Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Infected posted:

PANSY(NA) or 2PAC(EU) TS will probably be used for botes I venture. Just look in PGS for the respective threads to get the info.

There's anime-stained botes channel on 2PAC TS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
EU beta invites are out - be fast:

http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/CBT-invites-second-wave/

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Missing Name posted:

If anyone here is interested in historical boatsperging, have some of my recommended reading material... I have all of these on my bookshelf, mixed in with the assorted poo poo floating about.

The World's Worst Warships by Anthony Preston
He's in the train of thought that the Bismark and Hood were both awful ships, equally doomed when they were sent into battle. Amazon reviews bitch about both inclusions :allears:

Aircraft Carriers of the World, 1914 to the Present by Roger Chenseau
A tad old (OK, 30 years out of date in my edition) discussing the genesis of seaborne sky cancer, the development of the system and pretty pictures of just about any ship that carried planes.

Type VII U-Boats by Robert Stern
Deals with KM Nicht in Spiel and all of its variants.

As for other things not currently in my collection (but flipped through and coveted or borrowed):

Conway's Fighting Ships series. Did it float in a navy? Then it's got a detailed spec sheet.

I am Norman loving Friedman and I Write Lots of poo poo by Norman loving Friedman
no, really, his job is NAVAL WARFARE HISTORIAN

watch this space for additions

French Battleships 1922-1956, John Jordan & Robert Dumas. Absolutely stunning amount of info on Dunkerque and Richelieu classes.

Also, entire Anatomy of a Ship series is amazing.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dalael posted:

Its guns may have been knocked out at one point, but that was most likely resulting from heavy damage inflicted while being completely outnumbered.

Actually, it was mostly result of a bad design - exposed electrical wiring and design flaw that caused stern to collapse onto the rudders and screws. Bismarck was a bad design, overweight and with obsolete armor scheme and it once got extremely lucky with blowing up Hood, an obsolete WWI-vintage battlecruiser that wasn't properly modernized because RN needed it to show the flag over the world. Its european counterparts (Richelieus, Littorios and KGVs) were more capable ships on less displacement.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is perhaps the best quick recap of why and how nazi ship design went sideways. Choice quote:

quote:

For example, the new battleships Scharnhorst and Gneisenau were found to be incapable of shooting their main guns in the autumn 1939. This could only be corrected after 22,000 yards (!) of useless electrical wires were removed and major modifications were made to the Fire Control circuits and mechanisms.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So, about US DDs - I just elited the Clemson and I love it. Is the rest of the line good and fun? Nicholas is also supposed to be very good, right?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blinks77 posted:

A worse NC then? As BB's live or die by their guns.

IRL Italian 381mm were some crazy powerful guns when compared to other european 15" guns.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

I can't find it, but I once saw a WoT video where the last 2 players were so terrible, they met up and were just dancing around bouncing rounds off of each other for 5+ mins. Anyone know what I mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI8OqQjca9k

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Heartcatch posted:

Hey! I remember this one.. as I recall Agrajag also ragequit WoT shortly after this and now posts a lot in CSPAM.

Different Agrajag, our EU Agrajag is Soulfucker on SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Redeye Flight posted:

I'm trying to imagine a player's reaction if they were put in command of Scharnhorst at the Battle of North Cape.

"Are you loving KIDDING me? The FIRST HIT knocks out the loving radar, and now I can't shoot anything? What the gently caress is this bullshit!"

IJN Taiho:

*Takes a torpedo hit, flooding*

*Player activates Repair Party consumable*