Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I've been playing for two weeks and just now thought to check and see if there was a goons group that liked floating around and penetrating destroyers with BB AP.

Hello darkness, my old friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

If you're in a CA in ranked, your first order of business is to kill DDs if they are spotted and in range. If that is not possible, manuevering into a better position to cover your DDs and murder enemy DDs. Once that is achieved, kill enemy CAs, then BBs if none are left. Once all enemy DDs are dead prioritize low health enemies that can threaten your team, then the most threatening enemies, then whoever is left.

If you're a BB, prioritize dealing damage to enemy CAs. If a DD comes close and you're confident you can hit it, go for it, but often you'll just miss when you could have put that AP into something with a citadel instead. Shooting hostile BBs should only occur if one gets low, or puts itself in a terrible position, or if all enemy CAs are being evasive while the BBs expose broadsides. Don't eat torps like a chump.

If you're a RUS DD, kill enemy DDs and cap. If you're a US DD, kill IJN DDs and try to force a close range fight with a RUS DD, as you'll be at a disadvantage in a ranged battle with a RUS DD. Torpedo things once caps are secured and enemy DDs are dead or otherwise no longer a threat. IJN DDs cap and torpedo any target that looks good. If you have CAs nearby and the enemy doesn't, you can pop in and try to light up a hostile DD you know is nearby, for a quick execution by your friendly CAs. Not dying, however, is the primary directive for a DD.

*scribbles down notes*

I am still pretty new to this game, and I'm getting my rear end kicked pretty regularly in ranked matches. I'm doing well in Random Battles, but can't rank up in Ranked.

And for the love of all things godly, is it just me or are carriers next to loving useless?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Humbaba posted:

Looks like it's disabled in NA, too.

I got use out of it, so it wasn't this morning.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Feel like I'm finally getting the hang of the Battleship. Took my Wyoming into Rando and punished the other team. Six citadel hits, four ships killed, and another one beat to poo poo before someone else polished it off. Hell yeah, Battleships aren't shabby once you get the hang of them.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Bit on both ships...so weak. Also I couldn't stand being told I 'missed out' not getting the Warspite.

But playing premiums is actually really fun in this game. Why play normal-tier ships when you can play the gently caress out of premiums, accrue insane amounts of silver, and never have to give a gently caress?

What's the deal with premium ships? Other than not having to pay for them with silver and not needing to unlock them with XP, what is the reason for having them?

Debating whether it's worth getting either of the two ships at all.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They're not as good as ships at their native tier, but they have a massive credit bonus, and the lower-tiered ships you can reliably play while off premium time and still are almost guaranteed a profit.

I am 100% guaranteed a profit in Tier-VI games and below, and I am in the black every time so far in my Tier V ship. It's not always a huge profit, but it's something. When does that stop being the case?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I did it. I broke down and got a loaded Warspite package.

I'm sorry, I'm so weak.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Tier 3 off premium, Tiers 5 and 6 while on. This also assumes you have no high level premiums...though you should have a Murmansk simply because they're awesome and I think you might still be able to get a cheap Humble Bundle code off Kinguin for one versus buying it for gold or with real money for far more.

Tell me more about this Humble Bundle code business. I may need to hop in onto that.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

MREBoy posted:

Back in mid June, Wargaming teamed up with HumbleBundle.com and offered a code good for a Murmansk, 5 port slots, 1000 gold and a week of premium to go along with all the other crap in the E3 Digital Ticket Humble Bundle bundle. A rather large amount of people went and bought it because hey, WoWs Closed Beta access, a cool ship and some other stuff starting at $1.00, depending on how greedy/charitable you were feeling. Then The Mother Of All Fuckups™ happened - Wargaming initially said this stuff was permanent, but in actuality the Murmansk was supposed to be a limited lifetime/test drive thing (something like a week or so) then it would be auto-deleted... and let this messaging fuckup last an entire week. Cue MASSIVE INTERNET RAEG :argh: :supaburn:, threadnoughts on the forums, and a week of Internet lawyers threatening charge-backs & false advertising complaints and so on. Wargaming actually owned up and took the blame, did The Right Thing™ and let everyone keep the Murmansk.

Reading mats:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/34287-important-humble-bundle-e3-digital-ticket-information/

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/35557-humble-bundle-update/

So naturally while they were available, some people bought how many ever of these E3 Digital Ticket Humble Bundle bundles they could gin up email addresses for and started reselling them. Kinguin (never been there) is apparently some game code reselling site, and you might be able to get one of these codes there. Be aware the codes expire on Dec 31st 2015.

Huh. Alright, I bought. Kinguin DOES have the codes for sale at about eight bucks a pop (with all fees). That gets the Murmansk, a thousand dabloobs, and a week of premium time. Totally worth it, I'd say. We'll see if it's worth the hype.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is this still a thing, for NA? I couldn't find anything WoWs related on Kinguin. Also, if it is a thing, you do get to keep the ship forever now right?

Don't use Kinguin's search engine, it's bad. I googled "Murmansk World of Warships code" and the Kinguin link came up. Or you could be a lazybones and just click here.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

jownzy posted:

Is this a typo? The new mission reward for sinking 25 ships is 15 flags? That seems a little light.

Well, sinking 25 ships is a really easy mission.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I just spent 12,000 Free XP to push past my Langley and Drop myself into a Bogue. Sky Cancer or not, it's a hell of a lot of fun when you can lay the pain down on the enemy.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Note to Self: The only people still playing at 1AM are ridiculously good and make me look like a scrub.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

adebisi lives posted:

Hmm I was looking for a way to get a premium ship for farming up silver, is the Murmansk good for this? And is this website legit? I don't want my credit card stolen and my boats account banned.

I'm finding that the Murmansk is really good for farming silver. Put a +silver flag on it and don't rush out to get your bum shot off in the opening. Can't speak much as to getting banned, but it seems legit and I got my (working) code in a timely manner.

It could be me, but the Murmansk looks almost identical to the US Omaha-class Cruiser?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

nodm posted:

It is an Omaha class cruiser. Except better in every way (I think it has longer range, is more agile and has better torps) because well, itīs Russian and a WG game. But itīs a great premium ship, maybe the best there is for the money. Took me to level 10 ranked without too much trouble, while making a fair bit of silver on the side.

That's a cool bit of history, actually.

Also I'm taking a perverse bit of enjoyment out of watching Arpeggio, and I'm really hoping to get cool sci-fi skins for my battleshits.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Is there any benefit to manually aiming dive bombers?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Pretty much this. It's all placeholders and disconnected buttons. If you try it without the mod pack you'll see which ships are actually available for in game gold purchase, those are the real values and still connected buttons.

Also the weekend event sounds wrong, "Cruising for Santa"

Nope. I'm cruising for Santa. Gonna get his jollies off and make the naughty list.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I had a nice round tonight where I hounded a New Mexico to death in a Furutaka. Chased him for quite a ways while he tried to run, kept setting him on fire and having to shift my attention to other threats before locking back onto him again. I dodged dive bombers from a hostile carrier and traded shots with a Gnevy who kept blinking in and out of visibility to throw shells at me. I happened catch their Independence, tagged it with fire to freeze the bombers in the air, and rippled torps into it to send it to the bottom. Target of opportunity, wasn't going to miss it. I ended up furiously throwing HE into the New Mexico and fighting his repair teams so his HP fluctuated between 100-1000 for a tense couple volleys, until his repair wore off and the fires took him down. Was trading parting shots with the Gnevy at close range, got a torp salvo off just before his shots took me out. He couldn't dodge all the torps, and followed me to our shared watery grave. Pulled over 100K damage with three ships sunk, all of those entirely my kills.

Team couldn't pull off a win, but it was fun anyways.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Hey, Karls are natural destroyer-killers. Their rate of fire is so high they can just throw shells like an insane monkey at a carnival, and they've got a high chance of temporarily disabling their engines. They've also got enough speed and maneuverability to both chase the destroyers down and dodge their torps at any kind of range. They're not terrible against battleships either, if the battleship is engaging a more threatening target and you just tag it with HE until it does a Burning Man impression.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

I did get one really amazing first strike in a Myogi, 5 shells went wide and splashed all around a turning Omaha, the 6th connected amidships and penetrated, citadeled, and then he exploded from the one shell hit. I think that's the only time I've ever killed anything in a Myogi.

I just wrecked poo poo in a Myogi. Smashed two cruisers with fire right into their critadel, polished off another with secondary fire, and rammed an enemy Myogi at three quarters health while I was under 2K and on fire to grab my High Caliber medal.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Your team still lost though, right?

So you saw, then.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Dropped into his stream to share the goon love. He's equally annoying and bad with other people.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Alright, what's the deal with "poi"?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Watching the first episode doesn't make the "poi" business any better. No loving clue what it means or what it's about. Just ... wtf

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I almost feel bad, because I'm so totally up for having glowing ships that shoot laser shells.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

I think I'm gonna make a fire damage guide soon. There's a lot of people who seem to not understand how to use DDs and CAs to do meaningful damage to BBs, hopefully I can shed some light on how to maximize your potential damage.

Isn't this basically "If you are in a DD or a CA with guns less than 200mm, slap them with HE from stem to stern and break out the marshmallows."

I mean, if you want to get super particular with it then there are the mid ranges where you want to HE even with bigger guns because shot angle and ricochet, but unless you're big enough to breach the armor isn't it really just about wanting to get all four sections ablaze?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

Yes. Its not going to be something insanely long and drawn out, as the basic advice is "Light all 4 ship sections on fire".

"And don't quit shooting, because the more you tag them the longer they burn".

There is nothing prettier than watching two or three battleships sticking together, all smoking to high heaven and knowing you did that.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Sometimes it looks like it increases the duration, because the counter in the center of the screen suddenly jumps up. I'm pretty sure that means there's a new fire though.

Ahh, that makes sense. That explains why I thought they keep going when you keep tagging.

DurosKlav posted:

I might start playing if they ever get around to balancing HE and fires, but they wont since they think its perfectly fine as it is.

I don't think HE and fires are unbalanced. Yes, it eats your health when your battleship tries to do a Burning Man impression during a match. But it makes DDs and CAs with smaller guns able to do credible damage against BBs. If your big, surly battleship is immune to the shells of anything smaller than you, where's the game balance? If you've got enough skill to hit the opposing team, you will punish them for setting you ablaze with your larger, heavier-hitting guns.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

The issue mainly has to do with AP having a long list of requirements to do any sort of decent damage. While HE requires just hitting the ship to do pretty good damage and then having fire damage on top of that. HE damage just has an incredibly low skill ceiling compared to AP. I mean I havent played in a bit but I have a feeling it still is 90% of cruisers firing HE and only HE during a round because they dont really have to learn how to use AP.

Maybe, but that's them hurting themselves, isn't it? At the cruiser level, AP is definitely superior to HE when you can aim well and breach the armor. It does more damage overall, and it does it upfront instead of over time. It can't be stopped by fire extinguishers. If an enemy cruiser is choosing to do low steady damage instead of much higher burst damage, why are you complaining?

And then there are the ones like me, who fire HE at battleships even when they know AP does better damage, just because they like to hear pubbies crying about fires.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

No, the issue is also that fire chance is by far the most RNG element of the game. Or, to give a general example, when I've hit a ship with 20 shells and set not a single fire, and the only shell he actually hit me with set one on me, it's absolutely infuriating. Even moreso when it's a destroyer that sets you on fire with their very first hit. And then immediately sets you on fire again with another singular hit. I've had games where I've gotten ~200 hits, but only caused ~5 fires.

For a specific example, in a game where I ended up facing down a Cleveland and some German cruiser(Maybe a Nurnberg? Don't really recall) in my Mogami. All of us were using HE due to range and angling(or at least that was my reason), and I ultimately killed both of them. Except I caused something like 2 fires total between them, meanwhile I myself ended up on fire something like 6 times. The fire chances between the ships involved are not particularly far apart, and I was landing significantly more shots, so poo poo like this is really annoying.

Also, while it's really not normally too bad at higher tiers, fires are absolutely murderous against battleships at the lower tiers. Yeah, smaller ships should have some way to deal damage to battleships, but stuff like well-played St. Louises generally being able to reliably kill their same-tier battleships is just idiotic.

Yeah, that's the nature of an RNG. Some times the random numbers stack in your favor, some times they don't. But they average out over time, and "random numbers being random" isn't a failure point.

Seriously, confirmation bias is a thing, and it feels more broken than it actually is.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

It's incredibly frustrating to be cruising up through ranks pretty reliably (66% win rate) and then get stopped at 10 because I don't have a Tier VII/VIII ship yet.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

I like them a lot, and the Nicholas is fun.

We also had a dude in a Wyoming who was pink for TKing shout "I AM AWAITED IN VALHALLA, WITNESS ME!" and slammed his Wyoming into an enemy Kongo on our cap in a 2 cap match, while there was noone around to help. I think he got all the commendations for resetting our cap and saving our game which we went on to win handily.

I will forever tell people that this is how you get rid of pink. Commendable.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Ghetto Prince posted:

just had a game in my new carrier where I couldnt control my planes anyway. The icon switched to a circle with a line through it and they just flew around my carrier at low speed. Did I gently caress something up?

You got sky cancer. It's terminal.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

says you can do it with any tier V+ ship so just play a fighter-fit carrier and barrage-fire your way to an easy mission completion. hell, i just had a game in my independence with 45 plane kills

Yeah, I'm planning to rock the fighter-spec Bogue and just mop the skies until it comes through. Shouldn't take more than a day or two, tops.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Magni posted:

Those are the rewards for completing the two mission chains. You can do the missions themselves with any ship above tier 4.

Actually, the Kongo line takes a Tier V ship and the Myoko line takes a Tier VI ship.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I'm playing this again and applied to the clan. Quick, stupid question though. I kinda want to get a destroyer and carrier again, but there've been some changes since I last looked into things. What's the current meta?

The current meta is as such:

You choose a ship and enter Random Battle matchmaking. One of your team immediately requests assistance before they've even traveled the length of their ship. They argue over which direction to go, and break up. You fire long-range shots at the enemy which miss because your gunners think accuracy is for suckers. You watch several of your fellow captains charge right into enemy fire and get slaughtered. Just when you start to despair, you read a message across the sea from the other team.

Poi.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

TheDemon posted:

At low tiers you can absolutely wreck other carriers who don't understand how to use or defend against manual fighter runs. I once neutered a fighter Bogue and Langley team with a strike-fit Ryujo (the pub Langley on my team was good for tying down their fighters) and my single squadron of fighters by hitting the perfect manual fighter runs over and over. On my best pass, I knocked 12 aircraft out of the sky.

At higher tiers every carrier player has stuck things out and at least knows not to line up squads in a straight beeline to yours.

How does manual fighter control work? I was under the impression that they couldn't be effectively controlled except from the orbital camera.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

In what world do you think it's not complete and utter garbage game design for a cruiser to bounce point blank fire from a battleship? With all the other advantages they have, now driving straight towards a battleship at a slight angle should make them invulnerable too? And do you think it's deliberate or an accident? Because neither is a good answer to defeating the "this game is bullshit" argument.

Go cry your manly random tears somewhere else and stop dirtying up a thread I like reading. We got it - you don't like the game and think it stinks. Don't need to say that more than once. Now go be bad in the Wargaming forums where you belong.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

He's making the same kind of protests you can find over on the Wargaming forum. He's bad, and attributes that to the game instead of the player. Stop feeding him and he'll go back the Wargaming forums where he belongs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Drive the Cleveland, I need to see your reaction to the hang time on those shells at 17 km. Also please tell me you aren't bitching about the short range of the New Mexico two tiers after US BBs get a range boost module that going by the 15 km comment you haven't fitted.

Incidentally, the game changed for better players in a big way since launch. Even I'm getting a ton of citadels on cruisers in my BBs, and after a week or so I'm still not shooting great. Lobbing shells that an enemy can literally turn a battleship to avoid at long range is anything but overpowered, what's overpowered is trying to get to the right range for your relative guns and maneuverability and idiots letting you do it.

Brains OP, nerf stupid players.