Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Has anyone tried running this in wine? It seems pretty cool but I don't want to have to restart my computer whenever I get in the mood to captain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

All this wanking over US battleships and US pseudo-battleships is just making me pine for the Takao and Akizuki more.

And Ise/Hyuga hybrid battleships. I would totally sign on to try and attempt to micromanage floatplane bombers while reloading BB guns.

I want the Tone, for its wacky gun layout.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Which part? The Nuclear bomber thing was part of the post-war military funding fights and the creation of the Department of Defense. There were quite a few people in the late 40s who decided that all future wars would be both deterred and settled entirely by long range nuclear bombing, with armies and navies now obsolete.

Wasn't that a continuation of the interwar "the bomber will always get through" philosophy, only with "nuclear" added?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

And yeah, the Space Battleship Yamato and friends event was cool as hell.

Are there videos of this?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm having a blast, aside from my tendency to embody the aggressive spirit of the Japanese Navy. I've played like 12 games and only survived one of them.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

How much better is the Aoba than the Furutaka?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Depends on what part of the Furutaka you're waiting for to get better. If armor, not at all. If firepower through faster reload speed, very yes.

If you wish turrets would actually spin (instead of crawl) towards where you aim, start playing US destroyers instead.

Cool. Any recommendations for Aoba captain/upgrades?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Captain:
* Both first-tier skills
* I say pick Aiming Expertise unless you're a genius torpedo person, Torpedo Armament Expertise is still great but it's better to pick it up later when torps start taking like 3 minutes to reload
* Defensive Fire is pretty much the only choice at third tier, Situation Awareness isn't very efficient for cruisers because your important time is spent blowing stuff up and giving away your position
* Pyromania's still nice, but take Advanced Firing Training if you really enjoyed having Defensive Fire, Vigilance isn't worth 4 points because from the Aoba on up you get to launch a seaplane that loiters for quite a while and spots torpedoes for you
* You'll be way past the Aoba by this tier, but Jack of All Trades to reduce Defensive Fire and Damage Control's cooldown lengths

Upgrades:
* Always always get Main Battery Modification 1 for the various reduced chances of bad stuff happening to your primary weapons.
* Gun Fire Control System Modification 1 doesn't have any drawbacks but sometimes can feel like a placebo upgrade. Main Battery Modification 2 is a trap because it makes you take longer to reload.
* Propulsion Modification 1. Going fast in this game not only affects your speed but also your ability to turn.
* Same reasons for Propulsion Modification 2, unless you're an idiot like me and only care about flipping around to shoot only half of a broadside that I forgot to bring to bear before contact. (Steering Gears Mod 2 is basically a speed sacrifice for wider zig-zag maneuvers.)

Thanks. I assume that'll still hold for higher-tier cruisers more or less?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

I can't get in, thing is rejecting my un/pw combo

Try using your email/pw.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So even without manual drop (or maybe I just don't know the key for it) I can do some pretty decent damage.

Also the previous carrier, where I did the same drat thing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

FOG_ExplodingDinghy_ObamaAkbar

FOG_Silkworm_Fishingboat

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm thinking Atago AND Atlanta. I love cruisers.

Fake Edit: Something went wrong with the purchase, I'll try again later.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

How many points does a max-level captain get?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

If Michaelous is one of you, sorry about being a bad Atago driver. Rudder shift is almost double what I'm used to.

Also anyone have a suggested Atago build?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Captain:
* Both first-tier skills
* I say pick Aiming Expertise unless you're a genius torpedo person, Torpedo Armament Expertise is still great but it's better to pick it up later when torps start taking like 3 minutes to reload
* Defensive Fire is pretty much the only choice at third tier, Situation Awareness isn't very efficient for cruisers because your important time is spent blowing stuff up and giving away your position
* Pyromania's still nice, but take Advanced Firing Training if you really enjoyed having Defensive Fire, Vigilance isn't worth 4 points because from the Aoba on up you get to launch a seaplane that loiters for quite a while and spots torpedoes for you
* You'll be way past the Aoba by this tier, but Jack of All Trades to reduce Defensive Fire and Damage Control's cooldown lengths

Upgrades:
* Always always get Main Battery Modification 1 for the various reduced chances of bad stuff happening to your primary weapons.
* Gun Fire Control System Modification 1 doesn't have any drawbacks but sometimes can feel like a placebo upgrade. Main Battery Modification 2 is a trap because it makes you take longer to reload.
* Propulsion Modification 1. Going fast in this game not only affects your speed but also your ability to turn.
* Same reasons for Propulsion Modification 2, unless you're an idiot like me and only care about flipping around to shoot only half of a broadside that I forgot to bring to bear before contact. (Steering Gears Mod 2 is basically a speed sacrifice for wider zig-zag maneuvers.)

So I asked about this last patch, how have the skills you need for an Aoba changed since? Also would you use a similar build on an Aoba and an Atago?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Hi, I stopped playing this game like a week after patch 0.3.1 hit, any comment I have about the current state of the game will range from terribad armchair speculation all the way down to utter shitposting.
Oh :(

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

xthetenth posted:

And the Cleveland isn't a battleship.

It's still the same mismatch where the bigger ship has guns that can't reliably hit and do less damage if not less damage per salvo. Honestly it's worse for battleships, because their guns are so much less accurate and there's a much larger disparity in reload rate.

I had a crazy-rear end duel in a Kuma vs a Myogi as I closed on him through several volleys of his guns (I'm not sure how small the speed difference is) until I made it to torpedo range. Even then the guns and fire did most of the damage.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Are there any suggested builds out there? Are they actually any good?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Is it a bad idea to get the rudder shift upgrade for my Atago?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm running into an odd bug where in my battleship, I fire one battery when its crosshair is green, and every gun fires even though the others aren't aligned to shoot. I'm tapping the button once, not holding it or double-tapping. Seems to coincide with fewer shells being drawn by the game and none of the shells registering as hits on the target, regardless of how they are drawn when they land.

They're essentially ghost volleys that empty the guns and start the reload timer. It's not great.

This isn't happening right after you switch weapon types is it?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

TehKeen posted:

Maybe they meant changing ammo types?

Yeah ammo types. If you have a different ammo type selected for the next shot, it fires every gun that's on-target and reloads every gun that isn't.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

God, the Bismarck is going to be a mess. How low in the IJN/USA trees do you have to go to find 8x14"?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Insert name here posted:

Tier 5 (Kongo is 4x2, New York is 5x2).

That was a rhetorical question. What I'm saying is that the Bismarck is massively overrated compared to ships from real navies.

Also holy poo poo there are some bad Atlanta drivers out there. Yes sail all the way into my Toros in a perfectly straight line please.

I was poking around on YouTube and saw some videos of the Ibuki with the BB Damage Control heal. What is up with that?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

grrarg posted:

One of the beta patches gave tier 9 and 10 cruisers a limited charge version of the BB heal. I can't remember if it was one or two charges. In either case, it will be affected by Superintendent now so cruisers get crazy utility out of that skill. Extra use of a plane, AA barrage/sonar, and the heal.

AA/Sonar don't seem to have charges at all.

Edit: The Bismarck is a perfect metaphor for Nazi Germany.

1. Get incredibly lucky against one of your two principal opponents.
2. Be overrated massively by both sides.
3. Get subtly crippled by bombing.
4. Go down in an orgy of violence in every direction.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 4, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So uh which Tier 4 skill is best for Japanese Cruisers? I feel like I really, really use HE a lot since I'm shooting at DDs a fair amount. Heck I've never been able to get good at getting Citadels at all. On the other hand "More AA" and "not needing to blow repair the instant your stern gets hit" sound good too.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Evil_Greven posted:

...And immediately after getting my first (I think) Dreadnought, I get a second:

In of all loving things, this matchup:

Mourneblade said he was streaming with his seal clubber Iowa. It didn't work out so great, fortunately.

That Atlanta was extremely annoying, able to shoot over a hill and hit me without me being able to return fire. After he died, mostly, I was dodging fire from the New Mexico, Fuso, and that carrier who never did land a hit from his three squadron drops at once. Once I grazed an island and... he dropped them all behind me. Okay.

His other two attempts, before he lost all of his planes to friendly air cover, I just maneuvered around them. I did bump into one torp from a really close drop, but it wasn't armed and fizzled. Carriers need to remember that Warspites can turn really well with the upgrade - and maybe pick another target.

Hah, I had a loss on Mournblade's team and for a sec I thought that was me.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Can someone verify me for the TS server? I'm "wdarkk" on TS as well.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 5, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sorry to Bob and Griz for summoning all that bad luck. Or maybe I suck.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Is it worthwhile to blow past the first hull for the Myoko with Free XP? It looks like I get double the torps and double the AA on the second one.

EDIT: Also, does propulsion upgrade 2 do anything for your turning? I heard someone say it did, but I'm not sure how.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Man after updating it feels like it takes five minutes to load a game.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Had a crazy game earlier where the enemy team had most of the caps but we kept getting kills at the last second (once with the enemy team at 999 or so) and managed to just pull out a win.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

Yeah, I thought we were gonna lose that one for sure. It was pretty close.

I gotta remember to turn on replay recording.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I wish more people played Japanese Cruisers. I had at least one game with FIVE Clevelands on the other team. My poor Aoba's citadel...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Servicio en Espanol posted:

Borrowed a lot of Lend-Lease poo poo.

I hope they have an option for a hypothetical lend-lease Iowa.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Is that a typo or is Atago going down a tier?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Kuma is Tier 4.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

MREBoy posted:

I don't like using Mumble, its overlay functions refuse to work on my computer for some reason. :argh:

I like mumble because it seems to have fewer issues where I can't understand what someone is saying.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Is Demolition Expert the go-to level 4 skill for an IJN cruiser?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

s1ppycup posted:

Furutaka playstyle is free XP past it to get the Aoba. Furutaka is garbage. It's slow, the guns turn slowly, it's made of citadelium, and it's just generally unfun. About the only thing you can say for it is that it gets 203's at a relatively low tier, and you can use AP to do some nasty critadels.

I'm going to second this. I love dropping AP on enemy Furutakas.

Also I checked and retraining a captain doesn't ditch his progress towards the next level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

God I don't want to fight more Atlantas. Even if you kill them you're going to be set on fire at least twice.

Atago is great though, I feel like it has a much better torp field of fire than other CAs.