Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Carriers are...not that fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I take it back carriers are actually fun if you do a cross torpedo run and trap a bb in it. i am somehow topping the charts in score but i imagine a lot of that is just shooting down other planes

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

demonR6 posted:

Also while the torp talk is still fresh.. enemy torpedo bombers have issues attacking you if you are moving too close to an island. Watched a squadron waffle around for a bit then drop them in shallow water where most blew up on contact and the other did not do poo poo apparently. They get confused in other words and don't act correctly.

Yea I had some instances where no matter what, the angle was wonky and not bombing right.

Add a good destroyer throwing down smoke and it's just overall frustrating :argh:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hammerstein posted:

CVs might need a little....adjusting...

That only works vs dumb pubs, if you go manual then you have no such issues.

Also -> secret manual hint: you can enable manual aim while heading to a way point, it's usually a far more reliable method to get your planes to do their attack run on time instead of circling back to the launch point. The important part is to set the attack from outside the circle.

My Independence got absolutely murdered by a Saipan with Buffalos holy poo poo talk about a fighter upgrade.

It would also be nice if you could adjust the spread of torpedo bombers along with their angle of attack but that could be stupidly overpowered against a slow BB

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hammerstein posted:

Hold Alt for an attack vector. If I get to it I will make some lovely Paint diagram to explain my current tactics. The important part is to have your planes launch their torp without a delay, you can do this by either setting a waypoint and then going manual while they move there, or while they hover over a waypoint. If you give them a waypoint but set a manual attack vewctor which is too far away then they will circle around a bit until they get in position and this will foul up your run. Once you practice this a bit it becomes clear how it works and you will never go back to auto with torp bombers.

You can also set the direction they attack from by moving the little icon on the target circle.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What's the key to get into manual mode for planes? I cant seem to have an independent bombing run unless i click on the target

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Vengarr posted:

Alt.

You can also use shift to select two+ bombing groups at once, in case you want to drop all your torps from one direction. (for instance, some idiot beached himself).

No, even if the enemy ship is in the green area your torps might not detonate. Same with destroyers and cruisers, if you drop torps at point-blank they'll just PLONK off the hull. It's seems to be like halfway through the green firing indicator or just a bit before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMk_lLalrAg

This video sums up everything really nicely.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

AfroSquirrel posted:

I can't decide which is better: Torpedoes or pretending I'm a pirate firing broadsides from my St. Louis

buy naval action for all your pirate boner needs

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gamesguy posted:

What is the loadout attribute on fighters? Is it worth upgrading the fighters on the Independence?

I believe the loadout is the amount of rounds they have. Each plane is most certainly worth upgrading. The Saipan has the Buffalo which is double the damage of stock. It absolutely murders.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Being in a Saipan with Buffalos against anything lower is just...unfair. Sorry dudes but your planes are going to get straight up murdered by me and then it's free reign for my torpedos. Luring enemy fighters with your bombers is also fun because a smart BB will help you out tremendously

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Today I learned that the Navy is just as competent as pubbies and the Military Industrial Complex corruption has been going on since forever.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It's a shame WW2 boats isn't that sweet spot of technology and dueling like tanks and planes are. Massive battleships that plug in numbers in computers and fire away towards a target they can barely see is pretty boring. There's nothing exciting and personal about it. I think the period for quick exciting engagements like that that would end at the 18th century with ships broadsiding each other.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

So basically what Naval Action is going for?

Pretty much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Madurai posted:

Age of sail battles lasted for hours and are the exact opposite of "quick engagements."

Quick was the wrong word. The close quarters, constant jockeying for a superior position and knife fighty aspect of it all