Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«160 »
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

PRETTY SURE THAT ONE'S SARCASM, BOSS

It's a spiritual sequel in that it builds on ideas and themes from Umineko but it doesn't really directly spoil anything (at least, not yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cropoval
Feb 16, 2020

John Lee posted:

Okay, kinda weird question: I've twice started Umineko with buddies, and both times they kind of waffled and half-assed and eventually stalled, despite really liking it. I've gotten about halfway through Chapter 7 years ago, but now one of them is coming back and is gonna start up again. Which is cool, but only partially relevant to the actual question: Is there anything in Ciconia that would spoil Umineko in any way? Vague discussion of characters, that sort of thing? Feel free to spoiler your answer.

The WTC fandom debates about this a good bit, but if each entry couldn't be read stand-alone, then a large chunk of the current WTC fandom wouldn't have read Umineko before Higurashi (or only Umineko).

I'd second No Wave in that there's something introduced early in Ciconia that is sort of following something that happens late in Umineko, and I know people who think it "spoils" Umineko in the sense that it would make Umineko easier to figure out, but I personally don't think it's enough to ruin anything (also, if you were halfway through EP7, you may already know it anyway). I do think it may make Higurashi a bit too easy to figure out, if only because new versions of characters in Higurashi show up in Ciconia in such a way that you'd probably be automatically suspicious of them if you read Higurashi after.

But all of this is pretty much splitting hairs. Every WTC entry is fundamentally its own thing and you're not explicitly spoiling anything.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Did anyone end up trying Death Come True?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Any opinion on Fatal Twelve?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Any opinion on Fatal Twelve?

There was some discussion about it a page or two ago. It's a generally well-executed death game story that feels a lot less mean-spirited and more optimistic than average for the genre, with a strong yuri subplot. One or two people complained about characters acting irrationally, but I generally found their actions understandable within the context of their characterization as long as you accept the story's premise that at heart, no matter what kind of person they seem like on the surface, most people are capable of sacrificing their lives for someone else; it's basically a story about what people are willing to live or die for.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Thuryl posted:

Off the top of my head, there's Ne no Kami, Sound of Drop, and The Shadows of Pygmalion (in more or less descending order of yuri intensity), although I'm pretty sure I've recommended all of those to you already anyway. They're all deeply discounted in the current Steam sale, though, so now's a good time to pick any of them up.

Part 3 of Ne no Kami when....

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Part 3 of Ne no Kami when....

Rather than a direct sequel, it's more likely that the dev will do a new story in the same setting with Len and co. as background characters, similar to how the Sacrament Sheep leads showed up as cameos in Ne no Kami.

Squiddycat
Jan 14, 2010

If you're afraid of dying, how can you live!?

Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Did anyone end up trying Death Come True?

I...didn't even realize this released. Definitely going to check it out and report back with Words. Thanks for letting me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Muv Luv Expo stream was alright. Main points were they announced that photonmelodies will be out by the end of July, The Day After is getting an English release, and they had some shots from TDA04.

«160 »