Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I just blew a North Carolina to hell with a quad citadel from my Tirpitz last game (Which is admittedly the first time it's happened to me :v: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheDemon posted:

I outdueled a Cleveland from full health in my stock Omaha the other day. Don't see what the big deal is :v:

That, uh, is a very shameful Cleveland captain, god drat. That thing absolutely obliterates other cruisers with AP. I've actually gotten an 8x citadel one shot against an Omaha (or might have been a Murmansk) in the Cleveland, it's so good.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

demonR6 posted:

I get really lovely quality with Fraps for some reason and switched to MSI Afterburner where it was much better. Fraps bogged down the computer too which was odd because it is not that large of a program but ended up being a hog nonetheless. I switched to AB years ago though.

Of course he can always post up the raw replay and people can tear it apart frame by frame looking for some conspiracy too.

The method that FRAPS uses to record video is basically garbage compared to more modern choices like (Afterburner/Shadowplay/DxTORY) which take advantage of built in encoders on your GPU to do the job transparently with no performance loss.

You do still need a hard disk with enough throughput to handle the recording, depending on the quality level you choose, but so long as you are recording to a disk different than the one you have your OS on you'll rarely if ever see issues.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Warspite also boasts larger caliber guns than anything else on her tier, which is amazing for loving poo poo up.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Karanas posted:

I'm looking for advice concerning the final upgrade to install on my Iowa. I'm seriously hesitating between Artillery Plotting Room 2 which increases main battery accuracy, but does not say by how much, and Main Battery Modifications 3 which reduces main battery loading time and traverse speed by 12% and 17% respectively.
What's the general goon opinion about those upgrades?

Are you sure that's what the second one does, because usually that upgrade makes you reload slower in exchange for faster turrets.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheFluff posted:

ranked on ocean with one less bb than the other team is pure agony in a cruiser :negative:

That still works, but I've noticed some ships (Arkansas Beta comes to mind) being weird and not doing that.

Well, the Arkansas beta has zero AA at all, so that might be it?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RandomPauI posted:

How do you unlock skills for captains anyways? So you need like hundreds of battles in a given ship?

You can move captains between ships, but yes, just a shitload of games.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

BadLlama posted:

Warspite.

^^ I like Warspite a lot.

It has very slow turrets, but it's also over-gunned for it's tier, since you're packing 15" guns while other T6 BBs are still using 14"s. It's also fast (Well, for a BB) and very tough.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tsurupettan posted:

I am too new to have a basis for what is a bad boat beyond what goons tell me. I'm like a newborn child, pure and innocent.

Yeah I saw the bit in the OP about playing the Nagato and I was hoping this line included other ships that I can get stuck in with. Thanks!

Also holy poo poo the Kongou looks really loving fast for a BB.

It is, because it's more of a Battlecruiser than a Battleship. It has 10cm less armor on it's citadel compared to other T5 BBs.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheDemon posted:

Buying a ship for $$ and throwing yourself in the deep end of tier 6 to 8 games has got to be terrible. Low tier gameplay is actually fun in this game! I get not liking the grind but man, some people have more money than sense.

The Tirpitz faces all the way up to T10s, so if you actually bought it and got dropped in to a game with 5 TX destroyers on the other team, just lol.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

NTRabbit posted:

New ones? Is this on EU? I don't see anything on NA, although the extended tree mod has always shown Haruna, Hiei and Kirishima waiting in the wings.

And yes, they're just premium elite Kongos, but ARP is its own nationality, so you can't use them to train IJN captains.

e: EU it is, and yeah, free ships at the end. Higher requirements this time around.

E:

Actual requirements are waaaay better this time. No loving setting fires. Just playing the game by shooting things will get them all eventually.
Stage one: T5 or higher, deal 1million damage, ez. Rewards a captain.
Stage two, T5 or higher, score 2000 main battery hits, rewards a Kongo.
Stage three, T7 or higher, deal 2 million damage, rewards a captain.
Stage four, score 3000 main battery hits, rewards another kongo and 5 300% xp flags.

Second mission,
T7 or higher, destroy 100 ships, rewards 500k credits
T7 or higher, deal 10 million(!) damage, rewards 1 million credits
T7 or higher, be in top 2 XP on the team and win the game, rewards a rank 16 Captain and 5 300% xp flags.

This one is definitely a bigger grind, but you don't need to set loving fires to do it so who cares.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 1, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ArchangeI posted:

It's for the people who need to collect all the waifus.

Even lacking a tier 7, I guess I will actually get one this time. Last time I just couldn't be bothered after I read the requirements. gently caress setting fires.

The last Kongo didn't require fires, it needed all of ~5 games in a fighter loaded Bogue instead, infinitely easier. The free Myoko was the awful one.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

squidflakes posted:

I just got in to tier 4 battleships and I'm finding that the dispersion is pretty loving terrible when you fire a full volley. Does anyone else fire one at a time or is there some skill I'm missing that helps?

How many guns you fire doesn't really matter. There is an upgrade that makes your main battery more accurate, although I'm not sure if it's available on T4 ships.

On the Wyoming in particular, it's just really bad at long range. You need to get in close, at least sub 10km, and just dunk on cruisers all day like that. (Ideally you don't get tossed in to the super deep end of a t4-6 range match, because you'll just get murdered in that case.)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

NTRabbit posted:

I have Windows 10 which doesn't have MSE, but this problem still afflicts me. Windows 10 has Windows Defender built in instead, but it won't let me add any exclusions because reasons.

Sure it does? I just set it after reading that post and it works great.

Hit settings in windows defender, you get this screen where you can just add the entire WoWs folder:

e: What version of win10 are you running? I guess this might make a difference.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Arishtat posted:

This is a pretty common thread for most Atlanta spottings. Very, very *very* rarely one does something useful such as cover a carrier with AA or successfully hunt destroyers. Most of the ones I come across get too far forward (because their gun range is poo poo) and then get wrecked by concentrated fire from half of the enemy team because people *hate* getting shot at by Atlantas and they know that they're squishy little ships. They're much like the Tenryu and Kuma in that they're big destroyers but lack the agility and smoke ability of destroyers so they just die.

While I typically have fun in the Atlanta, it's more in the "Annoy the gently caress out of people by chaingunning them" rather than "Actually do a huge ton of damage and get kills" sorta way.

Sometimes things just work out though, last night I had a great game, 6 kills of three DDs that tried to sit still hiding in smoke while eating 5k+ HE volleys, a couple german cruisers that decided it was OK to go broadside to me while looking somewhere else, and then a Tirpitz that sailed around an island at point blank 2.5km range, to eat a full 4 torp spread and explode in to many pieces.

I don't think I've ever actually hit someone with the Atlanta's puny 4km torps in a T8 match, ever.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

kaesarsosei posted:

I really don't like the Kirov...yes its got monster Damage but the turning circle and lack of armour coupled with Yamato-like visibility is a big problem on some maps. On the Straits map I basically had to be alert and hit reverse as soon as the game started to avoid getting spotted first thing by enemy crusiers and DDs and nuked from the starting position.

I think the Buddy is miles better (lazer accurate, double the RoF, far less visibility, much better armour and mobility) and tbh I feel like its going to get nerfed. Once i get the DE skill I reckon I'll be starting a fire every single salvo at 15k and under. I got the Zao and the Buddy in the same week and they are remarkably similar.

I agree with Burt, I've come to like the Yorck more than the Myoko. If I could transfer my 14 point captain from Myoko to Yorck I would sell Myoko in a heartbeat. As it is, I want to get to Hipper and I need to use my Yorck captain on it.

Those god damned glacially slow turrets on Myoko are just so painful. You know it's bad when a loving Battleship has faster turrets than a cruiser does.

I like the Kirov for it's guns, fast turrets, and great firing angles/shell arcs, but gently caress if that thing isn't a glass cannon. If you get in a T5-7 game you're turbofucked. In a pure t4/5 game it's silly good though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CitizenKain posted:

I hope the Kirov is an improvement over the Bogy and the Svietlana, because so far those are both terrible.

Kirov is waaay better than those, it his harder from longer range with better arcs than any other T5 cruiser. It's also got ambush torps in good arcs to boot, It's only failing is the gigantic turning circle and mediocre armor.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah I tried all of those tips earlier in the thread, they didn't have any effect.

That sucks because the windows defender thing changed my game from ~45 second loads to 5 seconds!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheDemon posted:

I have always wanted a Tirpitz.

But it's going to cost me...

It's pretty worth it when you end up as the top tier BB in a T6-8 game, because the fast rate of fire and uber fast turrets (They're seriously a lot faster than a Myoko's turrets) combined with the huge HP pool just wreck poo poo so hard. And it's really fast. And it has "Haha gently caress off" torps. (It's still totally fine in 7-9 or even t10 matches, but isn't nearly as standout there)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Wow it really is a giant cruiser with those guns. Great turret speed and reload though. Seems like it'd play way differently than other BBs, in that you probably aren't going to get any citadels on same tier BBs with it, but you should do ruinous damage just punching through superstructures and fore/aft unarmored parts.

That rudder shift is so bad though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm not a fan of the Wyoming/Arkansas Beta goofy turret arcs in back, and it's got none too hot accuracy, but your competition is the Myogi so just loving LOL. If you get in close enough to negated getting RNG dispersion hosed it pukes out so many shells that you're practically guaranteed one shot dunks all over the place.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

NTRabbit posted:

I opened the link and then got distracted and forgot to read it before posting didn't realise there was a preview up already; still the same thing though, fake names applied to what I'm 99% certain are H-39 and H-41, because they don't use project names for paper ships

Wargaming putting in one of the silly German paper ships with 18" or 20" guns would be an amazing/hilarious gently caress off to the Yamato craziness.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

demonR6 posted:

Tanks aren't sacred so why the hell would ships be any different to WG right?

I never played WoT (Only War Thunder) so I wasn't sure how quick they were to bust out the paper tigers to fill in the obvious holes for things like German and Russian navies.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'll play some lowbie badships with you icefist :3

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I like Warspite a lot- it has 15" guns vs 14" on everything else T6, and good secondaries/AA/ maneuverability. It's also faster than US BBS.

The only downside imo is glacial turrets.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
When Brit ships are actually introduced I'd wager the non premium will have the different pre ww2 refit with torps/ post refit with AA available.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Latin Pheonix posted:

I was going to argue that they were probably referring to underwater tubes which aren't really workable in WoWs but I noticed that the Amagi had swivel-mounted tubes on its deck so I guess that's the decision they've made :shrug:.

Underwater forward facing tubes would work totally fine, going by the April fool's event- All those ships had nose mounted torps with super narrow arcs.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ToiletDuckie posted:

It's probably a lack of understanding of late-tier, but I bought a Tirpitz on a whim and it's been... painful. I do more damage on average with a Svietlana. It's a constant stream of Tier VIII-X games that are 45/40/10/5 BB/DD/CL/CV split where you either get invisi-burned/torped or end up facing a Montana/Yamato.

Nagato feels nowhere near as painful since it's usually in VI-VIII games with more even mix of ship types. Is this just early confirmation bias?

Iiiii think it's just you, Tirpitz is amazing. You just can't hang back and snipe with it, despite the excellent range.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Amagi has ~100mm less armor on it's citadels than you do in a New Mex, too.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Hazdoc posted:

Plunging fire. The Tirpitz is very well protected against citadel hits coming in from the side, but not against plunging shells. The armor is also not good at stopping normal penetrations. Aim for as center as you can, don't worry about citadels. The Tirpitz can't afford to let all its HP get shaved off by salvo after salvo of penetrating hits and still be healthy enough to close range and brawl. If you force a Tirpitz to turn away and pull range, you're doing well. American BBs are more likely to citadel the Tirpitz due to their high shell arcs being more beneficial for plunging fire.

This is totally my experience driving the Tirpitz, at least.

Luckily, it has really excellent concealment even without a concealment expert captain, so you can usually choose whether or not to expose yourself to the type of long range plunging fire that will wreck you.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You're not missing anything, the Kawachi (And Myogi) really are just slow, bad, miserable piles of garbage.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was playing against a guy yesterday whose torpedo bombers were dropping at 1km. Is there a secret to getting them in that close? I thought that the circle was maybe 2km radius.

Manual drops, use alt.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

BadLlama posted:

So apparently the tier 5 German cruiser can just shoot its AP into the Scharn super structure for 3-6K volleys every 6 seconds or whatever. Why does the Scharn take so much damage to their superstructure?

That's not unique, you can do that to every BB with a large superstructure.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That's pretty much the german CA line's whole thing, good rapid fire AP to ventilate superstructures with. They really shine at doing it in T5/T6.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Usually the Gremyaschy gets tossed in to those blahg T5-T7 matches, where it's only OK ish.

But once in a while, you get in a T4/T5 game, and, well, it's just fantastic.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

xthetenth posted:

It has started being at ground zero for poo poo tiering though. It's a kickass ship but being a great tier five only goes so far against tier sevens.

Yea, I mean, it's a super ship (And you can see the screenshot I posted, kraken, high caliber, and confederate with 160k damage in a DD is silly) but against T7 gunboat DDs you can just get completely loving torn up because the turrets are so slow.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Razzled posted:

Cool cool, I guess I'm just still scarred from the Myogi

To be fair, the Myogi is so shockingly bad that it is a lot of PTSD to get over.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ice Fist posted:

I got my 2nd ever triple citadel last night. I was in a NY shooting a Kongo who was bow on and reversing. For some reason he started to turn and after waiting patiently he eventually revealed his entire broadside. The rest is obvious.

This was the only gem of a night of ship driving ruled by pubbie stupidity. I think I won like 2 out of 12 games or something. Too lazy to look it up, but it was just not a good night.

Oh, and I got detonated from full health in a NY by a random carrier torpedo. Fun times.

I think my only triple citadels have been against Kongos and cruisers. (It's usually in a New Mexico, too. NM is the best boat.)

e: I take that back, I've had great fun in the the Atlanta and pre-nerf Cleveland- Amazing for a billion citadels against other cruiers, they just don't do 45k damage like a BB's would.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Handsome Ralph posted:

I know it's been said about a dozen times by now but I'm just gonna throw my testimonial on here in case anyone is still on the fence, the Scharnhorst is loving amazing and worth buying. Really fun to play as well.

First premium ship I've ever bought and she's worth every loving penny.

Though now I'm debating buying a Warspite. :britain:

I like the Warspite a ton, even with the glacial turret traverse, the guns themselves are just so incredibly good, and the extremely good maneuverability makes up for the slow turrets in part. These days you see T8 games super often in T6 BBs though which is sadness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Minenfeld! posted:

I don't know why I'm having this problem, but I cannot for the life of me kill Atlantas or citadel them. I have the problem across my Molotov, Warspite, Scharnhorst, Tirpitz, Nagato and on and on. What am I doing wrong?

Probably aiming too high. Atlanta is such a skinny ship that you'll just over pen unless you get a solid belt hit.