced the additional horsepower required for more speed. The Warspite and her sisters needed 56,000 shaft horsepower to make ~25 knots, and Hood needed 144,000 to make ~30.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 25, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm on the final leg of the Bismarck campaign after basically doing nothing else but playing this game for the last three (four?) days. I've had a surprising amount of success just asking enemy pubbies if I can do X to them in exchange for them blowing me up afterwards.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I did it. I won the loving Bismarck.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What's the deal with the neon-colored Japanese ships called Arp?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So I guess HSF stands for "High School Fleet" so I'll just Google that and oh what the gently caress

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
At least it's not that other internet thing with the giant-boobed animes named after warships.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Am I wrong for maining in a New Mexico?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blindeye posted:

German cruisers are jack-of-all trades and sort of eh.

German battleships become amazing close-in brawlers with secondaries that light everything within 10km on fire by tier 8.

Prinz Eugen is a buzzsaw against other cruisers if you're shooting AP.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blindeye posted:

Honestly the New Orleans is better in that situation (more guns, more AP pen/normalization, still pretty good damage). Hipper/Prinz and the higher tier Germans get a boost in AP damage that adds up especially on battleships, but against cruisers the dpm advantage in a duel is not as noticeable in my experience.

Alls I know is that I've gotten more consistent citadel hits against cruisers in the Prinz Eugen than any other ship I've played, though I haven't gotten far enough the US cruiser tree to get a New Orleans.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ice Fist posted:

Based on previous cases of two ships of the same class being in the game?

1. They buff the Warspite to have some kind of consumable like Iowa/Missouri. Doubtful because of the tier involved and because they probably wouldn't want to buff the Warspite so much with a consumable.
2. They make the QE have less accurate guns or something similar to New Mexico/Arizona
3. Give one of the ships torpedoes like Nagato/Mutsu. The class did have torpedoes. Also the Mutsu is a tier lower than the Nagato. Not sure what the planned tier was for the QE.
4. Give the QE different caliber guns like Gneis/Scharn. Not sure if this is even possible historically speaking like the planned 15 inch guns for the Gnes and Scharn.

Queen Elizabeth will probably have a different upgrade path so her final equipment will be different from Warspite's, probably closer to the less-modernized Malaya or Barham. No two Queen Elizabeths were upgraded identically during the 1920s and 30s so it would be easy to avoid making her identical to Warspite.

I'm pissed there aren't any British battlecruisers. I want to play as the Lion or the Renown.

On an unrelated note, how do I Cleveland correctly? What do I need to mount to make it work like the ones that shoot at me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

There's no way they are going to leave out the battlecruisers it'll be a line split but probably in a year or two

But mom I want them nooowwwww!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What are the skills I need for a US DD captain? I'm training one up now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I mean, by the logic of realism DDs shouldn't carry infinite torpedoes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Is IFHE something worth specializing in for the Hood?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CitizenKain posted:

Also gently caress the Colorado, what a worthless ship. Not once have I had a match in that ship that went well.

The secret to Coloradoing is to put every single range upgrade onto it and a Zen-like acceptance that the matchmaker will go out of its way to put its boot up your rear end.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Getting Dreadnought in Hood is an odd feeling, let me tell you.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I just got a Pensacola and my only experience with the type is using shooting AP to open them up like a tin can. How do I sail the thing?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
You guys weren't kidding about the Pensacola's guns :stare:

My first, not at all well-aimed, salvo of the game at extreme range hit a Konig four times and set him on fire.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 6, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I decided to try the public test server and the currency system is down so I can't even repair my drat ships after a battle. Is this happening to anyone else?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Man, playing wehraboo bingo is just as easy in this game as it is in WoT.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've achieved a sense of zen about the Pensacola. It's made of tinfoil and in some games you're doomed regardless because a BB decides to take 80% of your health from clear across the map, but the guns are very nice if you can live long enough to use them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mik posted:

I have 500 games in the Belfast and 200 in the Warspite and it boils down to this:

Belfast is more powerful
Warspite is more fun

And I really dislike BB gameplay in general.

Split the difference and you get Hood.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blindeye posted:

Except the hood is worse than either the Warspite or the Belfast, just having a bit better matchmaking?

You shut your filthy mouth.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What's the right way to play the Kielbasa boat anyway?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

NTRabbit posted:

The Royal Navy built so few battleships over the years that WG has been forced to resort to a frankenship

That's not a Frankenship. It's a real design intended as a reworking of the cancelled Lion class of 1939.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's probably going to be an additional tree of British battlecruisers somewhere down the line and that'll probably change a few things.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blindeye posted:

Probably that would be the line to put Vanguard in. The problem is many British battlecruisers were WWI vintage with 4-6 15 inch guns or smaller. Hard to see more than a line to tier 8 lime the alternate Japanese DD line.

There's enough RN battlecruiser designs to make a full tree without even resorting to Frankenships and there's even room for new Premiums.

Tier 3 - Invincible
Tier 4 - Indefatigable
Tier 5 - Lion
Tier 6 - Renown
Tier 7 - Admiral
Tier 8 - G3
Tier 9 - Vanguard
Tier 10 - Incomparable

Premiums:
Tier 4 - Australia
Tier 5 - Tiger
Tier 6 - Repulse

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 19, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blindeye posted:

The tier 10 has six guns and is a 1915 design, that's what I mean. As much fun as 20.1 inch guns would be, WG seems dead set against bringing them in.

Simple, adjust it down to the 18"/45 guns it would've carried in reality.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cippalippus posted:

What I wonder is why they even have the Hood in game. That ship blows.

Hood is fun if you play it like Ghost Rider up to and including being on fire at all times.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What's the best way to North Carolina?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So what happens to the Albert I drunkenly bought a while back?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lord Koth posted:

They're not taking it away from you, if that's what you're asking.

That's all I wanted to know, yeah.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
God almighty why did they gently caress up the Iron Duke model. It shouldn't have only one funnel.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Orion is definitely getting nerfed at some point in the future. She's just too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Heartcatch posted:

Clemson is the favoured daughter of the entire USN DD tree. Strangely, while it has a reputation as one of the best seal clubbers, most pubbies aren't aware of this.

It has six torpedoes on both sides. How do they not become aware of that even by accident?