Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

YellerBill posted:

As far as I'm aware Gaijin can't make subs work either, so it's going to be a pretty straight contest between Gaijin's damage modeling system versus Wargaming's HP system. And also maybe how the different developers handle upgrades, considering that in WT upgrades are relatively minor improvements whereas in WoT/WoWP you can get things like a completely different engine or a new turret for your tank.
Boats upgrades aren't as major as tanks upgrades in general. There's the occasional exception but stock boats are normally pretty usable.

BadLlama posted:

Does ships have the same spotting system as in tanks so a giant battleship will just disappear?
Yes. It's not as big a deal because of range limits. Battleships and cruisers will more or less always be spotted if they're in range, unless you can finagle yourself into shooting enemies over intervening terrain. I have never seen alpha testers do that intentionally.
Destroyers have to get fairly close to be spotted, if they don't fire. In the previous patch, you could invisiboat people with destroyer guns if you were careful about staying at maximum range. I haven't tried this patch because Japanese destroyer guns are now too bad to bother firing.
Firing torpedoes doesn't reveal you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
AA rewards are very, very low. I'm not sure there's a reward at all.
edit: One of the daily missions rewards you for killing planes though.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

quote:

torpedoes

I have to mention that if you get hit by torpedoes from a destroyer that isn't close enough to get spotted it's your own fault. Surface ship torpedoes get spotted from very far out.
I don't know how much this thread has played in the latest alpha patch but the one destroyer that has hit me with torpedoes was two kilometers away. Hitting someone with destroyer torpedoes similarly depends on finding a target too dumb to steer their ship.

Also half the alpha testers end every sentence with "poi" for some loving reason. An option to block those testers would be nice because they talk way too much.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Vengarr posted:

The Long Lance could travel 40km max. And it didn't leave behind a wake, so they were hard to see coming.

Do Long Lances not have a wake in-game? Because that would broken as gently caress.

All torpedoes have a wake. There are torpedo indicators that pop up when the torpedoes are close enough, "close enough" in this case meaning "still pretty far away". You can't see the wake until the torpedo indicator shows up.
I don't think the oxygen torpedoes are any harder to spot than other torpedoes.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Polikarpov posted:

The references I can find to "Iwaki" all point to the B-64 design.

B64 Type Heavy Cruiser (Japan)

Displacement: 32,000 tonnes, 34,800 tonnes deep load

Dimensions: 787ft 5in pp, 802ft 6in oa long, 89ft 3in wide

Machinery: 4 shaft single reduction geared turbines, 8 boilers, probably around 160,000 shp = 33 knots

Armour: Belt 7.5in, bulkheads, decks 5in,

Armament: 9 12.2/50 (3x3), 16 3.9in/65 AA, 12 25mm AA, 8 13.2mm AA, 8 24 inch torpedo tubes

Complement: Unknown

Design was started in 1939 and test carried out on the 12.2 in gun. The design was completed in 1941, but as more intelligence was learned about the USS Alaska class it was proposed to change their armament to 14.2in guns. The design was approved for construction in 1942, but no ship was ordered or laid down due to other priorities in the war.

Iwaki is some kind of intermediate between the Tenryu and Kuma classes. It apparently has an extra gun over Tenryu. I imagine wargaming made up the name.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I torpedoed some nerd in spawn for whining that battleships were underpowered and said something along the lines of "well now your battleship is extra underpowered" and he threatened to report me, but I haven't had any sort of warning. You're probably safe.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Attaching a name to a ship that only ever had a barcode on some blueprints should be relatively straightforward though, given that the naming conventions for all classes in all the naval nations is well known

You'd think that, but of the historically unnamed Japanese ships (a battleship, a heavy cruiser and a light cruiser) all are named after mountains like heavy cruisers. They also misnamed the Tenryu class for some reason. :spergin:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

xthetenth posted:

The French are actually one of the best candidates for a nearly full tree of real ships or ships that were seriously intended to be built.

I don't know about mid tiers but it seems like French destroyers should have a full tree of actually built and commissioned ships.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
This game is a great deal worse than alpha when every match has 4-6 battleships per team. I hope Wargaming tries to actually balance the ship classes because in this state it's not even close :smith:

On the other hand if it releases with battleships this much stronger than anything else I won't be tempted to waste time playing it, so there's that.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Lol can't spot a DD in smoke from literally 1.5 KM away. Yea can see that getting old fast.

If you're farther than 5 km or so the destroyer is hilariously non threatening and you're equally likely to hit it by random firing into the smoke or by spotting it for half a second and aiming there.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Stevefin posted:

If your ship has torps, This would be a great time to blind fire a wide spread, you know roughly where the DD is, and it won't see the torps till its too late in the smoke

I'm not sure if smoke hides torpedoes.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I really hope the Alaska class are cruisers and not battleships because that would be amazing. :911:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Gamesguy posted:

Which slot 2 upgrade do you guys think is best for the Amagi(tier 8 BB)? 20% more range on AA guns, 10% faster reload/15% aiming on main guns, or more accuracy on main guns?

The reload one makes your guns turn slower, Wargaming didn't write the descriptions well.
Tier 5s and 6s fart out credits in a way that puts Type 59s to shame so it's easy to experiment.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
More durable fighters are especially useful since you have relatively limited aircraft space. The upgraded fighters will win in a head on fight anyway. Against bombers your fighters will win no matter their damage output, and against AA or multiple fighters the upgraded fighters will take fewer losses.

Also, wargaming_game.jpg

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

Is there a cruiser or destroyer that ditches all its ineffective popguns for lots of flak and torps instead?
Japanese destroyer guns are bad enough that you don't need to bother firing them, and the tier 6 and up get the option to replace one of their guns with extra, somewhat effective AA.

Cardiac posted:

I am only at tier3 with the St Louis, but is there any point in not running full throttle all the time?
It fucks up pubbie torpedo runs if you vary speed, but with the current torpedo spotting distance you can easily evade them without doing that.
You can slow down to get an extra shot off before moving behind an island, I guess?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

Works for me :toot:

Also is there any way to improve the accuracy of guns in general? Will spacing out your firing make shots land closer to where you're aiming? Because it loving sucks to let a volley loose only to immediately know it's not going to score gently caress-all for hits because it's shotgunned all over the goddamn place.

Once you unlock upgrades there's one that improves accuracy. It makes a noticeable difference. If you have a Kongo the credit costs for upgrades are basically irrelevant, so do that.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Rorac posted:

So, question. How the gently caress do you actually properly aim at things over 10 seconds away? It seems for me that once it takes longer than that for a shell to arrive, whether or not I hit depends more on luck and how the stars are aligned rather than any actual skill on my part. Is there any big secret I'm missing or is that just something I'll pick up with practice and play-experience?

Hit alt to get the travel time, then lead based on that. As a rule of thumb I do about 1.5 of the small tick marks per second of travel time, for battleships going at right angles. Fire off one turret and watch that if you aren't sure. You get a feel for it faster than you'd think.
Citadel hits at 20 km are basically luck due to shell dispersion and the players who say otherwise are overstating how good they are, but you can hit fairly consistently at that range if you shoot at battleships.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Prav posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out what the actual acc differences are between the various guns because it's so helpfully listed as dispersion at max range. Thanks WG.

Do I just divide that by range? I'm loving terrible at this stuff.

I think that would be close enough. Depending on how they calculate it it might not be perfect since the flight distance isn't linear, but I don't think shell arc is different enough between ships for that to matter much.

Fake edit: I just checked the Kongo and dispersion per range changes by 2% when you upgrade the fire control. I don't know if fire control secretly makes your guns more accurate but that's pretty small regardless. :spergin:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The only upgrades I bother with are the ones that prevent my magazine from exploding 1/5th of the time. The other ones, I don't really care about because I'm a filthy casual. If you're in a ship with guns and you're going to get pounded, you might as well make yourself more durable.

Carriers need some work, balance wise. In my first carrier, I felt horribly outclassed when going against higher ships. Mostly because the carriers had much better fighters, and the ships had much better AAA. I bleed planes like crazy in those games.

Get a Kongo and the credit cost for the upgrades won't matter any more. :20bux::20bux:

Also the Langley is really bad, in most better carriers you can bait higher tier planes onto friendly AA.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Destroyers are pretty bad in the game's current state. The problem is that torpedoes are visible from 40% of their maximum range, so a battleship that pays attention has time to avoid them unless they were launched at really short range. Hitting a competent battleship with torpedoes at over about 5 km is next to impossible. The change also makes long lances kind of poo poo at closer ranges, since they show up immediately when launched.
In alpha and beta weekends hitting a competent battleship with torpedoes was a bit of a trick, but it was entirely possible to get hits without coming in spotting range. The destroyer lines were distinct between nations, but both nations had usable guns, usable torpedoes and enough camouflage to not explode immediately.

To look at it another way, a battleship is substantially better at killing battleships than a destroyer is.

The damage model changes also turbo hosed cruisers. Battleships are essentially a hard counter to cruisers now. In the old version you could sink a Fuso with a Cleveland given good shooting and some time, in this version I shot a Fuso with my Cleveland for four minutes and didn't even take off half its health (despite hitting consistently) before it turned its guns around and oneshotted me.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

DonkeyHotay posted:

I really can't think dd's are that underpowered against battleships seeing as I just saw a tier 5 destroyer drive into a group of 2 Kongos and a Nagato in open water, torp the Nagato, drive back into his smoke, finish off the Nagato and leave.

Pubbies are dumb stupid loving idiots and torpedoes are fine against dumb stupid loving idiots. Non idiots are almost impossible to hit without closing to secondary gun range.
This isn't NTRabbit being NTRabbit, destroyers are much weaker than the beta weekend or alpha destroyers, which weren't overpowered. Battleships are the strongest class by a large margin.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Stevefin posted:

You won't get famous ship names, but rather the ship hull name, There was talk that famous ships will be premiums, So stuff like Hood,Bismark,Enterprise,so on
Aurora is already in as a premium, with a little blurb describing the specific ship, even though her class is an obvious choice for Russian tier 2-3 cruiser.

Fart Car '97 posted:

What the gently caress is with the game not rendering torpedoes until they're like 5 seconds from hitting? The last day or so I have played I've died to torpedoes over and over because they just materialize out of nothing far too late for you to do anything about it.
If you're playing against ships with 4.5 km torpedo range, it's a side effect of the short range and you should stop letting destroyers get so close.
Otherwise, you aren't noticing torpedoes that are rendered. The torpedo is visible before it makes the audible warning.

Vengarr posted:

The higher-tier IJN DDs have 10km-plus range torpedoes. That plus smokescreens give them a lot of utility in large-scale encounters. Don't try to close the range except against distracted targets, or you will explode.
Unfortunately there's often little choice. Dodging long range torpedoes was never hard and is far, far easier than it used to be, and long range on a torpedo is not strictly an advantage. Spotting distance is 40% of maximum range, so if you fire 20 km long lances at anything under 8 km they'll be spotted from the moment they're in the water.

e:

Desuwa posted:

WoWS has penetration mechanics, it's not pure RNG, it's just opaque to users. It's just that with your cursor in the right place there's no much more you can do to get citadel pens. At close range you're sometimes in the situation where a "good" pen roll on a shell will actually cause it to overpen.
It's allegedly purely deterministic, no RNG directly involved in calculating damage.
What it is is a black box that depends on hit zones significantly smaller (at most ranges) than the shell spread, so the only substantial difference from an RNG heavy approach is that certain alpha testers can greatly overstate how good they are because they one shot something and "damage isn't RNG".

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 17, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
[q[/b]uote="NTRabbit" post="442848341"]
You're right, American torpedoes do get better - at tier 7, where they push out to 6.8km, matched by the 6km secondary range on the Nagato. Only the American tier 8-10 destroyers can actually safely launch torpedoes outside battleship secondary range and still reliably hit. At tier 4-6 their torpedoes are dregs, and if not for the good guns they'd be completely useless.
[/quote]
Back to being NTRabbit!

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

vandiar posted:

Also to echo everyone else the Cleveland is a lot of fun. For the tier 3 commander skill, the cruiser one looks like an active skill. Does that replace the current cruiser AA skill or is it an additional ability?
It enhances the existing skill.

BadLlama posted:

So a lot of silly alpha testers are apparently mad that the game isn't WW2 boats simulator with combat ranges of 30Km+ how the hell would that be any fun.
There are a fairly large number of players who still loving think that battleships are underpowered. I think it's between "most wargaming players are idiots" and probably some kantai collection poo poo.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

SuperSix posted:

He didn't follow the doctrine of going 1v1 vs a battleship and expecting to win

Considering how equal tier battleships and cruisers compare, where even if the cruiser has every advantage in positioning I'd expect a non stupid battleship to win with more than half its health left?

Of course I expect to take on an equal tier battleship one on one. We are in the same matchmaking bracket, and in theory destroyers are supposed to counter battleships. Battleships certainly counter cruisers.

NTRabbit is fairly consistently wrong about most things but it's painfully obvious that the ship classes aren't balanced.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
"You're a support ship" isn't a great excuse. Battleships are more effective at support than other classes - the biggest threat to a battleship by far is another battleship, and the best counter to that threat is, again, a battleship.
It takes a better player to win against a battleship in a non battleship, and the better players are most useful in battleships where they can influence the game more.

Destroyers aren't light tank equivalents. Light tanks don't have torpedoes, and light tanks don't need as much a skill mismatch to kill equal-matchmaker-weight tanks.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 17, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Destroyers and cruisers are more fun to play than battleships but they are significantly less effective. I don't know what's so hard about that, it's entirely okay to like playing something that isn't strong. Most of my games aren't in battleships.

I would pick seven battleships and one destroyer over six battleships and two destroyers, without even thinking twice. I'd also pick eight battleships over any combination of battleships and cruisers, which is a bit of a problem if you think this game doesn't have ships that counter other ships.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

You could say the same thing about CAs. Why even have them in the game? Why play them? They're objectively worse than battleships, but sit in similar roles.

Every ship is a trade-away for something. BBs trade speed and flexibility for guns and armor. Cruisers straddle the middle ground. DDs go to the other extreme. Each have different ship abilities, and each has very specific things they're good at. If you don't like them, just play the ships you think are the best.
You play cruisers because you think they're fun. The tradeoffs made by battleships leave them at a substantial advantage against every other class. Anyone choosing ships based entirely on which are the best is playing Fusos, Amagis and Yamatos, as is apparent from looking at certain alpha testers.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Strobe posted:

I really need to learn how to shoot battleships. I'm consistently losing, and badly, against BBs lower tier than I am in the Omaha. Both the Kawachi and Myogi are about as accurate as a squirt gun, so being unable to outshoot them is frustrating and I'm probably doing things wrong.

Unless it's much worse than the average pubbie, you can't expect to beat a battleship in your cruiser under any circumstances. I'd favor a halfway decent Myogi over a Cleveland. Shoot at the enemy non battleships and hope your battleships aren't as dumb as theirs.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Harik posted:

Well since a lot of skill was ripped out of the game and replaced with RNG, I'm willing to bet that the previously-existing deflection angles are gone as well. Until they put back in practice rooms to test on, there's no real way to tell.

Where I'm currently weak is landing my first salvo on a ship heading directly towards or away from me. I'd love more practice at that, but idiot pubbies are always broadside and the better players don't give me many opportunities to hit them. :)

Edit: I guess everything about the alpha is still locked by the NDA, but people talking about it have been skirting the edges when discussing things that "might" have been in, like DD only areas (shallows), armor and angling being more important than RNG, etc. Being able to control your BB scout plane (even recall it, poo poo. It's nothing but a 5-minute viewrange buff that may RNG be cut short). I guess the previous roadmap (also NDA) publicly released screenshots had things like buoyancy and HP as separate pools in it as well.

Are you reading EmpressNero's posts in the official forums? If so, he's a dumb sperg with no idea how boats works, and no idea what it means to be a "game". Avoid the official forums.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

Lol this is so wrong. You should actively be trying to dump long range shots onto turrets or in the middle over the citadel as most people never try to dodge at long range
The shell spread is enough larger than the target area that it's basically RNG. You can affect the probability of a good hit, but aiming only goes so far and citadel hits at 20 km are basically luck.
Yesterday I had a Kongo game where I straddled an enemy Kongo with nine consecutive salvos. The enemy eventually found me, shot back and destroyed two turrets in its first two salvos, both of which seemed to be aimed short. I think that's what Harik is getting at.

Burt posted:

First impressions? It's all a bit too simple. OK I have only tier 2 ships at the moment but it really does seem to be set throttle to max, avoid running into islands, and shoot. As long as you know how to lead shots and have map awareness you seem to have all the skills you need.

I won't say it's a bad game but I will say it's not going to be the game that just about everybody wanted and I don't think it's going to be the time filler I was looking forward too. It's not grabbed me by the balls like WoT beta did that's for sure.

You must have missed the beta weekends. Tier 2 has always been really simplistic, but at higher tiers the game got a lot more interesting, with every ship class being able to do significant damage to any other ship. It's more like "babysit your battleship players" now but they at least proved they could make am interesting game.
Maneuvering your ship to avoid taking damage has always been more challenging than shooting at enemies.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

DonkeyHotay posted:

There's no way this is more complex than world of tanks. Armor is effectively taken out of consideration when I can regularly get citadel pens on an Amagi in a Kongo.
It's hard to balance between gun cruisers being relevant and armor meaning something in battleship fights. Wargaming has at least hit on both sides of this. I'd rather have relatively weak citadel armor when there are ships at tier 10 with only guns and less armor penetration than a Kongo.
And the Amagi is a battlecruiser; I've had battleship shells hit a Fuso citadel without penetrating.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

kalven posted:

Because range is more important then rate of fire.

Because of the way torpedo detection works, longer range is normally a disadvantage. Torpedoes show up far enough away that you'll never hit anyone competent at range. Otherwise, the only thing range does is make your torpedoes proportionally easier to spot. If you launch torpedoes from 5 km, torpedoes with a 20 km range will be spotted the instant they leave your ship, but 5 km torpedoes will only show up when they're more than halfway through. None of the torpedoes in game are fast enough to make up for that disadvantage.
That said, 500 meters isn't enough range to make much difference. I'd ignore the range difference completely, and choose based on the other attributes.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

:(

Propagandist posted:

So I've seen people talk about how destroyers aren't great after tier 4-5, American cruisers aren't great after the Cleveland, and carriers just aren't that fun overall. Does the game just get less fun after tier 5, or are there good options past that?
If you like battleships, or like intentionally playing with a large handicap, it's fine. Don't take Japanese destroyers past tier 5 until torpedo mechanics change, but otherwise it's possible to have fun.
The main problem is that the only effective counter to a battleship is another battleship, which gets more and more apparent as you go up in tier. Torpedo detection issues aside, there aren't any bad ship lines, but unlike in the beta weekends you can't take on battleships without a large skill mismatch or extremely favorable circumstances.

OSad posted:

Do torpedoes have an arming time now? I thought DD's were running rampant in the weekend alphas since they didn't, and you could literally drive-by shotgun other ships to death, but it still doesn't feel like they have one now.

Arming range is really short, it starts where the range indicator starts.
Long range torpedoing is a losing proposition because torpedoes get spotted from four times as far away as in the weekend alphas. Only an afk ship is likely to take any actual hits.
Close range torpedoes aren't that great because you have to close in battleship secondary range to have a good chance of hitting, and if you don't sink it outright you'll die. Even if you do close in and sink a battleship outright, you take unsustainable amounts of damage.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
It's definitely possible to hit ships that are closing on you from outside target lock range.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
The Japanese destroyer line isn't all bad. Tier 6 and up aren't worth playing in their current state, but what this really means is that the best torpedo boat in the game is only at tier 5.
If you like shooting torpedoes and making things blow up, get a Minekaze. The ships before it are all playable.

Do not under any circumstances upgrade the torpedoes.
The upgraded torpedoes trade 11 knots of speed for 3 kilometers of range, but what the game doesn't tell you is that the detection range triples. Between that and the lower speed, enemy ships have almost four times as much time to dodge your torpedoes, and you don't even gain damage.

A full salvo of Minekaze torpedoes is almost as strong as a full salvo from the tier 7 destroyer. But there's much less time to dodge the Minekaze torpedoes, and you're firing them at lower tier ships. And the Minekaze is faster, more maneuverable and harder to spot. It also reloads more than twice as fast, because the Minekaze has three dual launchers instead of two triple launchers.
That's right, the Minekaze is straight up a better ship than the tier 7 on the same line.

There's only a kilometer between your torpedo and detection ranges, but fortunately you're in a Minekaze. You go 39 knots at tier 5, with one of the smallest turning circles in the game and a rudder that shifts instantly. Also your guns are only good for getting you spotted.

Basically get a Minekaze if you like fun, it is the best Japanese destroyer in the game. It's like playing a destroyer in the beta weekend. :japan:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Atal Vataman posted:

so im almost done with tier 6 and im losing interest real fast. this game sort of feels like a less complex wot for people who find moving in three dimensions to be too complicated. please help me understand the appeal of this game, i sort of want to like it

It gets really uninteresting after probably tier 5. In part because battleships which are "point, shoot and see big numbers, the game" are also much stronger than any of the other classes.

I mostly gave up on going up the tiers and just play the Minekaze repeatedly like some kind of nerd. It's fun enough for a free game. :shrug:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
It would be really neat if AA were more of an inconvenience to planes and shot down fewer. I'd rather it lowered aircraft accuracy, made bombers drop their torpedoes early or whatever than just kill a plane every N seconds. Right now it really just feels like a mechanism for running carriers out of ammo.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Prav posted:

I didn't realize that the T10s were more expensive than in WOT. That's a hefty chunk of credits.

Comparing the US CA line with the US MT line I think I figured out how much a boats credit is worth though. Not that the economy is balanced yet.

That's interesting, because the boats tier 5s make about twice as much as I remember tier 8 premiums making in tanks. I'm not sure if there's a credit/experience bonus in place, but at least for experience I would guess not.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Insert name here posted:

It's not even the service time that's annoying, it's the speed at which your planes fly so that even when you're trying to sit as far ahead as possible you generally find yourself flying about 1/3 to 1/2 of the map distance wise to the enemy ships which leads to 3 or 4 minutes round time.

I'm pretty sure the 95 knot torpedo bombers on the Independence aren't even twice as fast as a 40 knot destroyer. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Krataar posted:

Any tips for getting through the terrible Phoenix. Such a letdown after the barrage party that was the St. Louis

Upgrade the hull and guns. It's just a bad stock boat.