Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I never thought Visual Novels would be my thing, but after playing Persona 5 and a friend recommending DDLC - I had a good time, so I wanted to try something different.

I've seen the name Higurashi come up a few times, so hey - why not go in blind?

:stare:

I'm on chapter 3, and there's only a couple left on Steam after this. There are 8 total right? Am I going to be stuck waiting for the remaining chapters to be released or is there a way to get the complete story? I'm not averse to watching the show if it covers everything, but I'm digging this format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Totally down for the voice patches, thanks! Umineko and House in Fata Morgana are next in line. I actually started HiFM tonight a bit to check it out since it's been so well received. At first I wasn't sold, but finished door 1 and now I'm hooked. Certainly wasn't expecting that.

Given what I've been playing, at first I thought that there had been a full-blown scalping. Which made the bedroom scene extra terrifying. So glad I was wrong!

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Yeah, can't argue with that. Between "cheap as free" and hearing a ton of buzz on it, it didn't seem too outlandish to give DDLC a go. It's responsible for where I am today.

I'm more concerned by my decision to jump straight into Higurashi blind. After which I had told another friend of mine which one I picked up, the response was:

THAT one?!

He had apparently seen the show, and confessed that it was one of the more hosed things he had seen . I'm convinced I haven't seen the worst of it.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Been a while, but leaving a trip report from my impressions from jumping into VNs for the first time ever last year.

I made the bad choice of starting with Higurashi, because my uneducated self thought "oh hey, there are 5 chapters on steam that must be the complete set!"

Looking forward to 2020+ when I can finally finish that one!

Then I jumped into The House in Fata Morgana back in July. Long story short, this was my top game experience of 2018. I suspect that might have ruined everything else in comparison.

But that's not entirely the case, because I started slowly chipping away at Umineko and ended up binging chapters 4-6 over the past month. It rules.

I have to say:
Umineko Chapter 4-6 Impressions (It's kind of a blur)
-When Maria's incantation to become best friends with your mom was recited from the grimoire, I loving lost it.
-goddamn, Erika Furudo
-GODDAMN, Erika Furudo

I've been curious to check out the below next after I finish Umineko. It's cool going in blind so I really only know titles and might have seen a screenshot. I don't know what I'm getting into or if I'm missing anything obvious:
-Kindred Spirits on the Roof
-Steins;Gate
-Danganronpa
-Clannad

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Everyone here is awesome! Whatever I pick next, I'll post more detailed impressions (or not) of whatever it is. If that sort of thing is fun to read (or not).

Taking a Umineko break due to AGDQ this week, but it's cool to be going through that the same time as a few of you here.

Late news, but last night I found out that limited run games is printing an english Vita cart for The House in Fata Morgana sometime this year, which I want to pick up specifically to share with a friend who is interested but has no means to experience it for themselves.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Holy poo poo some madman modded Umineko into a Steamed Hams meme. and its perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddJHCUmIC8M

Spoilers of the Umineko experience, I guess? The ????? Tea Party not in the video (but in the game hosted in the description) has character spoilers though.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This is fantastic. Why is this meme still funny.

I only laughed at this and the nier automata one, but it's funny as hell when executed perfectly.

That said, I finished Umineko a week ago and it stuck hard. I think I'm finally getting it, and almost want to re-read it - it was really good!

I think I've figured out how I want to handle my own interpretation of that story, as convoluted as it can get - was a really enjoyable and unique experience. Maybe I'll try out the manga for a different take.

But I'm also wanting to move on! Thinking of picking up Steins:Gate, 428 Shibuya Scramble, or Zero Escape next. What are you all reading currently? And more importantly, are you enjoying it? :)

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

The last thing you mentioned messed me up too. REAL bad. Like had to walk away from the monitor to grab a drink, crying bad.

I've been slowly chipping away at Steins Gate and it hasn't sunk in yet, so the beginning exposition and dialogue have been a little strenuous to get through.
My immediate impressions are:

1) Wow this guy is Dib from Invader Zim, huh?

2) You can write 'Dr. P', and label it 'Dr. People' in an image. But I'm hearing Dr. Pepper in the audio motherfuckers

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I wanted to check Ever17 too but I'm lazy and from my understanding seems to require a bit of :filez: and patching on a modded psp so...someone please tell me I'm wrong.

Also The House in Fata Morgana is not on that list so you might want to check that one out. Just go in blind and trust the internet that it's stupid good and will possibly ruin all other VNs for you.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I love Ciconia and want to see more discussion. Except I'm not posting so there's myself to blame.

It took 25 hours to complete, so it seemed substantially longer than any chapter of previous When They Cry chapters. "What the gently caress?!" echoed the living room when the credits rolled. Not a because of a twist, but because it ended where we all knew it would, and then had the audacity to stop right there!

Here's my dumbass crackpot theory:
Regarding the spies in each faction; I want to believe no person is a willing traitor. It's that *poyo* frog! :getin:

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

If you have ever experienced unmodded Higurashi (no spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wOY7WXg4xI

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Re:Umineko: Being a plebian, I researched knox's commandments of mystery novels and was surprised by the fifth:

5. No Chinaman must figure in the story.

Resisting any big lebowski quotes, I was able to deduct the following:

If any novel inferred "a shifty eyed foreigner" they were trash, even for the time they were written, and were KNOX worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I binged Gnosia over the last week and didn't think I'd end up liking it as much as I did. Really cool game that I vastly enjoyed more than Raging loop. Although I wouldn't say they're comparable outside of the werewolf/mafia game integrated into the story.

Cool use of scifi in a unique setting I haven't seen before. Almost every character is a lovable scamp; except maybe a couple that are the worst.

Is there anything else out there remotely like it?