Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
What's the scoop on STEINS;GATE: Linear Bounded Phenogram, which unlocks on Steam Feb.20th? Good? Bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

hepcat posted:

I'd put it in the worth reading/playing category, assuming you liked the original and its characters. It's 11 or 12 short stories in the S;G universe written by various authors. In particular, I enjoyed Kurisu and Suzuha's stories. Another story written by 999's Uchikoshi involves a very creative, if a bit confusing, use of d-mails. A few others are quite forgettable, however.

Overall: 6 out of 10.
looking at screenshots from the Steam page...
https://i.postimg.cc/8PLKmkyN/ss-81eab5be4f53a05e724977f39dcb4845b5aeee5c-600x338.jpg

...ok, good enough for me.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Colorspray posted:

But I'm also wanting to move on! Thinking of picking up Steins:Gate, 428 Shibuya Scramble, or Zero Escape next. What are you all reading currently? And more importantly, are you enjoying it? :)
I dropped 428 recently - couldn't figure out how to progress. But it was a relief in a way, because the randomwacky writing was wearing on my nerves, yet I was determined to continue because I think Shibuya is neat.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Nah I did my homework and replayed the entire chapter with everyone, redoing all choices and checking every dictionary entry, etc. Still stuck with two or three chars out of five. Just some unfortunate combination. I don't mind, though.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Nah, it's long and annoying.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Well there's a fan translation of Steins;Gate Hiyoku Renri no Darling up on Youtube and I'm reading it right now. It's... probably not very representative of the genre though, I would guess.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Chaos;Child Committee of Zero patch question: I downloaded the patch and applied it to the game in my steam directory, but it seems like nothing has changed. I've tried launching the game from steam and from the patch launcher. I've also tried reinstalling the game and the patch and the game still looks the same as it does when its unpatched. What should I do to fix this?
You are supposed to start via launcher; it's not meant to look any different IIRC? It just fixes the lip syncing, and may, optionally, make some very subtle changes to the text window, switch characters' first and last names and make the font a bit smaller? It's not very obvious. Did you try switching the checkboxes in the launcher on and off to see if anything changes? The thought of anyone trying to read CC unpatched is disturbing.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I also happen to have started reading Sea Cat the Visual Novel recently. Doesn't seem like it's going to be my jam so far, but if there's ever a time to give something an honest try, it is now.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's been some murdering going on!

I'm definitely not dropping out until I see an entire episode at least.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Regarding Mass Effect, how many VNs let you design your character meticulously, and change your whole personality at will? My Shepard/Ryder was me, or at least, someone I could feel a strong bond with, and without that, I feel like the series would have very little appeal to me.

Meanwhile, the ability to distance from the protagonist, to tell yourself 'look, it's just a guy's story, he's not you, hel'll do what the writers decided, just sit back and relax' seems essential for enjoying VNs.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Stefan Prodan posted:

I'm towards the end of chapter 2 and I guess I still don't get what the mystery is lol

I mean I get that maybe the idea is that the person the game is saying is the killer is not the killer but so far it's not presented as any sort of mystery, if I hadn't had it described as a mystery before I would not assume it was one, it just reads like a straight up horror thing

I suppose the game does present like the epitaph as a mystery by now
100% this.
When I finished chapter 1 (plus bonus scenes), I found myself, ironically, with zero 'questions' that needed answering. It explained itself quite thoroughly and in no uncertain terms, so that the only question left was 'well, does something else happen then?'. I dropped it when, over the course of chapter 2, no new mysteries have been presented, but a ton of time was spent on characters trying to CSI the crimes that we'd just seen unfold in full detail. Complete with tortured ghosts of the victims standing right next to them screaming 'how can you be so blind!', lol

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Nate RFB posted:

Umineko up to ep.2 stuff> Because Beatrice is the storyteller, it's "her version" of the events.
Well I guess that flew over my head, when was that established? Cause it didn't... feel that way to me. It's first-person, we are shown people's thoughts, motivations, childhood memories... Looked like good ol' reliable narration.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

avoraciopoctules posted:

My sister is thinking about getting into visual novels, does anybody have a recommendation for a decent entry point? She likes horror, magic, and cute anime boys swooning over each other. She has expressed that she's ambivalent towards puzzles, so I'm probably going to avoid recommending Ace Attorney or Umineko type games (I'm a huge fan of AA, I bounced off of Umineko maybe Episode 5 or 6). We also tried out Somnium, but the main character was a bit too much of a creepy sex-pest.
Steins Gate's protagonist is the most pure, innocent soul, even in the "sexy" spin-off they made. Plus, you know, S;G rules.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Aesculus posted:

The review embargo for Robotics;Notes has lifted.

It's really, really bad. Large sections of it are clearly either machine translated or outsourced to the lowest bidder, leading to inconsistencies within both itself and the Semicolon;Series and making it just hard to read at the best of times.

MAGES what have you done :negative:
So you're saying, wait for the Committee of Zero patch before buying? Can do!

Well, they need to finish Chaos;head Noah first, but still.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Committee of Zero wrote an update sort of promising the patch for ROBOTICS;NOTES ELITE with fixed translation errors and mouse support in two weeks, bless their souls.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
How bad does R;N spoil Chaos Head btw? If there's anyone who has read both.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh, that's nothing. Gonna go note me some robotics, then!

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I got exactly halfway through Root Double yesterday, and I'm... kinda interested to see where it's going, I guess, it's fine!

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Out of curiosity, which half?
Finished After, then Before... pretty sure there are 2 or 3 more paths, and it's done laying the groundwork, so poo poo's about to get real!

I thought route A was a bit eh, which is a surprising thing to say about what is basically anime Chernobyl. But you're missing a lot of context for what is happening, and that doesn't let you get too engaged. Route B, on the other hand, gives you a whole lot to chew on, and I think they should have just made it the first path you read (but without the spoilerbombs that affect route A)

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Big Scary Owl posted:

The thing I hated the most about door one was how annoying the music was (to me). Door 2 kicks rear end imo
What, you didn't like the repeating short song that starts with an organ grinder and ends with a kid going Blah! Blah! Blah! Clap! Clap! Clap! while you're trying to focus on what you're reading?

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Root Double is good, but you'll probably guess all the big reveals long before they outright tell you. It likes to give you very obvious hints.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I liked root double overall but it is not well paced, with the last route in particular being an offense with it constantly being broken up by "here's my life story" flashbacks.
The Xtra feature is even better since you're just given literally a hundred or so flashbacks to dig through at your leisure. For readers who can't get enough of those. Most of them you've read before... Some are familiar, but with a twist. A few are actually cool. The only way to be sure is to read them all!

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Really enjoying Robotics;Notes so far! Reliving that Steins;Gate magic. Production quality is iffy, but the 'novel' part is tight, and nothing's even kicked off yet.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
DaSh is a sequel, apparently, so Elite is the one to start with. The fan patch is a must, the mouse controls are super tight and it's crazy how they shipped the game without them.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Stefan Prodan posted:

Mouse controls for a VN?

Alright, so since you're saying I need a fan patch I guess don't go for the switch version then?
Oh, I was only recommending the fan patch because it added mouse controls. Other changes I could take or leave. Yeah, a console version wouldn't need that in the first place.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ytlaya posted:

By the way, a word of advice - never google anything related to the game while you're playing it. My game glitched out at one point and wouldn't show me the text to one of the (pretty early mild spoiler that wouldn't really spoil anything even if you read it)Kimijima Reports, so I tried to google it and one of the result preview texts just spoiled a somewhat major thing for me*.
No worries, I'm reading along a "low-effort" guide at Kiri Kiri Basara, and it just tells me the bare minimum of what to do, it's been enough.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I liked this one:
https://www.kirikiribasara.com/2020/10/15/roboticsnotes-elite-route-guide/
On the bright side, if you follow the guide, the amount of stuff you have to redo is almost zero.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Speaking of Robotics Notes Elite, it's now, like, my favorite thing ever.

It was very... affecting on a completely different level from most mystery VNs where it's all murda murda and crazy plot twists, and very little effort to give any of it emotional weight, or give you some connection to it all. Here it's all simpler, more down-to-earth stuff, which nevertheless all lands just right. They pull off sad, they pull off scary surprisingly well, by coming up with things that are legit sad or threatening stuff that is actually threatening as opposed to, say, protagonist dying. It all just resonated with me so well, I couldn't help but nod yeah, that was messed up. While the characters, in fact, didn't spend much screen time dwelling on the drama and kept on trucking towards the next gut punch. Letting the situations speak for themselves. The story just GOES, it felt shorter than it actually was.
The ending I wasn't particularly looking forward to, it was building up to what it was gonna be right from the start, but it executed on it just about perfectly, a solid wrap-up. Because it doesn't "go" some outlandish "places" I can't say I'll be remembering it often, but I super appreciate a VN that is just a drat good read all the way through without relying on gimmicks.

Sorry about :words:, I don't usually feel the need to comment when I finish stuff, but this was an unusual experience.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, the mystery plot is mostly just... there, but the nature of the events was such a great fit for the setting.

For as much as I was unimpressed with the presentation at first, they really end up doing that island justice - tons of landscapes, backgrounds that are actually much wider than the game screen, subtly showing just how much open space is everywhere. They also like to show how frequently you're one on one with the elements when you're living in a place like this, and the occasional weather weirdness highlights everything going to poo poo.
Nice example of atmosphere (heh) working to enhance the effect of the story.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Baatura!!

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
That's why I have my monitor on an arm I can turn toward the bed any time. You don't even need a controller to read most VNs, just a wireless mouse. Perfect for a chill read after supper.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I just love it for the supernatural soap opera stuff, and click-click-click through all that's boring to me, like all the Closed Rooms.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Stefan Prodan posted:

hard to imagine yelling BATTLER!!!! in english instead of the BATTTORRRRAAAAA that I have become accustomed to
Or "Yare! Yare! Yare!", whatever that means

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Chaos;Child has my favorite VN ending ever. It's one thing when a strong story ends strongly, but the Silent Sky End arrives at the end of an uneven and mediocre VN and immediately makes it better with the twist, then proceeds to resolve the story through mostly low-key conversations (where every line has huge implications) as opposed to, say, flashy but meaningless anime battles as I was expecting. The route wasted absolutely no time and then just ended on a perfect note, ultimately making me feel less bad, or maybe even good about having spent the previous 60 hours. It was quite a feat.

woodenchicken fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 28, 2021

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I couldn't stick with AI, went for many hours, but was still in the first 'file', I'm guessing, with nothing intriguing going on and not a single likeable character in sight. The fact that it required you to actively 'play' it, as opposed to just clicking like in a proper VN didn't help.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

theblackw0lf posted:

Also did anyone here play Robotic;Notes with the fan made improvement patch? Also thinking of checking it out.
R;N is wholesome and beautiful, and has the least annoying mc I've seen in any VN, but I dunno how essential the translation patch is, people say it was never that bad in the first place? The mouse controls they added are the big deal, if you are into mice. But you can't control it with a mouse alone, unfortunately, 'cause there are a few QTEs here and there.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

hepcat posted:

I started 428 Shibuya Scramble, but stopped temporarily after GAA came out. I picked up 428 again recently after finishing GAA, but am considering dropping it permanently this time. What’s ironic is that while 428 has snappier dialogue and is better edited than many VN’s I’ve played, the clunky interface and inability to fast forward through dialogue you’ve already seen makes it seem much longer than it probably is.

I’m stuck between 11am and noon. I’ve picked every option for all five available characters and can’t get anything other than a Bad End, “keep out”, or “to be continued.”

Is the payoff worth fighting through these issues? Has anyone else gotten stuck at this point, and were you able to figure it out, or did you have to use a guide? I’d hate to have to cheat this early in the game but this really getting aggravating.
Same. (the getting stuck part, i don't remember what hour it was) Tried literally everything there was to try at some point, and it still wouldn't let me progress. I don't think there was a guide out there, at least around the time of release, or I'd use it for sure, the game seemed neat and worth finishing, but not if it was gonna resist it so loving much.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
3 chapters into Chaos Head and it's starting to suuuck... And I was really vibing with it at first, but... that sure is the same writer who did Chaos Child, no doubt about it. The amount of drivel is making it move so slowly. Demon girl, demon girl, demon girl... There are tacos in cafeteria today: some kind of plot by the demon girl? That dog looked at me funny. Demon girl in disguise?
Like when we receive a voicemail, do we really need to painstakingly list all people who know our phone number and their possible motives for calling us? Just open it already!
*delusion trig...* NO! Bad Takumi! Open the voicemail!

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm definitely sticking with it, the Chaos; setting is great, and Child had some really really strong parts. Just not looking forward to literal hours of extremely silly pointless inner dialogue.

Playing with the fan patch here yeah, that... took a while, but mouse support alone is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

ymgve posted:

The thing I remember about Chaos Child is that the killer is killing people with an ability that they have not ever been shown to possess before the reveal
When the male culprit revealed himself, I loving lol'd at how stupid he looked, what is that dorky looking helmet, are you kidding me. Way to deflate the whole menacing spirit of the case. Now, the teacher later on was a much better villain imo, a believably nasty fucker.