Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Did anyone confirm whether the pumps actually drain bodies of water in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I felt like on a workshop map I played that the terrain started being more prominent in this valley thing and then the water current changed at some point because of it but I might of not been paying attention and I been too lazy to load up the map over again to make sure.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What do y'all do with the starting intersection? I hate not having highways available to make it look good. Should I just ignore it until I get highways?

I loop a medium road in a slightly wide rectangular shape with the long sides on the east and west, and use the central area for the commercial district, upgrading the roads to be bigger later on

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I keep having to restart because I don;t really plan and everything looks like poo poo even though I'm making barrels of money.

I think I need to restart soon since my city looks like crap with non-parallel roads and power lines going loving everywhere.

I figure I'll dick around with this one a bit more and once I get a feel for what I should be doing I'll start over or just buy new land and let the starting piece be a testament to how bad it was when i started.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I feel it's a really good idea to just leave lots of huge gaps everywhere for highways and stuff later on.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Industry definitely needs a good highway system.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Industry definitely needs a good highway system.

On mine I have a highway offramp at one end on the industry area and a cargo train on the other and it seems to work ok enough. Avenues can handle the cross flow.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I think I need to restart soon since my city looks like crap with non-parallel roads and power lines going loving everywhere.

I figure I'll dick around with this one a bit more and once I get a feel for what I should be doing I'll start over or just buy new land and let the starting piece be a testament to how bad it was when i started.

just develop around where you have powerlines and eventually you can bulldoze the powerlines and make a little dosh from the returns, and the power will still travel between buildings. even if for some reason the areas around it don't zone properly, you can just build a park or a doctor's office or something for the sole purpose of keeping the electricity flowing. i literally have no electrical wires anywhere in my town of 44,000 right now bc i think they are horrible looking.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Can I play this on a lovely laptop

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

poo poo this game is so addictive. my town is named Twin Peaks and I really like coming up with district names for it

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

I named my town Cumord's Cove and I have dozens of districts to tie into this general theme such as "GLBT EXclusionary Zone, home to 17 dog parks and no industry whatsoever, "Rentboy Range" and "Slattern's End", "Butt Eater Square" which is modeled after china to be a coal and industry wasteland with no landvalue, "Jews" is a large collection of commercial and office buildings that constantly seem to complain about tax rates, and the "Concubine Graveyard" is an area that is almost too polluted to live in, but also had tons of level 3 housing that people still occupy

I think this game is p cool, but i also think that it could be a lot cooler. it still feels like its missing a bit of character, and i wish there were more disasters and quirky things you could do to gently caress with the town

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

i like the crowd of concerned parents and dogs staring in at the corpse while the castle still undulates in the wind

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I just realized the only way for my fire trucks to reach the residential zones is by going onto the freeway then exiting back into the city.

I think I need to start over and put more thought into my roads.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I think my problem with traffic was I was over thinking highways and trying to make elevated ones even though I live in New Zealand and we don't have them. I made regular normal human ones that are flat and started using the pre built intersections and I think my problems are solved.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I downloaded a badass intersection from the workshop that is a multitiered six way circle with 2 levels of 6 lane roads and a pedestrian path and I built it over a river. I like this game a lot, and I bet paradox adds good stuff in the coming months

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

They need to add subway to elevated/surface rail transitions and on-road light rail and subsurface road tunnels. Apparently I want to make a Boston but that's my wishlist anyway.

Oh and more venues for other sports, like an arena or a baseball park.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Jackie D posted:

Can I play this on a lovely laptop

I can

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

I named my town Cumord's Cove and I have dozens of districts to tie into this general theme such as "GLBT EXclusionary Zone, home to 17 dog parks and no industry whatsoever, "Rentboy Range" and "Slattern's End", "Butt Eater Square" which is modeled after china to be a coal and industry wasteland with no landvalue, "Jews" is a large collection of commercial and office buildings that constantly seem to complain about tax rates, and the "Concubine Graveyard" is an area that is almost too polluted to live in, but also had tons of level 3 housing that people still occupy

I think this game is p cool, but i also think that it could be a lot cooler. it still feels like its missing a bit of character, and i wish there were more disasters and quirky things you could do to gently caress with the town

This is one of the worst posts I ever seen about a game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Are the cities self contained or can I truly sperg out and do region stuff

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can sprawl however you want and designate districts with distinct taxation and policies.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

sorry if you're gonna make poo poo threads about poo poo games im gonna make poo poo posts is just the way of the world

Ten Dollars Wasted
Mar 9, 2015

sorry if you're gonna make poo poo threads about poo poo games im gonna make poo poo posts is just the way of the world

Hope you enjoy your "vacation", fucknut. :fuckoff: :commissar: :getout: :frogout:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
LMFAO get this guys, I named my Charizard "Bumlord".

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wormskull posted:

I didn't even see that post.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

gently caress off, bitch.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Also, Wormskull, you can drain rivers dry. If you put a pump below a dam it drains even faster.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Also, Wormskull, you can drain rivers dry. If you put a pump below a dam it drains even faster.

Yea I thought that was kind of neat. Never seen that in a city game.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Knuc U Kinte posted:

do the rivers fill back up

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Trying to play this makes me feel even more hideously stupid than usual and I don't really know why :(

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Really solid game for 30 bucks. Wish the music was better.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Trying to play this makes me feel even more hideously stupid than usual and I don't really know why :(

It's the traffic dude. Merging differently sized (in terms of number of lanes) roads together creates traffic lights and backs everything up.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

That's the secret to this game. Park all your industry by the initial interchange, and connect everything by a uniformly sized road that has few intersections.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Here's my city before I ruin it with a disgusting highway:

Traffic is almost perfect and I can't quite figure out why since I experimented with so much crap before this.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lmao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Corn-Obsessed New Zealand Man Found Dead From Starvation In Pile Of Hotwheels Tracks

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wormskull posted:

Corn-Obsessed New Zealand Man Found Dead From Starvation In Pile Of Hotwheels Tracks

Lol.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Welcome to Corn Beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I wish it had stuff from Sim City 2013 like the way roads can be paralleled and such.

• Locked thread