Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Goddamn, Gnosia's a bad game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

girl dick energy posted:

no

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
gnosia is great. good art, some neat music, cool characters. and this is before you get into what is a nifty and experimental framework that pretty much executes it as well as it could. theoretically a version with more variants of dialogue could possibly work better. but that would change up the feel of the game drastically since a lack of variety of dialogue goes a long way to giving it the puzzle feel and would end up feeling like a different type of game.

e: and when stuff changes up it ends up having more impact since the dialogue is so typically rote. game works

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 22, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

Playing through Rewrite+ and it’s the quickest I’ve been hooked on a Key game. Intriguing plot elements start happening very early into the game, and there’s less SOL moments. Seems more plot driven than their others.

Also the protagonist is a bit of a smart rear end and can be hilarious at times.

Edit: finished the common route. Man this is way different than other Key games. Really digging it.

I'm a big fan of Rewrite, even though it can be a little overambitious at times. It's the only Key game I've enjoyed (though I haven't tried "Little Busters"). The routes are mostly written by different authors (I think a couple might be written by the same one) so there's some inconsistency between them, but I personally like the variety. IIRC the Lucia one is written by Ryukishi07.

The common route is really funny.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

girl dick energy posted:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

girl dick energy posted:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The actual werewolf-game mechanics are definitely the weakest part of Gnosia, tbf. The devs do about the best job possible of making a social deduction game with AI players work, but the characters and overarching story are what make it worthwhile; there's not enough meat to the game that I'd want to do extra rounds for fun after finishing the story.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm a big fan of Rewrite, even though it can be a little overambitious at times. It's the only Key game I've enjoyed (though I haven't tried "Little Busters"). The routes are mostly written by different authors (I think a couple might be written by the same one) so there's some inconsistency between them, but I personally like the variety. IIRC the Lucia one is written by Ryukishi07.

The common route is really funny.

Yeah, he did Lucia's route, and you can kinda see his personal trademarks in it (starting with the fact that all the lines of text in her route are like twice as long as every other route on average). Compared to the other routes, it does feel a little bit like he was given a document detailing the game's characters and setting and then left to do whatever he wanted, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Gnosia is a brilliant unique game. The simplicity and repetition make it so easy to find all sorts of small tells and repeated behaviours much in the same way as if you have a regular game of Werewolf with friends.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Having heard arguments about the game's merits from two different threads, including a lot of very reasonable points, I acquiesce. Let me rephrase.

Goddamn, Gnosia is not a game for me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I thought the actual mechanics got way too easy and repetitive and getting the final few things to unlock was not especially enjoyable

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I absolutely adored Gnosia and I wish I could forget everything about it and play it fresh again

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Gnosia is good, but info unlock grinding was hell.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
gnosia is good but it's very easy tho

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hey VN thread, anyone up to play a new, horror-themed VN that you may have not played yet? I have a spare copy of Spirit Hunter: Death Mark, free for anyone who will actually play it and maybe give it a small review here or whatever. Any taker? If you don't have PMs post your Steam profile and I'll message you there.

Nevermind.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 24, 2022

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I don't know anything about it but this portion of a steam review gives me redflags

quote:

When I saw the warnings for the game having sexual themes and nudity, I didn't expect it to be as bad as it was in context. I can deal with nakedness, ghosts, and naked ghosts, but what I got was fully rendered CGs of women being in sexual poses, undressed, while being mutilated by thorns or drilled with holes. It was incredibly uncomfortable, and not in the fun way horror media likes to provoke. I felt grossed out by the fanservice-y way these female characters were depicted, especially the underage teenage schoolgirl. Maybe if it had happened once, I could have brushed it off as a way to be deliberately shocking by juxtaposing sex and horror, but it became clear that this was going to be a recurring theme. Naturally, male characters never received the same treatment.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'd take it, IF it was a PSN version (laptop is a toss-up as to whether it will run)! I often don't mind engaging with media that contains some pretty...horrific content, so the above would be a ":stare: Good to know!" thing, rather than a complete deterrent for me.

(To be clear, I also love some wholesome-rear end media, too! :kiddo: I just played Unpacking and it was lovely.)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

MegaZeroX posted:

I don't know anything about it but this portion of a steam review gives me redflags

Uh, it's been like two years since I played, but I don't remember anything that lovely. But apparently the console version is censored in comparison and that's the one I played, so I'll trust this review. Nevermind, then.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's definitely on the 'eroguro' side of things but it's not as constant as that review makes it out to be. On the other hand I played the PS4 version that had some stuff cut out so

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
yeah, I was just talking about death mark last page. it's exactly as bad about that stuff as the review implies, which is a shame because it could have been really cool otherwise :smith:

Read After Burning posted:

(To be clear, I also love some wholesome-rear end media, too! :kiddo: I just played Unpacking and it was lovely.)

I also finished Unpacking recently and it was excellent. Very sweet game, made me cry. Now I'm plinking away at dark star mode :getin:

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Its been a year since I played Death Mark, but the steam version does have three or four CGs where female characters are being attacked while naked. It's not omnipresent throughout the story, but it is super jarring and out of place when it does happen. When it happens to the female companions, they brush it off afterwards like nothing happens, so its really easy to see how the PS4 version cut them out entirely.

The sequel to Death Mark, Spirit Hunter: NG, is much better about this in that there are none of these scenes (at least, iirc). There is some sickening body horror, but nothing titillating like in Death Mark.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

DemoneeHo posted:

The sequel to Death Mark, Spirit Hunter: NG, is much better about this in that there are none of these scenes (at least, iirc).

That's a relief, actually. I got a cheap bundle (at Fanatical) with both NG and Death Mark because I wanted to play NG, since I had good memories of Death Mark but hadn't found a cheap copy of NG on the PS4, and I was feeling deflated like I had just wasted my money in more "uncensored" titillation garbage that wouldn't even fit the tone of the game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Does anyone have a Steam Deck, and if so, how does it work with visual novels? I'd assume the small screen wouldn't be too much of an issue since most of them have pretty big text, it would be rad to be able to read some of this stuff comfortably in bed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

Does anyone have a Steam Deck, and if so, how does it work with visual novels? I'd assume the small screen wouldn't be too much of an issue since most of them have pretty big text, it would be rad to be able to read some of this stuff comfortably in bed.

I assume it's fine, I never had any trouble reading VNs on the DS or PSP or Vita or Switch and those all have smaller screens

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
Limited Run are doing a physical release of a pair of Yumeutsutsu games - has anyone got any opinons on these? I'm always looking to waste money on physical switch games.

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/all-games/products/yumeutsutsu-re-master-re-after-switch

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Depends how you feel about the main romance being literal incest I guess

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
Perhaps I shall find a different way to waste my money on switch games.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lord Bob posted:

Perhaps I shall find a different way to waste my money on switch games.

Type Moon is releasing an updated version of Witch on the Holy Night later this year and it will have English as an option. I have no idea if it's a good VN, though...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I've still only done two routes in Re:master and they were nice. The sister is the absolute most boring choice compared to the other three, also.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Ornamented Death posted:

Type Moon is releasing an updated version of Witch on the Holy Night later this year and it will have English as an option. I have no idea if it's a good VN, though...

I’ve read comments from quite a few people who think it’s Nasu’s best written novel.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Key's new Visual Novel, Loopers is out, written by Ryukishi07

https://www.siliconera.com/keys-loopers-visual-novel-debuts-in-switch-eshop-worldwide/

quote:

People won’t need to head to a foreign Nintendo Switch eShop to get Key’s visual novel Loopers. Now that the shop update is live, it is available both inside and outside Japan. People could pick it up, with English, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese localizations, immediately. It costs $24.99.

As the name suggests, Loopers is Key’s visual novel about a Groundhog Day-like time loop. Written by 07th Expansion’s Ryukishi07, who is behind the When They Cry series, it features a group of geohunting individuals who get stuck in a Temporal Spiral. Once inside, all the people reliving August 1st are Loopers attempting to break the cycle. As you go through it, you’ll watch and see if people can solve the mystery and break free.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Ryukishi doing a time loop story? I'm in, despite my disappointment over new Higurashi.

I predict he will use the phrase "catbox" 2,578,917 times.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Man, for real? I am unreasonably excited about time loop mysteries. Give me all of the hot time loop garbage, just shovel it right into my mouth. Is Ryukishi the only writer on this one? Anyone got any opinions on this company's previous VNs?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Man, for real? I am unreasonably excited about time loop mysteries. Give me all of the hot time loop garbage, just shovel it right into my mouth. Is Ryukishi the only writer on this one? Anyone got any opinions on this company's previous VNs?

Yea he's the only writer.

Developer is Key, of Clannad, Little Busters and Rewrite fame. Which are some of the most acclaimed VNs ever.

Last time Ryukishi07 collaborated with Key was on Rewrite, for Lucia's route (which was excellent, rushed romance aside).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pretty short too, around an 8 hour read. Not that it's a bad thing frankly.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

:yeah: :same: times a hundred. I am the biggest sucker for time loop media (although I was warned away from trying 12 Minutes).

Absolutely grabbing this later today.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Higurashi Rei translation dropped on Steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1941110/Higurashi_When_They_Cry_Hou__Rei/

Which, if I'm correct, means all of Higurashi is now officially translated and available on Steam.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 3, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Side story?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah, it's non-essential side stories and epilogues.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If it's like the anime there's a pretty substantial epilogue chapter that does some bridging with Umineko, and two much less serious ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Substantial is a bit of a stretch, Saikoroshi is maybe 2 hours long tops. It's interesting enough to probably be worth reading after the 8 main chapters but I don't want to overstate its overall impact and placement in the WTC-verse. I'd argue especially now where most of the Higurashi/Umineko threads have been exhausted in other media (badly for the most part IMO) it feels close to being as superfluous as the rest of the post-finale Higurashi chapters to me.