Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

crazyivan45 posted:

So is this the point where I mention I got a Belfast, Missouri, Kutuzov, and Nikolai (in addition to about 20+ other random ships) in Xmas containers? Granted I spent way more money than I want to go back and look at

I spent more than I should have and only ship worth winning was the Belfast. I want the Mo so bad I'm afraid I'm going to keep grinding containers for it.

I got 7 ships out of the first 40 big crates only to get skunked on probably the next 25-30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Velius posted:

Why would you want the Missouri that badly? It has a better than normal credit modifier but it’s still an Iowa class. So it’s a fast battleship with a giant above water citadel and really floaty shells. I have it and I rarely enjoy games with it.

It's a collectors thing and a sentimental thing as dumb as that sounds. It was based in Puget Sound for a long time and I have fond memories of boating by the real thing when I was a kid.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

sc0tty posted:

Planes are really annoying now. Whats the best line to go down to be an aircraft killing machine...?

I find gun boat DD's to be a great way to surprise CV players. They tend to ignore you until they hit the surprise wall of flak. I led a team in plane kills in my Akizuki.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

toadee posted:

Good news! You can go visit other WoWS ships such as:

Massachusetts
Salem
Haida
Missouri
Iowa
Alabama
Arizona
North Carolina
Lexington
Kidd
Midway

I may have missed some, but there's definitely a plethora of Allied warships to go visit

The Blyskawica is also a museum ship.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

toadee posted:

A competent CV player will never miss your DD with rockets. Your solution is get hosed.

This has been my experience. I really think there needs to be an accuracy nerf on rockets. Had a throw away a round because the CV had a hardon for my DD and did 10k damage in two strikes. Was dodging and weaving the whole time

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Whaled and bought the Exeter. Surprisingly fun, plays very strong in t5, good in t6, peters out in t7 but not hopeless as 203mm hurts no matter what tier it's shot from

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Any space left in BOATC? My current clan is lame and inactive

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Applied to BOATC, same name as here

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Is there a BOATC discord? I'd like to get involved in the upcoming clan wars

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I'm new to clan wars, how does the scheduling work? Is it just one match per night?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I’d also like to know this as well 🐳

WAG here but I'd say when the next Fly Strike Win campaign unlocks since it includes the premium CV's in it.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
how are the returns on boxes? I know it's gambling but curious how people are faring

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Follow up question, I bought 5 boxes but haven't had time to open yet. If you were to purchase just one premium CV which one? Initial reports have me thinking Saipan but I'd like to hear other opinions.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Bought 5 crates. 40 flags, 37500 coal. Not bad, what the hell there's $18 steam bucks in my account lets roll 5 more. 1st roll Saipan. 2nd Roll Graf Zeppelin. 3rd 12500 coal. 4th Enterprise. 5th roll flags. WG made this gambit worth it, kudos to them.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Velius posted:

What’s exciting about Narai?

I haven't played any ops before, whats the deal with that one? Folks game to div up and show the way?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I had some doubloons laying around and grab the Scharnhorst. 1st match was 722k credits. That'll play

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Hegel Exercises posted:

Anyone whale their way to the early access Soviet BB’s? Their gimmick seems to be mid-range tanky which seems interesting.

Got 5, 6, and 8. Pretty pleased. Only bought a 4 pack.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

I had to give up on playing Narai, JFC. :psypop:

Yup. Had a Colorado go north for the CV, but then actually went out of bounds and around the island. Our KGV decided to go after transports while we had an Atlanta taking care of it. We lost the round.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I got in on a couple CW in the beginning but timing has been tough and I'm bad enough to be a detriment to the team so I've stayed out for the most part.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

toadee posted:

But why would they? You can quite easily maintain a Unicum/Super Unicum winrate in CVs literally not caring at all about anyone on your team and not doing anything other than damage farming as hard as possible.

Bring back the fighter squadron as a playable unit that can strafe TB and DB into oblivion. Make a CV a hard counter for the other CV. It's the biggest balance issue in the game. Every other surface ship counters itself, but the CV has no natural enemy so it's free to farm damage.

I'm not concerned about enemy CV's wiping my CV then deleting me, as currently I don't see any protection anyway. I think the alpha from CV's is low enough to be tolerable if your friendly got dunked on early the missing AA wouldn't be any different than now. It would however give the CV some skin in the game in regards to AA protection of the fleet.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Yes

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Are you running a secondary build on the GZ or are its secondaries just that accurate naturally?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

wdarkk posted:

It's determined by who you have locked. I mean, you could try to shoot at a target you don't have locked but unless they're right next to each other good loving luck.

Speaking of, managed to citadel a Prinz Eugen and a Mogami camping behind a rock with 1 salvo from my CO. Made my night

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

celewign posted:

Despite everyone saying the Krazy krym sucks I bought it and love it.

It's got so much dakka

Krispy Krem is fun, doubly so in a division of them. It's not a good ship, but this is only a game so fun works too.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Moral_Hazard posted:

I'm getting back into this game and finishing up Cleveland. Seattle looks like a Cleveland with a heal and one tier higher. Is there any reason to play her or just skip and go to Wooster?

Is there a goon overflow guild for us filthy casuals? I got booted (rightfully) from DUNKN for inactivity.

Seattle is more Wooster Jr. with worse gun angles than it is Cleveland with a heal

e. With ranked here at Tier 9 Seattle isn't half bad as a utility cruiser

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

This game needs the "kill - most damage dealt" mechanic from MechWarrior.
I SO love it when i shoot something down from 100 to 10 just to see a single volley soar past and take the kill.
Especially when its juuuuust a tad later than it needs to be, to impact exactly after mine.

You get more points for doing the damage than for the kill, possibly to a fault as you see people just farming damage when they could have helped focus other ships down.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I'm really loving the Leningrad, it is an absolute riot to play. Opted for RPF instead of CE on a 10point build and it just owns.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Cool, i need one more win with 66 base xp for this daily mission - proceed to lose 8 in a row

Always be co-oping for must wins of such a piddly amount

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
RNG can just go to hell. Had a flat broadside Kii in front of my nicely angled Vladivostok at 14.4km. He was parked in open water and I could not hit him. I sent 5 or 6 volleys and picked up a handful of ricochets and overpens.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Focusing DD's is not efficient. By all means take a swing at them when they're out in the open but leave hunting them until late game. Exceptions are usually around protecting yourself, or if your team is actually shooting at targets you spot, in which case toodling around for 30 seconds while they kill a DD isn't a bad use of time.

CV's are the most opportunistic class, focus on out of position ships, farm damage, cull the weak. You're going to get reported for playing CV anyway so don't worry about securing the kill.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ok, then it was hydro.
Still doesnt help if youre the only DD out of 7 targets and theres a CV on the field.

Hydro is pretty short range, I think tops around 5km at that tier. Look at your map, figure out where the likely Hydro is and boost outta there. Not saying you won't take a hit or two but if you haven't completely screwed yourself with positioning you should be fine. If you have screwed yourself with positioning it's a good lesson.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Leningrad is the obvious T7 choice, but what at 8 is the best for lulz?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I just got a Huanghe from the event container, is it any good and how do i captain it?

Treat it like a big DD. You have crawling smoke and access to a torpedo reload but I prefer hydro. It is undergunned but has pretty decent AA for T6.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Philonius posted:

Is there any consensus on what nation has a decently good line up across the board, for a beginner? Game is kind of fun but grinding out things will take a ton of time. Anyone have a short overview of the playstyles / strengths of the various countries?

USN is probably the easiest to start since they play pretty close to how a class is supposed to play with strong utility and few glaring weaknesses. I'm not good enough/experienced enough to speak for all the fleets and playstyles.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
USN CA's are the easy mode for that campaign. Super Heavy AP goes a long way towards easy cits and the HE ain't bad either.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
HSF is back in the shop, is the Harakaze worth it or should I pass?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Smolensk is bad for the game but I haven't had one do anything to my boats that another high ROF ship hasn't done. It's demoralizing and frustrating but the Smolensk is far from the first ship to be cancer to the game.

Maksimus54 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 8, 2019

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Bought the Harakaze. First game in randoms and I manage 2400k base XP. I left a fair bit on the table too I thought.

I think I might like this boat.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I don't even know how you get under 200 base xp in a random much less when you're the xp and kill leader. Sounds like an ugly round for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Progressively louder eurobeat while torps approach would be amazing.

Would pay for that mod