Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I've started playing this again after a really long break, and I feel like I've forgotten most everything that I had learned before. What are the fun ships for the brits, soviets, and germans?

Are there any specific skill tree things I should be looking at if I'm currently using a Mahan, Pensacola, and New Mexico?

Does anyone actually go for the dice containers or is it better to mostly just go after credits?

Are there certain ship lines that are just horribly unfun and should be avoided at all costs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I'm nearly 3/4 of the way to my Southern Dragon, but I only have the starter Russian boat. What is going to be a quicker grind to tier 5 for Russian, CA or DD?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Almost have my Southern Dragon. So far the Furutaka and Kirov have both been a lot of fun. The Kuma was a great experience as well.

If I don't want to spend cash on a Belfast, what are some other good options for ranked?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
So I just finished all of the Southern Dragon missions, including the final "win a game" one. The rewards flashed on the left side of my port as usual, but only for a brief second. The ship is nowhere to be found. Does it sometimes take a while for the server to catch up or something?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Victor Surge posted:

click the box in the filters for dragon

This worked and I also didn't even see it the first time I checked the filters.

What a bizarre thing to do.

Thank you.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Blindeye posted:

Pretty sure the Nagato stock has way better dispersion. At least my shells behaved very well from 8-15km.

You were excellent and that Destroyer on our team was a moron.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I'm happy to see the German BB chat as I was about to post some questions on it since I'm about to get into a Bayern.

Also, what upgrades should I run on the Southern Dragon? I just realized I've been playing it bare.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Is the Benson C hull worth getting? It looks like 1.8 million funbux for nothing of note, unless there's secret dumb hidden stuff.

I do plan on picking up the upgraded torps on my way to the Fletcher.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I know this is a retarded question, but how do I get a Missouri? Do I seriously have to grind/convert 750k xp? Cause that's a poo poo ton.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Just hit 13 points for my US DD captain. I've got PM, LS, BFT, CE so far, should I pick up Survivability Expert or Superintendent? They both seem rather useful.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I'm impressed with the Budonny so far, and one of these days I might actually get a victory in it. It does seem like I do 90% of my damage when I'm below 25% of my own health though. Likely user error.

Is the destroyer you get for doing all the tier 8-10 challenges any good? I would think it would have to be for as much poo poo as you have to do to get it, but it's WG so who knows.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
After getting the B hull and IFHE on my captain, the Budyonny is turning into a pretty solid ship. Am I setting myself up for disappointment when I unlock the Shchrororors?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I finally got a non-special mod Supercontainer and it had a Perth and 10 point captain! Having not played any of the British line, what sort of loadout and skillset should I plug into this thing?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I still have 2 and a half nodes to get my Bismark, and I think that's gonna be a struggle with only 4 days left. Tempting to buy the Hood just to make it quicker, but ehhhhhh.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Clarence posted:

It bears repeating - you know you can do the easier missions multiple times, right?

Wait what? I can just do the "grind xp" over and over?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I don't know whether to be incredibly happy or incredibly sad.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Almost to the last node of the Bismark with only a day left. It's gonna be a rough grind tomorrow, but I think I can pull it off.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Up to 106k bonus XP on my Budyonny because I'm too chicken to buy a Shchors while grinding out the last two nodes of this event. On the bright side, only 11k more xp followed by 350k damage and I'll be done.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Finally got my Bismark. Thanks for the tips about re-doing old missions, that helped a lot, even though it was still a fuckton of grinding. Should I get AFT or MFC first at level 10?

Also, unrelated, I have about 140k xp on my Buddonny now that I might convert with dubloons. Is the Shchors enjoyable or should I just skip to the Chapy?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

MikeC posted:

Are the rewards from PvE worth grinding vis a vis time invested?

edit:

Losing is ok with me, even if you are a total poo poo bag. But please don't talk poo poo to me when you have stats like this https://na.warships.today/player/1016377229/VAdmFletcher

I just looked myself up and confirmed that I'm pretty bad, but slowly getting better.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
What skills should I be looking at for Russian CA past 10 points?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Blindeye posted:

Tier 6-8 benefit hugely from IFHE, superintendant is useful on tiers 8+, AFT on 9+ if you want to be AA cancer. Vigilance is always not a bad choice.

I'm in the Shchors right now and I've got IFHE already. There isn't one skillset that would serve me all the way up through T10? I hate the idea of having to start a fresh captain at such higher tiers.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
For as much success and fun that I had in the Kirov and Buddonny, the Shchors is a god drat nightmare so far. I feel like even when I hang back I'm somehow the first to be spotted and within 5 seconds I'm at 10 percent health from some bullshit BB that's 20km away.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Decided to dip my toe into ranked and went 3-0 with Cleveland and 2x Budd. Feels pretty good, maybe I'll see how far I can run with this.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Thinking of buying a Kutz. They're an IFHE boat like the rest of the Russian line, right?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Up to rank 14. Cleveland is serving me well. I just got IFHE, but haven't had any battles with it, so I'm curious to see how much of a difference it makes.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I bought a Kutuzov and so far my damage has been totally anemic. Hopefully this is because I only have 3 points on him right now, and presumably getting DE and IFHE will significantly boost my output.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Mac client keeps crashing for me. That makes me sad because my desktop PC is kind of a piece of poo poo at the moment.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I just came back after a long while: The Cleveland is tier 8 now? And it's terrible? Are the US cruisers worth grinding through this shitpot?

Additionally I have a tier 5 Italian battleship that I don't recall buying or receiving, but it's hilariously fun.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

toadee posted:

Cleveland is fantastic. For the light cruiser line it's somewhat tanky - when you are top tier enjoy bouncing a lot of lower tier BB shells off your bow. It's a great HE spammer. Perhaps you don't have IFHE as a captain skill? It's pretty much essential in order to do damage. Especially when you're bottom tier.

That could be the issue. I think my original Cleveland captain got bounced to the New Orleans, he's got concealment though. Either way, my few games with the Cleveland have so far made it feel like tissue.

I have enough free XP that I could go straight from New Orleans to Baltimore, Cleveland to Seattle, or Schhors to Chapayev. Just need to decide which one is going to be a good fit for me.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Is there an updated skills recommendation list from Hazdoc? I got a Prinz Eugen from a santa container and I don't want to cock up the skills. Plus it would be nice to double-check my existing captains to make sure that they're up to date.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Oh wow one of the missions in the new thing is called "Oriental Wisdom".

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Am I a scrub for never upgrading the fire control systems?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
It just seems like a lot of xp to burn on a minimal increase in firing range. I feel like I'm better off just grinding towards the next tier ship instead.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
What skill loadout should I be working towards for Donskoi/Moskva?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
So aside from being fast, what makes the Leningrad good? My finger is currently hovering over the purchase button.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Sperglord Actual posted:

It can stealth torp fairly well if you run a captain with CE.

I believe I would need to start up a new captain. I think my only two russian captains are on my Kutuzov and Donskoi.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

MrKatharsis posted:

Late reply here but it has a very low profile in the water so it's actually a smaller target than a lot of comparable DDs. This plus the speed makes it good for kiting. I find it super fun.

It would not be a great cruiser captain trainer though. The turret rotation speed almost requires you to spend two captain points.

Yeah so I pulled the trigger and picked it up and it hasn't exactly blown me away yet. How should my modules/captain be set? Maybe I'm just used to US DDs but holy crap are the turret rotations slow.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

toadee posted:

Skills in order of priority: PM, LS, SE, CE, AFT, BFT, EM. You will have the speed and concealment to get into a cap early and the firepower to bully people out of it, but you can also fly around near max range, at max speed, harassing BBs and cruisers. You want to engage other DDs at long ranges, because things like Mahan and Benson and Akizuki will struggle to even touch you at longer ranges while your Soviet railguns will steadily tear them apart.

As was mentioned earlier - your torps aren't bad at all, they have significant range especially for a Russian DD. It can be very effective to launch torps at a target coming toward you, then speed up and start shooting them from longer range. Most will see you at 10+ km once you start shooting and not even consider that your 8km torps could be inbound.

Thanks! What about the modules for slots 3 and 4? I'm currently running the aiming mod and propulsion, but after playing I feel like slot 3 might be better with the main battery mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I'm going to be getting a Moskva soon, and from what I've read I should pretty much just shoot AP poo poo at everything. Sadly, this will mean respeccing one of my two russian captains. I have a Donskoi and a Kutuzov both set up for IFHE and I can't decide which one I want to keep. I guess maybe the Kutuzov because it's a decent money making ship?