Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Ships took so long to build though that most of them were prewar designs anyway, the only big things they changed was AA and radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
They need to get rid of those dumb islands. They already have cover in dd smoke screens, all the islands do is make fleet maneuvers impossible

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Vengarr posted:

I think that's why there are islands. So every clan match doesn't turn into 10 ships per team sailing line ahead.

No it is because the devs are scared to use their brain. Smoke screens and torpedo runs by mass destroyers can break up a line quick. Right now it is just chaos and it really limits what could potentially be a good team game.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

This isn't a sim game with a sim player base, torpedoes would instantly kill 60% of the pubbies.

Who gives a gently caress about pubbies. They are gonna suck and they are going to die regardless of what the map looks like. I can tell you exactly what the meta game is going to turn into in a bit. The long range BBs and crusiers and carriers are going to stand off the islands and shoot whatever broken up group or single moron decides to cap a point or come through and attack the line. Both sides will do this until either the timer runs out or it almost runs out and one team makes a last ditch effort that just ends up looking stupid. There are only two things you can do to prevent this, either removes 2/3 of the islands or make a few big islands or a port or anything realistic so you can use realistic tactics OR you are going to have to make each and every ship along a tier be just as tough and have as much killing power. So a yamato would be as tough as a dd, and that in my eyes would make for a really dumb game.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

squidflakes posted:

Yeah man, you're right. Areas in the ocean with scattered groups of islands don't exist, and if they did, no one ever fought a naval battle around them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuuk_Lagoon

Dial it back bro I just said less terrain not make every map open ocean.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Having maps of actual places where battles took place would be cool as hell. Savo island, port arther, phillippines, etc.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Avynte posted:

Navyfield was terrible with the lack of islands. Hope you're in a BB because outside of the first suicidal torp run, no one was crossing no-man's land in the center for a long time. That or you loved sailing up and down waiting for someone stupid enough to get close to your guns / grinding cash via AA.

Again, this won't be the case because unlike navy field there will be cover in the form of dd smoke screens. But if there are only a few choke points that the bbs and anyone with torps can zero in on then they are much less of a tool than they could be.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Orv posted:

Here's how your No Islands, Only Smoke Screens, Final Destination proposal would go:

1. DDs drop smoke
2. Everyone who isn't a BB shits torps into smoke
3. BB shits shells into smoke and instantly blows up DD/seriously damages cruisers and other BBs
4. No-one has fun

Buddy there have been plenty of games where there have been fleet actions in open ocean and all that crap you typed didn't happen. Here are just two solutions to that, have more than one dd make smoke so there is too much area for the other team to cover all of it. Have the dds far enough ahead so the smoke obscures vision and lets the other teams line change course a bit so all those torps and shots miss by a mile.

We can go around and around like this all day. I don't understand why so many of you have a bee in your bonnet about having more map variety. If, once it is in we cant make it work then sure change it, but the fact you are so resistant to trying something new in a new game in a beta is loving crazy town.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Was there a general audience game that features fleet maneuvers in open ocean? I can't think of one.

World of tanks has been out for like 6 years and the average player still can't read their minimap, and still does things that objectively hinder their team. You literally cannot expect cooperation and competency from the player base, so why introduce maps that will require that?

Navyfield one and two? I understand world of tanks sucks, that's why I don't play it. I don't want to see it become just a mirror of something I don't like. I would rather it look like war thunder which has a great map selection with a lot of variation and seems to at least be constantly striving to make the game better.

Also, your argument of "pubs can't be counted on to have tactics" means nothing to the discussion, because both teams would have pubs and no matter what the map looked like they wouldn't do well. It is neither an argument for or against anything anyone has said. Eventually though there will be teams and teams will do better than randoms generally in any situation, it is also not an argument for or against any particular map. What I am concerned about is variety and allowing the teams to make something more of this game than just a cheap level treadmill grind fest. You want to know about how the map influences how good a game is and its depth of character look at any competitive game out there. They all care a lot about making sure the maps enhance the game and not just serve as some pubbie treadmill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Had an immensely satisfying match today. Two fighter bogue kinda sucks since half the time you are against a single carrier, but when you get a good game it is great.