Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Getsuya posted:

Mother Goose no Himitsu no Yakata Blue Label/Mother Goose`s Secret Mansion Blue Label is a VN where you are drawn into your own bookshelf. Girls representing (indirectly) the old nursery stories you used to love so much are waiting for you in a mysterious mansion. Turns out you can`t go back to the real world until you have re-awakened in your heart the love for rhymes you used to have. How do you do this? Why, by taking quizzes on rhymes of course!

CV: Kugimiya Rie, Hanazawa Kana, Tamura Yukari, Toyosaki Aki, Itou Kanae

sold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Episode 1 of MangaGamer's Higurashi-remake (new sprites, new translation, original music, no voice acting) is now available on Steam for $6 (-10% in the first week)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310360/

e: and by original music I mean the one music originally came with the game, not whatever garbage MangaGamer replaced it with in their first release.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 16, 2015

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'd rather have that generic art than the original sprites.

This release has both :haw:
You can also switch between japanese and english if you care about that.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Ugh, I see they still have that ugly UI in the bottom right hand corner. Assuming it's the same basic engine it might be possible to hide it by tinkering with the files.

There's an "auto hide user interface"-option that hides it unless you mouse into that corner.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

All games have doge memes now, welcome to the future of localization.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

And uh....what's the rewind/read previous text button (on the Vita)?

There are two button layouts. It was Triangle in the one I used, no idea about the other one.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

So anyway, VNs. Is there any news on when World End Economica 3 is coming out? I've been holding off playing the series for way too long now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/world-end-economica-complete/posts/1480223 posted:

So we'll first go with, yes we replaced translators again. The previous translator felt that they were not skilled enough to translate college level economic theory and making sure all the details were correct. This was in early January and we spent the month vetting a new group of three translators.

Our main translator from this group has worked in a bank in Japan and has certifications for Japanese (JLPT, JTEST, JETRO) and English (TOEIC, TOEFL). The other two will help fact check and double check the terminology used in the game and they too also have certifications for Japanese and English. This allows them to read field-specific reference materials and translate the terms accurately. They've spent January double checking the previously translated 8% and now have moved on to new content. As of today it is now 11%.

Prepare to wait some more.

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i liked the first WEE but i've held off on part 2 because it was localized by a different company who decided to do straight phonetic translation of character names (e.g. "cerrow" instead of "serrault") and it'll really irritate me.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/world-end-economica-complete/posts/1481590 posted:

We're also looking at budgeting this translation group to review episode.01 and episode.02 before we start working on the console port.

They might redo it, I guess?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Isn't there a visual novel dating simulator where it does the VLR thing of remembering what you did on previous play-throughs and having one of the girls flip out on your for restarting and trying to date someone else, so she ends up murdering you and deleting your save file?

I remember seeing a video of it on Youtube and it was really weird and messed up.

There is, it's Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi (often abbreviated as Totono)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Am I just reading to much time travel stuff, or do VN writers really love to explain special relativity?

Screenshot is from Island, made by the Front Wing. Seems like an anime and a western release of the game is in the works.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

There was a translated letter or something by Ryukishi, where he said that he specifically put in a scene of of Battler going "Ah, now I understand everything" into ep. 05 because many readers were like

psy_wombats posted:

To be honest though, there's so much junk going on in Umineko that it feels like theorycrafting is pointless because the next episode will just one-up the next anyways. I think just hanging on for the ride was more fun than overthinking it.

That scene was there specifically to signal "You have enough information to solve everything".

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Arguably it could be a lot of fun in a LP with people who have never read it before

Stuff like that never works because you always end up with the following types of people in the thread:
- People who actually haven't played it
- People who played it and who post spoilers as "speculation" just because they're assholes
- People who played it and don't *want* to spoil anything, but do so anyway by steering the discussion into certain directions because they know what's relevant and what isn't.

Eventually, someone in group 1 guesses a few right answers, then someone in group 3 accuses them of belonging to group 2, thus confirming that it's true and spoiling everyone.

The first Dangan Ronpa LP worked because it was totally unknown in the west before the LP, which wasn't true anymore for the second game. Another example would be the Rokka no Yuusha thread for the anime that aired last year.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Are there any visual novels that actually have voiced narration?

https://vndb.org/g836

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Is that Root Letter game supposed to be any good?

I bought it, but I haven't actually started playing it, because all the review were quite negative. You probably shouldn't expect too much.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think the game pauses on each of the subsequent ones except for the first ending. I looked very specifically when my wife played it to see if I missed an obvious cue to do the thing but I didn't, it just goes right past it on your first try (no icon or anything) so I think people would have to generally be pretty astute to not get the first ending.

Your "click to continue to the next line" cursor changes when you have the option to do something with your phone (call/send a message).

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah but does it on the very first ending trigger? I'm fairly sure it at least doesn't pause like the other ones do when you are skipping

We're talking about the point where it splits off to Suzuha's ending, right?

It has that icon and it dropped me out of skip mode. Maybe it's a bug in the english and/or Vita version? (Saves for the PC version don't work across languages, so I can't easily check).

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

http://steamcommunity.com/games/286260/announcements/detail/894345997988029146

quote:

Some of you already know but we and Sekai Project have been working on a second set of translations for milestone one that is 100% faithful to the original Japanese text. It is consistent with the tone of ms2a as well because they are both done now by the same person. This update has been in the works for a very long time now and we hope you all enjoy either a second read or the first more accurate dive into the world of fault.

Also very importantly, the original version is not gone! It will be forever saved on a branch where you can always revert to if you liked the first version. But from this point on, the author of the series, Munisix, considers the second version (the one that will be automatically downloaded when purchased by default) canon.

So they actually redid the translation for that game?
The original release was really weird. It wasn't really bad or the usual "translation vs localization" stuff, it was more like "here's an original fantasy story based on the same plot outline and characters" instead of a translation.
Like they completely replaced the magic system with something else, including the ingame encyclopedia entries for it. And they invented pseudo-german terms for everything, which was completely absent in the japanese original.

Speaking of which...I have a spare key for that game now. Does anyone want it?

Tamba fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 8, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It is, PM sent

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

That's way overselling it. The two translations aren't so different that you'd really notice, and you certainly wouldn't notice any inconsistency between 1 and 2a.

Looking into it a bit more, it seems to be a bit more complicated than that.
I played the game immediately when it came out, switching between the japanese and the english text, and there were large differences, especially when it came to the magic system, which used terms like "shift", "commit" and "bless" to describe the process of casting magic. They also had entries in the encyclopedia:

The current version looks like this though, which matches the current english version.

Maybe the original release of the game included an old version of the japanese script, while the english translation was already based on a more recent, heavily edited version of the japanese script that only got patched in at a later point?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Speaking of which does anyone have recommendations for untranslated games? Ideally one with voice acting to help.

Try these:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KnyyDt7jimEz-dgeMSKymRaT2r3QKBPm9AzqZ6oUWAs/pub

e: No idea why SubaHibi is in the second chart though, that one has some tricky parts.

edit2: There's also this thing an anon on /jp/ made. Sort by Hayashi 2, higher values are easier
https://vnscripts.neocities.org/stats.html

Tamba fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 5, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Speaking of S;G, I just got to the lab mem pizza party, and uh

I changed my mind can this go back to being a fun slice of life thing with an annoying eccentric high schooler protagonist :stonk:

Of course, that's the whole point of time travel. What could possibly go wrong?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

aren't explicit dating sim VNs pretty rare these days? like the ones which are actually about choosing what to do on a date

Yeah dating sim is a specific subgenre (the most well known are probably the Tokimeki Memorial series).
99% of the games called dating sims in the english speaking world really aren't, even if you end up dating one of the girls(or boys) in the end. Persona 4 is more of a "dating sim" than most visual novels.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 5, 2019

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

nabo posted:

Heya all, any words on Fatal Twelve ?? I heard it's good, but I also hear very little about it so...

It was okay, I guess?
The story was interesting enough, but I didn't really like how the writing relied on hiding information from the reader (both via convenient amnesia or just not telling you things the characters know), coincidences and characters behaving irrationally, to move the plot along.

There's a demo on steam, so give that a try if you want.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Raging Loop,

Edit 6: I'm so proud of Chiemi! That was a drat good case on Yasunaga. Also lol that Kaori tried killing everyone with wolfsbane. That's a bit on the nose, isn't it?

Also reading this right now, just got to the first ending (I'm assuming this is where the real game starts because I haven't seen any keys past that mandatory one at the beginning.)
About that spoilered part, that just seems to be a lucky coincidence with the translation. I'm reading it in japanese, and the kanji for that plant translates to birds head/birds helmet, no relation to wolves at all

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

e: I have no idea how it would ever possibly work but reading Umineko has me really wanting some kind of adversarial 2p tabletop RPG along the same lines

Tragedy Looper, maybe?
It's technically 1 vs 3, but a single person can play the 3 investigators.

e: oops, should have read the rest of the thread before replying

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

There was a message from the author somewhere, where he explains that all "fair" mystery novels have a scene where the detective goes "I've figured it out". This shows the reader that all necessary information has been presented and that the solution will be revealed soon, so if they want to figure it out themselves, they can do it now.
It was generally accepted that the first for chapters of Umineko would be the "question" arcs, and the following 4 the "answer" arcs, like he did with Higurashi, but since he was still seeing lots of posts to the tune of "don't bother, we don't have enough information yet", he decided to include this in episode 5.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

NIS does a ton of VNs and they never get localised and I've no idea why

Because VNs are relatively cheap to make, but expensive to localize, and they think it's not worth it for the amount of sales they expect to get.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

ymgve posted:

Not really. The games in Raging Loop are entirely fixed (but branch depending on your choices), so it doesn't have the "game" element of Gnosia.

It's still a great visual novel, though, but don't go into it with the premise that you will deduce the poo poo out of the games.

I wouldn't even call it "branch depending on your choices".
The choices that lead to the other branches are locked until you reach certain points, so while the path looks like a tree, it's actually completely linear with a handful of instances of "you can do A, B or C in any order, but you need to do all 3 of them to unlock the choice that continues the story.

(japanese to minimize spoilers)
The path down the left continues the story. To see it, you need to unlock 05,06 and 07, and 07 itself is locked behind 05 and 06

Tamba fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 2, 2021

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nyoro posted:

Hell of a deal on the two spirit hunter games

They're vns right?

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/spirit-hunter-double-pack

They're on vndb, so they count as VNs :v:
Unless you're one of those people who insist that the Ace Attorney games are not VNs, I guess.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

mrfreeze posted:

Holy poo poo Loopers is kind of a rip off at how much they sold it for. The game is only around 10 hours long and I kept waiting for a big twist or subversion of expectations and it never happens. Like I was sure the credit roll would be a fake out and ok now here's the rest of the story type thing it was such a let down.

Less than that even. The average on vndb is 7 hours, including one "full auto" playthrough that was submitted with 6h27m.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 7, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

gegi posted:

except I don't actually know what "K3" refers to.

https://vndb.org/v5844

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

mrfreeze posted:

Holy poo poo Loopers is kind of a rip off at how much they sold it for. The game is only around 10 hours long and I kept waiting for a big twist or subversion of expectations and it never happens. Like I was sure the credit roll would be a fake out and ok now here's the rest of the story type thing it was such a let down.

Speaking of short games that might not be rip-offs: I got ATRI -My Dear Moments- because it's on sale on Steam for 10€ right now and it's fun so far.
I haven't hit the drama yet (and there's no way there won't be, when you have a robot girl who keeps counting down to a specific date), but I'd already say that the game was worth that price.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Chaos Head

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

woodenchicken posted:

Is there some kind of breakdown as to who did what?

Hayashi Naotaka: Hana route, most of the common route delusion triggers

Takimoto Masashi: Common route (chapter 8, chapter 9 first half), Nono route

Tanizaki Ouka: Uki route, Nono route help

Umehara Eiji: Common route (chapters 1-2, chapter 9 second half, chapters 10-11), true route

Yasumoto Tooru: Common route (chapters 3-7), Hinae route, Nono route, Uki route

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

so I "finished" Steins Gate! well, I got to an ending. Okabe and Suzuha getting into the time machine at the end of chapter 6. I'm aware that there are 10 chapters and many different endings. Does the plot have significantly different routes, or is it just the endings where the story diverges?

I will play through to chapter 10 at least once but, if it's all the same apart from the endings then I'll probably just watch most of them on YouTube

The plot does what's called a "ladder" structure where it's linear with specific points where you can ignore the main plot and get off the ladder and see a character's ending instead.

(Os opposed to the Common Route into Character Route split)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

There some kind of Visual Novel Fest going on at Steam this week.