Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

FractalSandwich posted:

Well, they would. Everyone who buys it gets exactly what they want out of it. So in that sense it's close to perfect, unfortunately.

I mean, it's exactly what it says on the tin, with decent production values, at a reasonable price. You wouldn't think just that would set it apart from everything else, but when you look at the other stuff available....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Higurashi is great, but it's split up into Question and Answer arcs, with 1-4 being Question and 5-8 being Answer, so while you could enjoy them you will have mostly questions and very few answers. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from picking them up but if you do I wouldn't plan on finishing them on Steam before 2020 at this release rate. They did previously release the entire series in English but I think that might not be available for sale anymore (due to complaints hence the redone Steam versions)

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I've heard The Devil on G-String and World End Economica are pretty good but I haven't gotten around to them myself yet

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Ryoshi posted:

I also picked up Higurashi ch 1 but it hasn't grabbed me yet so far (midway through ch2, I think) - the protagonist is somehow more unlikeable than Rintaro, and the sprites are bland and awful (the less said about the original sprites the better.) Is it really worth sticking out?

The author is kind of master of slow boring starts. It's very good as a whole work, just the beginning of the beginning is a particular low point.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
According to the devlog patrons were originally supposed to have music preferences so you might get some extra story bits or better tips based on what you played. I'm not sure if that feature ended up staying in, though, there was supposed to be a shuffle button too :(

edit: v cool thanks!

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 22, 2016

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Rollersnake posted:

Is there anything in Zero Time Dilemma that is really going to win me over if I thought the first two Zero Escape games were decent at best? I feel like after Virtue's Last Reward there's nowhere interesting or surprising they could go with the story, but I'd like to be proven wrong. Also, how are the puzzles?

It might surprise you but not necessarily in an interesting way

I liked it pretty well but VLR is still my favorite so if you didn't love VLR you'll probably also think this one is ehh

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Endorph posted:

To a certain extent, I can understand not wanting to devalue your brand, but when you can buy Steins;Gate in japan for somewhere around 1650 yen if you know where to look (roughly $16), it feels a little disingenuous.

Yeah it also leads to fun things like songs with the theme of "going out into the world" not being available outside of Japan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbTTnwUS37Y

I think as a company they do want to expand but are very very paranoid about losing the ability to price gouge their Japanese base (because foreigners = cheap versions & piracy)

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Cake Attack posted:

either way, the ending to umineko is perfect, and if anyone disagrees with me i'll act like im cool with it but secretly be real mad

:same:

also higurashi is billed as a horror story and umineko as a murder mystery & they do have big elements of those but I'd put them in entirely different genres for the finished pieces

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Alder posted:

MM doesn't make much sense even after I cleared all the routes. I can't recommend it since it's a huge pain to re-play due to the IAP and TL.

I have no idea if anything ever makes sense or not but I enjoyed my two weeks of being really gay "friends" with Jaehee

I think it's a better experience to play mostly in realtime though you wouldn't want to do that after one or two routes I guess

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 16, 2016

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
The problem is Ryukishi tries to write like this: here are your people, spend time with them so you care about them and then you will be like OH poo poo when poo poo goes down

Unfortunately the effect is basically lost if you already know bad things are gonna happen and hate slice-of-life, unless you make it through to the actual development parts and then re-read and cry about your precious suffering buds

That said, while I'd never recommend anyone watch the Umineko anime, the Higurashi is pretty serviceable and much less annoying of an introduction to the series. It's not the definitive work, but if you get through it and like it you might then want to look into bg stuff and the VN again

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That's largely how Japanese writers as a whole write. Ryukishi got much better at it over time for sure. Umineko is written pretty differently compared to Higurashi. It also had a slow start, but practically everything it does in its early stages is world building that is all relevant to the game's story. It all has a purpose, none of it feels wasted. With Higurashi, it's largely irrelevant slice of life stuff just for the sake of building a mood and trying to get the readers attached to the characters. It's very forced. Umineko built the proper mood and introduced the characters and the world much more organically.

I mean, I don't disagree that the content in Umineko was more relevant but the problem with both is the heavy front-loading

There's a part in ep 1 Umineko that's probably a half hour of content that gets condensed to 18 seconds in the anime

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
It's hard to respond to speculation posts without ruining anything but I love reading them & I hope other new readers will chime in :)

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Cake Attack posted:

this, in the god drat visual novel thread

no home for anime

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

unpronounceable posted:

Has anyone played Cinders? It's one I've had my eye on for a while, but never actually pulled the trigger on.

As for western VNs I've actually played, I consider To The Moon to be close enough to a VN. There's also Juniper's Knot that I quite enjoyed.

Yeah, I like Cinders and thought it was pretty good. They're not quite the same but a lot of things in the VN/point and click adventure/first person narrative/IF space I feel like are basically enjoyable for similar reasons.

There might be more good western VNs but they're nearly always made on a budget of pocket lint, which usually means at least the visuals suffer (or editing, or sound design, or voice acting if it even exists), making people not really want to take a chance on them.

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 9, 2017

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
The Umineko manga is quite good from what I hear and a viable way to experience the story (unlike the anime)

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
umineko is loosely inspired by And Then There Were None and is a complex rich people family drama murder mystery epic with a healthy dose of the supernatural, comedy, romance and everything but the kitchen sink

if i had to pin down the tone overall it's fairly sombre but it's so long it has plenty of bright bits and if you like something like danganronpa or steins you'll probably like it. it's a bit of a slow burn at the start with family politics and such and the deeper themes tend to be more mature overall just with half the cast being Serious Adults but it's still fun and crazy and wild and sad and heartbreaking and worth the ride

i also agree on the sprites, i prefer the original ones (not the ones on steam) but the ps3 ones you can patch in are fine as well and you can also patch it to be fully voiced with the voices from the ps3 version too

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 20, 2018

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Alder posted:

I find certain stories offensive not b/c of their content but how poorly MC are treated by ppl who claim to be their friends/LI/support. At the same time I realize no one wants to read 100 pages of a happy but boring relationship.

dmboogie posted:

It's only like half-otome but I'll take a moment to plug Magical Diary while we're on the subject; it pokes fun at Harry Potter wizard school poo poo while simultaneously being kind of a love letter to it, the actual magic parts are surprisingly fun and in-depth and the characters are all p. endearing. There is one fukken asshat guy, but he is intentionally written to be Bad and is treated as such in-universe.

It's worth noting here that trying to play Magical Diary like a regular otome actually ended up triggering me severely because of most likely that route. If you try to romance the demon dude bc surely your twu wuv will save him, not only does he just kinda straight manipulate you and use you and try to kill you, but also all of your friends and basically the entire school become completely disgusted with you and treat you like garbage because you obviously deserve contempt for being in an abusive relationship. While I guess they were going for shooting down those tropes and making it clear this isn't love, uhh.... big loving misfire IMO and I have really mixed feelings about playing their games now

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Ytlaya posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you guys, Krauss is obviously the best Ushiromiya.

this person has a season pass to Delsneyland

The opening of Umineko can be interesting or super boring depending how much you like rich ppl family politics and sniping but it really is a much richer read the second time around. Obviously I'm not suggesting people read the billion hour game twice when they're just starting, but if you end up connecting with it I think you'd be quite happy with a re-read a few years down the line. It's also supremely fun to get people into it and have them liveblog or give impressions as they go

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

voltcatfish posted:

while i still hold a certain level of fondness for the original sprite facial expressions I think we can all agree the pachinko art is fuckin shiiit

Yeah the original art is made by the author who knows & cares for the characters even if it’s not skilled & the ps3 art is made by a competent company but the pachinko/Steam art is just... :cry:

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Tbf the higurashi ones aren’t as glaringly bad as the umineko ones since iirc they were commissioned separately

v yeah the higurashi ones are basically on par with the ps2 ones

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 27, 2018

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Yeah don't worry about it too much, it's a "mystery" in the sense of there are mystery trappings but it tends to other genres more later & you're not going to have actually spoiled the whole thing unless you started reading detailed character summaries or something (& even then I still think it would be well worth the read)

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 11, 2018

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I feel like I have a super different read on the characters of Umineko compared to some here :allears: but I think that's part of what makes it a great novel. Like, you can structure a whole course around Harry Potter or GoT but they've got nothing on this.

specifically I'm just looking at that re-read tumblr linked, I think it's a fun analysis and they raise some good points but I really disagree with a lot of their specific reads so far

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 15, 2018

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Ytlaya posted:

The vast majority of the way the seacats blog interprets Umineko is correct, as ultimately made "official" by the manga (though it was pretty clear even before that once you've read it with the right ideas in mind). Specifically, its read of the characters' motivations/circumstances (etc) is all spot-on.

Umineko is probably one of the only things I've read where "you need to read carefully with the right ideas in mind to properly understand it" is true without the underlying work being pretentious or overly complex.

(Also, just in case I should mention that the poster who mentioned the 10 hour YouTube videos was - hopefully - kidding. That whole theory is one of the funniest things to come from Umineko.)

I'm talking about their reads on various' characters' personality and thoughts which are certainly not something you can have a one true idea on. I think it's actually really bizarre to promote a couple people's personal re-read thoughts as "the one correct interpretation of an 80+ hour layered work + supplemental materials." It's full of extremely specific line by line reads that are colored by their personal interpretation of a character. They literally call themselves goats and I don't think that's wrong, because a lot of their analysis feels like it's missing love for all but one or two characters (and the interpretations of those are also weirdly inconsistent). There's a difference between re-reading with the culprit and motivation in mind and re-reading going line by line "this is further evidence this person is stupid/trash/fake/selfish/hateful/whatever else".

I also think anyone who calls it a deeply cynical work is really missing the heart completely.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Meallan posted:

It's still possible to have different reads in terms of personal character interpretations that can change a lot depending on your own morals etc

But the goats do get a lot of things right (maybe everything?) in terms of characters reasoning/what was really going on.

I'm definitely not arguing against that (at least, mostly not).

vv I agree with that totally.

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 17, 2018

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I mean, off the top of my head, they aren’t just negative about George, they literally read *every single interaction* he ever has, line by line, as arrogant and passive aggressive & fake

I can’t get into the other things that really set me off without going into spoilers I’m not comfortable putting in a thread with active readers, even when spoiler tagged. In particular I really violently disagree with the idea that some people realistically have no chance at happiness & I don’t believe that the story makes that point at all. But I would appreciate it if you stopped acting like I’m stupid or misunderstanding something because I disagree with a random person’s psychoanalysis of fictional characters. I literally started out saying that the fact people can have very different takes is a GOOD thing. I’m not trying to change your mind, I just think it’s bullshit to act like everyone has to feel the same way.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think they maybe over-interpret stuff a little too much but they're generally right about the character personalities. George absolutely gets off on feeling superior to others. And he definitely has some long-standing resentment towards Battler over Sayo, though that doesn't mean that every time he teases Battler, he's doing it from a place of pure hatred or anything. He's not a sociopath. His sense of superiority and niggling resentment intermingles with his genuine love and compassion for his cousins.

Yeah but they do that constantly. In general for some of the characters they have bitch eating crackers syndrome. There's a difference between him being arrogant and trying to look good and... whatever they're reading into things like him telling Battler not to confuse Maria, or implying that he's undermining Rosa by humoring her, etc etc. There's almost this thread of like, "everyone is bad and equally bad" and bad stuff that he does knowingly is you know, pretty minimal compared to slapping your kid around or murdering everyone. Battler gets the read like he's stupid and oblivious but George gets read as cold and calculating in a way I genuinely believe he is not. And I think they overreach a lot of the time when they get into what a character is feeling in a specific moment as opposed to their overall motivations.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
(All of the following are spoilers that go all the way through the end of Umineko so no peeking if you didn't finish it)

I think part of what I'm really responding to there is this post by someone responding to akatokuro and using their analysis as a basis for comments like Naq va gur raq, V unir gb nfx zlfrys: jung tbbq qbrf vg ernyyl qb, gb haqrefgnaq gung fhssrevat, ohg abg gb xabj ubj gb fgbc vg? Vs V pbhyq tb gb Ebxxrawvzn va 1986 naq gnyx gb Lnfh, jung pbhyq V fnl gb ure? “V ernyyl haqrefgnaq ubj lbh srry, V ernyyl frr jul lbh srry ubcryrff naq V qba’g oynzr lbh sbe vg ng nyy, V haqrefgnaq jul lbh srry yvxr gurer’f ab ubcr yrsg sbe lbh, naq ubarfgyl, V nterr gung lbh pna’g or fnirq”? or things like akatokuro saying "naq v trg fb, fb shpxvat shevbhf jvgu uvz rirel gvzr ur “phgryl” cynlf nybat jvgu uvf tveysevraq yvgrenyyl pnyyvat urefrys n fhouhzna bowrpg gung v jnag gb fpernz va uvf snpr" be "ur jnf n crefba jub qryvorengryl shpxvat gjvfgrq gur xavsr va n gjryir lrne byq tvey’f oebxra urneg orpnhfr fur qvqa’g tvir uvz gur nggragvba ur sryg ragvgyrq gb, xabjvat gung fur unq gb cynl nybat jvgu uvz orpnhfr fur unq ab cbjre gb qvfnterr jvgu uvz be rira fubj ubj uheg fur jnf, naq fzvyrq juvyr ur qvq vg. vg’f uneq sbe zr gb bireybbx orpnhfr vg fubjf n pncnpvgl sbe n irel pnyphyngrq pehrygl naq ivaqvpgvirarff naq nohfvat cbjre ntnvafg fbzrbar jub qvqa’g qb nalguvat jebat." jura yvxr, gur svefg vf bhg bs gbgny vtabenapr naq gur frpbaq vf fbzrguvat ur qvq nf n fuvggl grra

naljnl V nterr gung vg'f vaperqvoyl haqrefgnaqnoyr sbe Lnfh gb unir sryg gung guvf jnf gur bayl jnl ohg V qba'g nterr jvgu n ybg bs gur cbvagf jurer gurl'er yvxr "guvf guvat evtug urer boivbhfyl znqr ure srry yvxr fur unq gb qvr". vg srryf yvxr n qrrc, qrrc bireernpu vagb ure zbfg crefbany gubhtugf fbzrgvzrf. naq gurl bsgra znxr ure vagb n jrveq jbbovr pnevpngher ng gur fnzr gvzr fbzrubj.

naq V qba'g nterr gung gur jbex birenyy fubjf ure nf orvat evtug. bar bs gur gurzrf bs uvthenfuv jnf gung gur unccvarff gung lbh svtug sbe guebhtu oybbq, fjrng, & grnef vf gur bar gung znggref. V guvax pbzzragf yvxr "gurer jnf ab erny ubcr sbe ure" ner vaperqvoyl qnzntvat naq qnatrebhf. fur pbhyqa'g oryvrir va n jnl bhg. ohg znal crbcyr pna'g, jvgubhg fgrccvat vagb gur terngre jbeyq, jvgubhg svaqvat na nyyl. fbzrgvzrf trggvat guebhtu gur qnexarff vf nobhg oryvrivat va fbzrguvat lbh unir ab rivqrapr sbe.

V yvxrq jung guvf cbfg unq gb fnl nobhg vg, ortvaavat jvgu "Ohg nsgre univat cebcreyl pbagrkghnyvmrq Lnfh’f fvghngvba, V’ir xvaq bs pbzr gb gur pbapyhfvba gung vg’f npghnyyl fnlvat pbzcyrgr bccbfvgr. Naq va n jnl gung V sbhaq n yvggyr urnegjnezvat. " uggc://ehevanqrfcnvef.ghzoye.pbz/cbfg/83825129286/bxnl-v-guvax-vgf-gvzr-sbe-nabgure-ubeevoyr

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Meallan posted:

Oh definitely. I actually went through umineko relatively well but find myself unable to get even 70% of the people I recommended it to to pass the first 2h. Some people will but I bet it loses a lot of people.

the boat is just so insufferable the first couple hours needed an editor so badly

i did like how all of that got reduced to approximately 18 seconds in the anime.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

dmboogie posted:

unironically, this is one of the worst things the anime did

i thought it served as a good example of just how condensed it is and how much you're missing out on by just watching!

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I like Valhalla but you can see folks here are very divided on it and really vocal about it. I’m pretty sure there’s a demo out there if anyone’s curious. Probably it does better with folks who love dog memes, Miku, referential humor, some sex comedy movie type raunchiness, fake websites, etc. So the intended audience may skew somewhat younger than the kind of stuff people like here. Think like Homestuck or Danganronpa if they were a slice of life dating game in a cyberpunk bar (though it’s not a dating game at all, the nature of long one on one convos feels similar)

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with catgirls or camgirls :shrug: not everything has to be high art

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Don’t put words in my mouth dude, I’m not arguing against strong characters? I clearly meant you’re not going to find catgirls in high art so why would you expect something amazing out of something with a catgirl on the store page

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Stella is about as deep as Faris NyanNyan, which is to say not very much at all, & I dunno why that’s a shocker

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I can’t see why people who are allergic to anime-rear end anime would even bother picking up Valhalla in the first place

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I liked it and you don’t and that’s okay

For the record though despite its shortcomings and marketing it’s not a harem type thing it’s just “hang out with goofy weirdos, who we think you will find mostly cute”

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 19, 2018

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Nate RFB posted:

The portrait artwork should always be different, unless it was changed up in the PS3 releases. It always looked noticeably better than obviously Ryukishi07's original designs, and the terrible Stream-only sprites came way later.

As for Beato she has a smile that is worth protecting

Everyone comes around to it, eventually

Oh my god the mug on that mug is amazing

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Regarding the Umineko domestic abuse stuff discussed, as someone who has witnessed domestic abuse first hand growing up (albeit not directed towards me), I felt a lot of painfully resonant notes in Rosa's relationship with Maria, which you don't usually see in entertainment fiction. I definitely feel it was handled fairly well, at least compared to anything else I've read.

Yeah I pretty much felt the same way.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Yeah man I'm just not really sure at this point what you're gonna get out of the rest of it Dessel cause I had just fundamentally different reactions. Although the series could have really used an editor to tighten things up there's very little I'd actually remove or do differently besides some of ep4 and 6... the comedy and fight scenes really break up the gloom and have a lot of interesting character moments... & to me Beatrice's VA is just absolutely phenomenal. It took a bit to adjust my internal voice for her but she's so perfect & I got to meet her at an autograph session for a different project once and she was so jazzed I liked Beatrice :3:

e: eh i think everyone knows beatrice is a character at this point we post her sprites enough, who needs spoiler tags

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 10, 2018

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Despite cliffhangers and dropped plot threads VLR is definitely my favorite by far, though all of the games are at least decent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I honestly didn't care much for ep6, but ep7 is fantastic once you power through it

I also suspect I'd find it more interesting on re-read