Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I'm pretty new to this game and in a game last night I sent an HE volley from the tier 3 German cruiser into the broadside of some rank 2 destroyer and looked away cause he popped smoke and was about to disappear and then I got a "destroyed" ribbon and devastating hit and lucky hit achievement. I have no idea what happened cause I dunno where I hit him but he loving blew up in one go. Magazine blew up or full citadel penetration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Hazdoc posted:

The Lucky Hit achievement is rewarded for the first time you get a kill with a detonation. Its pretty much random. You will detonate eventually, too.

the game before that happened the exact thing happened to me. a cruiser broadsided me and just blew me the gently caress up

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I really have no idea what I'm doing in this game as a destroyer yet but I seem to have success when I spend the first half scouting ships and the second half flanking lone BBs from the opposite side they are shooting at. Bagged 2 BBs and a CV in my tier 4 US destroyer last night.

Should I be staying with my own BBs more and smoking them or just lone wolfing it and providing support where needed?

Also I like Japanese cruisers so far but the furytaka (I forget how to spell it) has been really hard for me. People seem to just shoot it like it's a BB the second I'm spotted and I usually can't get away in time. Should I be playing it like the previous IJN cruisers and just be a large DD?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I can never find the right position as a cruiser or destroyer, I just luck into them sometimes. I try and stay near islands but I either end up doing nothing or getting too impatient and dying in a stupid way.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Which NA clan should I join? I want cheap ships, I'm in tier 4/5 in the lines I want to pursue

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Burt posted:

Accepted you and Tathris.

Nope you can play whatever you want and be as poo poo as you like, no one gives a gently caress. You will however be playing with some VERY good players who can offer a lot of advice that will make you a better player.

Also if you need to div up just ask, most people are happy to do their dailies in low tier ships.

I have 3 more applicants, Nightwatch64, Macoco123, and Pulzzzz. if any of these are you post in here and I'll accept you. We are now at 29 members so I will start to cull some people soon, but we have players who haven't played for 80 days+ so it won't be a chore.

Actually even if Nightwatch64 isn't a goon I may accept him as I need to know how you actively get a 43% win rate.

My win rate is like 45% but I was terrible for months and am just starting to get a handle on things, still lose a bunch, even if I do well. Also don't even have 300 matches yet I don't think

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I applied to NA DUNKN but it is full and I'm not good so I don't expect an accept. Maybe someone can make an overflow clan? Name is Kodaxx

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Applied as Kodaxx

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I just got the aboa and I'm having a worse time than the furutaka cause getting tier 8 ships in 90% of your games is lovely. Literally lose half my hp the second I'm spotted unless I play like a BB that can only shoot like 14km. Been leveling up RU cruisers lately and like them a lot. I think I might mainly level up USN DDs now that they are starting to click with me and I'm having consistently good (and fun) games.

Do Russian cruisers get smoke eventually or is that only British ones?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Only British ones. There is a tier 8 Soviet premium which has smoke, and a USN tier 7 that is a ranked reward ship, but that's all.

If I like how DDs play, is it worth going down British cruisers instead of Soviet, or IJN? I'm at tier 6 in IJN and having a poo poo time cause of having 5 BBs in every game so I've been leveling up russia (at tier 4 atm) cause tier 5 and higher is just an absolute nightmare most of the time if I'm not in a battleship (and extremely boring if I am)

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Is he NA or EU?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I bought an iron Duke for 50% off during the sale a couple days ago and I got the 10% discount in tier 5 in UNCUT (and I didn't read and sold my orion for half price cause I'm an idiot)

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

What's the best way to get camo? I use to get a bunch from the crates but now I barely get any, let alone the xp ones. Is it best to just buy some?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Well there shouldn't be more battleships than the other types of ships yet most of my games have 4-5 BBs and 2-3 destroyers and cruisers so maybe they should limit them a little bit. I don't see a lot of carriers lately either.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Submarines.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Isn't the amoured control tower on most ships counted as a citadel hit?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Every game I play now has BBs sitting at max range trying to land hits on other ships while me trying to play cruisers gets targeted by every single battleship or I'm hiding behind rocks doing nothing for minutes at a time for fear of eating enemy BB shells since ours won't even attempt to tank damage.

It's frustrating, especially when I get +2 uptiered cause wtf am I supposed to do?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

rex rabidorum vires posted:

How to Cruiser: Sail as safely towards cover as you can, as you start to reach cover with ships within your range turn around and sail angled from enemy BBs while weaving and changing speeds. The longer the game goes the more dangerous you are because of the tools that CA/CLs get that.

Unless you are going to be un-spotted or are yolo'ing avoid shooting with BBs around when you are sailing towards the enemy. The mini map is your friend and if you aren't looking at it between every few volleys if not every volley then you need to start doing that. Try to avoid being sandwiched between 2 separate groups of BBs trying to snipe you. It makes kiting and weaving incredibly difficult. Know that as a cruiser you HP is a commodity to be traded for kills only (usually). The longer you preserve your HP the better. Also know RNG might just gently caress you and you die :shrug:

What specific cruisers are you trying to play?

Aoba and the tier 5 Russian one. That's how I usually try and play but it just doesn't happen sometimes or I sometimes just eat a lucky AP volley from an enemy and die/lose half my hp. I've learned to hug islands most of the time but sometimes you just end up hosed cause if you move you die and if you don't you die.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I played mainly battleships to begin with (got the tier 6 German and 5 UK) but god drat is it boring and the poo poo accuracy thing doesn't help so I started playing crusiers and they're a lot of fun (most of the time). I like DD play as well but I've had bad luck with my Nelson recently so I've been playing cruisers lately.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

pokchu posted:

Playing BBs helps a lot with aiming, simply because it forces you to make your shots count. At 20-30 seconds reload, you're pretty capped on the amount of shells you can launch in a 20 minute game, so it behooves you to learn how to hit things when you do finally smash that mf'in shoot button.

Ive gotten a lot better with aiming now. I find the azimuth is more important than the pitch. Even if a ship is coming towards/away I find you don't have to aim up or down very much

Edit: I use the different types of ammo a lot. AP for cruiser broadsides and HE any other time. I just need to learn the maps more and not be on stupid lovely teams. I should probably divison/discord more but I don't like using my mic all the time

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 6, 2017

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Does it fly like war thunder at all? I tried warplanes when it first came out and it was a crock of poo poo but war thunder is still really fun and their arcade flight mode works great with kb+m

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Warthunder is just starting to get into ships so I bet they will have all 3 in battles pretty soon (plus warthunder has better tank and plane mechanics)

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah, but they've made it pretty clear their "ships" will include nothing bigger than an anti-aircraft barge. Not quite the same as what Wargaming is offering if you're at all reeled in by the history of warships. A lot of people are, myself included.

I have 0 problems with warships, I just like the way war thunder handles damage and health more but that is really hard for ships so I'm fine with the way warships work. Wargaming tanks and planes are just super dumb (to me).

Plus warthunder has the whole combined arms thing which is pretty fun. It's a flight game first and foremost though

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The combined arms thing was a lot more fun before they hosed it up by nerfing bombs over and over again. Most of the AT cannons still don't even work right, or didn't when I quit.

skygods always make tanks angry. I haven't played WT in a while but I played it A LOT when combined arms first came out. Most of the reasons why cannons never killed tanks well (most of the time) in WT is cause the tiering is all hosed up so you have tanks with 50+mm of angled armour being shot with like 25mm guns that can't hope to penetrate. Only the early 37mm fighters were any good and they nerfed them to hell cause they could kill half the team with impunity if no one good was flying against the pilot

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JUjq7TJshE

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I still have fond memories of when players could choose to spawn planes or tanks first. The Germans, without fail, would choose nothing but King Tigers and Jadgtigers to crush the Americans in their Shermans.

The Americans would spawn 3/4ths of their team in fully loaded P-47s and bomb the ever-loving poo poo out of the tank convoys trudging toward the objectives.

Funny every time.

(or biplanes if youre really cool)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba1totv_FV4

[last WT video sorry]

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I'm about to get the tier 6 german cruiser and I had a lot of fun with the koenigsberg. I hear a lot of people complain about the nurnberg so I'm kinda nervous about upgrading but I gotta get up the line somehow

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Lol I was playing the other day and I got 4 loving fires in 3 salvos on a tier 4 British cruiser and killed him in like 2 minutes. He wasn't happy and I even said I got super lucky. Koeignberg is what I was using I think

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Rorac posted:

To add to this, the Tier 5 brit cruiser does have the best torpedoes at tier, with 2 sets of 6km range quad launchers per side. While most people find the Emerald to be pretty difficult and unpleasant to play, you can completely and thoroughly gently caress anything up in it. It's a very polarizing ship, and not many have mild opinions about it.

The Minotaur is incredible, and absolutely worth the grind. You can just clobber anything within about 10km of you, and any DD unfortunate enough to round a corner and find you within range is gonna poo poo it's pants, with possibly the exception of a Khab, and only because they abandon all sense of sanity once they get into it, or has been my experience fighting them thus far.

It should be noted also (again, in my experience) everybody likes shooting at RN cruisers, so expect to become public enemy #1 if you get spotted. If you can deal with that, they're pretty amazing.

I hate the Emerald and I was excited to level up British cruisers but every game I play with the Emerald the games are full of BBs I can barely even damage cause of the always AP. It just feels like a slog trying to level it up. I enjoy American and German cruisers a lot tho. I also don't feel like I do a lot of damage to cruisers with British AP but everyone says it does so maybe I'm doing something wrong

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I knew buying a Kidd would pay off. Its fun as hell to play and deleting planes is cool

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I bought the 20 medium packs and I mostly got flags and camo, but I did get that 7 gun russian destroyer and like 4k gold so I guess I didn't lose money (lol i lost it the second it went to WG)

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

:killdozer:

Okhotnik is pretty neat when people let you get into torp range. Sadly I ate a counter-torp from a Kuma I killed or else I would have gone on to harvest their two CVs. Just under 38k commander XP too!

I can't get that ship to click for me. The guns turn so slow and the ship handles like a cruiser so I just eat shells and its impossible to dodge yolo torps from other DDs. I got the molotov from boxes as well and I am loving that ship though. Rail guns that do really good HE and AP damage

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Sperglord Actual posted:

The 750,000 free XP ship is going away in the near-ish future, to be replaced by a 900,000+ free XP ship that probably will not be as good.

I think they said its still going to be 750k, and they increased the reload time of the new ship too but yeah the old one is still better

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

xXWehrabooXx posted:

Musashi got reload time buffed to 30s.
Has a gimmick of longer floatplane duration

I meant decreased, brain thought increase = better

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

You might be aiming too high/low. And German dispersion is a nightmare (if you're using them which it looks like you're not)

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I think it's HE most of the time but don't be afraid to AP broadside targets. Some UK BBs have really good AP but I forget which ones

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Are there any “get good” guides folks can recommend? I hate feeling like I’m a liability to my team. I accidentally drove into someone and felt so ashamed I quit the game :cripes:

You will drive into people a lot. You will also run into islands a lot. I found the best way to learn to play was just practice and I watch Flamu sometimes but I like watching Yuro more cause he's not as serious.

Mainly just watch the minimap a lot and try to position yourself so you're not the first target and start to understand how concealment works and use it to your advantage. Also learn which islands you can shoot over.

I'm also not that good but I'm a lot better than I was a few months ago

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I like the AA buffs on my Cleveland cause naval battles are always cooler when the AA is firing too. Plus gently caress carriers

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Tathris posted:

Sounds like you are still under newbie protection.

I'm not sure of the exact details of it, but I think you lose it when you either hit tier 5 or a certain account level.

After it's gone you will pretty much never see a bot again (or at least I never do on EU even when i play at stupid times of night. I can't speak for NA).

I think its tied to your profile level or whatever it's called. You have to progress it to unlock captains etc.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Is that premium or standard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

There are clan battle only ships now? Or being added? I don't even have a (non-premium) tier 8 ship with any country yet :(