Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hi thread I just grabbed Steins;Gate in a certainly futile effort to keep myself from throwing too much money at the RD kickstarter. Is there anything I should know going in? And uh....what's the rewind/read previous text button (on the Vita)?

Also is there any news at all about the Infinity series getting re-released in English? Every once in a while it seems there's some rumor about a Steam release that really gets my hopes up before not actually amounting to anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Apparently on mine Square opens a menu that allows you to view the backlog. I swear I tried that last night but maybe the prologue has some restrictions on it.

Anyway now I'm a few minutes into chapter 1 and I really like pretty much everything about it so far, even the art seems interesting.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm enjoying S;G more and more but I'm worried about finishing it. What are some other VNs in the same vein?

Also am I going to be able to get the true ending on my own or will I need to resort to a guide or something? Is there even a true ending? I went into this one pretty much completely blind.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Alder posted:

I liked Danganrompa series a lot. I hope it'll be popular enough on PC so they'll keep creating more of the series soon. It does have some annoying mini-games though.

Eh I've played both main games (and read half of the prequel novel) and I actually have the opposite opinion: I love all the investigation and all the class trial minigames but think the overall story and characters were pretty blah. The ending to the first one was, in my opinion, so bad it almost wrapped around to great. It came out of nowhere and relied on a combination of cliches and setting assumptions that weren't really telegraphed.

I'd be really really surprised if they didn't make more though. There's been an anime, two main games, a spinoff action game, at least one spinoff mobile game, and a book.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Midjack posted:

Root Double just added a PS Vita version to the kickstarter.

How does this work, is it possible to redeem the digital copy on Vita or do you need to go for the 99$ tier?

Either way I'm going to sigh and pitch in...it's a stretch to think they'll pull 35k in a week but I want to show my support anyway.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Fru Fru posted:

They finally did the right thing and added a Vita only tier so I updated my pledge to that. At this point they might actually make it, 2 days and only about $5k to go.

Whoa, thanks for the heads up, this is what I'm doing now. Hope it makes it.

I also got my first ending in Steins;Gate, ended up with Faris and everything seemed okay if heavy on the melancholy side of things. Now I've got the flowchart loaded up on my phone to get the other endings and 1) holy crap there's like four more chapters and 2) the spoiler free guide totally had a spoiler in it. :(

Is there any hope for the other games in the whatever;whatever series getting translations? I need to hold on until Zero Time Dilemma.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

Your first ending wasn't Suzuha's?

Wow, I figured everyone would get that one first

When I was looking at the flowchart after the ending I got, I think I missed it because I was pretty desperate to save Mayuri, and getting that ending seems like you have to ignore the likely way to do that?

I don't have it in front of me but there's no Moeka ending is there?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The icon only shows up after getting an ending, any ending, as far as I can tell.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Finally got around to finishing all the endings on Steins;Gate. Holy crap. Are there any other (non-Zero Escape) VNs that have as much crazy mind-fuckery and twists?

All the endings were really good other than Faris, since her ending just arbitrarily breaks the established conventions of the setting left and right for the sake of a conclusion.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Is there any news on a Steins;Gate 0 translation yet? The write up on Kotaku piqued my interest and man I really want to give it a spin.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Does anyone who backed the KS have any news on Root Double? The Steam page still just says "April". I've got a flight coming up soon and it would be rad to load up on my tablet.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm only like a half hour into /After in Root Double, and I have to wonder if it should be kind of obvious what happened with the Captain and Yuuri before the Captain blacked out. I mean even without passing knowledge of the Infinity series, it's telegraphed pretty hard. I feel like it's got to be a red herring but I'm just not sure (and honestly I guess I don't really want to know yet). Either way, the plot so far in /After has been cool.

I also picked up Higurashi ch 1 but it hasn't grabbed me yet so far (midway through ch2, I think) - the protagonist is somehow more unlikeable than Rintaro, and the sprites are bland and awful (the less said about the original sprites the better.) Is it really worth sticking out?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

In Root Double how do I open the TIPS? I was hoping I could control it entirely with my touchscreen but no such luck.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Are there any good VNs available on iOS? It seems like a good format for them but all I know of is the comic book version of 999 and foreign language versions of S;G.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Can someone give me a spoiler free idea of how Umineko and Higurashi are related?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Hey I'm really sorry about asking a question in this thread but I can't find the Zero Escape / ZTD thread anywhere -

....did I gently caress up my game? I haven't explored all the open fragments or made all of the choices but now I'm stuck in a fragment called the Door of Truth. After the puzzle room is finished, there's a decision game with a door code, 8 digits long. I made my choice by backing out, since I didn't know the code, figuring this would unlock the rest of the game flow again, but it didn't. So, I go and try the other path, where I don't teleport, and it gives me the same game over as I got before.

So uh considering the first two games were kind of impossible to get the "true ending" without learning everything, and I certainly haven't figured out nearly everything yet, and this area seems pretty final....what gives? Should I be able to find the code? And if I do, is that it, or will it lock me out until later (like the coffin ending in 999)?. I'd appreciate it if someone could assuage my fears without any spoilers, if at all possible.

fake edit: also, similar question for the J-03-05 note in the study? Should I be able to figure that out? Q-10-12 didn't work, and I was able to solve the room without it, but...I feel like that was important somehow.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

In ZTD where do I get the password for the computer in Force:Quit Q? It's the only open fragment I haven't completed and I've seen five endings so far six if you count Perceptive End, which....what the hell was that? so I'm pretty sure that I should know it already but the only eight digit numbers I can think of are the birthday and the date of the Free the Soul meeting and neither work?

E: nvm, figured it out, was missing some execution fragments.

E: Wow. That...was pretty dumb.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 24, 2016

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Seriously guys I really want to like Higurashi but when in the hell does anything actually happen? I've played the first chapter up to the picnic scene and not only is it twee boring nonsense but the main character and most of his friends are profoundly unlikeable. I keep hearing great things and I loved Steins;Gate despite a similarly slow-burn opening, but just nothing loving happens for hours and I am dying here.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I realize it's entirely subjective but I feel like I have to ask anyway, is it like S;G where even though most of the characters are awful the story ends up being strong enough to stand on its own (and in fact make some of the characters redeem themselves), or is it something I should put down if I'm finding it entirely grating and hope the snaggletoothed little monster girl gets thrown off a cliff.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Wait, when does Higurashi take place? The newspaper clipping TIPS about the murder at the dam says it was from June 1979, but I don't recall seeing the current year anywhere.

I hope it's just something I missed and not a spoiler somehow.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Cool, thanks. And I'm glad I stuck with it a bit, nothing has really happened yet other than foreshadowing and stuff but the slice of life stuff past the picnic is much more tolerable. The Old Bachelor scene was downright fun.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Welp god drat, spoiled what I assume is a major part of Higurashi from a random image in a random thread in GBS. Wonderful. :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm not looking at those spoilers (I'VE BEEN BURNED BEFORE :() and not quoting the post so I don't see them but the image in question is this (linked for obvious reasons, not because it's NWS or anything): http://i.imgur.com/knmmL2b.jpg

I mean...it's hilarious, but......yeah.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The one that's not an anime is Bill Murray from Groundhog Day.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I really wish I wasn't right in my guess about who would die first in Higurashi.

That cause of death, though :gonk: RIP, ripped photographer dude.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I just finished Higurashi Ch 1 Onikakushi and uh wow. Up until the first death I was reading it slowly, maybe clicking through a chapter a week in between chilling online or whatever, but when I came back to it today and Rena got all loving creepy in Chapter 9 I ended up reading through to the end tonight. I did notice some things jumping out at me more than they probably should have from the spoiler I was complaining about on the last page like all the times Keichi mentions that Rika is acting more like an old woman than a little girl, but nothing that really explains what the hell is going on.

The only theory I have that I'm somewhat confident of is that his parents are in on it. Between them mysteriously going out of town, his seemingly total disconnect from their daily lives and careers, and the fact that the note was tampered with, it really strongly points to them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

:psyduck: The Happy Fun Club activities at the start of Chapter 2 are horrendously unnerving if you start the game less than an hour after completing Chapter 1. So much of it is downright sinister with all of that still fresh and raw in your mind.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Isn't Chapter 4 super short and wasn't originally part of the story or something like that? Again, I'm like halfway through Ch2 Watanagashi right now so I'm not an expert. ...Is there some list of how many chapters each main chapter has?

Also, speaking of Ch2, holy crap chapter 5 was brutal. Shion is a goddamn monster. I was pretty sure something like that was going to happen but wow, poor Mion.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Maybe a weird question but how well-written is Higurashi? There have been a couple of things that I've noticed where I can't tell if the discrepancy is intentional or an error on either the translators' or original author's part. For example, in Watanagashi, when Keiichi meets Takano, the other characters mention that he met her in the hospital that time he had a cold.....but the "cold" was him avoiding Creepy Rena in Chapter 1 (which was after she disappeared anyway), and later in Chapter 2 he says again "I've never missed school because of a cold! Idiots don't catch colds!" I'm assuming it's intentional but I still don't want to be building theories and stuff off of things that might have just been overlooked by the author or editor or whatever.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

It couldn't have, though, since he says that second part later in the same chapter.

E: Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread so much with my random thoughts and questions as I'm going through this, I'm obviously really digging it but I should probably just lay off the ol' post button until I catch up to Chapter 4.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Just finished Chapter 2, and my only thoughts are that the noise Shion and Tomitake heard the night of Watanagashi was somehow the sound of the police battering in the door of the underground tunnel at the end, echoing through time somehow or something and that Keiichi is a total goddamn idiot.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Weird question but any idea why Higurashi doesn't play nice with a Windows 10 touchscreen? I'm able to click to advance the story but none of the buttons for the menus or anything work. If I had to guess I'd say they're coded to handle events when the click ends and the touchscreen isn't sending that event properly but I have no idea how to get around that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

That's like, the whole subtext of the Persona 3/4 Social Link system.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The whole series is about accepting who you are inside, represented by your Persona. The MC, who is mute and therefore receives a personality as a reflection of what other characters do and say, is the only character that can switch personas based on the situation at hand. Every enemy in both games is wearing a mask. These aren't exactly subtle themes here that you're missing.

e: I'm pretty sure the true final boss of P4 basically calls you out directly for this and points out that the only true friendships you have are with the Scooby Gang fighting alongside you, but it's been a REALLY long time since I've beaten it.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 23, 2016

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I feel this has been answered a million times over already but I don't want to dig through the thread for fear of spoilers - does Umineko spoil Higurashi?

Also, are the iOS ports of Higurashi any good? I know they're way behind but honestly I'd probably rather read it on my phone.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Any of them. Unless you're talking S;G vs S;G0 in which case go with the former.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

I'll have to give Remotr a shot. I've been looking to do the same thing and Moonlight kind of freaks out on some VNs. It doesn't register taps as clicks in Higurashi. :shrug:

What's Moonlight?

I think Higurashi (and possibly Root Double though it's been a while since I checked) are coded to advance text/open menus on the RELEASE of a mouse click, which most touch systems (including my windows 10 convertible laptop/tablet) don't implement correctly. It sucks because my computer literally snaps apart into a nice tablet that would be perfect for VNs but the ones I'm reading don't loving work right. If I have to stream from my computer to another tablet it'll be dumb but better than nothing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm finally coming up on the home stretch of Higurashi ch3 - I put it down for a while because honestly, the whole plot with Satoko's uncle was a bit too depressing for my anime child serial killing storybooks.

But I'm glad I kept going, Keiichi Murderbara is the best even if he's still dumb as hell, and that scene with Takano on the drive home was incredibly tense and awesome and made me like her character more (while showing a bit of her dark side). It was also great when earlier she kind of scolded Keiichi (and thus the reader) for thinking anything truly supernatural was happening - "Do you know who Santa Claus really is?" is pretty much the best line.

I am getting so many dumb theories. Since the answer arcs aren't out yet, if I go on and read Umineko when I"m done with ch4 am I going to just pop my poor brain with wild guesses? :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I complained earlier in the thread from getting pretty huge (I think) spoilers from an image in a random GBS thread, but all its done is give me another angle to think about things from when reading through the stories. I was planning on holding off until after ep4 anyway.

How do the answer arcs for Higurashi actually work? Is there like a 1:1 ratio to question arcs that works similarly to how they did (repeating the same span of days) or is it something else or would the answer be a spoiler in and of itself somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

soooo I'm really digging Higurashi ch 3 but I really didn't need to see Satoko draped in a towel for an entire chapter, wtf Japan