Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

There's about as much sex in it as a PG13 movie though, Steam wouldn't actually let an uncensored R-18 game on there.

Yeah, it's "uncensored" only by nature of there being nothing to merit censoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

I defer to your judgement. It would probably be too hard for me to express how I feel about it anyway.

Feel free to drop into the TJGFJYLITAWYLIA chat thread if you want to talk at people about it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think rules are getting relaxed, rather publishers happen to be translating VNs that are somewhat explicit, but not to such a degree that Steam would have issue with them, which is spun into buzz for ~uncensored~ releases.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 17, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

apparently the end of the VN teases it, but MG announced proper that they'll be releasing the other fata morgana thing (MG tumblr calls it a prequel, twitter a fandisc. i dunno)

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 21, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

S;G coming to Steam next month.
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/08/19/steinsgate-finally-releasing-steam-september-2016/

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I've finished Steins;Gate 0.

I quite liked it overall, but I have to wonder what the hell the localizers were thinking. There are far, far more typos than the original game had, and there are at least two parts (Albeit brief) that are just flatout untranslated. Lot of strange stylistic changes too- past tense used as opposed to present tense, name orders are reversed (S;G0 used "Rintaro Okabe" instead of "Okabe Rintaro" and so on), honorifics are dropped etc. It just seems noticeably inconsistent with the style of the first game's translation- it's not so bad that I wouldn't recommend buying the game, but it did bug me.

I recall people expressing some concern that they didn't get the original translators back for this one in favor of the people that did the S;G manga and such.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ryuga Death posted:

I think any anime game on Steam with the "overwhelmingly positive" tag is a warning sign at this point. :(

That's an odd tack to take tbh

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Any opinions on the Utawarerumono games? Atlus is putting out Mask of Deception later this month.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

edit: Oh, and they changed the final puzzle. I'm not sure why? There's no reason at all why Sudoku wouldn't still have worked, but for some reason they changed it. Possibly they think no-one knows how to do Sudoku any more? Its day has sort of come and gone.

Weird, that'd only help it to me, since the ultimate puzzle being a fad newspaper thing was kinda funny.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

hepcat posted:

Something called Steins;Gate Elite was announced a few days ago. Does anyone know if this is just a repackaging of the 2 main games, or if they are going for a completely new story?

The one article I saw didn't give many details, not even platforms, but I got the impression that it's an updated rerelease of the first.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's a good thing the Trails series will never fall into gacha hell, haha

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Thread from the head of novetacle (vndb lists him as director and scenario writer as well)
https://twitter.com/hanadakeika/status/871191946210926594

quote:

I couldn't understand how hard localization's work was, who great people were spending times for us.
...didn't know everything.
I was shamed into studying so that knowing these things. I know I need to continue it, my English still have mistakes.
But my efforts bear fruit little by little. Now, I can understand how wonderful and awesome a year was, how happy Fata and I were.
Fata morgana gave me a lot of great occasions. I'm sure Fata changed my life, and then, it keeps continuing in the future.
So, I want to say thank you again. Thank you for all of the people who loves Fata morgana.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The first Utawarerumono will be getting a PS4/Vita remake. Might come over depending on how the recent dulology did here.

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/927883341159792641

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

(Aquaplus, of Utawarerumono. Many smaller companies tried to get White Album 2 from them and were stopped by the exorbitant-for-a-VN licensing fees).

aww :(

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's a shame. Almost every big otome release lately has been a disappointment on the localization front. Except Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome. That translation is fantastic.

I only played the demo, but yeah, tons of gold there.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Just play Kindred Spirits instead, please.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Alder posted:

Do you think that VNs will move to the switch over ps4? Please no.

VNs have been everywhere up to and including the Xbox, so probably some, yes.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Aeana/status/977192612422672389?s=19

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The visuals speak to a more typical presentation than ZTD's really awkward budget cinematic style imo, so I'm optimistic about something without any franchise baggage.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Good chunk through the Atlus-published Utawarerumono games, finished the second(?) act last night. They've been pretty good, though at points the storytelling feels a bit disjointed in how it (by necessity, I guess) will jump to narrating "and then this national event happened" after the last, it can feel a tad contrived (the end of the Yamato campaign really tripped my "hero incontrovertibly fucks up but gets saved by arbitrary luck" peeve), and I can deffo see why some of its extremely "descended from an eroge prequel" elements put some people off earlier in the thread.

Has some very good parts though! Pretty much all of the interpersonal drama resulting from Oshtor's situation is really really good imo.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Muvluv is so steeped in genre pastiche and references that I feel like being for people already into particular genres of anime is the intention.

e: Also taking an eroge to task for lacking mainsteam appeal seems misguided, lol. Some of them are able to go all-ages with nobody being the wiser, but when you've dedicated yourself to working within a niche inside a niche inside a etc., it's easy to imagine how that ends up permeating the whole.

Motto fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 6, 2019

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

This is from the (now former) translator of the Rance games, but regarding Mangagamer in general and their lovely work environment and pay even compared to other VN pubs:

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr1tu4

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've mostly seen people talking about franchise terminology consistency, which is more a matter of provided material and the TL duties getting bounced around than overall TL quality.

https://twitter.com/blnkpoint182/status/1314724610621894659?s=19

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The game entered development a good while after VLR came out and underperformed to the point that people assumed the series was dead. Fan demand got ZTD to happen, but it's obviously budget and stretching itself too far on said budget, attempting a style that Somnium Files would do way better. iirc Uchikoshi's made comments to the effect that ZTD's story isn't what he originally came up with for the third game, which honestly just makes me think he'd already made peace with the series getting cut short and ended up throwing things at the wall like pulling Junpei and Akane in again.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I heard there were some issues with how the characters were handled in translation, but it's already been patched.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's also extremely not all-ages so it's not under the purview of this thread or from what I've heard something I'd want people stumbling into thinking it's in the same vein as what usually gets talked about here.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

More accurate would be to say that it only covers the first game. White Album 2 is split into "Intro Chapter", which was adapted, and "Closing Chapter", which wasn't.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Several JAST-published VNs just got all-ages releases on GOG, including FMD Muramasa.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It actually runs pretty well and the RTS portion got rebalanced (turrets are more limited, individual characters were made more unique with an additional ability or two)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

technically they're ADVs but visual novel isn't an accurate term either so who cares

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Physical copy of Witch on the Holy Night finally came in after the storm delay. Was starting to regret not just getting the digital edition months ago but the artbook is nice and big so I'm happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I can't say I wasn't vaguely disappointed by ZTD, but by the time it was announced I'd made peace with never getting ZE3 so its faults as a sequel are w/e and it's a really weird and funny game so I can't be mad about it even if it's not "good".

Motto fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 12, 2023