Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So I beat Robotic Notes Dash and I can't say I'm a big fan of it. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but its really awkward how they forced Daru into the story. It doesn't do a good job of justifying why a man in his 30s would be hanging out with a bunch of teenagers. Kaito also has problems. It makes sense that he would act more mature than what he was like in Robotic Notes; However, by making him more mature, he became a dull character. He doesn't really have that much of a personality anymore.

The game also doesn't really have a main plot until the very end. I do like a couple of routes (Subaru and Junna), but most of them aren't that good. I also feel like they had to ignore certain things from the first game in order to do some of the plot stuff they wanted. Considering Steins;Gate 0 had similar issues (to a lesser extent) I think the science adventure games have a real problem of lacking narrative focus in their sequels.

I also had multiple crashes while playing the game. There is also no mouse control (a recently released fan patch fixes this though), which is kind of ridiculous for a pc port release in 2020.

One positive thing is that they made it so the route no longer determined by arbitrary twipo replies.

I want to be clear that I don't think its terrible or anything. I just think it could have been better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Rockman Reserve posted:

Two random thoughts about the witch's epitaph:

-Does it have something to do with Kamogawa or another river in Kyoto?

-What was the inscription over Kuwadora or whatever that was in the picture with Kumasawa's son in Episode 4? It was something about a one a trillion chance or something, right?

I admit that my wife got annoyed with me scrawling down thoughts and theories and stuff and she looked up the epitaph, and told me something about in the Japanese text, the character 郷 should have been 京, which has opened up a few more avenues for thinking while still leaving me pretty lost. Kind of assuming it means in the second line referring to the Golden Land and not the first line, but even that I'm not sure of at all.

She's likely talking about how Golden Land uses 郷 (land, country) instead of 京 (capital) for "Kyou". It's used in two different ways in the epitaph. The first is its more consistent use, 黄金郷, Ougonkyou, or "Golden Land". The second is the other use, only used during the tenth twilight, where it's 黄金の郷, Ougon no Sato, the "Home of the Gold". What that means is up to you.

(Umi 5) As a reminder so you don't go banging your head against random walls forever, there are two points at which it is solved and more heavily discussed, during ep 3 and ep 5.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko Chapter three

Lol virgilus, she gonna lead me into hell then lol

Really feeling in my bones that the twist at the end of this is gonna be that Virgil is also a Beatrice
I'm loving chad battler though, he's finally doing what I would've been doing two games ago
Looking at this closed box I see several escape clauses. One Pretty sure Kinzo has always been dead, so that's one more on the island Alive to kill
It was mentioned that Maria was still tired, that's why she was sleeping on the couch, she probably made the red magic symbols
Three it says in the Tips section that Shannon isn't her real name, probably with Kanon too, thats a weasel way out but I expect nothing less from a false witch.
A trap!? They were all accidentally killed by giant mouse traps
Oh boy my boy using her devils proof bullshit against her, shes gonna end up trapping herself with all her red text shes using
OH gently caress HES SPINNG THE BOARD. FASTEN YOUR SEATBELTS
Okay that wasn't that great a suicide was obvious, coulda also went with poisoning.
Oh poo poo she can't repeat it, too bad Iknow I still got give EP's left or I'd think i'm making real progress
None of the Six Commited suicide. Doesn't preclude a natrual death

This epiteth poo poo is killing me. Y'know they ain't gonna get it. And it's gonna end up being some absolute bullshit Kanji trickery that would make NISOISN blush.
Oh boy anagrams WHOOOO this is what I signed up for.
Rudolf do not bully Natsuhi, she seems suprisingly decent
Oh my god these weak rear end people can't even go a day without eating, Jesus this makes me madder than anything else in the novel.

Beatrice vibing with me on how boring this epiteth is
Well Eva trying to solve the riddle is a bit more interesting, she's gonna solve it and die though I can feel it.
Whats with the bunker
Young eva straight up tells Eva that she is underestimating Rosa, and then she keeps doing it.
What a loving idiot.

Well Eva is having a mental break, and it looks like Rosa is gonna make a play

Okay there is now officially too many BEatrices in play, I'm calling this one Evatrice I guess. Also Berkanstel and the blonde withc are attending wonder if that means anything, Havent seen them out of the tea parties yet.
Kinda digging the portrait being replaced every time
Oh blondie is Lambdadelta Thats math. Lamda is cahnge ofver time Lambda is also a math thing Im sure that's importatn
"Its not like I wanted you to give me a cute name or anything, Baka"
Was it common to give kids sedatives in the eighties? Thats nonsense
Hideyoshi coming in and being a loving and supportive husband...and telling Eva exactly waht she shouldnt be hearing

Ph poo poo get insane maria's here
How can they get a tv signal in this rain, I don't remember how pre cable tv works

So Rosa saw Captive beatrice get her noggin split. I think I speculated that maybe she hadn't actually been dead but that's maybe gone out the window if it's true that people die when they are killed
However, beatrice makes a point that Battler and the teensquad are chilling watching tv. If we accept that everything the in world Battler doesn't see is merely an intertation of the results, maybe with a seed of truth in it. It could be a way to dismiss some of these strange happenings.
Okay let's follow this through theres the meta battler talking to beatrice, they exist at some point at the end of the rokkenjima disaster.
There's the chess piece Battler, his actions theoretically are constrained to the actual account of what happened becuase it represents the previous version of Metabattler
then everything outside his POV is a black box, once said box is discovered and explanation must be found. In general we've gotten two flavors a mundane version from Battler and a Magical one from Beatrice
Hopefully that explains my thought process adequately

Evatrice almost confirms that Beatrice is a title along with the golden witch, helping out my theory that there's been multiple beatrice's. Unfourtunatley my flaw in that is I need to start combining BEatrices or half the cast is gonna be a Beatrice clone by the end

Second twilight is tearing apart two who are close, beato is trying to get me to think it's rosa and Maria but we saw Eva and Hideyoshi leave, and them leaving dying in that room would be the same as they died on the first round. then if no one checks outside Maria and Rosa could've bit it way later like they did in round 2

Oh yeah Rosa doesn't seem to see that eva is now a teenager

Evatrice is letting out a lot of thoughts that sound like Captive beato thoughts, escaping their mansion. the island. and flying in the sky

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm about to hit 75 hours right at the end of chapter three. I swear if this poo poo doesn't have a happy ending I'm gonna be pissed

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

3’s ending is super happy, there is a big feast and everything

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just finished trial #4 of DR. Game is longer than I expected. I made it through 2.5 trials before I started trying to find a difficulty slider to switch to easy mode but couldn't find it. I don't really like the trial mechanics. They are more annoying than fun for me. So I just found a walkthrough and use that for the trials. Much much better this way. I can see how some people might like this but I don't think a VN really needs ... whatever this sort of gameplay is. Bad rhythm game and dumb quicktime events.

So far this game is extremely grim. I'm hoping it perks up at the end.

I have a feeling that we are all in some simulation of the tragedy that happened the year before.

I should finish tomorrow. Picked up a bunch of other VN crap during this Big in Japan sale.

Speaking of VNs. I can see how 999 series are VNs. It's just a book with a few puzzles thrown in. And DR is similar with a bit more stuff to do. But how are the AA games VNs? They are much more point and click adventures than anything else.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Just finished trial #4 of DR. Game is longer than I expected. I made it through 2.5 trials before I started trying to find a difficulty slider to switch to easy mode but couldn't find it.
Which version are you playing? I think the original release of the first game only let you change difficulty when starting the game from the main menu, but you could start from the beginning of any chapter when doing so. Later games and possibly rereleases let you change it in-game.

The trial gameplay is ultimately DR's attempt to stake out its own genre, which it has been mostly successful at. Personally I think it's a mixed bag; some amount of gameplay is definitely valuable to control pacing and to involve the player in the process of deduction, and the debates are an interesting way of doing that that feel very different from AA's classic cross-examination gameplay. On the other hand it's hard to justify Machinegun Talk Battles with anything other than "well, we need something that feels climactic here" - and they don't even do a great job of that. I think Closing Argument is badly implemented in the first game but from the second game onwards it feels much better.

Personally I play on Mean Logic/Gentle Action difficulty, which I think is a good balance for people coming to the series as a VN first and mostly makes the minigames a non-issue; players can always push up the action difficulty if it's feeling too easy.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Waltzing Along posted:

Speaking of VNs. I can see how 999 series are VNs. It's just a book with a few puzzles thrown in. And DR is similar with a bit more stuff to do. But how are the AA games VNs? They are much more point and click adventures than anything else.

As far as I can tell, Japanese audiences don't particularly think of the Ace Attorney games as VNs, but English-speaking audiences often tend to call any adventure game from Japan a VN. Even particularly text-heavy JRPGs get called VNs sometimes.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Thuryl posted:

As far as I can tell, Japanese audiences don't particularly think of the Ace Attorney games as VNs, but English-speaking audiences often tend to call any adventure game from Japan a VN. Even particularly text-heavy JRPGs get called VNs sometimes.

Also, they frequently lump what we would call visual novels in with adventure games as one genre.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry to keep coming to the thread with questions but is there anything in the first three episodes of Umineko to give an approximate location to the island of Rokkenjima. I've been rolling some stuff around in my head and I think it might answer some questions.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Sorry to keep coming to the thread with questions but is there anything in the first three episodes of Umineko to give an approximate location to the island of Rokkenjima. I've been rolling some stuff around in my head and I think it might answer some questions.

It's in the Izu archipelago and they take a boat from Niijima to get there, implying it's relatively close to that island in particular.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

drat I was hoping it was in Kyushu or off the Ryuukyuu islands. Hmm my theory might still work I guess.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Doing Something diffrent here. Still haven't beat Ch3 of Umineko but I had to get my thoughts in order before I felt I could finish the episode. What follows is the best I can make of the story from where I'm at.

EP3 Umineko spoilers
Okay I'm still not quite done with the third episode but I feel I can't continue without trying to get my ducks in a row, I'm honestly starting to feel the crunch of time trying to solve this drat game in one episode and change

Part I Recoinciling the Beatrices.
This is one that's really got me concerned, it's pretty drat clear that there's more than one physical being known as beatrice whose existed on the Island, but as I've spun my theories like webs so to have I created a completely untenable number of separate beatrices. In an effort to better understand the game I will now attempt to consolidate them down to a more manageable number. Let's start with the OG beatrice. Hearing from the adult cast Kinzo had a mistress, kept in the Kuwadorian, named beatrice. She is supposedly the originator of the bullion and the witch of legend her leaving Kinzo left him to try and recapture her, and eventually led to the events of the massacre at rokkenjima. There's the beatrice we've talked to as battler off the chess board. And the Kuwadorian Beatrices who seems captured by innocence when she met a younger Rosa. And then Evatrice and Virgila nee Beatrices.

After much thought I've come to the conclusion, tenatively, that there are two true beatrices.
1. Kinzo's mistress, She's exactly what it says on the tin. A woman who helped him acquire his gold and eventually died which led him to his grief. Now I don't believe that she's a witch cause y'know magic ain't real, rather she somehow helped him obtain the gold, then, probably because I love Chinatown too much, I believe she died giving birth to Kinzo's child. Kinzo in his grief tried to raise her to be exactly like her mother. which leads us to
2. Beato, the witch of the chessboard, and the child of Kinzo and Beatrice. She was raised by Kumasawa at the Kuwadorian, Kumasawa is obviously a representaiton of Virgilla and Vice versa. In her youth and young adult hood she was a rather innocent young woman confined to the palace. Until Rosa freed her. I'll have more on that in a later section. After her recieveing a first hand demonstartion of newtonian principals she leaves. Kinzo's whole reason for the family gathering is so he can see her one last time, and by her choice or his she acquieces and comes to Rokkenjima. After the event's her and Battler are the only people left, I previously thought that Maria also survived bothe becuase her faith in the Witch and becuase I don't like kids dying. Bu after her death in EP3 I'm not sold she's a survivor. After the events she corners Battler and is trying to get him to admit she is a witch. As for Evatrice I think she's just a representation of an Eva driven mad by greed who ends up trying to kill everyone.

Part II What we Talk about when we Talk about Umineko no Naku koro Ni
After three Episodes I've come to believe that I've discovered the correct way to interpret the events the game has laid out before me. There are three layer's a reality What actually happened, the world above the chessboard where Beato converses with Battler, and the various scenarios on the chessboard.
Discovering the "True" reality is the goal,supposedly, I'll have more on that later, as for now all we can really say is that a massacre happend at the family conference of the Ushiromiyas and battler was likely the only survivor. The world on the chessboard is Battler and Beato in the future describing scenarios that seemingly pertain to how the massacre at Rokkenjima happened. As they describe the magic in this universe and the way that it's a schrodingers box that could either have a supernatural or a mundane explantion. I realized you can also carry this forward to the seeting device of the game itself the game presents locked room mysterys and then asks "How could this be the case without the intervention of the supernaturaul". The entire game is this way. All we really know is that the Ushiromiya family died on those days, everything else is a mystery as to how it happened, thus each round Is another way in which the events could have happened. Now we have to ask ourselves if all of this is fake, how can we divine any information as to what is the Capitial T truth. What I believe is that because there is a defined endpoint each scenario must eventually lead to it, then working backwards the events must be built in small part of what actually happened in order to end in that true event. Thus much like the Locked room mysteries inside the rounds, which aren't necessarily true and yet contain truth in them, we also have to believe the rounds themselves contain truth in and of themselves. Sorting through these absurd and conflicting accounts is the true task in witch we are set.

Part III Broken Vases
I left out what happens to Kuwadorian Beato after her cliff diving excursion. This is a LOT more speculative, but as a central thesis I believe that this game is asking me to extrapolate a true meaning from representative events. And one thing that keeps happening to character's in this story is a fixation with using "Magic" to fix something immutably broken. Beato with her vase in the Kuwadorian, Evatrice with her goldfish bowl, Maria with her Rose. The very fact that it comes up so much means a hell of a lot, If Beato is the one telling all these stories to battler, it means it is a constant fixture in her mind. So why might this be. This is tied to Beato's discovery that fall is a verb as well as a season. Her fixation on this is because her as Kinzo's child actually escaped the Kuwadorian, probably with Rosa, and actually fell down the stairs splitting her noggin. Rosa in EP3 comments that her brains were spilling out. She was however a child so we can't know that her opinion that Beato is dead is accurate. I don't think it is, what happened is that Beato fell, rosa ran off, and when they discovered her missing at Kuwadorian, she did have servants, they sent out a party to find her. Eventually in secret Dr.Nanjo managed to get her brains back in her head, but taking a fall and having surgery like that left her scarred, metaphorically, and also she probably had a gently caress load of scars. Kinzo who was raising her in the image of the woman he fell in love with, her mother, was unable to see her as Beatrice any longer, as such he sent her away from Rokkenjima. It's only at the end of his life that he began to think of her again and tried to get her to return. Unrelated to this tale, the metaphor of the Vase breaking also applies to equally to Eva and Maria, as Kinzo's abuse of Beato resulted in her near death and permanent scarring, so to did this abuse result in scars on the psyche of Eva and Maria. Eva is driven by a mad desire to take control of the headship resulting from her fathers complete lack of love and dismissivness of her gender. Maria's are second hand but I doubt Rosa would be as abusive to her if she hadn't been raised in such an abusive environment herself.

Part IV There's Gold on them Islands!
Now we come to the part where I start massively speculate about the game. For all the adults who came to Rokkenjima for the conference there's but one gold, the massive pile of gold Kinzo is keeping on his island. How he came upon this gold is something that's only very, VERY tentatively been touched on in the novel, but I think I can make some wild speculation about it anyways. Obviously the Epiteht of the Witch, I think he calls it an epiteth because to him Beatrice died on those cliffs, is supposed to tell the location of the gold. Something that's borne fruit in the Third episode. Well I'm probably not touching that Cause I can't Copy paste the Japanese text into ZKanji so gently caress it. But how did he come across it? From what I remember of EP2 he became head of his family when his family died unexpectadly, He then acquired the gold and secured his postion within the family and within Japanese society. Without any real leads I thought for quite a bit about where a Japanese man could find such ill gotten gains. Then I remembered one possible way, of all places in my game shelf. Medal of Honor Rising Sun, great game fun Co-op, try Versus Welrod only. Anyways one mission involves Yamashita's gold. What is Yamashita's gold? So legend has it that Yamashita a general from the Japanese army in WWII managed to squirrel away an absolute shitton of looted gold from the various conquered people. Now if Kinzo managed to get a slice of this he probably wouldn't want MacArthur to get his mitts on it. Maybe he'd invent a story about a witch giving it to him. Obviously it wouldn't hold up to scrutiny, but as long as he isn't straight up admitting to have looted gold I'm sure the occupation forces aren't gonna look too hard at a bushiness man trying to help rebuild Japan. This brings me to more speculation, I asked in the thread where Rokkenjima was, helpfully Droyer said the Izu Islands, now this isn't where I wanted it to be. You see Yamashita's gold is supposedly buried in the phillipines, I was hoping that rokkenjima was near kyushu. That said it doesn't kill my theory. During WWII the Japanese shipping was absolutlye crippled by American naval interdiction, in order to move any supplies they resorted to moving them by submarine. Thank you Grey Hunter's War in the Pacfic thread for that, highly recommended. Rokkenjima is just a boat ride away from Tokyo, say the japanese wanted to get some of that bullion from the phillipines to tokyo to support their efforts, they land in rokkenjima an unassuming forested island likely to be overlooked by american bombers, unload it onto fishing boats and take it back to Tokyo. This is where Beatrice comes in, as Kinzo's mistress she must've been somehow aware of this transport and alerts Kinzo. They wait on the Island kill the crew when they land and take the gold, the Japanese write it off to american naval interdiction and kinzo buries it until the war ends. Then he creates the story of a witch giving it to him to both give Beatrice credit, and to obstufucate where it's true origin is. The original Beatrice must've been the daughter or perhaps mistress of someone high in the japanese army or navy. One thing I don't understand is her name, obviously symbolically we look towards the divine comedy, but if her name is actually Beatrice then she should be an italian or maybe french person? And kinzo's kids are all named after nazi's, except maybe Rosa whose name I don't recognize. I flirted with the idea that he somehow acquired Nazi gold, but why the hell would Nazi's be slipping gold halfway around the world when they're fighting for their lives in Stalingrad. Actual trade between the two was extremely limited.

Part V The Battler and the Beatrice
Now if there's one part of this game that I truly don't understand it's the realationship between Beato and Battler. At first it seems simple enough, they're playing a game. But during EP2 and 3 Beato is clearly drving at battler for a reason, and when he snaps at her she's incredibly hurt. Now normaly in most stories where someone is hurt I shrug it off as a part of the story but something about this resonated with me, she seems legitamelty hurt emotionally adding her melancholy over Battler's reactions over the scenes in the Kuwadorian. It's clear she is either in love or at least extremely fond of him. And furthermore is trying to show him these scenes of Rokkenjima to get him to both understand/remember the events and to emathize with her as a person. The question then becomes why? As far as we know Battler and Her never met before the Rokkenjima game started. Ive got two (bad) theories.
1. Lost childhood friend, did he also meet the witch on Rokkenjima like rosa did? I hate this not only is it cliched, but It doesn't line up with my assumption that Beato left the island after her meet and greet with Cliffy B. Battler has said Jackshit about his own life, he hid the drat fact that he had a sister for 2.8 episodes, and it doesn't seem important really, and the time frame is way off. Beato should be like twenty years older than him, and now as i'm typing this I'm realizing that either I've gotta make another new Beatrice or she's straight up trying to rob the cradle.
2. Recursion, One of the first thing's I noticed about battler and Kinzo is they're wearing the same suit, battler just doesn't have the cape thing. They also make more than a few comparisons between the two. They've brought up the idea of a Homonculus in regards to the furniture, but let's say it instead pertains to battler instead. The only books I've read with a homonculus are The Book of the New Sun, and Goethe's Faust. In both the homonculus is a smaller version of a human, representing them. Perhaps as Kinzo saw the massacre as another chance to see Beatrice, Beatrice saw this as her chance to start over with a new "Kinzo". The ritual of taking on the name of beatrice is created so she can regain the name she was given at birth, the family is killed, and only her and Battler/Kinzo are left with only the Island and the gold. Just as Kinzo and the Original Beatrice had before she died. I hate this theory too, more so now that I realize it makes Beato a pedophile. Is battler 18? I guess it's only extremely hosed up if he is instead of beyond the pale hosed up. I also Just don't think it fits all that well. As always I remain stupified about what Beato see's in battler.

Then we come to the second point, Beato seems to be doing this as more than a game. So what is her intention in creating these scenarios for Battler to watch. If you guessed I had two theories you'd be on the money.
1. The Roger Ackroyd Theory, I've posted before about the murder of roger ackroyd in the thread before, the gist of the novel is that the narrator is the one who commited the crime. Now how does this apply to battler, imagine Battler is forced to attend the family conference after the death of his mother despite him disowning his name years ago. In the process he discovers the Witch's riddle and realizes that there's a way he can escape his oppressive life forever. His family trapped by the storm he cuts power to the phones and begins killing his whole family so he can get access to the gold. After all is said and done he feels an immense amount of guilt and comes accross Beato. Her recognizing the amount of anguish he's in comes up with a way that absolves him of guilt for the murders, a witch did it. He however rejects this, so she's forced to make more and more outlandish claims as he get's closer and closer to realizing that he himself is the one with blood on his hands. This might also explain why she likes him, if she's kinzo's child she might've helped murder everyone. she certainly wouldn't feel bad about killing the family she hates, and she'd probably feel a close kinship with another person who was abandoned by the Ushiromiya name. But seeing him feel so guilty about it made her try to ameliorate his guilt by creating the witch scenario, him then rejecting it even though she's just trying to create a scenario where he can live happily without guilt is what drives her depression. Of course this realies on Battler either being amnesiac, witholding information, or just lying to us. On the other hand he also didn't let on he had a sister for quite awhile. I like parts of this theory, but I just can't see Battler bashing in say, Marias skull. It does however smash one of knox's rules, the violation of which the author seems very proud of. As an aside has anyone ever heard of Knox's rules before reading VN's. Despite reading my fair share of mystery as a yound man, I had never read about knox until I believe Nine hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors.
2. There's something other than just the massacre that Battler needs to realize. This one is very vague but oddly I think it's got more legs, the mystery not being the real mystery is a time honored tradition in mystery novels. And each episode seems to lead back farther and farther into the past and into more and more supposed interior thoughts of others. The drat question then becomes what is he supposed to take from all this. I've said before the most likely answer to the actual massacre is that the adults all ended up killing eachother over the gold, that's pretty drat likely. But what is battler supposed to take from all this. Is he suposed to realize he solved the riddle. That there was never gold. Was he the one who helped bust out Beato from Kuwadorian, I actually like this theory, yeah actually I like that a lot. It would really square up some loose ends for sure.I think I just convinced myself that he discovered Beato as a child and forgot about it after she got split, she was depressed he didn't remember their conversation. Even if she used Rosa as the chess piece. Man I was trying to only type up complete thoughts here and not live stream my thinking like usual but I like this idea. If he's the one who freed her of course she would want to save him from the massacre, but also be depressed that he doesn't remember her.

Part VI Seeing Double
18 People are supposed to be on Rokkenjima, discounting the fact that I believe Kinzo dead already I want to believe that there's only 18 people there. Not for any devils proof evil crow knox rules reason, becuase dammit that makes a better story. So if we have 18 people accounted for where does Beato come in. I nearly missed it but two pieces of very circumstancle evidence gave me the basis for my theory. Before that we have to make some rather crass observations. Beato is pretty well endowed, so If someone is pretending to be her it leaves us with only Kyrie, Eva, Rosa, and Shannon. Now I think the existence of Evatrice in a metaphorical way shows that Eva herself used the identity probably to murder Rosa and Maria after finding the gold. I think Rosa herself might've used the name BEatrice to placate her daughter. Kyrie I've got no clue. That leaves us with the prime Beato. Shannon. When Rosa/Battler first rescued Beato at kuwadorian where did she say she wanted to go, The sea, and to do what, to look at the fish and poo poo. Where dear readers is the place that George takes Shannon, The Aquarium. I nearly loving missed it entirely, then that poo poo hit me two days after I was done playing the section when I was making a pizza. Secondly when the Furniture is rushing to...somewhere I forgot where EP3 theres a line that Shannon's footsteps are making noise while Kanon and Genji's are not. Almost like she was just making up stories about them being there, then she confronts Beato and dies a long with the other furniture. If we look at it metaphorically though perhaps that's her saying gently caress it abandoning the servant persona and going full in on the murder plot. Helped out of course by the fact that the adults are already murdering eachother. This is real tenous but when I thin about it the more I like it. Why would a human being call themselves furniture? Maybe becuase they've been stripped of the name "Beatrice". The TIPS even points out that Shannon isn't her real name, it's like the author is yelling at us "Hey dumbass, Shannon ain't her name" The fight with Virgila in the Garden, represenative of Shannon killing one of the few people who took care of her. So the Theory would go she did her Wil E Coyote impression off the cliff, Kinzo took her old name and sent her to the orphanage where his servants come from, then she comes back years later as Shannon, unrecognized by everyone except I'm guessing Kumasawa her former maid at Kuwadorian. Now there's holes in this theory, Oh I was gonna say Beato reviving Shannon in Chp3 was a hole but if it's represenative of George bringing out her old personality then that might still work. George and Shannon themselves is a problem though. either
1. Shannon traded down from battler to George. This is like realizing your favorite restaurant is out of steak so you go outside and eat outta the trash,
2. All the scenes with George and Her are actually with Battler and her. Timeline is way off, if he was that close he'd probably also recognize Beato to be her as well
3. She has a legit split personality and Shannon likes George and Beato, Battler. I'm leaning towards this as I also think the fights between the furniture and Beato are her inner thoughts manifest. Although I also think Genji and Kanon are real so I don't know why she's imagining them.

Another issue is that her sprite in the game should be pretty scarred from the intercranial surgery she would've endured. However Hideyoshi when he see's Evatrice seems to just see Eva, as such I'm pretty sure since she's telling the story the sprites are an idealized form of herself and she's probably looking quite diffrent.

Part VII Tell me what the Numbers mean Battler!
The numbers on the Door eva finds, no goddamn clue. I tried looking at them in the mirror and upside down and they didn't appear to make a message. I don't think it's actually a birthday battler calling that out right away seems like a read herring. It might have to do with the witch riddle. I have no idea.

Part VIII Loose Ends
Gohda, No idea what his deal is. He made a dish with roses so he probably took Maria's rose, don't know why
George, I don't even know why I hate him so much. He just seems like a dickhead
The charm, and the Shrine. Obviously the Magic isn't real so I have no idea what the shrine is supposed to represent or the charm Natsuhi has.
Chiester Sisters, No clue I googled Chiester and promptly dove for the escape key when I saw all that came up was Uminkeo stuff,
Berkanstal and Blondie. I have less then zero Idea what the other witches in the Teas Party represent. I'm guessing the next one will explain more about them but also destroy every argument I've spent so much time typing on here.
Why do I think Kinzo is dead? Door is always locked no response, Natsuhi only sees him in EP1 after she has a terrible migrane, probably a psyche break, corpse is always burned to hide the rot, EP3 Beato kills him first representing her probably doing it before the family got there, which if Beato is shannon she'd have the chance to do.
Kyrie, she goes axcrazy for half a second in EP3 and is insanely jealous of Battler's mom, what exactly is her deal
Am I wrong or did Shannon bring battler cookies just like Beato makes for him?
Why can't they draw guns even with the pro sprites?
How exactly is the gold hidden, it seems like it's in some kind of bunker but how does solving the riddle lead you to it.
Ange. You're really just gonna bring up a sister seventy hours in. I don't even know what they're gonna do with a six year old. First I heard of her I immediatly figured she was Beato, that seems unlikely.

Scorpion seal on the door, Is that like the scorpion and frog tale?

I apologize for the formatting and Typos I am so tired right now

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

sirtommygunn posted:

I finished Raging Loop, had a good time with it, though I didn't like how the story basically switched genres in the final stretch. It's really weird how the moment the game raises its stakes to their peak it just stops taking itself seriously. In a single scene, it goes from trying to express the horror of experiencing death hundreds of times and how that would completely break a person to the protagonist getting murdered for the lulz 50 times and it has absolutely no effect on him. Then your guy decides its time to enter the final loop, making a plan based on half a dozen assumptions, any one of which being incorrect would have meant his plan was completely hosed. Even then, everything comes together through a series of impossible to predict coincidences and characters just kind of dropping any part of their personalities that would have gotten in the way.

Also the final confrontation sucked rear end. I'm sorry, it's just complete garbage that the way everything is wrapped up is by you basically walking up to the guy in charge and saying "hey, this is kind of hosed up" and the man going "wait, really? gently caress, everybody pack it in, we're good guys now". I have no idea why the mundane conspiracy was even included. It adds nothing and takes forever to explain a part of the story that didn't matter and was accepted as part of the premise. It doesn't feel right that the writing repeatedly forces the point that if its possible for something to be done by humans, it had to have been done by humans, in a story where there are at least 4 gods doing clearly supernatural poo poo.

Final note: please stop having adult characters lusting after teenagers.

Despite all of that I did enjoy it, complaining about things just comes more naturally to me than talking about the parts I liked (the first 2/3 of the story).

This is an old quote but (Raging Loop VN spoilers)

it isn't just that he tells the Kamifujioshi villagers "yo this is hosed", it's that he's telling them he used the myths that the villagers believed in to construct a new story which would have made it extremely unlikely for them to ever believe in doing the feast again.

Remember that this is basically the same way that the head families turn the villagers into murderers- since they all believe the local mythos to some extent, just a few simple tricks with fog machines and lights are enough to get them to think they've had a divine vision

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
Not sure if anyone else here backed it, but it was just announced on Kickstarter that the Vita version of Sharin no Kuni is cancelled. A refund process is allegedly being set up, but I imagine it will be as big a clusterfuck as the rest of the project has been especially if you're like me and recently cancelled the card you used to pay for it.

I'd post a link to the announcement, but you need to be a backer to read it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This is an old quote but (Raging Loop VN spoilers)

it isn't just that he tells the Kamifujioshi villagers "yo this is hosed", it's that he's telling them he used the myths that the villagers believed in to construct a new story which would have made it extremely unlikely for them to ever believe in doing the feast again.

Remember that this is basically the same way that the head families turn the villagers into murderers- since they all believe the local mythos to some extent, just a few simple tricks with fog machines and lights are enough to get them to think they've had a divine vision

My read of it was more They're committed to it, so at least the leadership on the ground has to stick with it to save face, particularly with the actual traditionalist heads of the head families, and that was giving them an out + a means to take power away from the old heads. Pretty much what you said, just with a little more agency to the individuals in question. I think your reading does apply to the 'footsoldiers' among the villagers.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Working on a particularly gruesome VN based on a comic about a real incident in WWII.

Just a peek.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Imagine how powerful Chris Angel, mindfreak, would be on rokkenjima...

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

It takes place in 86 so Criss would be pretty young, probably a dour kid who never smiles and is way too serious. That’s right, Criss is Kanon is canon.

e: i looked him up to make this joke and apparently Criss Angel is 53, the biggest mindfreak of them all

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 17, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Double posting because I have a question about Umineko (up through most of 6?) that I don't remember asking:

Is there some significance to the overall "outside" story that 3 and 4 (I think) and possibly 5 were actually "written" by Featherine? I'm not sure if I should take that as a hint, an example of the whole "if you know the truth you can arrange and play with it however you want" kind of thing 6 seems to be going for, or both.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It is relevant.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Thanks. I guess that makes some sense, since Eva survived in that world(?) so Featherine would incorporate that into her story.

(Umineko 6) The whole "love" thing increasingly seems to be used as an understanding between the author of a mystery and its readership, and the rules to make sure it's fair and enjoyable for the latter. With that in mind, it is increasingly frustrating that I can't figure out the freaking room trap.

E: okay, now that the cousin room windows are arbitrarily locked I'm at a total loss, and the game just outright saying "This will reveal the biggest secret of this tale..." has me thinking a million different things that get stopped dead in the face of Knox's decalogue.

e2: still not done but everything is :psyduck: as hell. it feels like I'm being slapped in the face with something but I'm a blindfolded idiot and can't figure out what it is.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 18, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I feel like a goddamn idiot.

Umineko Ep3 spoilers just to be safe
I mentioned before that I saw a amv with an anime that had a dude raising his crushes daughter to be his new wife. Finally remembered outta the blue what it was Eevee - hana, if you're interested, it's a bop, but I checked what anime it was. Motherfucking Genji Monogatari. If you're thinking wait doesn't that mean the tale of genji, AKA the first novel, and a literary touchstone that every japanese person studies in school you'd be goddamn right.

I was pretty sure Kinzo was raising his daughter to be his Consort before, but I was thinking of it like Chinatown. Instead the authors drawing off a tradition that predates modern Japanese

I am extremely confused how beatrice getting killed in the scenario is affecting her off the board

How the gently caress is Evatrice off the Board with Battler now

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 18, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Holy poo poo

"Get in your seat. Beato isn't my opponent. ....You are."

How is this so good

gently caress yes, Battler defeating Chiester's by telling them magic is fake bullshit

Watching Evatrice get destroyed is sooo cathartic

Battler is still a dense motherfucker, just tell Evatrice Kyrie was looking for the gold or someshit not for food

Battler is truly incompetent

Why did Beato have to save you, You're such a dumbfuck Battler

Love the reference to the murders of the Rue Morgue

Evatrice coming out hard with the Red text, even though Bnattler is gonna be a dumbass and not realize someone could've poisoned him

gently caress Evatrice for making me type all this red text, she dropped this long rear end thing about a culprit looking into Nanjo's eyes as they killed him. But didn't discount the poision theory at all

Ronove and Virgil have extremly low standard's if they think this is a check mate, Hideyoshi probably poisoned him when he was handing out coffee's that way nobody could look at the bodies and discover his wife was a murderer

Battler's ability to vacilate between total chad and brain dead moron continues to impress

If beato actually kills herself because battler is a worthless moron I'm gonna be real mad

Oh ho author gonna have Battler cover his ears. YOU DON'T THINK I UNDERSTAND, I GOT YOUR NUMBER DIPSHIT THE METAWORLD IS JUST ANOTHER GAMEBOARD, HOW CONVEINT HE COVERS HIS EARS. YOU THINK I DON'T SEE WHAT YOU'RE DOING. WHAT A FOOL

He praised the golden witch and she revived, absolute fantastic. you got me author I got too caught up and you hit me with this absolute beautiful scence

I'm being tricked aren't I
This is some fake

Stop galling for it you fool
DENY MAGIC

DONT SIGN IT YOU MORON

bATTLER YOU IDIOT

tHIS MUST BE ANGE SHE'S GOT THE USHIROMIYA SEAL

Stop playing with my heart like this Beato

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 18, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

EP3 Umineko Post Game

one question Is the author of Umineko Wheelchair bound?
Cause I don't know how he manages to walk around with the loving balls he has to loving call out the Sun and Wind strategy so blatantly and then lure you into believing it with the entire 3 episode.

not gonna lie I had it in the back of my mind the whole time, Virgil leads you through hell not into heaven in the Comedy after all, I do think there's a lot of truth to that beatrice though, One cannot act that well without a fragment of truth to back it up.

I can say I've never been as frustrated with a protagonist in a VN since Takeru in the Unlimited, Battler has these moments where he seems to understand and be incredibly competent, but his character flaw of immediatly falling to the weakest forces is pathetic. I could've thought of a dozen ways to defeat Evatrice at the end. Poison being the most obvious. It was a great ending but goddamn I hope battler get's his poo poo together

Ange hasn't actually said her name but it's obviously her, weirdly enough her sprite is one of three actual spoiler's I've seen. When I started the first EP I only knew of the RED TEXT and of a sort of general idea of the metaworld, I also saw a bunch of other what I think are witch sprites but they might be from Higurashi or they might be Touhou characters I'm not exactly sure. Anyways but just a couple days ago I went to go Buy the BEatrice Emoji at the steam point store and of course here's this twintailed readhead staring at me.

It seems Ange is a character sent by Berkanstel, I probably should've paid attention to the first two tea parties more cause I have no Idea what her or Blondies motivation are. Hopefully she's less incompetent than Battler.

I do have some serious questions about the structure of this novel but I'm gonna save them for later I think

Lol Lambdadetla is just the players who Ctrl through half the game not paying attention

Blondie calling out Beato, I love it. It's been clear for awhile she doesn't actually want to win, otherwise she would've continued her act when ange bust in

Okay this ???? Tea party is a trip, So Eva was in fact the Winner and only survivor. Battler had to have survived though otherwise how does the framing device work.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 18, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I can say I've never been as frustrated with a protagonist in a VN since Takeru in the Unlimited, Battler has these moments where he seems to understand and be incredibly competent, but his character flaw of immediatly falling to the weakest forces is pathetic. I could've thought of a dozen ways to defeat Evatrice at the end. Poison being the most obvious. It was a great ending but goddamn I hope battler get's his poo poo together

That doesn't work. Nanjo's death was a homicide. ...Of course, it was with a direct method of murder, not a trap. A weapon was readied, and he was killed with it from point-blank range in front of him! The culprit appeared openly before Nanjo's eyes, and as they both looked at each other's faces, the culprit killed him

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That doesn't work. Nanjo's death was a homicide. ...Of course, it was with a direct method of murder, not a trap. A weapon was readied, and he was killed with it from point-blank range in front of him! The culprit appeared openly before Nanjo's eyes, and as they both looked at each other's faces, the culprit killed him

You stopped me in my tracks from reading for almost 2 hours while I rolled it around in my mind. I had assumed that them hideyoshi poisoning Nanjo didn't technically violate the rules of the Red text as long as he handed him the cup of coffee while he was looking at him.

Weirdly the Red text says Jessica and Nanjo were in the Servants room while the crime happened which is inconsistent with him being murdered in the hall way. Since Jessie,Eva, and Battler couldn't have killed him I've only got one choice

Shannon being killed at the first twilight must've been a fake. That's why she metaphorically revived to see george, abandoning for a minute her Beatrice persona. I'd thought that all the Chiester kills were just Eva going apeshit, but even if she saw him with a servant her killing him doesn't seem consistent with how she acted on the hospital bed with Ange. So Shannon must've killed George and then in doing so her Shannon persona was considered dead and she became fully Beatrice again. Then she killed Nanjo in the room, he freaked out cause she was supposed to be dead. I kept thinking wait how did kanon come back and guide Jessie out. He didn't have to, we never even saw Jessica die, only battler at the very end. So Eva probably killed Jessica and Shannon when she returned blaming them both for killing Nanjo, Theoretically her shooting Battler in the heart at the end must be true, but if Ange has a chance to bring him back I'm guessing he must've survived the massacre somehow. So only Eva and Battler survived and Battler just hosed off somewhere. I don't really understand how. The idea of rokkenjima as a sort of Liminal space is really loving with my head.

Edit: The TIPS make it even more confusing, Jessica is listed as missing, but Battler is listed as dead

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 18, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

That reveal at the end of the new episode of Higurashi GOU :psyduck:

e: this is probably specifically for Nate RFB but anyone else keeping up with it and this thread feel free to answer: I should probably hold off on keeping up with it for a while, yeah?

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 18, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Has it touched on Umineko now? I stopped watching a couple episodes ago to wait and find out if something like that happened.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I won't be able to answer that without the ability to time travel and see where it goes with it.

However my purely speculative opinion is that it will likely be more for fun rather than particularly substantive or revelatory/spoilery.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

ha, fair enough

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

gently caress me, just finished episode 6 and the last two pre-tea-party lines make me want to go back to 1 and reread everything. Clearly I missed something.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Rockman Reserve posted:

gently caress me, just finished episode 6 and the last two pre-tea-party lines make me want to go back to 1 and reread everything. Clearly I missed something.

everyone's posts this week are making me want to go back and re-read everything

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Rockman Reserve posted:

I don't think you'd be wasting your time - you're at a point where you might be able to make sense of it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

No Wave posted:

I don't think you'd be wasting your time - you're at a point where you might be able to make sense of it.

I'm probably just going to load it up to auto play on another monitor while I work over the next week or three. Does anyone know of a mod that increases the auto-advance speed? Even on the fastest setting it kind of crawls.

Plus, I've been wanting to get a screenshot of Battler saying "spin the chessboard!" for a while so I might as well dig back through it anyway.

e: some super quick random thoughts on episode 6 before I get sucked into a busy day, more coherent thoughts likely to come later:

The biggest question I have right now is how Erika's final bullet, her self-introduction, is meant to be an attack at all. "Hello, I'm Erika Furudo, the detective. I'm the 18th person on the island." ...uh, isn't that literally what the text of the story has been saying the whole time? I feel like I need to be missing something important because I can't figure out what her angle is there at all. Battler and Beato's response makes me think that Battler isn't really there, or isn't Human in some demonstrable way - after all, he does continually show up in ??????, the Tea Party for those who are not Human, for whatever that's worth. gently caress, maybe Kanon and Shannon are conjoined twins or something and they're playing with Erika's late-game insistence on defining one human as one body, I don't even know.

The scene with the wedding ring was a bit loving much, 07.

I used to play a few online nomics, and one of the biggest around was often described as "playing tag with hand grenades of twisted logic." That's the itch that Umineko is scratching for me.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 19, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
At a high level, what were some of the major plot beats of EP6 specifically? If you were to attempt a Venn diagram of those elements with what you remember from the previous EPs, what might be some common threads you could possibly see?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

At a high level, what were some of the major plot beats of EP6 specifically? If you were to attempt a Venn diagram of those elements with what you remember from the previous EPs, what might be some common threads you could possibly see?

.....w.....witches? :sweatdrop:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

e: some super quick random thoughts on episode 6 before I get sucked into a busy day, more coherent thoughts likely to come later:

The biggest question I have right now is how Erika's final bullet, her self-introduction, is meant to be an attack at all. "Hello, I'm Erika Furudo, the detective. I'm the 18th person on the island." ...uh, isn't that literally what the text of the story has been saying the whole time? I feel like I need to be missing something important because I can't figure out what her angle is there at all.
I think it's intended to be defensive? The prose leading up to that line says that her existence is being denied by her previous wound, and she's trying to confirm that she definitely does exist.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

.....w.....witches? :sweatdrop:

Witches ain't real my dude.

If your going back to ep.1 I think I've got most of it figured out. I kept thinking why the hell would gods cook up maria's rose. the only conclusion I could come to was that he did it to lure maria into the garden for her meeting with beatrice. If we assume Shannon is playing beatrice and faked her death almost the entire puzzle becomes moot. without red text to confine us, and if we assume if gouda and Shannon are both in in it, we can assume the rest of the servants are as well. half the alibis stop meaning anything and we have four characters walking around with master keys. I had also assumed that there was only one gun on rokkenjina seeing as natsuhi only acquired one. but after ep 3 we know there's at least four. the servants must've taken the rest and used them to kill the people with the storm noises as cover, before staking them. someone left the door open to the furnace room while they cut the phone lines. while they cut the phone lines. The game tried to throw is off suspecting the servants by having natsuhi say she suspects them, but the truth is she was on the money.

This is probably all wrong though because u haven't read that part in months and barely remember it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CaptainRat posted:

Chaos;Child - I deeply appreciate this game's commitment to finding different flavors of complete emotional devastation for all the character routes thus far.

Which character routes have you done? I know which one was the most upsetting for me, but I don't want to comment on one you haven't done yet.