Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
If only I'd been able to start the download before work today.

I played a bit of everything but focused on BBs during the only weekend they let me in. Pubbies are just as stupid in this game as WoT; my Fuso was able to fight and win against two Nagatos at once because AP is just better than HE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

Where are the magazines? Is there something in game that shows it?

Varies by the ship. Generally you want to hit low (just above the waterline) and in the centre of the ship to try and get good citadel hits.

I can't think of many situations where it's better to fire HE than AP, because even if you're at a sub-optimal AP range that probably won't last very long, and even at "bad" ranges, one lucky AP shell will do more than the entire HE salvo. In a BB against lower tier DDs or in most things against carriers, I guess.

I actually had more trouble killing carriers than other BBs in my BBs. Most of them are even more fragile than DDs and they're very large targets so the important bits are all spread out. You want to light carriers on fire to prevent them from launching ships but unless you spread out your shots instead of firing in one volley a BB takes long enough to reload that they'll have enough time to repair and launch all their planes.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

I am really not good at this game, but my god are some people just awful. What is it with people who slow to a stop to shoot? Watched 3 guys drive into the open and just halt, oddly enough, went poorly for them.

Ships are really just big tanks when you think about it. :downs:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

bUm posted:

Played a good many hours tonight and had much fun; the only disappointment was that my long-abandoned WoT lions/gold didn't carry over.

It's still in beta. There's no reason to assume it'll be different from WoWP in that gold will be unified for the real release.

e:

cheese posted:

I get the feeling torpedoes are going to be the arty of WoWs. If they are not good enough, pubbies will suck with them and cry until they are buffed. If they are good enough for pubbies to do ok with them, then skilled players are going to be utterly overpowered with them. Of course, the difference is that in WoT arty is only a small minority in every game - in WoWs, torpedoes are THE defining weapon for half of the ship classes :shobon: They better get this right.

Torpedoes don't seem to be nearly as problematic, balance-wise, at higher tiers. For destroyers it's always risky for them to use them, and they only get more risky as they go up in tiers, but the reward can be good. Compared to BB guns, torpedoes are much riskier but provide higher and more consistent damage with flooding when they're used well. BB guns can do way more damage but there's considerably more RNG (or circumstances that are difficult to control) involved even when you hit.

The real problem, I feel, is low tier torpedo bombers before there's adequate AA. I say torpedoes do high damage at higher tiers, but in t3-5 or so they do even more damage in absolute numbers (and much more as a percentage of their targets health) because the ships (Japanese BBs in particular) have less armour.

Going from the Kongou to the Fuso makes a massive difference, cutting torp damage in half (and having more base health) while having good AA. In the Kongou or lower one torp bomber you didn't see until too late (or two boxing you in) basically ends the game for you. The Fuso and higher can weather a few waves of torpedoes and shoot down planes in return.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 13, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

srb posted:

Doesn't help that all of the Japanese battleships up until the Yamato uses the same basic secondary armament configuration, which is anti-destroyer/anti-cruiser only, with only a few dual purpose guns (two AA emplacements per side; Amagi gets 4). Gonna really suck in comparison if the US battleship hull upgrades get 5" dual purpose batteries for the mid tiers, giving them probably double the effective AA of Myogi, Kongo and Fuso.

Tatsuta still has the most hilarious AA setup. Four big sandbagged platforms around the first funnel featuring all of of one Maxim gun each.

Pre and early-war AA really isn't much.

My experience was that the Fuso and up rip apart planes. Maybe not fast enough to prevent a torp squadron from attacking but enough to panic it, reduce the number of torps, and leave it horribly bloodied. I was killing 20-30 planes in any decent match and keeping the skies thinned out, better still if you're near anything else with AA. Of course cruisers get even better AA, but the higher tier BBs are in the game as they are currently doesn't leave me worried.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 13, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

This game will satisfy my naval needs until War Thunder does ships right. Imagine something like the x-ray hit camera from War Thunder ground forces in a naval game, seeing where and what the shell penetrated instead of a pure rng system.

WoWS has penetration mechanics, it's not pure RNG, it's just opaque to users. It's just that with your cursor in the right place there's no much more you can do to get citadel pens. At close range you're sometimes in the situation where a "good" pen roll on a shell will actually cause it to overpen.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Sidescraping in a battleship is something that can happen by luck (or deliberately if you're stupid and give up all your momentum). During one of the CBT weekends I accidentally rammed into an island in such a way that, until they came around, the enemy could only really had shots at the side of my Fuso at a rather extreme angle. They weren't able to get citadel pens (keep in mind shells that don't pen the citadel will still do a small amount of damage) until they came around to get cleaner shots. I was a sitting duck though.

I think you might be able to ricochet shells off exposed thick armour for zero damage but it would require more testing and some luck. Immunity zones are definitely real, though the RNG on shell penetration and just luck of where the shell hits on the citadel can confuse the issue.

The game definitely has penetration mechanics, though unlike WoT you can't just ignore the range of the shot when thinking about penetration.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Got my Cleveland. The guns are really amazing but I feel the turrets are far too fragile. More games than not I'll permanently lose one, which is really harsh. It's got lower maneuverability than the Omaha so I'm getting wrecked by BBs more often too.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

It begins. :shepspends:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Playing this game for the first time since CBT and decided to give the US BBs a spin.

St Louis is still great, and the South Carolina is awful. Wasn't really expecting that completely impotent max range, though I don't even remember what the Kawachi had when I last played that.

Probably going to go up the IJN cruisers too, I don't trust my skills enough to play a destroyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Haven't played this game in six months, but I heard there was anime now so that makes it worth grinding. I basically lost heart after the final progress wipe during beta or whatever.

Where's the meta at right now in terms of AP vs HE? I've seen that pendulum swing both ways.

Did the Montana ever get buffed to keep up with the Yamato? I ground up to the Nagato twice during beta so I figured I'd give the US BBs a shot but then the SC crushed my soul.

Is there an effort post for equipment/upgrades like there is for captain skills?

And it wouldn't be a wargaming product without something breaking: