Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I jumped back in and played a few games last night.

Have I gone mad or was there a Japanese Battleship called the Haku that had no AA guns in before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Just out of interest what are peoples hit rates like with main batteries? Mine is really low just now ~45% and I feel I need to go back to boat gunnery school. I'm currently playing in some T4's just now so if there's anyone else playing around that level on EU server and wants to detachment up that would be cool, I'm AramoroA on boats.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

NuckmasterJ posted:

How do you see your accuracy? I know with BB's which I don't even attempt to play anymore I'm probably sub 25%. :<

On your personal stats on the website it tells you, I hit with 10% of my torps! It doesn't split out per ship just per armament. I don't think it's even splitting out Torps from destroyers and torps from bombers. Also I don't know how it works out secondary armament, mine is 18% but i'm not sure how to improve that, or even if I want to.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Is there a goon channel in game for the EU?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I don't think I should ever get into a Destroyer again. I just cannot win games in my Clermiston, I've got like a 10% wr in it. Every other ship is fine by that ship is haunted or something.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I must be doing it wrong, because every time I try a manual drop with a two squadron pattern most of the torpedoes miss the target because the ship changed what it was doing while i switched between the planes :shrug:

What I'm doing in my carrier with some success is using bomber groups in pairs, maybe 5 - 10 seconds apart on the drop, the first dropping a normal broadside of torps the second a more head on spread so if they try to turn away (or into depending on what I think is more likely) it gets them with that. that seems to be netting me a decent number of hits.

I finally got out of my Clemson after a game killing 2 Aircraft carriers and a Battleship, I did not enjoy that ship at all. Well that's a lie, it was really fun I blew up a lot of boats but just didn't ever win games in it.

I'm looking forward to the British tree, especially the Nelson Class Battleships and Admiral Class Battlecruisers.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Same but Nelsol/Rodnol. Never not full steam nearly straight into Team Red firing all guns and ending with a ram attack when low on health.
Think of England, gentlemen :britain::black101:

Nelson and Rodney? It's the only true way to fight!, Full steam ahead guns blazing for Queen and county :britain:

3x3 Forward facing 16" guns is nothing to sneeze at really. With 12 6" guns on the back, 2 24.5" torpedo tubes and 64 AA guns of different types to top it off. Pretty slow sadly though.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Krogort posted:

Why would they sell premium ships that would be a specific hull from a ship class already present in the regular ship tree ?
How would they differentiate it gameplay wise ? there wouldn't be much differences in primary weapons or ship stats.

They have to though otherwise the trees are going to get weird. I don't see how they can't put Queen Elizabeth Class in to the British line, I'm assuming the Warspite is in the alternate configuration after it's reconstruction and the others will be as built Queen Elizabeth Class.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I've been having a load of fun in the Japanese cruisers playing sort of close support to the Battleships. Destroyers just seem to get all torpedo crazy around Battleships and ignore you until you sink them.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

rossmum posted:

Mogami is wonderful :allears:

I think my first tree after release may well be IJN cruisers.

I'm really liking the IJN Cruiser line, and Cruisers in general even if I do get my best results in Battleships.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Build it in

for US ships only :unsmigghh:

I think it should be built in and crew skill dependant. I'd up crew skills a lot to give things like that and it would allow them to make a Warspite that can drop shells on boats from 20km away due to a crew skill buff.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So when they do the wipe between Closed Beta and Open Beta will the closed beta people get the bonus stuff like they did in the previous wipe based on how many battles they had fought etc?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Since the patch I'm doing a lot better than I was, my stats are still garbage but it feels better anyway. Right now my general rule is for Battleships firing AP at Battleships and Cruisers, HE at at Destroyers if I firing a them at all. Cruisers, firing AP at cruisers and Battleships if i'm close and HE at everything else. Destroyers firing HE all the time.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Burt posted:

I think I like this game simply because solo, you really can't carry that well. Yes, yes, I know we all have those amazing games with 6 kills now and then but for the vast amount of the time you are utterly dependent on your pubbies not being retards and we know how that works.

As soon as I accepted this I got a zen like calm and I just happily play away and I'm normally in the top third of exp at the very least and it's like "this is what a game should be, fun, enjoyable and relaxing".

I really have no idea what I'm trying to get across here except it ain't WoT and we will never see the levels of unicum that exists there.

Forget all this if playing in divisions.

This.

I had 3 perfect games in my Independence, 3 Clear skies asserted total air superiority over the map 2 carriers just gave up and drove into islands and stopped, did some dive bombing in my spare time. 3 Losses. But I did my thing, did it well and that's all you can really do. I love playing anti-sky cancer sky cancer, if I could get one more wing of bombers id be happy with that. Though there is a slight balance issue, I was in a game with another Independence on my team against 1 Ranger on the other team, it killed all our planes for almost no losses. That's with us grouping our fighters.

I've got to 90/90/10 in W/L/D not sure if I should play any more and ruin the symmetry.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arishtat posted:

So the IJN Furutaka is kinda of an ungainly ship, but it's hard not to love it when you torpedo an onrushing Aoba-class cruiser, disable his engines with a citadel hit and sink him with a magazine explosion 30 seconds later. :black101:

Dude was not happy about that.

I generated some absolute rage last night in my Kongo, Domination game we're down 850-990 so in the dying seconds firing and I fired a desperation shot at one of their BB's. 1 shell hit, magazine explosion and on the way to glorious victory! He was not happy at all.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

I head on rammed some pubbie's almost full health Amagi in my quarter health New York. He killed me and I took all but a tiny bit of health away and the flooding did the rest. We both had a laugh about it.

I only recently discovered there's a ramming achievement that gives you a flag that a makes you better at ramming :black101:

It's slightly misworded, you don't have to survive the battle, just survive the ram.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Is there a way to work out the current degree of rotation of your turret? I know it shows how far from centre currently rotating turrets are but it would be good to know where you're aiming so you can adjust a specific number of degrees.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I put the range and accuracy secondariness upgrade on my Fuso and it seemed to make a noticeable difference to how well it did against DD's close in. It's purely anecdotal but it seems worthwhile to me.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hagop posted:

Wait is the Navy really trying to develop rail guns to replace naval artillery?. A weapon system that is based on the on the principal of moving a small mass really really fast seem like it would not do indirect very well.

They're looking at ones that can hit targets a 100 miles away.

So lasers for close range, Railguns at medium range and cruise missiles for long range strikes.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Are they supposed to be putting in an arming distance for torps? Right now it seems you can launch point blank for full damage.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

I mean that was possible with torpedos. Noone in their right mind would do it tho. And it sucks gameplay wise. Becuase the best way to deal with destroyers right now is either stay out of range or get as close as possible.

Not really, most torpedoes had an arming distance of 360 to 640m controlled by a mechanical mechanism on the torpedo. They just seem to be doing max damage even below 300m.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Open Beta is a glorious time for Torpedoes it seems, I've found loads of people just hiding stationary behind islands eating full waves of torps. This pretty much never happened in CBT and I hope it continues.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

rossmum posted:

Held off fully half of the enemy team, including multiple battleships, from the eastern strait of Fault Line in my Minekaze. Alone. By circling around smoking the mouth of it and making GBS threads torps into my smoke.

I killed 3 of them and got top XP. #justminekazethings.

:allears:

Smoke attracts curious ships just now, they see the smoke and think 'Ohhh there must be a boat there, let me investigate' shortly followed by 'Oh god it's full of torpedoes'

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Aesis posted:

Looking at armor model from certain website. Apparently New Mexico has 25-50 mm armor all-round with 457 mm armor along waterline belt :stare:

Overall all the ships look like they have thin base armor with small belt of armor along waterline, just long enough to protect engine and such.

The New Mexico was 457mm on the turret faces not the not belt, it should be a maximum of 343mm on the belt armour, around 300mm on the conning tower as well means you really do need the plunging fire onto the deck, 90mm will not hold out much even striking it at an angle. Still a good 40mm more belt armour than the Fuso, though the Fuso has a stronger conning tower.

Now if they've modelled that or not I don't know but it seems to be broadly like that in game.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm getting weird lag problems playing just now, my ping is fine at a constant 38ms but sometimes I just lose control of my boat, it appears maybe 1 or 2 boat lengths back from where I actually am, so I can see people shooting, hitting the water in front of me and I take damage. All my shots go straight through boats etc. I have to relog to fix it which is a pain in the rear end. It's cutting into my torpedo funtimes.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

rossmum posted:

Ocean actually owns and I am sorry to all the people who require islands as a crutch.

(Substitute "IS-8" for "ocean" and "armour" for "islands" as necessary for bad WoT opinions.)

I quite like Ocean for something a little different. If every game was Ocean it would be dull but the occasional one is good I think.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm never really clear what it means by citadel on a boat, is it the conning tower? I've not come across it before.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Wade Wilson posted:

Unlocked the first US destroyer.

How close should you be for torps to have a chance of hitting someone? I've tried firing one launcher directly at the current location and leading with the second launcher on a side by about a ship length from 6km away, but the enemy always seems to dodge them somehow by either turning directly toward them and going between them or by simply outrunning the lead.

I managed to get directly next to an enemy ship and loose them once yesterday, but they survived that killed me as I was switching to guns and unloading.

Your torps have a range of 4.5km, so less than that. It does tell you the range on them when you mouseover them, also press x to find out the lead time you need to use.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

I've never played any of the War of ... games but I am interested in naval games and this seems good. Can anyone explain to me the economy of this game? Am i right to say that a F2P player can start with a crap ship (Tier 1?) and then by playing the game gains XP and can level up to Tier 2, and then automatically gain a new ship? Or just gain access to be able to buy a new ship?

Also it seems that you can upgrade your Tier 1 ship and even crew...does that mean in some cases a Tier 1 ship can compete with a Tier 10? Aside from economic reasons, is there any point in using a Tier one if you also have a higher tier?

I play Heroes of the Storm (Blizzard MOBA) if you want to make any comparisons to that (and have no problems justifying spending real money on a game I like).

A tier 1 boat will probably only ever see tier 1 and 2 boats and you can play away at that level forever if you want. When you get enough experience in a boat you unlock the ability to buy the next boat up, or in some instances in a different tree. Everyone starts with a Cruiser and at Tier 2 you can unlock a Tier 3 cruiser or a Tier 2 Destroyer. Your Tier 3 cruiser can unlock a tier 4 cruiser or Tier 3 Battleship etc. You can can then choose to buy the new boat if you have space in your port or just keep on trucking in your current boat though it will never really get any better, you can sell boats you don't want anymore to make more space in your port.

People often find a boat or tier they really like playing and might keep that boat for fun games even though they're well past it in the tech tree.

Being premium is good if you really want to push through from tiers to get higher tier boats, the other thing you might want to spend money on is more slots in your port so you can have more boats.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ranbo das posted:

Pretty sure the Bismark is gonna be a T8 premium and the Tirpitz is going to be the one in the tech tree.

That would be weird as they're Bismarck -Class battleships and the Tech Tree is always the Class of ship not the specific ones. It would mean there's a Premium Bismarck and a Bismarck in the tech tree though I guess. I could see them making the Premium one the Tirpitz just to give them different names.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So with the introduction of the British lines I've decided to start playing this again. They seem to have improved a bunch of stuff since I last played. Are there any must have mods now?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

For the love of god do not come back to this game and start by playing British Cruisers. Absolutely, no question, the worst and most pointless line of ships in the game right now. They are practically guaranteed to get buffs in the next patch.

I was quite liking them so far, but then I've not played very much in them. They do seem to have some issues, like bad guns and short range torps.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Is there a Euro-Goon Division that I can join to help reduce the number of useless pubbies on my team.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Have they said what they're doing with the British lines exactly? Like when will see inoic ships like the Admiral Class Battlecruiser. Will that just be in the Battleship line?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Insert name here posted:

I'm personally hoping the Hood shows up because I could always use more detonation flags

Maybe they'll make it you can't mount a denotation flag to an Admiral Class Battlecruiser unless you've bought the upgraded hull.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

With Warspite already at tier 6, they've given themselves a bit of a squeeze with Hood and PoW as premiums, as PoW can't go higher than 7; probably end up with PoW early to support the launch of the battleship branch, and then Hood much further down the track to support the launch of a battlecruiser tree using Admiral and the alphabet ships

I hope that's more what they do so have the Battleship line go with the Dreadnought and Super Dreadnoughts so something like

Dreadnought (Tier III potentially)
Bellerophon
St Vincent
Neptune
Colossus
Orion
KGV (1911)
Iron Duke
Queen Elizabeth (Warspite so Tier VI)
Revenge
Nelson
King George V (1939)
Vanguard (But maybe not as it was a Fast Battleship)

And a separate Battlecruiser line of

Invincible
Indefatigable
Lion
Queen Mary
Tiger
Renown
Courageous
Admiral
Maybe Vanguard in here.

The Battlecruiser line might only have 3 or 4 viable ships in it though I guess.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Top end of the battleship line is 99% likely to go Nelson -> Vanguard -> Lion (1942) -> Frankenlion (1944) from the shipyards of Wargaming & Wargaming

With only 14" guns on a late treaty hull, KGV has trouble fitting in anywhere without giving the some weird kind of gun stats.

The KGV fits in with the Colorado at Tier VII I think, 10x14" guns vs 8x16" guns with the KGV being faster better secondaries and more belt armour than the Colorado. The 14" shells used were very powerful as well, easily penning 14" armour.

The Duke of York was considered a reasonable matchup to the Scharnhorst in battle as well as it had excellent fire control.

So maybe

Tier 7 - KGV
Tier 8 - Nelson
Tier 9 - Vangaurd
Tier 10 - Mystery Ship (Lion)

?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Forums Terrorist posted:

:cryingfisher:

Also HMS Furious' original configuration with the two 18 inchers.

HMS Incomparable could be a hilarious high tier Battlecruiser, 35 knots with 6x20" guns. But the Vanguard is a batter ship really, with the distinct advantage of being real as well.

I'd like the HMS Furious in as a premium version of the Courageous with that configuration, that would be fun.

In terms of Battleship balance the KGV were better than their caliber would suggest, the BL 14 Mk VII being the most successful naval gun of the war. The KGV's guns could fire faster and further than the 16" guns used by the Americans and it could still pen 11" of armour at 18km which is not too shabby really.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

KGV was designed to have 14" guns from start to finish, the British stuck to the treaty and didn't consider escalating because they would have been delayed too long, which is the opposite of what happened with North Carolina.

Yeah, it was supposed to have quad 14" guns sticking to the treaty and they did consider increasing the calibre but they simply didn't have the time to do the redesign. Unfortunately the quad arrangement didn't work out.

I could see them putting the Nelson class at 7 and the KGV at 8 assuming they take into account the large charge in the 14" shells which is what made them good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

But there aren't any Battlecruisers in the game just now.