Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
So how are cruisers supposed to be played in a game? I am new and teched up to the lvl 4 German cruiser and the matches the game is putting me in always has like 4-5 BBs 3 cruisers and 1-2 destroyers. Every match seems to revolve around DDs doing sneaky things and BBs dominating everything else.

The moment I become annoying enough to focus attention on, their big guns shred me to bits. I tried going for a close range attack with AP but I just ended up giving somebody a "close combat" badge..... What is the purpose of a cruiser when there are that many battleships running around other than just trying to kill enemy cruisers while cowering in fear of some BB deciding to make you eat your lunch

VVV Sorry if it came off as whiney I am just trying to figure out hte game VV

MikeC fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Redeye Flight posted:

Nah, we're not calling you whiny, the Karlsruhe is just a contender for weakest ship in the game. Keep at it--next tier you're going to get one of the strongest ones. You still won't have any armor but your guns will be INCREDIBLE.

Thanks, its just so weird. I was doing really well in the German lvl 3 cruiser but lvl 3 games seem to have A LOT LESS BBs to hide from. And those BBs don't take out half your health with 1 volley.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Is the St. Louis supposed to be some god tier cruiser at low levels? That thing seems to pack a big punch and have a shitton of hp

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Ice Fist posted:

If you can't beat 'em join 'em.

I ploughed through T6 ranked. Only lost 2 games.

Also I agree that BBs are really proliferated right now, but honestly I attribute a lot of my success to some good DD play. I had some real good DD drivers provide cover and heavily influence matches. Cruisers though? I don't recall being impressed by any cruisers I saw.

Are they pretty much just a joke ship? I have found some success recently with the Karlushe but it basically amounts to hiding behind BBs, spitting out a constant barrage of HE at max range and discouraging DDs from trying to do torpedo runs. It can be terribly dull though and if your friendly BBs don't stick together, all your patience just results in you getting sunk with little accomplished.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Finally after slaving away in the Karlsruhe, I have unlocked koingsberg. Hopefully this will be the big relative upgrade everyone says it is

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

kaesarsosei posted:

Keep in mind that the step up isn't as prenounced as it used to be because of the MM changes. Your Karlsruhe is a poo poo T4, but at least it is only seeing T5 ships at worst. The Konigsberg is an awesome T5, but it is regularly seeing T7, and no T5 bar IJN DDs can make that jump painlessly.

Yea I saw that in my first game. But the difference is still night and day. I feel relatively faster and harder to hit compared to the field and I can actually stand at range and still deal damage. The stupid Karlushe seemed to have 0 relative advantages to its opponents. In fact it felt like it was simply inferior in every aspect against all my opponents except for rate of fire.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Thanks to all those who told me to stick with German Cruisers and get to Tier V. Konigsberg has been super fun to play. Ironically, even though by every metric in the game I am a lot more effective than when I was in the Karlushe, my win % is much lower.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

OwlFancier posted:

I am banging my head against my T4 BB which is worse than the T3 BB in terms of accuracy, with the added advantage of requiring me to submit my gun traversal requests by post 3 weeks in advance.

When I gently caress up and my Kberg is down, I play my Kaiser and the dispersion on those guns are hilariously bad. 10km out, enemy showing broadside, ranged in with previous shot. Unleash a volley of 6 rounds. Watch them bracket the enemy ship both in front and behind, starboard and port. Get 1 non penetrating hit. Proceed to wait 25 seconds to try again. :thumbsup:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Vengarr posted:

I could use some general cruiser tips beyond the obvious "don't be the first into a fight" and "shoot AP at lightly armored cruisers and BB superstructures, HE at everything else". I feel like I'm pretty good with BBs, okay with destroyers, and terrible with cruisers.

I can only give advice for German cruisers, T5 and T6 but the general gameplay style seems to be more of an outfighter than anything else. Stay around the 13-15 km range and snipe with your guns and always be presenting a 45 degree profile at best. The guns seem to fire quick and as long as you fire AP into enemy BB superstructures and not their heavily armored sections, you can bleed them for a lot of damage surprisingly quick. Also late in games if there are few enemy ships left it is possible to swing to the blind side of a BB pretty quickly and unload a surprisingly brutal volley of close range Torps.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Are Japanese DDs where its at if you want to be a Torp boat? I noticed in the tech tree that American DDs seem to have very short range torpedoes

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

ToiletDuckie posted:

Tricky question. Up to Tier V IJN owns the torpedo boat game. Tier VI and up you might want to play US since the combination of Hydro/Radar/Player Competence (heh)/general torpedo visibility nerfs mean a pure torpedo boat isn't ideal. Then again, I've seen Mutsukis and Hatsuharus do terrible things to people...

Yea its going to be low level play anyways. Just as something to switch up if i don't want to play my German cruisers. Still loving the Nberg despite the sometimes awful experience of misjudging distance and having all 7 enemy ships in the game tunnel on you.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
If I am a BB stuck in a brawl type situation vs enemy BB, where should I be aiming? I try to keep my ship angled against his but my shells seem to bounce off and his do insane amounts of damage. Also go citadel'ed several times and I can;'t seem to find my own. Where should I be aiming? Right at the water line? Currently in a T5 German BB

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Polyakov posted:

Bayern good, gneisenau great, bismarck outstanding.

Nobody has fun in early battleships, the Kongo is pretty much the only good one pre t6.

Having zero luck with the Konig at the moment. Nothing ever penetrates, shot scatter seems insane

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Velius posted:

I'm no master of battleships but the Konig is my worst of the tier 3 to 8 German battleships by far. 43% win rate, which is atrocious. My next lowest is the Tirpitz at 57%. It isn't a good ship. Slow speed and bad accuracy make it really hard to influence rounds.

Edit: it's the worst of all German ships for me, and only the pre boost Furutaka is worse among ships I used more than ten battles.

are its guns comparatively bad for T5 battleships? I went heads up against a Nikolai, full broadside of 10 guns into her at 5km into the hull. 1 Penetration shot out of 6 or 7 hits

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
The Nuremburg era for me is at an end. I will be sad. Any major play style changes I should be aware of?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

ZombieLenin posted:

The Yorck is a fantastic ship, but a huge deviation from the rest of the line. She has good AE, huge shell arcs that shoot over islands, and low-velocity floating shells.

Only use AP under 9k, for the most part, and the rest HE.

After her the line returns to basically the AP platform you're used to on the German cruiser line.

But yeah, I loved the Yorck so much I let her; however, when I first started playing her I hated her. So give her a few games before you make up your mind.

Thanks for the tips! The Grind does start to feel long here. 21k xp just to get her out of stock

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
How do people get so much XP? Is premium really that good? Most games I win I get 1k. But then I see people post 10k XP gain with 28k dps done.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

no bones about it posted:

You spend a poo poo ton of flags to get that as well as it being your 200% win with a premium ship. I figure I was rocking about 1000% xp modifier because I came in at about 960 unmodified xp.

Also, DPS is a nice way to boost xp yeah but solo capture points are 1000 xp, you get about 300 for an assist.

Are there any credit boost flags? Thats sort of my main bottleneck right now

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Lord Koth posted:

Zulu - Top row, third from the right, and it gives a +20% credit bonus. Aside from flag handouts, you get them for First Blood medals. Annoyingly, unlike some of the flags where you get 10 when you earn the medal, you only earn 1 Zulu flag for a First Blood medal, and the limit of only getting the flag reward 1/day still applies.

I assume its just more efficient and buy gold to convert to credits than buying flags? Thinking of getting that veteran's day pass.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Vengarr posted:

Always play with goons if you can help it. My win rate in 3-man goon platoons is absurd.

discord the best way to go? I have abandoned the German cruisers for now and I am having a lot of fun with the Bayern now that my German BB side grind has gotten to T6, crappy accuracy but seems to hit like a truck if a shell touches you. The secondaries are seem very nice.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
how do you get the scharnhorst, I can't see it in the premium shop

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I had an iowa blunder into my sims hiding in smoke, broadside, 2km away. That was the sweetest torping ever.

Not that I am an expert after 3 weeks int his game but BB diving into a smoke screen seems suspect

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

wdarkk posted:

I'm not sure if there's any way to actually fix the "CV is more important than anyone else" thing, other than adding really manual AA control.

How does that skill actually work? Do you have to target planes squadrons before your AA will fire now?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Seems like the sweet spot for German ships so far is T6. I kind of lost interest in the Yorck after about 30 games given how it seemed barely more survivable than he Kberg/Nberg line but had horrible shell arcs. Switch over to the BB line and I am crushing it with the Bayern unless I got uptiered to fight Bismarcks or NCs. Love how you can just bow and wade into it in almost any situation and not get killed.

Approaching the 80k XP for the Gneiseneau. Does the same playstyle carry over? The ship description says it has bad horizontal armor and it does seem like the belt armor is a bit thin. Also the 6 gun thing has me kinda worried. Also I am training up a secondary spec captain for the Bismarck whenever I get there, are the Gneiseneau's secondaries good enough to mount the secondary upgrade module?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Thanks for all the tips on T7. As for the Yorck, its not the toughness that really gets me, I played lots of Kberg/Nberg games and loved it despite the fact that you can get 1 shotted if you make a mistake, its the fact that I can barely hit anything at all with those damned guns. At T5 and T6, I was raining AP shells on BB superstructures for good damage at good distance, 13-14 km and landing shots. With the Yorck, I can't hit the broadside of a barn unless its like sub 10k and you get lit up real fast at that range, no chance to dodge at all.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Starting to get really tired of Gnei's RNGesus guns. I can get games of 80k damage and games of 20k damage based entirely on dispersion.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Only 16 games in and I've been lucky with mine so far with 60k average damage. Have had a few frustrating games though including a penascola presenting broadside multiple times without me getting a solid hit and then being melted.

Straddling targets constantly for me is exceedingly annoying. You know you did nothing wrong when 2 shots fall short and the other 4 fall behind that bloody Cleveland's smoke stack who is spamming HE nonstop

edit: The armor is also exceedingly weak it seems in some places. Someone told me earlier in the thread to play it like the Bayern but with Torps but either I am 100% in competent or he was wrong. I could smugly sail into 2+ BBs of the same or lower tier in the Bayern and expect to actually live. The Gnei gets torn up real fast and I can't really close to cut down on dispersion bullshit until near end of game.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
As awful as a bad run of teammates can be, sometimes you get nights like tonight where its the other team that is always full of derps and you end up having an 8-1 run.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Can someone explain the mechanics of how a shell can be reported as a 'penetrating hit' yet score no damage? Is it just a client error?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Vengarr posted:

I believe this happens when your shell hits an AA gun or secondary gun, and then bounces off the deck/superstructure armor. You penetrated a "module", so it's considered a good hit. Just...no damage.

Ah ok, makes sense then. A lot of this is coming from long range fire coming straight down on a ship. That and overpens always get me excited hearing the "chink" sound signifying a hit but then immediately disappoints me when my Damage meter doesn't rise

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Xae posted:

Do they ever plan on doing anything to end this lovely metagame where both teams have 6 battleships that just circle in spawn?

It's reasonably rare occurrence in my experience. Keep in mind BB durdling near spawn is actually reasonable if it's a BB DD team comp. At least until the DDs thin themselves out. Driving into the unknown with a fatass and 5 unspotted enemy DDs usually ends in tears

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

OwlFancier posted:

Hm, everything's been pretty much wrecking me but maybe because I've been consistently uptiered? I didn't have that much trouble in T7 with the konig though.

Are you trying to play long range sniper duels? T8 BBs and their 16 in guns will crush your deck armor and you have no chance at bouncing it. The Bayern is meant to be drivin right into the muck where enemy BBs bounce shells off your belt and side armor while your guns can usually consistently pen opposing BBs. Basically you can never get citadel in close with angled bow on. Its not like you are impervious to damage or anything, its just that other BBs have to fear close range citadel pens a lot more than you do. Even if you both don't citadel each other, on average in your level band, you can easily outslug any other BB close in by a reasonable margin.

No reason to stay arms length unless there are a ton of enemy DDs

USN and IJN seem to have a big jump in power going from T7-T8 so maybe getting up tiered hurts more. I mean, its the NC vs the Colorado.....

edit: the Wiki might say it has lovely guns because of German BB main battery dispersion. Its pretty miserable at long range.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 4, 2016

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Halfway to the Bismarck..............gotta keep going.

At least the Gnei is a fun ship to pilot.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

OwlFancier posted:

There's always DDs/CAs with torpedoes and the thing is so slow that it gets shredded face on before it gets into brawling range, because they can shoot me from 20km away.

Essentially it just feels like brawling doesn't work as well in tiers where everything has accurate, powerful, long range guns, because the chances of you getting a 1 on 1 are very low because everything has interlocking fire coverage owing to the massive gun ranges, and everything can outmaneuver you.

Against things in its own tier maybe it works but when driving it is making me consistently play with T8s it seems like a downgrade for the same reason the minekaze was.

You and I have vastly different experiences with the Bayern then. I put in 90 games in the Bayern on my way up so I don't think it's just small sample size.

If you are pushing objectives and receiving any type of support from friendly DDs, doing standard BB course and speed deviation on the way in, the threat of torps is acceptable.

I have never found it an issue closing in to a range where our armor takes over

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

El Disco posted:

The idiot in question since it's hard to read the name. Standard idiot BB driver.

The guy is a PvE hero. Don't mind him. The scary part is that apparently that kind of performance is "average" according to that database.

edit: Its [BOTES] a goon team?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Thats what you get for having teenage girl avatar as captain.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

wdarkk posted:

So weird.

Somebody has to play against the terrible teams.

Also, some of these campaign missions like "earn 2k XP in a single battle". Are they a lot easier in Premium mode? I just had a 118k dps win on my Gnei and I could only hit 1683 XP. Does mounting flags count or is it base xp?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Having an awful go of it today. All my shots seem to bounce, I haven't had a citadel all day long. I line up cruisers showing broadside and its all over pens or shots fall short.......Sometimes the German BB guns giveth....sometimes they taketh away

edit: finally had a decent game today. And it fails because no one guarded cap. Instead they hung around map edge. So they won't attack and they won't defend. What good are you? I don't get why people do this. It can't possibly be fun spending 15 minutes just sitting around shooting at small pixel ships and landing maybe 10 hits total.

:(

MikeC fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 7, 2016

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Hazdoc posted:

"Crossing the T" is questionably useful even in WW2 naval combat, since ships can turn their guns and don't need to be broadside to open fire. The tactic was a lot more important before radio allowed ships to coordinate their maneuvers better, and certainly vital during the age of sail. Since WoWS doesn't even have any downsides to a BB firing its superfiring turrets (in real life, it'd be quite terrifying to be in the A turret of a bow-on Iowa, for instance), this is taken to 11, with "Crossing the T" being a BAD idea, not a good one.

Crossing the T is always useful in direct fire engagements. Shell hit percentages were so low (1% region) that it simply made sense to mass as many guns as possible on the smallest part of the enemy formation before the rest could fire back. Crossing the T means explicitly removing a large part of the enemy force from being able to engage you while all of yours are able to engage the enemy. Crossing the T has no meaning once the rest of the enemy fleet manages to move into range (but that is really hard to do if you are the one getting caught). Your force would actively be maneuvering to keep most of your fleet out of range of the bulk of the enemy fleet.

Usually the only safe way for the enemy force to bring its guns online was to make a 90 degree turn as soon as humanly possible once you noticed you were being fired at, bring your own force parallel to his and slug it out or make a direct U turn to get the gently caress out dodge. You could I guess go the suicidal Nelson route and charge the enemy fleet in line formation and simply hope that you don't lose so many lead ships to make it an uneven fight but the chance of your battleline eating mass torpedo dumps from enemy escorts made it bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I am finding more and more as I learn this game (approach 550 battles) that having the team with the better DDs that know how to scout and cap and beat other DDs at this game is by far the most deterministic thing as to which side wins.

If you are in a BB or CA, you can rarely make up for terrible DDs screwing up early.