Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

oblomov posted:

Man, the art seems generic as hell here... well, some of it is just terrible. At least there will be Steins;Gate on the Vita, may double dip for that.

The terrible art is the original art. The generic stuff is the new art. Higurashi and Umineko are some of the better VNs out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Am I really going to have to be the first to mention the Muv Luv kickstarter? They're releasing on Steam, so the All-Ages version will be available in English for the first time. drat good reason to go through it again next year.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'm just happy most of the content other than the actual two games are going to be translated. I've heard bad things about Total Eclipse, but I'm still hopeful that it gets translated soon.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cannot wait for part 2 of Higurashi coming out tonight. Part 1 was excellent, and I can't wait to see how they deal with the time loop situation happening. I'm glad I can go into it blind, because the mystery has been interesting. I bet It's got nothing to do with the main question being asked, supernatural powers or the acts of people, but on the other hand if it didn't have anything to do with it then maybe it'd come off as a bit cheap. Just a few more hours left though!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah, when I first heard about it I thought it was about a plague or something. Not crazy people drugging other people and then they murder eachother with a baseball bat then commit suicide in a phone booth.

So far, I preferred what I played of Umineko (Only halfway through chapter 3) because the characters were a bit more interesting and the narrative device was a bit more interesting post chapter 1. Higurashi probably doesn't use a similar style, and I'm expecting Less Groundhog Day, more Endless Eight but with significant changes in key events. A mystery just for the player, not for the characters involved.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Higurashi is great and anyone who hasn't played it yet owes it to themselves to get it now. It absolutely nails the feeling of paranoia and distrust in a way that hits home pretty hard. Still have no clue about what the solution to the mystery is, but its been a pretty great ride up until now.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah it actually worked great, the music kinda stuttered every 15-30 seconds for a half second or so but I think that might just be because I use an ipad 3 which is getting kinda long in the tooth, I played for a little bit the other day on my iphone 6 and it didn't have any problems.

This was on local network though, I don't know how well it would work over the internet, depends on your connection I guess

I used an iPad 1 and it was fine for it, totally smooth. Its entirely the network, even LAN.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

You should play Ever 17, there's a lot of slog but its really quite good. And Chaos;Head is great at first but really nosedives in quality towards the end.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Heavy neutrino posted:

Thanks; I've been interested in Higurashi after a ton of people recommended it (and the author's next work, Umineko) to me on account of my love for Zero Escape but I wasn't sure it was worth just playing through the first two episodes, especially if the publisher sticks to their optimistic schedule of one release per actual real-world cicada season.

I think it's worth it. It's my first time through Higurashi, and the space between the chapters has actually been what's let me actually keep pace with it compared to Umineko. With this, it's an 8 hour chunk every few months broken up quite nicely. Unfortunately with Umineko, I got halfway through chapter 3 and now feel no great urge to pick up in the middle of a story. It's also easier to talk about when its only up to a certain point.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I now have an excuse to go through Umineko. :yeah:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Root Double was extremely good at building suspense and mysteries, and pretty bad at delivering the payoffs. I don't know what to think of it, tbh.

I just finished Route A. It was pretty great, loved every bit of it. SSS would've been better if they had said what "sense" a high value was compared to a lower one. I don't like the route structure though, especially now I've gotten every ending for Route A and all the epilogue flags. It kinda feels like its finished but there was no closure at all. If it had flowed straight into B, then I feel the pacing wouldn't have been thrown off. Also I hated how every time you got a bad end you had to go through that long splash of "Game Over" and load back in. Bit too slow for my taste.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The first half are the "Question" arcs. The mystery isn't explained in these chapters, you're just left to wonder :wtc: is going on. I'd say its well worth it, having made it halfway through Chapter 3 before suddenly being busy and not keeping up with it.

Also, I'm through the first day of the Before route in Root Double and am not really feeling it. The ages of the characters are all sorts of wonky, I thought that Louise would be at least 17 or 18 judging by her combat proficiency with that fire axe that a grown man might struggle to handle, let alone a 13 year old kid. Still, the atmosphere's pretty nice and relaxing after the tension of the After route.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The updated ones are bad, but arent as bad as the originals. Wait for a PS3 and voice mod.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I've only read up to the end of Chapter 2, and I'm guessing that it is a curse linked to the woman from the start of chapter 1 apologizing. Something about not accepting apologies causes a curse, and if that one thing is fixed then everything is fine? Alternatively, blame the shrine priestess and her friend for murdering literally everyone related to them.

I'm quite excited for the Psycho Pass VN, written by Gen Urobochi himself. I've heard very good things, and we get it in English on PS4 and Vita September 13th or thereabouts.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Best thing about Root Double is that the protagonists are voiced. Even though I wasn't so keen on the Before route at first, now I just leave it on auto and imagine its a chill slice of life series with a slightly more interesting setting. I don't know any of the nuances of Japanese voice acting, but the voices in this are pretty good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The more of Root Double that I read just shows how much of a Yuuri ex machina it is, and only Kindred Spirits on the Roof is allowed to feature Yuuri ex machina.

Also I saw that Sunrider Liberation Day has gotten a DLC and apparently its pretty good. Has anyone actually tried it? I thought the first two were fairly enjoyable for free games, even if they weren't actually good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

Is there anywhere that has a good spoiler free (of the future chapters) recap of what happened in the first two chapters of Higurashi? My memory of them is blurry as it has been over a year since I read the first chapter and over half a year since I read the second. I don't want to Google this on my own as I will probably run into spoilers.

I'd watch the first 6 episodes of the anime for a quick recap. They're spoiler free for the future chapters.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Definitely pick them up as they come out. It's great having this gap, and when all the Question arcs are out read everything again and try to find out the truth before the Answer arcs are released.

Also I'm halfway through Tatarigoshi and I don't want bad things to happen. Can we just have a nice and happy chapter?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Near the end of Higurashi chapter 3, and I think I've figured it out.

It isnt a question of curse or man, but rather a question of sanity. Is Keiichi insane, or is Hinamizawa?

It isnt much, but re-reading the first two chapters with this mindset might make clues seem obvious.

E: Nevermind, :wtc: was that ending.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 20, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

There are a lot of questions to be answered:

1) Shion killed herself in both chapters 2 and 3. Why?
2) What is with that syringe seen in chapters 1 and 2?
3) What is the timeline of these chapters? When do they diverge (presuming they do)?
4) Some characters personalities seem to differ between chapters. For example, Ooishi was nice in chapter 1, OK in chapter 2, and a real dick in chapter 3. Why?
5) What happened to Satoko's uncle's corpse?
6) Why did Keichi claw his throat out in chapter 1?
7) How was Keichi seen at Watanagashi in chapter 3?
8) What happened with Coach, Tokano, and Ooishi in chapter 3?
9) What are the "footsteps," given we throw out the hallucination hypothesis?
10) What happened at the end of chapter 2 with Keichi?
11) Generally, how are Mion and Rena triggered to be in "crazy mode." Both Rena and Mion are triggered late chapters 1 and 3, but only Mion is in chapter 2. Why?
12) Who exactly are responsible for the previous killings? In particular, did Satoshi kill the Aunt?
13) What happened to Satoshi?

I probably won't read any responses to my speculation, as I like to figure things out on my own, and I'm afraid of answers disguised as speculation.

I'm in the exact same boat as you, and I agree with your theory of Keichi's perceptions being the main point of contention. I don't think he's insane anymore, just stupid.

As for your questions, I think the answers are fairly obvious:
1- In Chapter 2, her sister was a mad killer and tortured her half to death. Her reason for committing suicide there is clear. In Chapter 3, all of Hinamizawa straight up died. I'm guessing it's related to shoving a motorbike into the swamp.
2- The syringe likely contains a drug that induces a frenzied state. Probably has a sister drug for calming? I say that because I think Rika owns it (I think she used it in chapter 2 against Mion but lost in the fight?) and it might be for ritual purposes.
3- The timeline is all kinds of messy, since it's always a small number of days before the Watanagashi followed by another few days after the Watanagashi. Chapter 3 probably has the narrowest timeline while Chapter 1's the loosest.
4- The circumstances differed between chapters, I think that the characters behaved similarly. Ooishi was only nice when Keiichi was a valuable lead. He was not as useful or helpful in Chapter 3, in fact he was a key suspect.
5- It's likely that it's the Sonozaki's who cleaned everything up to protect Keiichi.
6- The drug I'd say. It might be ecstasy, since that causes feelings of thirst. An exceptionally dry throat?
7- The only other reliable person in Chapter 3, Satoko, did not see Keiichi at the festival. Rena and Mion are unreliable. This is because we know they have dark sides to them. Potentially this is why Rika died in Chapter 3.
8- I'm thinking it's the Sonozakis keeping pressure off of Keiichi. Only Mion knew exactly what he was going to do, and potentially put him under surveillance. Coach may have just had his drink swapped with the one planned for Keiichi.
9- The footsteps could be Sonozaki agents tailing Keiichi.
10 - At the end of Chapter 2, Keiichi was killed by what he believed to be the phantom of Mion. Maybe he killed himself, since he felt personally guilty for the deaths of Rika and Satoko for triggering Mion's hostility.
11- Rena is easily controlled by Mion, so can be used at will under the pretense of Oyashiro-sama's curse, even if she is aware that is controlled by the Sonozakis (I think she knows). She didnt get triggered in Chapter 2 since those killings were Mion's actions, not the Sonozaki's.
12 and 13- Satoshi likely was shadowed in the same way Keiichi was in Chapter 3. Either the Sonozakis got rid of him (The toy shop is owned by them) or Ooishi found him and even though he lacked evidence, he acted like he did and may have pressured him into suicide to protect Satoko.

Anyhow, in non-Higurashi related talk: VA-11 Hall-A is mediocre and I would not recommend it, but Grisaia 2 is coming out tomorrow and should be pretty fun.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

My issue with it is that the soundtrack, while good, requires you to manually shuffle it. Could the developers not decide what tracks would work best in these situations, and can I not just hit shuffle on all of them? Also while the writing seems okay, there's no real point to the actual game as bartending is stupidly easy and kinda boring. Nice art and music, but it feels kinda half arsed.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

That is true, but the bartending part of the game is the game. Everything else is window dressing. I don't want to have to sort through the songs and have to learn their names for what is at most an 8-10 hour game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

dmboogie posted:

There is a shuffle button, actually. Just click the jukebox button while you're bartending.

Not for the whole soundtrack though.

The characters do pick up after a while though. It's an okay game. Grisaia's out by the way, and is the same price as the last one. Bit silly considering it's meant to be about half as long if even that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

John Lee posted:

Why the heck are you in the Visual Novel thread?

Good visual novels don't need tacked on gameplay. If the tacked on gameplay is bad, it's a bad visual novel. The game this is closest to is Phoenix Wright, and Phoenix Wright is always at its worst when you're hunting for pixels and searching for evidence. This game is worst when you're making drinks. The issue is that this game is about making drinks whereas Phoenix Wright is about court cases. There are things other than the bad gameplay. Also they make you click a hell of a lot and there's no auto-scroll option that I can find.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

SweetBro posted:

Matter of perspective imo. The original was like 40-50 hours long depending on how fast you read. 15 of which was arguably the common route. Considering that the common route should obviously be shorter since you've already been introduced to all of the character, I don't think that this is such a bad deal since I rather not have to read through a bunch of uninteresting fluff. Maybe it's not as good of a value proposition as the first one, but I don't think 20-25 hours for $40 is a bad value either. poo poo, that's less than what a new audio-book of that length would cost.

Eh, I just think this one in particular is more worthy of people waiting for a sale than with the first. I still bought it anyway though so :shrug:.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah, the SSS settings for Root Double felt kinda arbitrary at places. Would've rather have had choices or being able to set moods instead of slide a scale.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Stexils posted:

i liked the SSS settings because it uses them in clever and not immediately obvious ways for a lot of choices that would have lost impact if you could have just selected the choice from a menu. like for example the scene where they're arguing with ena about the gun, if there was a menu choice of "support ena/support jun/support ukita/split up the gun" the correct answer would be obvious, but with the SSS system you have to think "if i back one person over the others when tensions are running high it could easily lead to a deadly fight, so i better do something that doesn't favor any one party" and set the meters equal. it would have been easy to be lazy with the choices but most of the game is good about making you consider how to get the ideal result, my beef is that some of the sections make it too easy

That was a drat good scene, but if there were just say three options (Positive, neutral, negative) itd still do the same and would be easier to evaluate.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Loved the concept and the world, but the characters are a little on the weak side. Its enjoyable, but not great.

Also Grisaia 2 is a ripoff due to how half of it is just fan service and the other half is just backstory followed by the worst cliffhanger. Bet Grisaia 3 is really good, but since they chopped half of it off for this I bet its similarly short.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Hey, Baldr Sky Drive is being localised. Considering the second game is up there with Muv Luv Alternative and Steins Gate at #3 on VNDB, I'm somewhat excited.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Anyone here read Rewrite? Finishing up Root Double, and since the anime is airing I thought it's probably the best time to start. Should also stop putting off Umineko Chapter 3. Then again, Muv Luv is releasing on steam on the 15th and I've been hankering to re-read it.

...I was also halfway through VLR before my Vita got stolen, so I've got that to finish before getting through the new one. There are lots of visual novels.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Alder posted:

After playing a super disappointing otoge which shall not be named I'm looking for games where you just can befriend people instead of dating.

Befriending people is rather rare, but Little Busters is just the absolute best for that under the traditional visual novel formula. A lot of the Tokimeki Memorial games also have Best Friend routes if you just hang out with your buddies instead of dating the opposite gender. A lot of VNs have really good befriending throughout the entire common route, but when it gets to the forced romance it can be annoying. G-Senjo no Maou (The Devil on the G String) was probably the best for that, since the choices you make outside of really obvious big turning points are just for flavour and being buddies.

Root Double has a good focus on friends and interaction, but it does have clearly pre-set relationships (No "X's Route", it's one story). However, judging by your list of played games, all these previous suggestions may have been a little too non-interactive.

999 : Nine Persons, Nine Doors, Nine Hours is great and you can emulate it easily on PC. That's primarily about who you choose to buddy with + puzzle rooms. Its sequel, Virtues Last Reward is also really good and available on PS Vita. The latest one, Zero Time Dilemma, is available on pretty much anything. Maybe these will be right up your alley?

E:

Alder posted:

Hmm--is this a bishoujo game? I haven't played one for awhile.

Little Busters is by Key, the makers of Clannad, Kanon and Air. It's similar in structure to those. You play as Highschool Guy and are surrounded by cute girls and the best bros. It's very well done and is my personal favourite of Key's games (though I've only just started Rewrite, which many people claim to be their favourite)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I don't think we ever actually have gotten one officially, just fan patches.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

John Lee posted:

Little Busters had cute girls in it? Let me try and remember...

Oh come on, it had probably the most cutesy and annoying character in a Key game. One very good female bro though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I can't bloody be bothered with Rewrite right now. The start's fairly flat and the world isn't that interesting to me. I suppose I'll just re-read Little Busters since that's the current topic of discussion.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Goddamnit visual novels why are you killing my wallet.

Also, Root Double is really rather disappointing and just a tad lazy, since (major spoilers) Natsuhiko coming to terms with Yuuri being dead is such a big deal, so why the heck would they just say "Oh yeah, she was totally alive and that phantom was made by her, no need for you to have all that character growth. Oh, and that basement we'd been teasing at? Shock and horror, that's where the bad things started happening! Who'dve thunk it.

The first two routes are still fantastic, and the third fills in enough blanks but leaves enough to the imagination. The fourth is just lazy and explains literally everything in the most hamfisted way possible.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I enjoyed Chaos Head. I thought the main character was a very interesting individual and thought the delusions were a great gameplay mechanic. Robotics Notes was dull though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I agree entirely. It's similar to how the Matrix movies went, the first was great but the next two being as silly as they are didn't make the first one worse.

However, I'm going to bitch some more about Grisaia. Not only is The Labyrinth of Grisaia much shorter than The Fruit of Grisaia, they've already started selling extra bits. Two hours at £5/$7. A massive bloody rip off if you ask me.

Labyrinth not only did get a hamfisted and edgy extended flashback sequence, followed by the absolute corniest and most predictable ending, it also did the standard All-Ages edition lazy writing of simply cutting out entirely any sex scenes, and as nothing is explicit there are a lot of implications that are frankly disgusting. Avoid at all costs.

For those who want to know what I mean, it's implied that the main character slept with his adoptive parents. The ones who took him in at 12. And he was sent to terrorist school, drugged and made to wear women's clothing to assassinations. I want my money back.

Don't. Buy. Grisaia.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah, the first was great. Shame the follow up is just awful in every way.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

lets hang out posted:

the zany antics are good and important

Agreed, without some antics then you won't get attached to the characters, nor will any setup be possible for the bad things that may transpire. The two halves make the whole. There are probably also vital clues hidden in the antics, but I'm too dumb to figure it out at this stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Ladies and gentlemen, Stay! Stay! My First (and only) Trip to North Korea has successfully been kickstarted. It's made by the veteran developers of such hits as Panzermadels, and I'm actually unironically excited for this because there's no way it isn't either purposefully hilarious or awkwardly the best thing ever.