Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

James Garfield posted:

Also half the alpha testers end every sentence with "poi" for some loving reason. An option to block those testers would be nice because they talk way too much.

Maybe they're eager to get back to Pearl Harbor for a bowl of taro root stew and rice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

YellerBill posted:

It's what, ten minutes until the scheduled time for the sign-up period to begin?

That's the theory. But I hear they generally can't hit the target on the first salvo.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MoraleHazard posted:

In true Wargaming fashion, the Novgorod will be the Tier IV.

Who the hell thought that was a good idea? Had the designer even heard of Newton?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
SHowing closed - is it not linked off the main WOWS page?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Orv posted:

Got mine in, presumably. Had to go through the blog for it to stop lying to me.

Same. It's working, but you have to go through the blog. That little barrier to entry might help us aspirants get in. Fingers crossed!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Got my acceptance notice too! :toot:

Everyone I know who applied has been accepted, so I think they're being pretty liberal with it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
TIL don't buy ship upgrades, because you can't sell the ship again without piasters to remove the upgrades :negative:

This means I can never sell four of my ships, and they'll sit around taking up slots until we get some piasters.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

sarmhan posted:

You can click on demount in the sell menu and change it to sell instead.

SuperSix posted:

You call sell them without upgrades. It's on one of the tabs

Thanks guys! That was very helpful.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

chestnut santabag posted:

Oh man I would play the gently caress out of World of SpaceWarships.
I would also like to request to be put on the list for an EU key and would be extremely grateful to actually get one.

Good news! https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ranbo das posted:

We'll probably get a premium boat, considering the alpha testers got one.

This botes well for the future.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Cruisers won't sweat the secondary guns much, but they can definitely hurt destroyers (and are a strong reason for destroyer drivers to get good with torps at range, rather than diving into 2-3km).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

xthetenth posted:

No, iirc, hits knock them out temporarily, and penetrations total them.

As I climb up the tiers, pens have been happening more or more often. I've been finding myself in a castrated Pensacola trying to ram things before I get blown up.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Poil posted:

Speaking of that, I spotted a juicy battleship all alone and suddenly noticed it wasn't actually moving at all. Several seconds later it was still not so I knew it was safe to force feed it some manual torps even with my abysmal aiming skills. Weird thing is that given its position and the direction it was facing it wasn't someone who went afk at the start.

I've seen this (and been that person). Usually it's someone whose connection dropped in mid-battle.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Magni posted:

So, people losing lots of turrets lately actually had a reason - they snuck in the turret barbettes as part of the hitbox into the latest version.

And accidentally set their armor to 0.

Oops. :downs:

Oh for chrissakes. That would explain it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Had a wonderful match in the Fuso last night. I was cruising around the outer edges of the "south Pacific island" map when three Omahas in a squadron together come steaming around into view at extreme range. I manage to put the first one at half-HP in one volley; he goes "what the gently caress was that" in text chat before I sink him with the second volley. The second Omaha dies as fast as the first; two volleys and multiple citadel hits. The third one dies the same way, also complaining in text chat.

But the thing that really made the match gold was the fact that while I was busy fighting the Omahas, I realized I had ended up practically on top of the enemy carriers, who were pushing fairly far forward. So I'm laughing and praying I can kill them before their torpedo bombers get back. I'm doing well; I've set both carriers on fire with HE so they can't recover their bombers, and I'm close enough to one of the carriers that my secondaries are tearing big shreds of hull off him while my main guns reload. There's really no path forward for the carriers at this point...

Unless one of them does the only logical thing, and turns and rams me, killing us both. Which is exactly what the closer of the two carriers did, in a beautiful illustration of the value of ramming as a last-ditch desperation move. Goodspeed, carrier driver, godspeed and well done.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Drone posted:

Man, I really like the St. Louis.

It is a good ship. The Cleveland is better, and becomes downright hilarious in a match full of tier IV and tier V stuff.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Victor Surge posted:

Cleveland will have issues with the AP ammo change as well, I think.

Wh... what change? :stare:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Control Volume posted:

Is this game fun?

For now.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Burt posted:

It still works.

For now.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
So yeah, yesterday I finally figured out that the white stripe in the torpedo aiming mode isn't just a UI bug.

I'm getting a lot more torpedo hits now. :negative:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

PadreScout posted:

looks like today's patch killed the aim mod

Even with a reinstall?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Saw the funniest thing in a match yesterday:

A pubbie in a battleship, slooooowly peeking around and island... firing a volley... and then HITTING REVERSE and slowly, glacially backing up behind the cover of the islands again.

Like he was driving a 300-meter tank.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Magni posted:

How To Nagato:

1. Get the Secondary Battery Modification 2 upgrade
2. Get the Rudder Modification 2 upgrade
3. Get Advanced Firing Training on your captain
4. Don't spend the match sniping. Get stuck in and brawl people to death using your armor, fast rudder and the murderous short-range firepower of the 16-inchers and secondaries. :black101:

We seriously ought to just put this into the OP with how often it comes up.

This. I have seriously killed an entire Kongo from full health with Nagato secondaries while I mindlessly shot something else. And if a destroyer comes within 7.5km? Dead DD.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Heh, a pubbie spent half the match yelling at me for going up the left side behind a big island. Then I got three kills and won the match. (He specifically said I'd be useless and there would be nothing there to kill.)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Dalael posted:

Never let other players try and dictate where you go while playing a carrier. Most of them don't know any better and have never even played one. In the same match, someone will be bitching that you're not hanging far back enough, while someone else will bitch that you need to be closer.

Go where you think you need to be. While they're busy trying to snipe from the max range their BB allows, you are the one watching the whole map and seeing the big picture. If you think you'll be safe behind an island closer to the action, then go there.

I was in a Fuso :sun: Most of what I killed was at long range. Fuso so good.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Dalael posted:

drat. I was under the impression you were in a carrier..

So what did you do? Hide an island, or go in one of those channels where you have no place to manoeuver? Cuz thats risky man.

Went behind a bigass island, far enough away that i could shoot over most of it, took a few of them down to half-HP, then popped up behind them while the main group engaged from the other side and nuked 'em while they were distracted. Caught the enemy CV, too.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ElectricHeir posted:

I'm still not sure which mod you're referring to when you mention "aimbot" and I don't want to mess around with another mod, how much changes? I downloaded the Kancolle one (please don't bully me) because it had the alt-button-always-on thing which really helps. Does the other mod add a separate point to aim at or what?

Yes.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
:drat: get some timg on that, stat

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

JuffoWup posted:

I don't think it is just their lack of aim. AP shells not always doing damage helps too. I walked away with healf health in my ranger just now because I like to keep near my teammates for faster cycling of planes (not that they need help now that the choice is either a ground pound air group or air superiority group).

I feel like when you do get a citadel hit, it does more damage now though? Like, I hit a cruiser in the bow last night and did something like 22k damage.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

xthetenth posted:

It looks like they're modeling bows much better for being a prime target to let you punch into magazines.

I can get behind this. It sure was a shock to see a single shell do that much damage, even for a citadel hit.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

xthetenth posted:

It always had been that way. It actually seems a bit less now. I've taken some nasty hits to my bow recently.

Agreed, I think crossing the T is actually more viable now than it was.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Funso Banjo posted:

Most goons are using the aimbots. They're unlikely to be removed any time soon, so you may as well join the club.

In all seriousness, people are saying the aimbots are actually making the game more fun. If you're struggling, give them a shot.

I thought they were broken in this release?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

I Greyhound posted:

If you're in a cruiser with quick reloads, there's nothing wrong with ranging shots. In a long-reload BB:
1. Zoom in on target and lock onto it.
2. Hold alt and note flight time
3. Put the aimpoint where you think you should aim, focus on the ocean passing the aimpoint and start counting seconds.
4. Count in your head the number of seconds in the flight time, while watching the spot on the ocean that you were aiming at when you started counting.
5. If the enemy boat is passing over that spot when your count hits the flight time, then you have the right lead. If not, increase or decrease it accordingly.
a. Note that when locked and zoomed on an parallel enemy that doesn't change course, once you have your aim dialed in, you do not need to touch the mouse at all. Every salvo will land in the same area because it's locked on the enemy.
b. if you see the enemy turning, you have to estimate where he will be when the shells land; not hard to get close unless they're really nimble
c. There is a little bit of momentum from your movement, but that mostly comes into play when the enemy is grounded/stationary.

Doesn't the alt menu only show range, not flight time? Or am I just goddamn ignorant?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Wow, Amagi AA is no joke. Just killed 20 aircraft.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Dammit. Should have rammed the last guy on the enemy team while my guns were cycling, didn't, and he killed me first. Happily we won anyway.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Velius posted:

I'm trying to figure out when battleships become fun too. Fuso basically fires a shotgun of shells. You're slow, inaccurate, and incredibly vulnerable to everything.

Fuso has extremely long range. With upgrades, the accuracy becomes pretty decent. If you have good aim, it's probably the best sniper in the game.

Nagato has hilariously good secondaries (or did, I think they might've been nerfed in the last patch? I forget) - with appropriate upgrades, you can have like a 7.5 km secondary range that is basically a zone of death for destroyers. In fact, I've killed entire battleships with Nagato secondaries while I was busy killing something else with the main armament.

I'm not very far along the US tree, but the New York seems to have pretty good stopping power. YMMV, I guess, but I think battleships are actually pretty cool.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Is it just me or are more people playing IJN cruisers now? I used to never see them, now they're everywhere. Did they get buffed or something?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Aramoro posted:

Not really, most torpedoes had an arming distance of 360 to 640m controlled by a mechanical mechanism on the torpedo. They just seem to be doing max damage even below 300m.

There is an arming distance, but it is very short. I saw a torpedo travel ~100m to a teammate and it did not explode.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Skoots posted:

If you cant kill a battleships in a carrier your an idiot.
Right now it seems like japs are better because they have are more flexible with their higher squad count. They also benefit more from the tier five captain skill.

There are a lot of idiots in this game. I've spent a lot of time dodging torpedo spreads by a gnat's whisker, but the difference between a bad carrier pilot and a good one is super obvious, because a good carrier pilot will lay those things down right next to you and you'll have no chance to dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

grrarg posted:

The 4.0 public test server is up. The paid consumables are like the standard Repair and Smoke Screen, except they cost 15 gold per battle and have a 33% lower cooldown. On a Kuma, that means the free Repair is 90s cooldown versus 60s for the 15 gold one.

There are two sets of Camoflauge so far. One reduces enemy accuracy against you by 4%. The other modifies concealment range by 3%. They were around 10k silver. No idea if costs scale with tier.

That's... less awful than I expected, p2w-wise. I think I'm okay with it?