Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I just finished it, I'd say it's definitely worth reading if you liked the first one.

I don't have much else to add beyond what everyone else has already mentioned, but the one thing that I found strange that hasn't been mentioned yet was why they never really expanded on the "new encephalitis" thing at all. It seems like a it would be a big deal that a bunch of people are mass experiencing other worldlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I think in the Steam version it doesn't give you the trigger the first time through. I just played it last month, but I guess I might be misremembering. After the first playthrough it will pause on all the phone messages in skip mode as long as you have the option enabled.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The Meakashi ps3 voice + graphics patch is out https://github.com/07th-mod/meakashi/releases

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Nate RFB posted:

The "official" reason is stated in the Meakashi end credit roll (these in general are worth reading carefully throughout the series for each chapter they are in for subtle clues).

food court bailiff posted:

Huh? After the final scene of Shion's dream of an ideal school day if she'd accepted Satoko the game just tosses "A Happy Diary" and "Disowned" TIPS at me and shunts me back to the title screen.

Apparently the end credits roll is missing if you use the voice/ps sprites patch (it might also be missing in a standard steam install too?). It will be fixed in the next patch release.

(https://github.com/07th-mod/meakashi/issues/5)
e: it's already fixed in master, so if you are familiar with git/github you can just download the 3 files you need now.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 12, 2017

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Nate RFB posted:

After installing this new update, for me at least it goes into the sequence at the end of Epilogue 2 ("you" starts playing) but stays on a black screen the whole duration and never actually plays the credits.

Looks like the file endroll_staff5.txt needs to be renamed to &endroll_staff5.txt

https://github.com/07th-mod/meakashi/commit/3b985b54b297493d84d0044bc9bf63d6d0159c26#commitcomment-22115574

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Stexils posted:

i know 0 about any of these VNs in the humble other than root double, which i already own and read. can someone give their impressions?

Fault is really good, but just be aware that it's episodic and only the first 2 parts (out of 4) are done. Each milestone has it's own self-contained subplot but there's cliffhanger-ish stuff with regard to the overall story. World End Economica is also good but it would help if you are at least somewhat interested in economics to enjoy it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

FractalSandwich posted:

I didn't know it's planned to actually end. That's a relief. I got a bit worried when the second game started introducing a bunch of new characters and doing nothing with them, just to set up stories that don't exist yet. It was giving me Wheel of Time flashbacks.

I guess it's not confirmed that the 4th part would be the official end, but the Japanese group that makes them hasn't said anything about any potential chapters that would come after part 4.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

steins gate 0 question:

am i going to miss anything if i wait until i have whatever unlocks the true ending to do the vega and altair route?

No, it's fine to do that. The true ending starts after the vega and altair end sequence so you won't miss anything.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

IceBorg posted:

Speaking of releases does anyone have a clue when the perfect edition of Little Busters will be released?

It was originally slated for a summer release it got pushed back to some time this fall.

https://www.facebook.com/VisualArtsUSA/posts/1859488091036011

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

theblackw0lf posted:

Also has anyone tried Wonderful Everyday? It's really high up in the Visual Novel Database. (where it's listed as Subarashiki Hibi)

SubaHibi is not all-ages.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The mysteries in 3 are better than the first 2 games, and none of them really have any illogical twists at the end. But yeah, if you didn't like 1 and 2, I don't think you will like 3, regardless of the new continuity stuff.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The steam release of Little Busters has an official release date now, November 1.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I'd say just try DR1 without a guide. There's a post-game mode that will let you see whatever free time events you might miss during your actual playthrough of the game.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I think it's the best of the 3, but I also liked the ending a lot.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Little Busters! is out on steam, it's on sale for the first week

http://store.steampowered.com/app/635940/

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Little Busters is really great. I still have to do the new(er) EX routes, but I just finished Refrain. Definitely think it's the best Key thing I've read or watched, and I I'd probably put it near the top of my list of favorite vn's.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Umineko 5-8 is out

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
There’s nothing besides the steam achievement. And you can get it by just using the skip function for the entire thing.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Just be aware that IMHHW is very generic slice of life. If you enjoy slice of life stuff it's decent enough.

e: but yeah if you want the 5 Higurashi chapters on steam, $10 is already a pretty good deal without the rest of the bundle.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Umineko 5-8 voice+PS3 sprites patch is finally out: https://github.com/07th-mod/umineko-answer/releases/tag/v1.0.0

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Irritated Goat posted:

After I finish Muv Luv Alternative, I think I need a break from super epic stuff :smith: It's just daunting. Since I started reading VNs again, I've knocked out F\SN, Muv Luv, Umineko Chiru, Fata Morgana, We know the Devil, Analogue, Don't take it personally babe, Planetarian, DDLC, Higurashi ch 1.

Yeah. I think it's time to read some smaller stuff before I start on Root Double, Fate\Ataraxia, Never 7, World End Economica, Fault..

Compared to what you've been reading I'd say both World End Economica and Fault are much lighter fare than the rest of your list. Also, the individual chapters are relatively short and self-contained for both VNs, so there's no real pressure to burn through the entire thing at once.

e: as far as my VN backlog goes I'm still only an hour into the umineko answer arcs because I was waiting for the voice patch to be stable and then trails of cold steel 2 released :negative:

astr0man fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 9, 2018

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yes

What I usually do is just read through something once or maybe twice making the choices I want to make and then just refer to a guide for everything else.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Sounds like they just ported over all the English content from the Steam release then. It's kind of weird that they are doing the PS4 release, its 2018, hasn't anyone remotely interested in Clannad probably read it by now? I guess the 1080p art is the biggest selling point.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The consensus in this thread on SG0 generally seems to be that it is an average to decent VN at best, and that it doesn't really have any point to existing because of how it's structured. Once you finish SG, you will also pretty much know exactly how SG0 is going to go, since 0 isn't a true sequel, and nothing particularly new or surprising happens.

fwiw I think if you like Stein's Gate a lot and just want more stuff with the SG characters then it's worth reading 0, and I personally enjoyed it. But all of the criticisms about it are 100% correct.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
There's an old english release of the full 8 chapters that you might be able to find, but I think the translation quality is supposed to be not good, especially compared to the current steam release. The company doing the re-translation and steam releases (mangagamer) is kind of slow, but now that they are done with all of Umineko (another VN by the same people as Higurashi), the rest of the Higurashi answer arcs might get released on a faster schedule then before.

And while you are waiting for the rest of the Higurashi answer arcs, you can just read Umineko too (all 8 chapters for it are released on steam).

Also, there are voice patches for both games that adds the japanese voice acting and replaces the steam sprites with the PS3 sprites that you might be interested in.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
If you like Key's stuff you should definitely read Little Busters

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I've finally got the time to work through the Umineko answer arcs, just finished the Ch7 tea party. I love that even after it seems like everything is coming together and winding down, the ride still keeps getting crazier.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
If you are having issues with their unified installer, you could try just doing installing the voice only patches manually: https://github.com/07th-mod/guide/wiki/Higurashi-Part-1.1---Voices-only-Patch

I know their installer is really only tested with the steam releases, your problem might be related to this:

quote:

[Onikakushi only] I have the MangaGamer version of the game and the patch doesn't work!

That is because MangaGamer is selling an outdated version of the game that was made in Unity 4. All Steam versions use Unity 5, and they are not compatible with older versions of the engine. Our patch currently uses advanced changes to the code to add new features that are impossible to run in the MangaGamer version. Because of that, the full patch will not work. With that in mind, the only thing you can currently do is to play the game with voices only.
I'm assuming that GOG probably uses the same non-drm version as mangagamer?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

This is literally just trying to play it on a PC through Steam at this point, no sound when I try either of my two machines, even after reinstalling on one of them. It has to be some kinda funky setting for something in Steam but I can't find any settings that would deal with it at all.

It's not this is it? https://steamcommunity.com/app/639490/discussions/0/3020122487772736533/

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

I didn't save my game or anything after the problem started, it seems like it would be super weird for the game to store optional config stuff like that in a secret ~hidden save~ or whatever that Steam is picking up from the cloud....although I'm pretty sure the Umineko releases are pretty gnarly under the hood so who knows.

Yeah, it's just one of the weird quirks with the umineko steam releases. Because of how the game's save files work, system settings are stored alongside with your actual game saves, so all of the obscure system settings end up in the steam cloud, even the things that don't really belong there.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
If you want to read a Key slice of life/drama VN read Little Busters over Clannad imo

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Chaos;Child is coming to Steam next week: https://store.steampowered.com/app/970570/CHAOSCHILD/

This is one of the good ones. The middle routes are sorta ho-hum but the first route and the true route are fantastic, easily in the same league as Steins;Gate

I picked this up and just got the first ending. It's been good so far, thanks for recommending it. I was originally planning on avoiding it since I'd heard bad things about Chaos;Head and assumed it was more of the same. The only science adventure series stuff I've read is S;G and S;G0 so I can't comment on how it compares to C;H, but at the very least, the pacing for the first route seemed a lot better than the pacing for the first half of S;G.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I finished Chaos;Child. I thought it was good and certainly scratched my pseudo-science/SF VN itch, but not really close to the level of Steins;Gate good.

klapman posted:

Still confused as to why they didn't have the alternative routes take place during the sensory deprivation sequence. It seemed like such an obvious place for it to me! As is they just feel bizarre and nonsensical. Arimura's in particular is bad because everything that happens in it is sparked by Hana's delusion, and I went for Arimura's first so I was completely lost.

With how the story is structured, I don't understand why the other endings need to be seen before the True Ending unlocks. Usually there's a justification behind it, but honestly from what I recall everything past the common route ending is just ??? tier. Even the common route ending doesn't make sense, given that the true route is in complete contradiction to it.

The route structuring just seems like they were trying to follow the standard "complete everything else before you can access the final ending" VN formula. At the very least, I guess it makes sense for Nono's to be mandatory since you get the Nono = Senri reveal, and she shows up as Senri in the true end. I did like the True Ending, but yeah, it was disappointing that nothing from the alternate routes tied into it at all, and there wasn't any need to make them required.

I also read Arimura's route before Hana's, but that order worked fine to me as a teaser for Hana actually being a psychic. And in hindsight, I still think whether or not Arimura seeing her brother is really due to Hana's power or just from Arimura going crazy, is left open to interpretation? I was under the impression that for it to actually be due to Hana's power, two people would have to "see" Arimura's brother for the delusion to stick. But even after Arimura tells Takuru about seeing her brother (which I think would meet the "echo" condition of Hana's power), Takuru still doesn't see the brother when Arimura does. This might just be me reaching though.

I do agree that they could have just left out the entire post-credits hospital breakout scene from the common ending, but I didn't really see it as a big deal that it contradicts the true ending. Since all of the science adventure VN's are supposed to be in the same universe, you could easily just hand wave it by saying it's an alternate world line possibility where Takuru doesn't successfully wipe her memories.

edit: also, for anyone that hasn't read Steins;Gate yet, or is like me and re-buy's poo poo too often, S;G Elite (the remaster w/integrated scenes from the anime or something like that) releases this week on PS4/Steam/Switch. The Switch version includes the 8-bit ADV minigame, and PS4/Steam come with Linear Bounded Phenogram. Which is real unfortunate because I'd prefer to read a VN on Switch, but I actually want the Linear Bounded Phenogram stories...

astr0man fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 17, 2019

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Steins;Gate Elite is weird (I've only read through the prologue). It's very cool how well the animation is integrated into a VN, and it is certainly a unique experience, but reading it mostly just makes me miss the original VN art.

For newcomers I'd still say just read the original if you have the time to read a long VN, and just watch the anime if you don't. Personally, I'm ok with the cost of rebuying it on Steam since I get Linear Bounded Phenogram with it, but in general you'd probably still be better off just waiting for the next steam sale.

I still plan on re-reading all of Elite because it's been a while since I read S;G, and because I want to see the animated versions of the alternate endings, so I'll probably make more of an effort post about it eventually.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yeah, if you’ve only seen the anime I think you’re definitely better off going with the original VN, since elite is missing some (relatively minor) content compared to the original VN, due to the alternate endings not being animated at all until now.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The anime is just the true ending (but it is a really good adaptation). The movie is it's own thing, but doesn't add anything worthwhile at all, so unless you are just really desperate for more S;G you can skip it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I'd say it's definitely worth watching at some point, but maybe not right after you read the VN?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

orenronen posted:

I'm not sure what's going on in Elite, but in the original Japanese S;G they actually say "Dr. Pepper" and show an unmodified logo.

In Elite it's pronounced properly in the Japanese audio like in the original, but since the art is just the anime, it has the Dk. Pepper bottles. The English localization text for Elite uses "Dr P" everywhere.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

John Lee posted:

Did they seriously remove the ability to preview messages from Elite?

You can still preview them in Elite and then go back and select a different option if you don't like it, but they removed basically everything else about the cell phone mechanic from Elite. There's no choosing ringtones/wallpapers/etc, and you can't bring up the phone whenever you want. Whenever a message arrives, it just opens a menu for you to select your reply message (or ignore it and not reply at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
According to the patch wiki the voice/PS3 sprite patches should work with the GoG versions for both Umineko and Higurashi.