Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Remmon posted:

EU closed beta applications are open. Get yours in if you want to be on the EU server.

Looks closed to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The research for a Swedish branch has already begun. Implementation in 2020, maybe? (no ships above ~9000 tons deplacement, no aircraft carriers - it's destroyers and "pocket battlecruisers" all the way down)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Axetrain posted:

I hope the Cleveland is worth it because the Phoenix feels like straight garbage. Admittedly I'm real bad at this though.

Stock Phoenix is pretty poo poo, yeah. Top configuration Phoenix is great and oneshots destroyers all day long. It's really shooty and loves making things explode. The torps aren't really worth it though, too few and too long reload to really be useful.

Now, what feels like garbage to me is the Myogi. I just cannot hit things at all. Even when I lead correctly it feels like a disproportionate amount of time one shots falls long and one short. Am I just awful at the game or is it really that inaccurate? I hit things really well in cruisers all the time.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 20, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
People having no fun in the Myogi, have faith and grind it out because I just got to the Kongo and dear lord this is awesome. Get the Main Battery Modification 1 and then the Gun Control mod, and then snipe the poo poo outta some dumbasses from 20km. with a lot of luck

Still, great ship. Pretty fast, handles well, a bunch of big and accurate guns. Keep your distance from those pesky destroyers and ruin the days of some cruisers, then shoot battleships. You're fast so make sure you don't get in trouble too fast, stay back a bit and see what the pubbies find first. I'm averaging 50-60k damage per game so far and I'm pretty terrible at the game.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdntP-iEC68

Recorded a pretty good carrier game. If you don't want to watch 15 minutes of me frantically clicking things and waiting, hilights are an incredible torp spread against some tunnel visioned pubbies at 01:05 (9 hits out of 12 possible), pro torp dodging in one of the slowest ships in the game at 01:40, semi-failed manual spread setup at 05:20 and panic sinking a battleship at 07:05.

Carriers are pretty boring, really. I got to the Independence but I'm not sure if I'm feeling it. You can usually gently caress over a battleship or two but there's just so much waiting involved and you feel so detached from the game.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 21, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Burt posted:

It's all a bit too simple.

I actually sorta agree with this. I have a tier 5 of every class except destroyers, so at least I've gotten my feet wet, and I'm still thinking it's kinda... shallow? Sorta. On the surface, it only really has one game mechanic, and that's leading targets. I'm thinking the real mechanic might be deciding which targets to lead though. I've seen a lot of pubbies complain about how "there's no balance between classes" and well, no, there isn't, and that's intentional, because I think they intended for the way the different classes support each other to be a game mechanic as well. Unfortunately though it's not, because pubbies are illiterate retards and don't understand such things.

As far as the armor discussion goes, so far as far as I'm concerned it might as well be RNG. Outside of knife range (where you don't really want to go unless you have torps) you can't really reliably hit anywhere specific anyway so you just spam shots and hope for a lucky hit.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Fart Car '97 posted:

never try to dodge at long range

They do, though? Even battleships are basically always at least in a turn or something. I mean yeah against a St Louis you can sorta decide where you want to hit because he's both slow as poo poo and probably really new to the game so he never turns, but against anyone else, yeah. You hit what you hit and be thankful for it.

Oneshotting destroyers at 4 km in the Phoenix never gets old though.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 21, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngfQ_JBbrJQ

omahahahaha.mp4

I played way too aggressive and beached myself like a bumbling retard and still got 4 kills? Pubbies are awful.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MtgR-NdUOU

Kongo thunderdome. I am bad at this game.

To answer the question, yeah, I think it's actually pretty fun. It definitely has its moments. I also think it gets better around tier 5.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

PirateBob posted:

Man I wish there were replays. Just had my best battle yet, playing the :allears: Kongo :allears:

105k damage. 1k more and I would have claimed the 8th kill. :negative:

I got 6 kills in the Omaha earlier but the recording is full of 2PAC members talking about World of Tanks. Teamspeak :argh:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

OSad posted:

Edit: I have been getting nothing *but* Fault Line lately. I must've gotten this map seven times in a row, on the same side, in my kuma. Have they taken all the other maps out of the game or something? :v:

There are basically only two maps in rotation for tier IV, Fault Line and Big Race. So yeah, you'll see them a lot. At tier 5 you start seeing North, and at tier 6 Islands of Ice shows up sometimes.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Me, Sengo and Panzerblitz just killed a Yamato from full health with two Clevelands and a Pensacola. Get on our level.

(you have to get really close for this to work)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Play Cleveland (or any American cruiser) divisions, never look back. We had some amazing games tonight with ours. If you can get close to a battleship (as in less than 5-6km) you do like 10k damage per salvo if you shoot him in the waterline, so he dies really loving quickly. Case in point, we killed that Yamato and I got a Nagato kill too earlier tonight.

Then again Fuso divisions can also be fun times. You learn pretty quickly how much to lead stuff and getting citadel hits from 15-20km really feels good. Panzerblitz also sniped a demo account in an Omaha from about 18km in a single salvo at the very start of the game, and he got really really salty about it and sat around complaining about battleships in chat for the rest of the game. There was also some pubbie complaining about "clickers" shooting torps at him.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 23, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWD34JSYU9k

Cleveland, Cleveland, Pensacola and some torpedo bombers vs Yamato. We win. Action starts at around 04:20 and we get into deep poo poo at around 07:00.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

NTRabbit posted:

Has anyone else had a problem where if you shoot at a distant target and lead it like normal the shots all land the range you aim at, but if you put the reticle right on the ship the shots all land ~2km short? I was shooting at a stationary cruiser with the reticle right on it, shops kept dropping into the ocean nowhere near the ship, not close enough to even be unlucky RNG. I moved the reticle to the left so it would be leading him if he was actually moving but at exactly the same distance, and every shot landed bang on range. It was bizarre.

Not sure if I'm understanding the problem you're describing correctly, but I've had similar-ish problems with shots ending up in bizarre places and it's always been due to the game deciding to focus on a ship that isn't the one I'm actually shooting at. If your target doesn't have the targeting circle around it, just press x a few times until it does.

The aiming model in this game is some deeply magic poo poo, by the way. Because clicking on the point in the ocean that you actually want to hit is too hard, the game does a lot of weird poo poo with how the recticle works so you only ever really aim in one dimension - range is automagic and depending on what ship the game has decided to focus on. When firing on a ship that is heading towards you or away from you, you never need to try to estimate how much to lead it in range, only in horizontal movement. The game seems to magically figure the extra range out for you and the correct thing to do is to not attempt to compensate for it. Normally this just serves to make the game easier, but if you and the game disagree on what you want to shoot at, weird things happen and shots fall short or long.

Someone mentioned earlier that the game is definitely less complex than World of Tanks because it only has two dimensions to the three featured in tanks, but in reality I'm pretty sure the game only really has one dimension as far as gunnery goes.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 23, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Another gunnery mechanics observation: shots don't really seem to converge towards the center of the recticle. If you're in a Fuso and fire a broadside at something heading directly towards or away from you, you'll hit maybe one or two shots, the rest will fall to either side of the target because the shot grouping mirrors your turret placement (so don't do that). That's also one of the reasons why it's so hard to hit a destroyer with battleship guns; the ship is so small that it fits in between your turrets.

Also, I have five closed beta invite codes to hand out but they're US server only. I'll reserve one for apseudonym because he's a cool guy I used to play Wargame with, but for the rest of the four send me a PM or make a post or something and first come first serve?
edit: all gone

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 23, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Largepotato posted:

I'd like one.

Sorry, all gone already. :(

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 23, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Dalael posted:

I'm sorry but this is simply not true. There are many occasions in which I have shot at ships heading towards or away from me, and I've had to lead my shots every single time. When I don't lead well enough, you can clearly see the bullets hit the water either too far, or simply not far enough. I do not know how you came to your conclusions, maybe you happen to be really good at leading in these conditions.

But this idea that you do not need to lead because range is automatic? Not sure I'd bet money on that.

You have to lead horizontally, yes, or whatever the term is. I am pretty drat sure that you don't really have to compensate for range though, or if you do the extents to which you can do so are severely limited. Consider this video at about 11:05:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ov8oLnCeWU

I'm firing at a Kongo heading almost straight away from me at about 10km. It's not super obvious because the shell flight time is a bit too short, but notice how I have my cursor pointed level with his bow and slightly to his left, and the salvo is almost perfectly ranged - most of the shots miss only because they fall to his sides, because there's no shot convergence.

Here's another funny example of the ranging mechanism doing magic, at about 10:10 and about 20-30 seconds on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWD34JSYU9k

I'm initially aiming at the Pensacola closer to me and failing to lead him enough. Then Panzerblitz mentions that the New Orleans is stuck on an iceberg, and I switch to shooting at that, and there comes the interesting bit. Note that the game's camera tracking is still locked on the Pensacola (note the crosshair around his cruiser symbol), so when I center the reticule on the New Orleans and fire my first salvo (sorry it's a bit hard to track because of my spastic camera action) it falls well short of him because it's still trying to keep range on the Pensacola. The shots fall at a range appropriate to where the Pensacola was - the game actively tries to prevent you from mucking up the range too much. You are only free to gently caress with the horizontal lead as you will. After my first salvo the game understands that I've switched targets and centers on the New Orleans instead, and then follows an exercise in frustration with trying to figure out lead for an accelerating and turning target.

I should probably try turning off target locking by hitting x and seeing what that lets you do.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 23, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9LNYTAqPzM

Does this convince you, Dalael? I have several more examples from that same game if you want more demonstration.

(got six kills in that game, the cleveland loving owns)

Also I can confirm that if you unlock the target following cam you can indeed lead in range and that will work. It's much more annoying to play that way though because you have to manually track the targets instead of keeping your aim exactly the same between shots.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 23, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

PirateBob posted:

You can definitely lead in range even while auto tracking though :confused: But if you aim too high or too low you'll take over from the auto-range-leading or something and probably miss... Is that it?

Maybe! I watched the replay again and you may actually have a point. I still believe there's a large amount of magic going on though. For me it seems to Just Work to keep the horizontal line in the reticule lined up with their bow or stern. v:shobon:v

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGmHELN0C90

get a cleveland before they nerf it

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Atal Vataman posted:

so im almost done with tier 6 and im losing interest real fast. this game sort of feels like a less complex wot for people who find moving in three dimensions to be too complicated. please help me understand the appeal of this game, i sort of want to like it

Right now, yeah, I agree, it's a very shallow game that's fun for about a week or two.

- Destroyers are mostly useless above tier 5.
- Battleships are pretty much "point, shoot and see big numbers, the game" and that sorta gets old pretty fast.
- Carriers require that you go afk for several minutes at a time and are pretty underpowered unless you have two or more cooperating, and you can't have that because then it's overpowered.
- Because of the above, the only thing that's really fun to play is cruisers because they go relatively fast and can fight every other ship class with some success.
- Beyond tier 5 or so once you've gotten past the weirdo WW1 ships every single ship in a class is basically the same and plays the same and there's nowhere near the variation you see in tanks.
- Because of the way the shot distribution and damage model works the only really significant gun parameter is how many you have and how fast they fire - you can ignore everything else except maybe range. For this reason, the Fuso is pretty much flat out better than the higher tier battleships.
- The fact that there are two ammo types in the game is basically irrelevant because only one is actually useful.
- The game modes are all garbage and don't encourage cooperation in a game that would otherwise benefit a lot from that.
- Hitting moving targets with a shell travel time of 10-15 seconds is very hard, so they basically had to dumb the shot mechanics down so much that you only work in one dimension. It's pretty boring.
- Despite scaling up travel speeds a lot there's still a lot of very boring waiting around to get somewhere.
- Torpedoes are a dumb weapon and are kinda like artillery in WoT. There's a lot of random chance and dumb luck involved and if you luck out someone gets oneshot.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 24, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
ok fine I'm just salty about my cruisers getting torpedoed a lot (i am bad at dodging torpedoes)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Nerses IV posted:

Dive bombers and HE are pretty underutilized

Yeah this too. As far as I can tell dive bombers are just completely useless and there's no point in ever taking them. They just don't do anything.

xthetenth posted:

Dodge the attacks when they happen, not the torps when you see them.

Oh I know the theory fine, I just focus on blowing up that goddamned destroyer instead and don't remember I'm supposed to be dodging until after he's dead (and then I die to his torps).

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

xthetenth posted:

And I still maintain fluff's wrong when it comes to elevation and guns, but I'm gonna go test it.

I'm actually not sure what to think myself anymore. I maintain that there is a lot of "help" involved, though. You do have to range-lead a little bit even when you have the target on autofollow, but way less than what you could expect, I think. Shooting at a target coming towards you while you're going away from it yourself (like in that video I posted earlier) is one case where it seems very apparent that there's a lot of weirdness going on.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

OSad posted:

Man, I am just poo poo at Cruisers. I wish replays were in so I could show myself getting kited around and slowly destroyed by a Minekaze at 700 hp at 5 km's away. I could not, for the life of me, land a penetrating AP shot on her; I only realized too late that if I switched to HE preemptively, the two out of fifty or something shots that I actually landed would've probably floundered her. Instead she just slowly sailed away and plinked away at my half-health Kuma while zig-zagging. Twenty-five shots later I was dead and really embarrassed.

I get that in some games, your flank gets thundered and there's nothing you can do, but man, following Battleships around seems to either get you wrecked within 5 minutes, or into a flank with no action at all.

I enjoyed Destroyers for being maneuverable and easy to pick up and play, but I didn't want to stick to just destroyers. However I am considering not ever picking up a Cruiser or a BB again, because I am just a hot mess of dropped spaghetti and missed shots in them. :(

Here's a tip: play American cruisers.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
This discussion made me find this Wikipedia article, which is pretty drat interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_discussion_of_rangekeeping
e: also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangekeeper

Also, the stereoscopic rangefinders on many ships in the game actually turn to track your turrets. Pretty neat.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 25, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Is there anyone who still wants keys? I have an opportunity to ask Wargaming for more. Can't promise anything though.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
OK! I'll see what I can do.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Last time I got a batch I got 5 for EU and 5 for US, no idea what (if anything) I'll get this time. I was just checking the interest levels.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It looks like 15 people wanted keys, 1 from US, 1 from EU, the other 13 didn't say.

Will it help you if everyone lists their region?

Probably not, I'll most likely just get a mixed batch. No need to spam the thread.

demonR6 posted:

New mods out.

Reticle w/ Alt Mode Always On

Battle Loading Icons

Players Panel Icons

Zoom Out

Zoom In Overhead

Link to these please?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Can't view that link because I'm not in the US beta.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Kubrick posted:

I would love a key (US). Every key giveaway has been a roller coaster of emotions ultimately ending in a deep boatless depression.

Man, I'm sorry, but don't get your hopes up too much. I've sent the request but if I get anything at all it'll probably be like 5-10 keys and I don't think there's enough for everyone :(

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Well, that was quick. Got 10 EU codes, everyone who asked for an EU code explicitly and is on Dr. Arbitrary's list (send him your thanks too!) should have received one, so check your PM's. I still have four two have no more to hand out :( post away if you want an EU code. Nothing for the US server so far. I asked for 15 US codes but I have no idea how many I'll get.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 26, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Neferreth posted:

Add me to the list of key-seekers (EU)
Missing every sign-up window or promotion because of work is starting to grow old really fast.

You don't have PM's but post your email and I'll send you one.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

nerd death screech posted:

Someone posted about being able to change the key servers from EU to NA and vice versa, is that actually possible? If so then obviously I'll take one and change the server, otherwise I'll leave it for someone in EU who'd probably appreciate it more, my internet isn't that great to begin with.

I have no idea if this is possible or not. Don't give up hope yet US players, it seems codes for different servers are handled in a different way by different people so it's not weird that I haven't gotten any US ones yet.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Jaroslav posted:

Can i grab one for my buddy dominionix who is at work and not responding? Know he's been wantin to get in. EU that is

Since I know you and have played with you, sure why not. See PM. One code left.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Tathris posted:

I'd like a EU code, if you've still got a spare. Haven't had any luck with applying for access, and this game seems interesting.

You got it. Last one for now, will report back if/when I get US ones.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ihmemies posted:

I still can't understand how TheFluff got the keys. Does he know Serb personally or what? Some streamers only get like 1-2 keys to share, and he got 10 for some guys in an internet comedy forum.

I've handed out 18 keys to goons so far :v:

I am a amateur historian gigantic nerd who visits the Swedish national military archives on a weekly basis, doing research on Swedish tank development history. I've been doing this for about a year and a half at this point. Wargaming has shown interest in implementing Swedish tanks and I had a meeting regarding that with their historian Yuri Pasholok and some other WG employees in Stockholm a month or so back. When I asked my contact at Wargaming for a key for my own use he was like "you should've asked earlier, there was a closed alpha you could've been in but feel free to ask for keys for your friends/people in your gaming community" and since I mostly play online games with goons, well, you're all my friends right? I also got more keys for promising to investigate Swedish ships.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I fully expect my fame to last for about 15 minutes, but the eccentric professor sounds like your role Hammerstein