Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hellsau posted:

Do not be ashamed. I have heard things about Tanks 360 that makes me want to go out and buy an Xbox. The PC version has an absolutely horrendous player base, and all of them have keyboards, and there's friendly fire so if you try to win and they don't want you to win they can always just teamkill you.

Boats on the other hand, your team will kill you frequently but probably only by accident, and if you really want to teamkill someone it's real easy so you get to remove the horrible people before they become a problem, and usually you can set it up that your team will cheer you on. Gosh the Beta Weekends were fun.

Bets on how long I'll last in beta before being permabanned for TKing and general assholery? I'm trying to last at least two months.

It will be my pleasure to help you in your endeavour of pissing off the pubbies and teaching them that Friendly Fire ain't friendly. :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

James Garfield posted:

I torpedoed some nerd in spawn for whining that battleships were underpowered and said something along the lines of "well now your battleship is extra underpowered" and he threatened to report me, but I haven't had any sort of warning. You're probably safe.

He was right for saying what he said.
You were right for doing what you did.

Everybody's right! Ain't that great? Got to love games with no mechanics to discourage team killing. It really goes well with my bad temper and lack of patience.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Just wondering... Are the servers open to play, or they are just taking registrations?
I want my botes fix damnit!

E: Are we downloading a new client, or updating the beta weekend client?

Dalael fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 12, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

rossmum posted:

I am suddenly really loving bad at this. I am not sure how or why, but it's very discouraging. :sigh:

Tell me about it. During weekend beta, I had over 60% win ratio. Now i'm down to 40%. The worst part is, I usually have good matches in which I perform either decent, or well. :iiam:

http://imgur.com/9uXvpsl
http://imgur.com/PqBYxnX
http://imgur.com/CqM0bIF
http://imgur.com/1ayR0NP
http://imgur.com/jsqoWoN

But then I have matches in which our friendly carrier rushes straight to B and promptly gets sunk, or everyone run after 1 ship and the enemy team gets to cap. :ms:

Hammerstein posted:

You used the words pubbies and learn in one sentence, back to sunday goon school with you.

Facing a Langley is not so bad with it's biplanes but the Independence is already a different beast. I also think that the relation between cruisers/BB and CVs is off by one tier. And it gets uglier with the Saipan and the mod 3 planes, because then you can launch 2 squadrons of TBs which have enough firepower to sink a Kongo in a single run if done properly.

I'm now in a Lexington and if left unmolested then my first strike usually sinks or at least badly cripples a BB. But - in the few instances where pubbies actually stuck together and cruisers used their barrage ability things became a lot harder and every strike could cost upwards of 50% of my planes.

I wasn't paying attention in one match with my Saipan. Both squads of TB and died in a matter of second trying to reach their target. I wondered why until I realized that their path took them right over 2 cruisers and 2 destroyers which all had AA. Higher tier AA is a fickle bitch and that is how I learnt about it.

SuperSix posted:

It's still a pain playing IJN DDs

Although their concealment is crazy. 6km detection basically means i can slip through most maps and right to the CVs, that + smoke is almost a guaranteed carrier kill or two

Still fuzzy on how smoke actually works. More than once, I had DD's disappear from less than 1 km away. But when I use my smoke on a DD, it seems like it does nothing and people can still target me easily. I just don't get it. Anyone care to explain (Yes, I disable AA/secondary when in smoke)

Poil posted:

Do dive bombers have any use beyond being sent in first to hopefully set fire to the ship you're about to torp? It's amazing how often pubbies blow their repair on the fire and then can't do anything about the flooding. Destroyers seem way too small and fast to be hit by bombers.

Dive bombers are great against destroyers. But you can't just click on the DD and expect the planes to do the job. You need to guide them in at the right angle. If done right, you will one shot lower tier DD (1-3) and seriously damage any higher tier. Its also great to get people to use their repair.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 19, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
In my haste to go help a BB being hounded by torpedo bombers, I completely forgot that IJN Destroyers have just as much AA batteries as a 10 year old holding a nerf gun. :downsbravo:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Fart Car '97 posted:

I guess I just got lucky and never had it happen until just now.

Also torpedoes should come with a loving baby lock that doesn't allow someone to fire them into the path of a friendly ship because jesus christ pubbies are loving idiotic when it comes to just spamming torpedoes at ships regardless of whether or not there's friendlies nearby, especially when they're firing them from 8-9K away

The pubes (Pubbie is now too nice a word for them) have absolutely no concept of friendly fire. In their little fragile minds, it is your responsibility to dodge torpedoes that were launched despite 0% possibility of hitting an enemy target. Just like world of tank, you're not playing in a team against another team. You're playing with a group that is just as likely to kill you as the other team is.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
For the coolest ship in history, you have to look at the US destroyer William D. Porter.

http://www.historynet.com/uss-william-d-porter-the-us-navy-destroyers-service-in-world-war-ii.htm

Dalael fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 20, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Jaroslav posted:

This is amazing. How have i not heard about this before? Haha

Probably due to its glorious service record :airquote:
One thing is for sure, if ever we get to rename ships, this will be the name for any and all US destroyers I ever own in game :hist101:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Nordick posted:

This is great :allears:

Am I the only one who immediately started envisioning this as some vaguely Kelly's Heroes-esque war comedy film? Because it should totally be made into one. With some artistic license of course, have them searching around for some sunken Japanese gold treasure or whatever. gently caress, they could even call it Willie's Heroes.

Also I'm totally gonna call lovely pub DD players Willie Dees from now on, I don't even care none of them will get it.

Willie Dees it is. :rms:

Riller posted:

In reference to citadel hits, am I correct that the area outlined below is considered the citadel? I haven't noticed, but does the game give some kind of armor thickness rating for this area so we can tell whether or not we even have a chance to pen a higher tier ship with a lower tier ship similar to armor & pen values in WoT?

Taken from here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_or_nothing_%28armor%29

quote:

"... all of a battleship's armor was concentrated to form an armored "citadel" around the ship's magazine spaces: an armored box of uniform thickness designed to defend against the largest enemy guns.. Save for the turrets, the ammunition hoists, the conning tower and part of the steering gear, nothing in the way of armor protected the remainder of the ship."

What you showed is about right, it would be the citadel.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 20, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Looking at the Fuso modules.. I'm wondering if it really is worth it to upgrade the guns.

I think I prefer the faster turn rate to the +1 artillery.... Any thoughts?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

xthetenth posted:

Where exactly is the +1 artillery coming from? I'd be hard pressed to take slower turn for something like 2 seconds faster reload.

The 360 mm/45 Type41 upgrade gives the following:

+0.1 rate of fire (from 2.0 to 2.1 rounds/min)
+2.6sec for 180 Degree turn time (From 47.4s to 50.0s)
+1 artillery (From 69 to 70)

I think I prefer without the upgrade... + 0.1 RoF and +1 artillery is not worth +2.6 sec of turn time for the guns in my book.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
The mind of a pubbie is a wondrous thing and should be analized by scientists. One of them was complaining about us losing the game when only 1 dude had been killed so far. After telling him that Pokemon may be better suited for him, he went all spergy and tried to blame our impending loss on me.

The match ended in a loss alright. The guy's achievement by the end of the match (he survived the entire game) amounted to 5 planes killed and less than 300XP. Literally the worst player on our team. I had no choice but to message him after the end of the match to let him know that even Pokemon may be too hard for him. Solitaire may be more his thing.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
By now, I think everyone knows that if you point your guns on one side of the ship and hit CTRL-X, they will remain pointed on that side.

However I found out something new. If you point your guns at a location and hit Shift-X, your guns will track that location. Useful to know.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Some dude was in his Tier 5 carrier (Independance) and started asking for the ennemy team to kill him claiming that our team sucked (We in fact, did suck). When I told him that these were bold words coming from a beached carrier, his reply was that being a carrier, he's not supposed to move.

Please.. Enlighten me... How in the hell can someone even think that is a legitimate way to play a carrier? :doh:

E: A beached carrier is effectively an airstrip. If they wanted an airstrip on the island, they would build one.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 22, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'm worried the developing pubbie carrier meta is all fighters all the time because TBing is hard and if you go all fighters you can play pretend useful rts

I am not too worried about that. Since the start of the beta, I have only encountered one carrier who was fit with fighters only. The funny thing was that there were no enemy carrier on the other side, thus he was entirely useless the whole match.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

OSad posted:

My exact experience with BB's so far. I only have a Kawachi, but every game I end up getting shrecked consistently; I think I can lead okay up to 10 kilometers away or so, but these big guns really don't feel accurate at all. I end up firing five or six volleys into the water, then something with more consistency comes along and sinks me. Since I'm so slow, it's hard to get out of the way of torps, to which point your armor doesn't seem to add up to much.

BB's must require some higher degree of skill, but if they're all this slow and inaccurate, I do not understand peoples' obsessions with going straight down the Yamato line. I've played the anime botes flash game and this level of devotion to big-name BB's is mystifying even to me.

Its all related to sex and the size of the size of a player's dick, I am pretty sure. People love to overcompensate for their little weiners with big things like GMC trucks or big guns. And lets face it, the Yamato has the biggest guns around.

JuffoWup posted:

Hah, I love pubbies that are bad at carriers. Just shredded a double flight of torp bombers at the start of the match in the cleveland. I timed it right and got in between where he was planning to go and where he launched them. As soon as they got into range, pressed the barrage button and things died heaivly. They finally turned to drop on one of the nearby BB, but there were so few planes by then. None of them made it back to the carrier. Sadly, that means a faster refit and launch, but I never saw his planes near me again. That match also ended in a nail biter as I had to finish off one BB that was trying the sidescrapping thing and his DD buddy came in to rambo torp me. Luckily, My last salvo before I had to give up sank the BB and then I turned my nose at the DD and the guns were enough to wreck him too. Then we won because of points.

Still doesn't redeem the cleveland though. I get that I can switch fire better than the aoba, but I just really don't like fighting BBs in it. It just doesn't feel it has the power to really pen for citadel hits like the aoba can. And even if both did get a citadel hit, the 203 is going to make for a messier citadel compared to the cleveland. The only thing the cleveland really has over the aoba is a bit better AA screen really.

Edit: I just looked and noticed something. Raise your hand, how many people looked at the torpedo armement expertise skill (2 point one) and passed it over as a DD only skill? *raises hand*

Read the info some more. -10% service time on torp bombers as well. Uhhhh, I know what to get at that tier first for my carrier captain.

One thing people need to start understanding, and god I cannot stress this enough, is that Cruisers are NOT meant to fight battleships. Fight other cruisers, kill destroyers, and shoot battleships if they are engaged against another battleship. Do not go toe to toe with a battleship. You may win due to the other person's lack of skills, but if you encounter one who can lead his shots properly (like this guy who wrecked my Fuso in 4 salvo's, all of them dead on at 15+ km) you will regret it badly.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I just played one of the best game in my Minekaze. I spent approximately 8 minutes, running after the 2 enemy carriers which were grouped together. Both of them were sending their torpedo planes and bombers to try and sink me. I got hit by a few bombs, but managed to avoid all of their torpedo's against me. They must have launched at least 10 waves.

I didn't end up doing much other than killing a few planes and sinking one of the 2 carriers, but drat it was fun trying t make sure I don't get hit while closing all that distance.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Lorem ipsum posted:

You don't have to kill them the first time with bombers because unlike destroyers, you can try again

Not a higher tier you can't. If you miss your first pass and have to abort your launch, turn the planes around and try again, more often than not the AA will shred you apart. Unless you abort well in advance and are not yet in the range of the AA batteries.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

TheFluff posted:

Not sure if I'm understanding the problem you're describing correctly, but I've had similar-ish problems with shots ending up in bizarre places and it's always been due to the game deciding to focus on a ship that isn't the one I'm actually shooting at. If your target doesn't have the targeting circle around it, just press x a few times until it does.

The aiming model in this game is some deeply magic poo poo, by the way. Because clicking on the point in the ocean that you actually want to hit is too hard, the game does a lot of weird poo poo with how the recticle works so you only ever really aim in one dimension - range is automagic and depending on what ship the game has decided to focus on. When firing on a ship that is heading towards you or away from you, you never need to try to estimate how much to lead it in range, only in horizontal movement. The game seems to magically figure the extra range out for you and the correct thing to do is to not attempt to compensate for it. Normally this just serves to make the game easier, but if you and the game disagree on what you want to shoot at, weird things happen and shots fall short or long.

Someone mentioned earlier that the game is definitely less complex than World of Tanks because it only has two dimensions to the three featured in tanks, but in reality I'm pretty sure the game only really has one dimension as far as gunnery goes.

I'm sorry but this is simply not true. There are many occasions in which I have shot at ships heading towards or away from me, and I've had to lead my shots every single time. When I don't lead well enough, you can clearly see the bullets hit the water either too far, or simply not far enough. I do not know how you came to your conclusions, maybe you happen to be really good at leading in these conditions.

But this idea that you do not need to lead because range is automatic? Not sure I'd bet money on that.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

xthetenth posted:

I think there's definitely some weirdness where a ship moving between you and your target can "capture" your reticule and get your shots to fire short, but leading isn't automatic.

I would tend to imagine that this is simply an optical illusion. Human eye is not the greatest when it comes to judging speed and distance. When a ship moves on the horizontal plane, it allows our brain to rather easily calculate speed, especially if you have a point of reference. However, when the ship moves towards or away from you, it makes it much harder to determine its speed. Pretty sure that is what is happening.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

TheFluff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9LNYTAqPzM

Does this convince you, Dalael? I have several more examples from that same game if you want more demonstration.

(got six kills in that game, the cleveland loving owns)

Also I can confirm that if you unlock the target following cam you can indeed lead in range and that will work. It's much more annoying to play that way though because you have to manually track the targets instead of keeping your aim exactly the same between shots.

I think this is the problem. I never track my targets (except for torpedoes) so I have been forced to lead in all directions. Its why i didn't quite believe it at first, but those video's you linked clearly demonstrate what you had been explaining. Its nice to know that I can now press X for auto-win.
Sorry about doubting you ;)

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

PirateBob posted:

Same. Now I have both an NA account and an EU account for the CBT. :cool:

Will have to see how much difference 200 ms vs 50 ms ping makes before I decide whether to start over without my precious Fuso and Cleveland ships on the EU server. :shobon:

It makes a lot of difference. I play at work using my cell phone for internet connection which gives me a ping of almost 180ms compared to approximately 35 at home. I am much more terrible when playing at work.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Arishtat posted:

Given the flight time of the shells a ping time of 150-200ms isn't a big deal. I did, however, notice intermittent packet loss this weekend which manifested itself as ships 'jumping' kind of like how tanks used to way back in beta for World of Tanks. It made trying to aim the Kongo's guns extra fun.

That jumping is exactly what I was talking about. I thought that was due to the ping I had at work. It made it really difficult to hit at long range.
s.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Grakkus posted:

One of those gamemodes, the one with the three cap circles, is awful though. The points the caps provide contribute too much to winning and ships are too slow/unmaneuvrable players are too dumb/retarded to react to caps, so the winner of the match is usually whoever caps two points at the start.

Fixed that for you.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Generation Internet posted:

My biggest annoyance with playing as CVs so far is that there's absolutely nothing you can do if the enemy carriers have better fighters than you do. If you fight them one on one you'll lose every plane and maybe shoot down one of theirs, so the only thing your fighters can accomplish is distracting theirs for long enough to strike with your other planes. It's a shame because that's not the case with ships, generally speaking it's a more level playing field in terms of fighting higher-tiered ships with guns.

If you are not the only carrier on your team, then you can always have your fighters stick with his and hope that he's smart enough to take advantage of this opportunity and help you taking out the enemy fighters.

Insert name here posted:

Yeah CVs being super tiered and having to sit on your rear end for half the game because it takes forever to retrieve your planes is probably the worst part of playing CVs.

Hence why I'm a battlecarrier! :black101:
Get closer to the action by choosing a side and sticking to it. Then get closer to the battle lines but just out of range of the enemy. If your side gets murdered, either try and run away, or remember my name and tell me how stupid this idea was. :argh:

Poil posted:

I have the -10% service time to aircraft and -10% time for torpedo bombers. Still takes a really long time. I bet the reload time was set with the assumption that you'll have both those skills. If planes could land faster and more reliably or even land and takeoff planes at the same time or just cut down the time it takes for planes to lift, half the time would make more sense, it would make carriering a lot less annoying. :rant:

Yeah the alarm seems utterly useless unless you're in a destroyer.

I think they're trying to remain historically accurate. At this point in time, carriers did not have angled deck which meant that having planes taking off and landing at the same time was impossible. Or impractical.

Daktari posted:

I need to get in on this, and torpedo pubbies a ton.
All while claiming my innocence in allchat:
"Sorry, I had no idea that would hurt you",
"OPS, first time in this boat, I guess we all get lucky sometimes",
"I was aiming for that other guy, please don't run into my torps",
"Did they nerf BB AA decently",
etc

Those are pretty sad troll, and if you use them I will make fun of you. :colbert:

demonR6 posted:

Reply with "umad bro, Poi?" and then watch things get interesting.

Poi! Poi! Poi Poi Poi!
See how bad that was? Don't say Poi unless you're retarded.

Vadoc posted:

Just saying Poi or anything with poi at the end gets people so mad. It's hilarious.

And I bet most of those who 'get mad' are other goons who find that retarded. Enjoy your anime.

TheFluff posted:

I've handed out 18 keys to goons so far :v:

I am a amateur historian gigantic nerd who visits the Swedish national military archives on a weekly basis, doing research on Swedish tank development history. I've been doing this for about a year and a half at this point. Wargaming has shown interest in implementing Swedish tanks and I had a meeting regarding that with their historian Yuri Pasholok and some other WG employees in Stockholm a month or so back. When I asked my contact at Wargaming for a key for my own use he was like "you should've asked earlier, there was a closed alpha you could've been in but feel free to ask for keys for your friends/people in your gaming community" and since I mostly play online games with goons, well, you're all my friends right? I also got more keys for promising to investigate Swedish ships.

I am honest to god jealous of your life right now.

Dammit_Carl! posted:

I think I've arrived; suffered not one but two "friendly fire," torpedo incidents in two back-to-back games - promptly started calling everyone "cunts," and ragequit for the night.

Awesome!

When you have stupid teammates, especially one in a DD who torpedoes you, it is your Goon given obligation to call them WIllie Dees.
Here is why: http://www.historynet.com/uss-william-d-porter-the-us-navy-destroyers-service-in-world-war-ii.htm

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I need to vent a bit...

Seriously, why is it that most player will race to the edge of the map ALL the loving time, as if its the only position they can be at in order to get a firing solutions. More and more, I see DD and even cruisers rushing in the middle through that huge gaping hole that can effectively be called 'The entire loving map' left wide open by said players. This means that our carriers (often times, me) have to spend most of our time ducking torpedoes and/or bullets rather than playing our own little RTS 'Sink the enemy ship' game. It can be a bit frustrating.

On another note, as a DD, a few matches in a row I managed to go sink the enemy carrier by exploiting the big gaping hole I just bitched about. Its fun when the red team creates that gap. Not so much when the green team does it.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Cardiac posted:

First fun game in a carrier.

Sometimes I don't understand how XP works in this game. I have had games that were pretty similar as this in terms of kills and damage done, yet I have never came close to this amount of XP. Am I right to assume this is your 1.5x ?

E: Very nice game btw.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
The tears of some people are just too delicious.

I'm in my minekaze, rushing along side a Omaha in order to go sink a Langley. My guns can't track worth poo poo, so that leaves torpedoes... The Omaha decides to cut me off because he wants his kill so bad. Considering I hadn't shot anything or anyone yet, I decided that my only recourse was to drop my torpedoes anyways. After 4 of them 'accidently' slammed into the Omaha's hull, the guy starts bitching at me for the rest of the match (a good 4 or 5 minutes) claiming how I'm ruining the community and there is no way to keep assholes out of anywhere.

I wish I had taken a screenshot :smugmrgw:

E: On another note, I've been trying to get some reaction by starting every game today with the following: Christopher Hitchins was a saint and it is time for the Church to recognize him as such.

Surprisingly, no bites.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 29, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Fart Car '97 posted:

But this post just makes you sound like a giant rear end in a top hat?

You sir, are on the wrong forum. (I think you're looking for reddit)

The guy had a clear shot on the carrier. The only reason he cut me off, was so that I can't take shots myself. If I'm the rear end in a top hat in this story, then count that earlier post as me farting in protest.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 29, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

OSad posted:

I saw Slim Jim Pickens in a game yesterday. First goon I saw playing this game that I could recognize.

I would've said hi, but I actually only noticed his name as he was sinking. :saddowns:

I noticed him too. Then I realised he was dead and it saddened me that I was the only goon left. 4 seconds later, his whole salvo of torpedos sank me and we both out of the game.

Good times.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Carrier sailors also get really mad when first their fighters then their torp bombers fly in a straight line towards the battleship blob and into a cruiser's woodchipper I've discovered.

Seriously, carriers consistently seem to attract the biggest morons in my experience. At least tunnel-vision battleships usually put some shells on target.

To be fair, a lot of it has to do with spotting mechanics (or at least I hope). Often times a carrier will send his planes out to a battleship and have the planes go over an island, only to find out that a Cleveland is hiding behind said island and was not spotted because of that. If the carrier player is not paying attention at that point, none of his planes will ever come back. I do it all the time in my cleveland and it is hilarious. It sucks when you're the carrier tho.

I find that carriers are not nearly the sky cancer that artillery in W.o.T are. Carrier players are often hit or miss. Either they do a poo poo ton of damage and/or maybe a few kills, or they are completely useless and none of their torpedoes hit. The funniest poo poo is when a carrier is loading with only fighters, and there's no carriers on the opposing team. When your only targets are scout planes, you are in for a very boring match.

McGavin posted:

This game needs a mod that shows gun and torpedo range for everything.

But.. the game already shows you. For torpedo range anyways. When you aim your torpedoes, it shows you exactly how far it will go. It just does not tell you in terms of km. Gun range is a bit tricker tho, bu tfrom what I noticed if you can aim for it you can hit it.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Zettace posted:

When does the daily exp multiplier reset?

8pm EST I believe. You'll need to convert for your own timezone.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

James Garfield posted:

Citadel hits should probably do like 25% more damage plus bonus module damage, instead of doing three or four times the damage. It's really stupid that a citadel hit does an order of magnitude more damage than another shell that hits half a meter higher.

No.. No its not.

Citadel hits means that you have hit very vulnerable components. The shell that hits 1 few meter higher does not. Case and point, HMS Hood. 1 solid hit to the magazine was enough to turn this BattleCruiser into a submarine.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I finally got a Cleveland recently. Played a few matches with it and it seems so much better than its IJN counterpart. I knew the Cleveland had nice AA (from losing many torp bombers as a carrier) but I wasn't fully prepared to what it could actually do. 2 Squads of torpedo planes tried to fly right over me. I had not seen them comming, so when all the AA batteries opened up I was really surprised. I activated the Cruiser's AA ability only to see the 2 squads of torpedo's disappear. Only 1 plane made it back alive.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I've been having issues with ghost ships in my long-range bombardment on the Fuso. Still learning to lead my targets better.

While the Fuso's less accurate than the Kongo, it does have 2 more guns which means 4 more shots. It's better as a 10km-ish brawler in that regard.

8 to 12 km is a great range for the Fuso. At 8, you aim for the water line of a ship, at around 12, you can still get some plunging fire. Outside of those ranges (farther anyways) the Fuso becomes rather useless. The spread it just too bad and its not uncommong to have a perfect lead on a ship and still miss every shot.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Magni posted:

Welp, I guess I just managed to get a pubbie to troll himself. Typical perma-immobile carrier dumbass managed to get his own torpbombers to nuke half his healthbar when he was trying to use 'em to get my New Orleans off his back. :downs:

:bravo:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

MREBoy posted:

Did you folks know patch files are just a big ZIP or RAR or some sort of archive ? 7-ZIP opens them just fine. I did some poking around...

All the elements of that "SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO" mode are in there :cripes: :wtc: :suspense:

I'm not kidding - map, load screen background, ship icons, skybox, the whole thing:

Here's "99_deep_space.png", in "wows_30.90523_30.90070_client.patch\res\gui\maps_bg\"

Harbor previews & in-match icons:

also spotted: what appear to be files for USA Battleships :haw: and maybe IJN carriers :japan:.

I dare any of you to post this to the official forums

You have got to be making GBS threads me.
2$ and a lollipop to whoever manages to make my ships look like that picture and changes my ocean and island to space and asteroids. gently caress WWII. I want the spaceship Yamato!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

MREBoy posted:

JUST BECAUSE I CAN:

I want this. I want this more than a fat guy wants pie..

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Pretty sure Wargaming has fixed whatever enabled people to use the autoaim mod - there was a small patch earlier today, and some people were bitching about the mod not working.

In other news, I finally got the Cleveland - I love that fucker. It just rains lead and mows down destroyers. I wasn't paying attention to where I was and ran into land while making a sharp turn avoiding torpedoes. Destroyer thinks it's time to close in for the kill and I annihilate him, so he spends the rest of the match bitching about how it was bullshit. Made me so happy.

The Cleveland is a god drat beast. I would say its probably the best ship in the game overall. Absolutely no complaint about a ship that allows for this:

http://imgur.com/usgc5Z5

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Some teams are just so bad.... and for once it was not on my side.

Playing with my Lexington, I was first annoyed when I noticed that both ranger on the other team were fit with 3 fightersy. 6 fighters to my 2 sounded like really bad odds. Somehow, despite being completely outnumbered, both my torpedo bombers made it all the way to one of the ranger and proceeded to unload all their torpedoes. I really only needed one squadron since all 6 torpedoes slammed in the first Ranger, teaching him the valuable lesson that being completely stopped with an Island blocking your escape is a very stupid loving idea.

While my planes were on the way back, the enemy team played a game of origami and folded like paper. By the times by bombers landed for a refit, more than half of the other team was dead.

I sent my planes on what ended up being a last run, sinking one of their 2 remaining battleship with a perfect run. I admit I kinda impressed myself. A few seconds later, their last ship sank and we won the match.

Edit to avoid double-post: That aiming mod.. :negative:
Just played a match in my Nagato and got owned so loving bad. Every shot landed on me despite the fact that I was zig-zagging as much as possible and modifying my speed. If these guys were not using the mod, then they are loving good at leading.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I have been in the weekend beta from the start. I also joined the closed beta on the first day. Yet, for some reason, I have just received a key by email. I'll check on the wargamming forums to see if I actually need that key for something. If not, then I may be giving it to one of you guys.