Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Since people are asking about VNs, does anyone have any thoughts about Spirit Hunter:Death Mark? its in my wishlist for some reason, but I don't remember why I added it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

It's not bad, basically a series of loosely connected ghost stories. Writings okay and it's spooky enough, there's also some 'gameplay' sections where you have to figure out how to exorcise the ghosts which can be annoyingly not obvious. I liked it enough to play it and the sadly not as good sequel.

hmmm, thanks for the info. I'll probably get it during the sale.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

Raging Loop ending question: why did getting dunked on cause Rikako to lose all her spider mojo

because she made a deal with somebody who doesn't exist, due to messing up the protagonist's name..

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

IMO either the PS3 or the original sprites are acceptable options, but the default Steam sprites are not acceptable under any circumstances. Battler and Beatrice both look awful (in ways that just seriously conflict with their characters) and all the female characters have comically massive boobs.

I didn't get far into Umineko, but I will always remember Rudolf's moobs for his original sprite.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

No, its Long live the Queen.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The one thing I'm hoping revelation mode is going to provide is an answer to (Raging Loop ending spoilers) what happened to cause the earth spider god thing to just suddenly gently caress off and leave the villain powerless at exactly the wrong moment, because I don't feel like the main story really explained that at all.

She made a promise that was impossible to fulfill.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I was sort of hoping to get AI The Somnium Files when it came out on switch but that’s a nice sale price. I’m also curious about playing the VLR trilogy. Which one of the two should I get if I only get one?

VLR for sure. not only is it a good VN, the puzzles add a lot to the gameplay.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

ZTD is great, I'm always surprised to see people who don't like it.

Its just a lot weaker than the other games. It also suffers from the fact that some plot stuff from the ending of VLR was ignored (the extra scene you get from solving all the bonus puzzles in VLR was even made uncanon). Its still a good game, but its not great like the other 2 games are.

-edit the best part of ZTD is this (massive spoilers for the 999 triology)

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 20, 2020

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Robotic Notes has really weird routing right? I seem to recall hearing the routes are determined by really arbitrary choices.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The puzzle design of ZTD is really weak compared to the last 2 games. Lots of repeat puzzles, and if you don't solve one right away, you basically get a hint that gives away the solution.

So I'm playing Robotic Notes Dash and its really awkward how they forced Daru from Steins;Gate into the narrative as a main character. Also, it seems like the game assumes you have played Chaos;Head.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

So I beat Robotic Notes Dash and I can't say I'm a big fan of it. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but its really awkward how they forced Daru into the story. It doesn't do a good job of justifying why a man in his 30s would be hanging out with a bunch of teenagers. Kaito also has problems. It makes sense that he would act more mature than what he was like in Robotic Notes; However, by making him more mature, he became a dull character. He doesn't really have that much of a personality anymore.

The game also doesn't really have a main plot until the very end. I do like a couple of routes (Subaru and Junna), but most of them aren't that good. I also feel like they had to ignore certain things from the first game in order to do some of the plot stuff they wanted. Considering Steins;Gate 0 had similar issues (to a lesser extent) I think the science adventure games have a real problem of lacking narrative focus in their sequels.

I also had multiple crashes while playing the game. There is also no mouse control (a recently released fan patch fixes this though), which is kind of ridiculous for a pc port release in 2020.

One positive thing is that they made it so the route no longer determined by arbitrary twipo replies.

I want to be clear that I don't think its terrible or anything. I just think it could have been better.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Saw this was on sale and the reviews seen pretty decent:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086Y1HD4C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$30 doesn't seem too bad. It's available for PS4/Switch.

Anyone experience this story?

Robotic Notes Elite is good, but I had problems with Robotic Notes Dash.

I'll just link my post I made earlier in the thread.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So I beat Robotic Notes Dash and I can't say I'm a big fan of it. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but its really awkward how they forced Daru into the story. It doesn't do a good job of justifying why a man in his 30s would be hanging out with a bunch of teenagers. Kaito also has problems. It makes sense that he would act more mature than what he was like in Robotic Notes; However, by making him more mature, he became a dull character. He doesn't really have that much of a personality anymore.

The game also doesn't really have a main plot until the very end. I do like a couple of routes (Subaru and Junna), but most of them aren't that good. I also feel like they had to ignore certain things from the first game in order to do some of the plot stuff they wanted. Considering Steins;Gate 0 had similar issues (to a lesser extent) I think the science adventure games have a real problem of lacking narrative focus in their sequels.

I also had multiple crashes while playing the game. There is also no mouse control (a recently released fan patch fixes this though), which is kind of ridiculous for a pc port release in 2020.

One positive thing is that they made it so the route no longer determined by arbitrary twipo replies.

I want to be clear that I don't think its terrible or anything. I just think it could have been better.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The most baffling thing about the Letter is that apparently one of the major characters was a backer character.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Yeah, its insane how long the last investigation of AAI 1 drags on. I still overall liked the first game, but I was glad when it was over.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Unless there is a lot of content/fully VAed, the absolute maximum price is probably $15. That's what CYOA/motion comics usually go for at max, and it seems like that is what your game most closely resembles. $10 seems to be about the right price though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Aside from Anonymous;Code, Mages has also kind of been phoning it in with remakes of science adventure games, side-stories and bad directionless sequels for awhile. It might be an example of too little, too late.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

So how good are Chaos;Head, Chaos;Child and Robotic;Notes anyway? Keeping in mind I've read Steins;Gate and enjoyed it.

Also, is Steins;Gate 0 worth bothering with?

Steins;Gate 0 has a lot of neat ideas but fails to follow through with any of them because the narrative lacks focus. Also, you need to watch a drama CD to get a satisfying ending for Stein;Gate 0, because the actual ending is missing a lot of details. Oh, and they literally didn't translate the last line of the game unless they patched that.

The plot of Robotic Notes eventually picks up and I enjoyed it. Its definitely slow-paced at the start though.

Robotic Notes Dash is bad. They added Daru from Steins;Gate as a character but its creepy because he is hanging out with high schoolers all day. Also the protagonist became more mature, but ending up losing their entire personality in the process. Another issue is that like Steins;Gate 0 there is no narrative focus. The only 2 good routes are non-canon, and the canon route is just a rehash of the ending of the first game. The game is all fanservice and no substance. Oh, and they even changed a character's ambition from wanting to be a meteorologist to wanting to be an idol, which is really boring and lame.

Science Adventure just really lacks ambition in its sequels (except maybe Chaos; Child, I haven't played the Chaos series yet), and is happy to just keep on churning out fanservice instead of doing anything interesting.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

I remember being kind of mad at 0 exactly because of everything you are saying here when I went through it five years ago or so. I never heard about a drama CD, though? Is it something that's been translated somewhere and what is it called?

I think its this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU3gNYUEcSM, this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU6iEhPanf0 and this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFwNalfEMJs

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 19, 2023

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

and the catboy detective game....

It looks like its just a normal JRPG and there is no actually detective related mechanics, and the entire thing is a VR simulation too for some reason.

Its not a VN but the Frogware reboot of their Sherlock Holmes stuff is good.

I'm playing Chaos Head Noah and its interesting how much of a product of a time it is. its a snapshot of the internet culture of the late 2000s.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

People tried to do an English dub of Umineko?

Kind of baffling to me - is there really much of a demand for that? It's a visual novel, so there isn't the same "don't want to read subtitles" element, and it's really hard for me to imagine an English-voiced Beatrice.

Fandubs are also pretty much universally terrible in quality. (Don't use this as excuse to post examples of "good" fandubs, I don't care and they are probably barely acceptable at best anyways).

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

who cares

read a vn or listen to one idgaf

I mean I'm not against dubs, I'm saying fandubs are of such poo poo quality I dunno who actually wants or enjoys them.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

I’ve been playing through the Zero Escape games again and just started Zero Time Dilemma. Oof. I forgot how bad the voice direction is in that game. Like, I understand it’s probably more difficult with all the scenes fully animated vs VLR but drat.

Also, the memory fragment system just makes it super difficult to follow the actual timeline, though that might have been the point. That said, I only played through it the one time after playing through 999 and VLR multiple times each, and don’t recall too much about the twists or the puzzles. So

Zero Time Dillema is definitely a downgrade from the first two games in my opinion.

The puzzles aren't as good, there is a lot of repeats, and the game has the annoying tendency to give you the solution after 5 seconds. I also miss the alternate solution mechanic from the 2nd game. I thought that was neat way to add more depth to the gameplay.

While I did enjoy the story, it fails to follow up on story elements from the second game. The secret ending you get from solving all the alt puzzles in the second game is straight up just non-canon. I also feel like one of the characters Junpei acts really out of character to support the execution voting mechanic. Its also weird that Clover doesn't show up in this one since she was such an important character for the first two games. I did really enjoy the scene where characters discuss how Marty McFly is a murderer. That felt like a classic nonary game scene.

The character design is a lot more low-key for this game too, and the sometimes really low quality animation doesn't help.

Some of the issues can be blamed on budget issues. The game almost didn't get made because of that.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

wait…alt puzzles? Non-canon ending? I feel like I got those at some point but it’s been *so* long

Its this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyQaEB87DKE (Major spoilers obviously). Every escape room has a hard mode and an easy mode puzzle, and you unlock the epilogue by solving all the hard mode versions of the puzzles.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

This killed me. The whole Kyle isn't really Kyle in the epilogue and is possessed by the ??? stand-in for the player was really something I was looking forward to seeing fleshed out.

This I disagree with, though. I thought the lovely, pessimistic Junpei of ZTD was a perfect precursor to old man Tenmyouji from VLR. You can see the same kind of "gently caress you" attitude in both, but 40 years post-apocalypse and raising an orphan did a lot to mellow him out and see what's really important. Though, IIRC, the Junpei and Akane we see from ZTD are heavily implied to not be the same ones from VLR (even comparing the VLR true end cloaked Akane vs. ZTD Akane), so there are obviously going to be changes.

This line and what someone else said above that ZTD isn't using a character perspective are probably the best explanations for me on why ZTD is so off putting. The point in the first two games is you're unraveling all these mysteries along side the MC. You don't get that with the teams split up in ZTD. And, more importantly, it isn't even a loving Nonary Game. You don't get the complex web of personal interactions. It's just Saw which isn't an inherently interesting concept.

Junpei being lovely and pessimistic is fine. Actively advocating for the murder of people and acting like a psychopath in general is different though. Especially since its been just over a year since the events of 999.

Also, the the Marty McFly stuff feels like the characters discussing the various conspiracy theories in the first game.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

No Wave posted:

Yes, and he was busy with other stuff before that and will be busy with other stuff afterwards too. Safest just to treat Ciconia as a 1 parter.

New thing by Danganronpa author releasing today on switch. Dont know anything about it but art style looks similar.

He basically stated at one point that Coronavirus completely hosed up the story he was going for and it doesn't really work anymore.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Do people even hate Zero Time Dilemma? If you look at the steam reviews its mostly has positive reviews while also mentioning it doesn't measure up to the previous two games.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

I still haven't even started Ciconia because I don't think I have it in me to start a WTC that's probably not going to get completed, but the discussion on the last page or so re: how COVID made the story not really work anymore made me really curious. Can someone give me a view-from-10,000-feet summary/pitch of the setting/plot? Like I'd call Umineko a study on mysteries, truth, love, and trauma and I'd call Higurashi gently caress, IDK, I like Hig but it doesn't seem nearly as cohesive thematically....

Nobody knows why it wouldn't work. It was just something Ryukishi07 said at some point. Something about how what he was planning to do with the story wouldn't work anymore. He didn't go into detail.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Steins;Gate is probably the best anime adaptation of a VN or at least in the top three. The problem is that VNs are usually too long for an anime, so important plot stuff has to get cut. (To be clear, a lot of VNs still could benefit from trimming, but its often too much). I honestly think the VN and the anime are at around the same level.

Steins;Gate 0 has a bunch of potentially interesting ideas, but it fails to follow through with them so it can have more slice of life poo poo. Also, the ending requires listening to a drama CD to feel complete. Oh and for some stupid reason, the very last line of the game is untranslated from Japanese unless they fixed that.

I liked Robotic;Notes, but it can be very slow paced at times and takes forever for the plot to really start moving.

Robotics; Note Dash is terrible though. Most of the routes suck, and the two best routes are non-canon. The game also has an adult character from Stein;Gate hang out with the cast of high schoolers/college freshmen with a poor justification and is really creepy about it. Oh, and they changed a character to want to be an idol and ignores what the character wanted to be in the first game. The entire thing is mostly just fanservice crap.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

woodenchicken posted:

Chaos;Head is one of the two entries in the series that I could just have skipped and not missed much. The other one being Anonymous;Code.

You are forgetting about Robotic;Notes Dash (and the bazillion Steins;Gate spin-offs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

0, for all its flaws, is still far better than it has any right to be, too.

I don't count 0 as a spin-off. Its a sidequel. 0 has some interesting things happening, which is why its so disappointing that the actual execution is so poorly handled.