Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Finished the Zero Escape trilogy, despite me liking the idea of ZTD's gimmick I didn't really like it in practice.

The biggest problem for me was (VLR and ZTD spoilers) the nature of how fragments and the flowchart are unlocked mean that for a "decision game" your choices come across as almost entirely meaningless because no matter what the result is, you're going to rewind immediately and play the other choice again because you need to get a lot of the bad endings to unlock the rest of the story. you could argue that the AB game in VLR was like this, where in virtually every instance past the first round one decision leads to a game-over, but a) the real "choices" in VLR were the chromatic doors which you aren't going to rewind until hours later, and b)the AB game drama felt stronger because you just spent a couple hours investigating with the character you were playing against.

also i think the only required bad ending in VLR is Phi's. this was a really cool moment in the game but it seems like ZTD went "hey what if every decision in the game was that way" which makes it much less cool. (there are a few bad endings in VLR which aren't required but a player playing the first time will almost certainly get too, mainly Alice's)

liked the presentation of it being more film-like though. definitely recommend it on the Vita/3DS because the fact that those are portable systems make the bad graphics more tolerable than the PS4/PC being blatantly "a portable game ported to a home console

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i kind of liked the S:G VO from the start, specifically how weird his interactions with everyone else are

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Speaking of S;G, I just got to the lab mem pizza party, and uh

I changed my mind can this go back to being a fun slice of life thing with an annoying eccentric high schooler protagonist :stonk:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sakurazuka posted:

Are there any worthwhile VNs available in English on iOS? Or any at all really.

does Ace Attorney count?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tamba posted:

Of course, that's the whole point of time travel. What could possibly go wrong?

S:G spoilers i'm actually really glad the story went back to being slightly lighter after the "Mayushii dies over and over again" bit, but i'm guessing there's going to be some more of that stuff before whatever the ending is

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also, for people who don't have them yet, the Zero Escape games are on sale on the Vita store this week, including ZTD.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
him screaming "banana" is the best voice acting i've ever seen in any work

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i got fed up with all the black boxes in this thread so i started Umineko and finished chapter 1

i started out actively disliking it because of what I saw as bad editing (not just the length of the first part but stuff like conversations where characterization was *way* too explicit when it should have been perfectly clear from tone and context, like A:"I see...." Narrator:"Character A was feeling suspicious"), but jesus christ did it pick up after that.

feel free not to answer this if it would ruin too much of it, but how much should I be worrying myself w/r/t trying to solve the mystery myself rather than enjoying it as a thriller/mystery piece so far? i've definitely heard that the riddle is basically impossible for non-native Japanese speakers, for instance.

ch1 mystery thoughts spoilers

things i'm thinking about the mystery that may or may not be true

1) any motivation for murder (assuming someone in the party is the culprit) is extremely complicated because of the clause where everyone comes back to life at the end. anyone who sufficiently believes the riddle could kill (or kill themselves) without any remorse, which makes things a bit interesting.
2) kanon's death struck me as immediately suspicious, because he didn't die immediately. i have no clue if i'm reading too much into this, but it seems strange that an all powerful killing force didn't just kill him outright
3) was it just me, or was the order of the twilights a bit off?
4) not sure how to think about Beatrice's "physical" presence in the end, though the bit in "???" suggest some explicit metafictional stuff at play and that I shouldn't take it as a literal fact just yet

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 3, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's unfortunate because the dialogue writing is actually perfectly fine at conveying tone, so it's less that they're relying on narration to do it than the narration being completely unnecessary sometimes

speaking of the editing, is the point-of-view of the narration frequently changing from first to third person and back again bad editing or should i pay attention to that

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 3, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

it's somewhat common in jp lit in general but you might want to pay attention also

from scene to scene i mean, if it switches between a couple lines that's just editing

that's actually super interesting, I didn't know that about JP lit at all!

anyway i'm gonna start Ch2 tonight so thanks everyone for annoying me with spoiler bars to the point where I finally broke down and played this thing, because it's really enjoyable past the start so far

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
unimeko ch2 hey can we ignore solving these boring murder problems and ask why kanon and a goatman are having an anime energy sword fight

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
aren't explicit dating sim VNs pretty rare these days? like the ones which are actually about choosing what to do on a date

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i don't think a lot of western VNs are explicitly political unless like you're assuming the existence of lesbians is a polemic or something

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't really like "everything is political" because it leads to dumb rhetorical gotchas like "well is puyo puyo political" but it'd be better to say that you can't understand art without the cultural context of the creator or the player, ty folks

(to put it another way its an argument that should be a starting point, and not a punchline to end discussion)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 5, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Be Depressive posted:

Actually the goal is to make a game that’s entirely about things happening, thus has no reason to delve into the opinions and personal lives of most characters.

Plots which are just "a bunch of things happened" tend to be very boring fyi

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oh hey umineko chapter 3 done. I really love how the game repeatedly makes you rethink your impressions of characters, I hated almost the entire family other than Kyrie, and maybe Natshui when she was doing her Momma Bear act in ch1, and then they're all shooting the poo poo with each other for virtually all of chapter 3 and I ended up liking them all. Except Rosa who still sucks.

re: ch3 speculation, I'll have to look back but someone other than Eva had to have poisoned Nanjo, right? that's the one theory that fits the suspiciously worded "the weapon was used at point blank range while Nanjo looked the culprit in the eyes text, and it would allow for him dropping dead any amount of time later

In any case I'm getting the impression that this is more of a Hercule Poirot thing where character motivations are a better clue than physical evidence for the actual culprit(s)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 6, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also people brought this up earlier but I think the rules about the narration are something like any event which happens when "real world" Battler or possibly one of the non-victim characters (because they can tell Battler about it) isn't observing it can't be said to reliably have happened but I'm not sure if that entirely works.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Even with the anime chunni stuff Steins premise of "weirdo conspiracy theorist accidentally invents an actual time machine" would be a good book in basically any medium

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Umineko ch4, a few hours in but after reading these adorable Maria scenes and there's zero chance this episode isn't going to completely wreck me by the end is there

e) ok Google search "unimeko sakutaro culprit theory

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 6, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also it's not discounted but if you have Japanese eshop points you can buy it immediately on the Japanese Nintendo eshop, it includes the English language option and actually defaults to it if installed on an English language Switch :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Rosa does indeed suck. Just completely awful in every way.

The fact that her abuse of Maria is on such a grounded, realistic scale makes it even more terrifying somehow

btw, the way I'm interpreting things so far: all four games are "real" in the sense that they're different ways the Rokkenjima incident could have played out, meaning it's very likely that multiple characters had independent plots to kill when they entered the island, and random chance played out from there. Also Real Battler is the "observer", meaning nothing he doesn't witness is reliable information (eg Kanon lightsabre duels, none of the characters who died showing up in red on the tips screen until Ch4 Tea Party, etc)

Also Ch4 ??? was great. Bernkastel and Lambdadelta pointing out that literally none of Battler's theories made any sense was hilarious after that climactic tea party

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 7, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
btw there's something strange about the Umineko ch3 killings

why is everyone in the story concerned about Nanjo's death, which, ok, unsolvable method who cares, but not George's? Just from the context of the story it seems extraordinarily unlikely that Eva would have included George in a mass killing spree, especially since part of it hinged on her husband being an accomplice w/r/t establishing an alibi for her. like to me George's death is clearly the one from that chapter that sticks out the most, especially given that her paranoia later was framed as her being accused by the media of being George's murderer when she clearly loved him

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 7, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
by the way, i'm guessing this is a fairly minor mystery in the grand scheme of things (so it'll probably end up being the key to everything but) Unimeko Chapter 4: Ange found another Sakutaro doll in the fisherman's house, right? Meaning Rosa lied when she said she knitted him herself, which sounds like a thing she'd do

e) anyway, possible culprits from where I am so far

1) Kinzo - Extremely doubtful - Given that Kinzo is dead at the start of every game, there's almost no possibility he's directly responsible, though he could potentially have done something like order his servants to carry out the murders after his death
2) Krauss/Natshui - possible/doubtful - Krauss possibly has a motive if his scheme to hide Kinzo's death was discovered, leading him to try to eliminate his siblings, but he seems to be fairly incompetent to pull off a scheme like that. I don't think Krauss would willingly murder Jessica. Additionally, any mass murder scheme would require careful planning, while the discovery of Kinzo's death didn't seem to be something he expected to happen. Natshui seems devoted to the family to an almost pathological extent making it very unlikely for her to murder them all. One big point in favor for Krauss though - Using Kinzo's body would require knowledge that he was already dead, which would only apply to Krauss, Natshui and likely the servants.
3) Eva/Hideyoshi - Possible - Eva was the only survivor, though by a narrative/meta reading this actually makes her very unlikely to be the actual culprit. It seems very likely that she did murder at least a few people in her "game" (in particular, Rosa/Maria) after she discovered the gold, possibly due to an argument/etc, but it's extremely unlikely she would have killed her husband or George, as her affection for them seems genuine. It seems extremely unlikely that Hideyoshi would have participated willingly in a mass murder.
4) Rudolf/Kyrie - Possible, but neither character has really been explored to the extent that most of the other parents have, so I'm holding for further details on them. Of the parents, they're the second most likely to participate in a scheme where their "son" dies, after Rosa.
5) Rosa - Maybe. Rosa is clearly smarter than she appears, and it's possible that she bears deep trauma from her position as a mocked younger sibling. It's even possible that she may have been willing to kill Maria. However, her status as one of the initial deaths in a few games is a strike against her since it seems like every game is a possible "real" way the incident could have played out, though the 1998 Ange one (where she was possibly killed by Eva) seems like the "real" one.
6) Any of the children - Extremely unlikely. I'm just going to assume the game wouldn't have the good reputation it had if it pulls a Roger Ackroyd and has Battler as the culprit.
7) The servants, collectively - Possible, but I need more information. It seems very likely that whoever did murder everyone used the servants as accomplices, though, I can't fully discount a theory where they acted to kill the family collectively to steal the gold. I also don't think Shannon would have participated in the killing of George, though I'll need to go back over her various deaths to see if something makes sense (i.e. she was killed for trying to stop the murders/warn George). The servants also control the master keys, which seems extremely significant. A big point in favor for them is the same as Krauss - they would almost certainly have to had been willing accomplices in covering up Kinzo's death, meaning they would have been able to use his body to fake his murder. In the closed-room ring murders, I don't believe it's ever stated that the bodies were ever fully examined, meaning a possible solution is that the servants who died were faking it, especially if Nanjo was involved.
8) Nanjo - Don't know enough about him to decide, but it seems unlikely for him to have acted on his own. It *does* seem likely that he may have been an accomplice to fake someone's death, though this doesn't necessarily make him a participant (i.e. And Then There Were None, where the doctor fakes the culprit's death but was under the impression that this was to fool the culprit). Given that he's Kinzo's doctor, he clearly is a party to the plot to hide his death, though, so that's a point in favor for him, but I can't figure out any reason he'd kill everyone other than the fairly unsatisfying "he was trying to steal all the gold".
9) Kanon - Listing Kanon separately because his deaths make him one of the most suspicious people in the game. In the first game, he's one of the only victims not to immediately die, which is a large outlier in every game so far. His death in the first game is the most likely to have been faked by Nanjo as an accomplice. His death in the closed-circle murders could possibly have been faked as well, as Nanjo was still alive. In two games his body was never discovered. This means that in all four games so far it's entirely possible that Kanon never actually died. In those games, "Kanon" is announced to have died via red text, making me wonder if the real "Kanon" died prior to the start of the game, and the Kanon on the island is an imposter, though I don't actually know what the significance of this would be without further information about character backgrounds. Kanon is still a bit of a cypher, though, so I don't have enough knowledge of his motivations to say either way. Much like Shannon/George, it seems hard to believe he'd willingly murder Jessica.
10) Unknown person x - unlikely, given the metafictional reasoning that it would be dumb.
11) It was a witch - well obviously it was a witch. Magic is real
12) Sakutaro - Points in favor - Sakutaro is a scary lion which can eat people. Points against - Sakutaro is too cute to murder people. He has an alibi because Eva killed him prior to the Rokkenjima incident. Since Sakutaro wasn't actually homemade, possible that an evil Sakutaro imposter doll manipulated Maria into killing everyone

and since the third game seems the most significant in the sense that it "really" happened from the point of view of 1998 Ange, here's what I think the sequence of events were.

1) Some of the servants, likely with the assistance of Nanjo, and possibly under the direction of Rosa created the closed circle murders. At least some (most likely Kanon, and likely Shannon as well) of the culprits faked their death.
2) Eva independently discovered the gold. On the way back, she ran into Rosa and became suspicious that she was the culprit.
3) Eva faked a fever, and with the help of Hideyoshi, she escaped the guest house to confront Rosa when she left. She killed Rosa (possibly by accident) and killed Maria, who was a witness.
4) Kyrie, believing Hideyoshi and Eva to be the culprits (due to the cigarette) called them into the mansion to confront him. At this time, a gunfight happened where Eva was the only survivor.
5) Eva, increasingly frantic at being discovered as a killer, returned to the guesthouse and murdered the two remaining servants by an unknown method.
6) The culprit (Kanon?) independently killed George upon his return to the mansion. I'm not sure why George returned to the mansion, IIRC he was lured by Nanjo, I think? Nanjo was then killed by the remaining servant culprit(s) after Jessica was injured. Since it's possible that "Kanon" is some kind of an imposter, this would fulfill the "Kanon is dead" red text.
7) Eva, by now believing she had been found out, kills Battler. Armed, it's possible that she was able to kill the remaining culprits. Not sure what happened after that, or why Jessica's body moved to the lounge, though.

anyway if i'm totally off track or forgetting something major lemme know

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 7, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Umineko ch5 start ok lmao. I'm fairly sure the first four chapters are more or less fictional accounts of what happened (the first two from the bottles, the third from Eva's account, the fourth from (???)) but this one straight up seems to have someone's perfect OC poorly inserted into it. I'm going to lose it if this account ends up being someone's bad Rokkenjima fanfic or some poo poo lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also re a certain culprit theory I'm thinking the problem with Kanon as a sole culprit is that despite all the evidence that he's deeply suspicious, his whole personality is based around denying his self worth. In other words I can't see him having the agency to do something like this, he seems too passive, even in the fantasy scenes (which I'm taking to mostly be true in a characterization sense with obvious exceptions like GOLDSMITH)

e) there's a possibility that Beatrice for Kanon is like Maria/Beatrice, maybe? In the sense that she's Kanon's fantisization of having self worth and agency, but I don't know if that works. Unlike Maria, Kanon doesn't seem to be in denial, it's almost the opposite where he engages in self depreciation about being a powerless servant

with that being said he is *deeply* suspicious so time to read on I guess

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 8, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oh my god the chapter 5 dinner scene this is totally a bad self insert OC I'm dying at how funny this is. Bernkastel, the witch of Bad Fanfiction

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 8, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Umineko ch5 the rest of chapter 5 could consist entirely of bernkastel and lambdadelta telling fart jokes and it'd still be an all time great for Erika showing up and suddenly turning Umineko into a bad sitcom, and MOON TOURISM

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
btw did the author of this game work as a schoolteacher or something, because there's something really, really true to life in how it depicts domestic child abuse in a way that isn't cartoonish or exaggerated, and particularly in how different children deal with it

with that being said (ch4) i really had a hard time believing that Rosa wouldn't get in deep poo poo from Japanese CPS after she assaulted a welfare officer who was restraining her because she was going to hit her daughter. is it implied she got off because she's from a well-connected family?

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 8, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
christ that's sad. not to dig in the text for biographical info but that stuff is really likely informed by real life experience, i suspect

the end of ch4 with Ange swapping in the new Sakutaro and Beatrice knowing fully well what she did, and playing along anyway because she was unwilling to hurt Maria was so heartbreaking/touching. and in a sense it's doing exactly what Maria did in her life, it's taking something bad (Rosa bought a generic lion plush and pretended she sewed it herself because she's lazy) and reframes it into something good. the whole chapter went back and forth on the virtues of "magic" as unhealthy denial/"magic" as coping , but that last scene was maybe the best single scene in the series so far)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 8, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i more or less locked myself up over the weekend and binged it, because i'm the type of loser who does that with VNs lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I would use a guide to Steins Gate, the decision to hide the actual contents of the messages you send until you decide to send them always seemed really silly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Umineko ch5: given what I *think* Erika represents, it's funny that she evokes Agatha Christie when Poirot's method was all about "psychology", which is what he called exploring the motivations of all the suspects (best shown in imo her best novel Five Little Pigs, though Orient Express is great at this too) IIRC there's even one book where a Sherlock Holmes parody character shows up and tries to solve everything with forensics whole totally ignoring the motivations of the suspects

e) really creeped out about how "wrong" everyone's behavior is, even stuff like Eva's reaction to George dying feels totally unsympathetic and all the character personalities are so broad compared to the earlier chapters, which I'm assuming is a result of Beatrice not being in charge of the game anymore. Like in ch3 George's death sent Eva into a complete breakdown while here she's calmly chatting about clues a few hours later like it's nothing.

Natshui (and to an extent Krauss) is the only person who actually seems to exist in this chapter, it's like she was moved into some nightmare world where everyone else is fake. It's really creepy

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 9, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Spoilers to unimeko chapter 5 and also Agatha Christie's "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" hahaha Knox's Commandments are being brought up, once again the Christie reference is hilarious since she violated those rules all the time, most famously in Roger Ackroyd when the narrator was the culprit, given how the author seems to love the mystery genre this has to be intentional lmao[

e) i loving love that this seems to be a send up of mystery novels but with an obvious love for the genre, it seems to be pointing out that they sometimes care about evidence minutae over characters but at the same time it's so thrilling to see Battler "solve" kinzo's closed room problem even while it's obviously loving ridiculous

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 9, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dessel posted:

Please keep posting. It's fascinating to see someone smarter than I/person with apparent experience of the mystery genre going through the VN. I didn't fully give up on trying to solve the mystery but it felt pretty much like trudging through a swamp to try and find a logical conclusion. Once you've finished the entire thing and have understood all the underlying stuff I would suggest you to go back to your posting history in the thread.

I have a distinct feeling that the "proper" way to experience this VN would have been at the time, waiting between them to come out. I already learned from a few flashbacks that some of my theories e.g. Kanon was dead at the start and "Kanon is dead" is bypassed by e.g. an imposter Kanon being alive were already contradicted, which would have been easier to find out if I had been replaying old chapters while waiting a few months for the new one to arrive

current theory just based on intuition and not necessarily evidence lol: at this point, post ch4, it's pretty clear that the mystery hinges on what exactly the nature of Beatrice's existence is. the fact that Kanon is the most suspicious character in the game makes it likely that Kanon is acting as Beatrice, but I have no clue in hell why Kanon specifically would have some kind of connection to Battler, let alone one which involved going back six years (presumably to the last time Battler was at the conference, given the whole "what was your sin six years ago" bit) since they barely interact anyway.

given the nature of magic as shown by Maria, it's very likely that Beatrice is a manifestation of Kanon's trauma/desire to escape trauma but when the hell would Battler have traumatized Kanon? I'm going to assume this story doesn't hinge off "Kid Battler tried to brutally murder Kanon six years ago" or some dumb poo poo like that.

like, the whole thing is weird. the big ch4 question was Beatrice asking "who am I", but the answer being "Kanon" would hardly be satisfying on any kind of emotional level

btw ch5: I'm now a bit confused as to why people are acting so weird in this chapter (aside from Natshui and Krauss). Per what Knox said, pieces can't do things against their nature (which I'm assuming is a big hint of *HEY EVEN THOUGH THE GAMES CONTRADICT EACH OTHER CHARACTER MOTIVATIONS REMAIN CONSTANT*) so why the hell is e.g. Eva acting fine and dandy after George died? Why is basically nobody reacting to Erika acting like a complete rear end in a top hat about everyone's deaths? I thought the weird/bad acting of all the characters was because Bern/Lambda's game "lacked heart" but that also doesn't explain why Natshui still seems "real".

on the other hand Battler jumping out the window of Kinzo's study is a top 5 scene in visual novel history

e) I also liked Battler seeing Kinzo which I'm assuming is more or less explicating to people who haven't figured it out yet that scenes not from the POV of the main character (which, in this game is explicitly Erika) are not necessarily factual

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 9, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the Steins Gate true ending is fantastic and you should absolutely not miss out on it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

John Lee posted:

Huh? You can highlight various words in the text, select them, see what you would send, and then you have to actually hit Send to, y'know, send them. You can back out after previewing the message. 100% sure about this, I'm in the middle of replaying Steins;Gate right now.

are you playing the original or Elite?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
am I just a dumbass or something because i swear to god there was no way to back out of sending a message once you selected the keyword in the original

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
god that was like literally my number one complaint about Steins Gate so if it was actually just a control thing (i played it on Vita) that'd be hilarious

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Umineko thought, not really a spoiler but: maybe it'll have significance but I really like that the whole reason behind Kinzo's western obsession with giving his kids western-style names and having a western-style mansion is nakedly "the author loves golden-age mystery novels and golden-age mystery novels have to take place in an english-style country house"

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Umineko ch5 complete, and well, that was a ride

i actually do have a few questions in case the answers wouldn't spoil the rest of the game (ch5 spoilers) - That whole game was weird as hell but my takeaways were -

1) one of Knox's big hints in the rose garden conversation with her, Virgilia and Battler was that pieces can't act against their nature - which is a metafictional way of saying "the fictional characters in the games up to now have consistent characterizations"
2) with this being said, this does make me curious as to why the murder plot seems to have shifted towards a personal vengeance plot on Natshui, not to mention why the murders happened after someone found the gold
3) one thing I was confused of- Battler's explanation (it's entirely rational to construct a plot where Battler was the culprit in Game 5) seems to also deny the existence of Beatrice, so why does this "win"? is the argument that by constructing two rational, but inconsistent solutions, you implicitly allow for any number of other solutions including supernatural explanations?
4) i laughed my rear end off at the anime-rear end move of GOLD TRUTH. given that Battler got it after figuring all the mysteries, is that basically the concept of "canon"? meta is weird
5) the big implication is that Beatrice (and by extension, likely Kanon) is the Man From 19 Years Ago, i'm guessing. though i'm not sure how this relates to the similar, but different story of Rosa meeting Beatrice once.
6) it came up in Ch4, but there's a serious hint that Shannon and Kanon are both "aware" of the meta, which I think implies that they're fictional constructs in some way. (I think they even mention that they're both rarely alive after the first twilight, which I thought was an implication that if Shannon=Kanon=Beatrice=Culprit, it would be extremely convenient for one of them to "die" early for the purposes of murdering everyone) I'm wondering about some crazy rear end poo poo where Kanon and Shannon are actually representations of the same "real life" character, so I kind of watched out for it in Ch5, but there are a shitload of scenes where Kanon and Shannon clearly are both conversing with the other characters at the same time (with no indication that there's anything supernatural going on) so Shannon = Kanon can't really be true. which sucks because that would actually have a connection with Battler, given that Shannon had the hots for Battler even though she's getting courted by George. (though "Shannon had the hots for Battler but doesn't want to break it off with George so = Mass Murder is not a very good connection)
6a) Just thought of something - they made a big point over Battler not being the main character in this story (as opposed to Erika) meaning Erika has the objective POV, but Erika is definitely in the room with Kanon and Shannon as well so that doesn't work
7) kind of related to the above, but the "witches"/"furniture" stuff are the metaverse characters, and i'm taking that to mean that they're basically concepts, right? so Beatrice "dies" when she gets disproven as a concept, just like Sakutaro, a concept/fictional character/imaginary friend died when Maria believed he died (and came back when Ange showed her a brand new Sakutaro doll)
8) also related to the above - I'd have to go back to check but I'm *pretty* sure that Kinzo (who is, at this point dead and just exists as a "concept", aka a fictional character manifested by Krauss/Natshui/the servants) is also aware of the meta/prior games in some of the scenes where he's "supposed" to be there (as opposed to GOLDSMITH being in the tea room), but I'm not 100% sure of this

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 10, 2019