Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I've been reading through Clannad (steam release). It's really good, which isn't surprising considering its popularity. To be clear: I've never seen the anime, and went into the VN blind.

So far, I actually sobbed during Fuko's route, and literally fell on the floor laughing in Kotomi's route (during the scene where she recommends the Bible as a book for Tomoya to read). Though the other routes that I've played were simply OK I guess. Ryou's was the worst, because it was literally Kyou's route but you stop halfway through. My ranking so far is:

1) Fuko
2) Kotomi
3) Kyou
4) Nagisa
5) Tomoyo
6) Ryou

Will definitely be trying to finish before I go back to college in a couple of weeks.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

It kind of got buried under a setting update, but the Root Double Kickstarter just updated their tiers. New items include a mug, a t-shirt, and a messenger bag. They'll release further updates with pictures.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Awesome. I already have both Danganronpas on Vita, but I'm happy that it is becoming more accessible to everyone.

And on the Root Double campaign, the 14th marked their first upward funding trend in the campaign, and nearly double what we got on the 13th. Hopefully, this will continue to be a thing. If we can continue to get 2,000 dollars a day until the final 2 days, the final stretch may be achievable.

Also, I found this article on the history of visual novels recently. Though, it isn't as much of history as it is discussing the change of visual novels from one graphical style to another after Tokimeki Memorial.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 15, 2016

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I have a Clannad related question. Sekai recently updated the script, which caused all of the "read text" to reset. So, I planned to just hold down control and go through all of the routes I already went through. The problem is I don't know where/if the light orbs would make differences. I don't really want to look this up because of spoilers. So, I'll just tell you the routes I already did in the order I did them.

1) Nagisa
2) Fuko
3) Tomoyo
4) Ryou
5) Kyou
6) Tomoyo
7) Miyazawa

If anyone could tell me approximately where will be different while going through these again, it would be appreciated!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Thanks! Is the scene in Nagisa's route near the end? I'd like to just use control to get through most of the repeat scenes.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

The official Steam Danagnronpa page is up.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

At this rate Umineko will never make it to steam.

No, not never, don't be silly. :colbert:

Just 10 years from now.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

The Root Double Steam page is up. Careful when looking at the preview images, as one in particular seems to contain a spoiler for one of the endings.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

I was thinking about Umineko today. See, that's the mark of a good game when I'm still thinking about it even 6-7 years later.

Anyway, I was thinking about how while I really liked the story of Umineko as a whole, I think I liked the music and atmosphere it was told with better. If I listen back to any of the game's songs, it can instantly put me in the exact mood I felt all those years ago when I was first reading it. Gives me goosebumps.

Good game. Go read it if you haven't.

I will when Manga Gamer gets to it.

In other words, I'll read it by 2030.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

John Lee posted:

MangaGamer's art looks weird as heck, though! Be sure to get the inevitable PS2 sprites mod, like the one for the Higurashi MangaGamer releases, because the person they got to draw the new sprites just doesn't GET it, y'know?

I didn't have a problem with the Manga Gamer Higurashi sprites. Then again, I never played the VN with the original sprites.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 5, 2016

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Ryoshi posted:

Does anyone who backed the KS have any news on Root Double? The Steam page still just says "April". I've got a flight coming up soon and it would be rad to load up on my tablet.

I think that Sekai is waiting on Regista to integrate the remaining Steam things (overlay and cloud) right now, and I'm not sure that even Sekai themselves know of the exact status. So, it should hopefully come out this month. Or not.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 14, 2016

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Stefan Prodan posted:

So what's the consensus in here on Root Double, if there is one? I liked 999 and VLR, would I probably like it also?

I haven't finished it due to stuff as I'm doing a lot of final project stuff right now, but I've gone through most of route A and it was fantastic. Lot's of suspense, mystery, and drama.

From what I've heard, you definitely should start with route A.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Motto posted:

apparently the end of the VN teases it, but MG announced proper that they'll be releasing the other fata morgana thing (MG tumblr calls it a prequel, twitter a fandisc. i dunno)

VNDB also calls it a fandisc, so I'm going to guess that it is a fandisc that is set before the original VN.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Umineko was sortof targeted at a group of readers who would discuss each game between releases. Having a break to think about things and discuss your ideas with other players between 4 and 5 may give you a better experience overall. And if the answers arc is delayed forever you can just go and dig out the original version.

I guess there's gonna be no voices though which sucks because the voice cast was really good.
The link is mostly thematic. There are nods, references and some character overlap but nothing explicit.

So, my experience in reading Umineko won't be harmed by having only read the first 3 chapters of Higurashi (by the time it comes out), right?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The updated ones are bad, but arent as bad as the originals. Wait for a PS3 and voice mod.

Erm, can someone explain to me why the updated sprites are bad? I know I've heard people say the same about the Higurashi ones, but I don't see it for either. To me, both the PS3 ones and the updated ones look fine. Am I really aesthetically blind, or is there something I'm missing?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

Still struggling my way through I / O

I'm pretty bored. The Route A protagonist was insufferable for the first 4-5 hours, now that the plot seems to have mildly kicked in, he's just boring. Think it's been 7 hours and I'm on the eleventh chapter? It just doesn't really feel like anything's happened at all. I really am trying to get into this game but it's like the most boring route of any visual novel I've played.

I'll press on through

Welcome to I/O. Annoying, then boring, then OK, boring again, then OK again, then boring (yet again), and finally insane (not in a good way). This was my experience with I/O. Yeah, it isn't going to be getting too much better.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

That's a shame. I spoke to a dude who has played both I / O and Root Double all the way through, and he said he enjoyed I / O significantly more.

Opinions of I/O vary upon person. People either love or dislike it. I'm in the latter group, and considering your opinion so far, you'll probably be in there as well.

Personally, I loved Root Double. I'd give it a 9/10, and I/O a 5/10.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 28, 2016

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

gegi posted:

After that, I'm wary of attempting Root Double.

Root Double is a lot better than I/O IMO. Route A is pretty quick, Route B is slower paced but still fine. If there are any problems, its that the game slows down after most of the mysteries have been solved, but it is still probably my favorite VN directed by Nakazawa.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 29, 2016

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Stefan Prodan posted:

I tried to look it up on Wikipedia, but it doesn't have Uchikoshi's name anywhere on Root Double?

Oops, I meant Nakazawa. :doh: I'm tired.

Also, apparently he directed it but didn't write it. I'll have to fix that too then.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah you can play route B first if you want, but I'm not very far into it so I can't speak about how it would affect the experience. I'm also really awful at mysteries and still completely clueless after finishing A.

The end of route B spoils a lot of stuff from route A (especially the part of the route after the credits), so starting with A is better. B is a little slow, yeah.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Is there anywhere that has a good spoiler free (of the future chapters) recap of what happened in the first two chapters of Higurashi? My memory of them is blurry as it has been over a year since I read the first chapter and over half a year since I read the second. I don't want to Google this on my own as I will probably run into spoilers.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

With Higurashi, every time I think I start to understand things and develop good theories, the VN destroys them (sometimes literally seconds later). Speculations (from Chapter 3):

Tokano killed Tomitake on Watanagshi (pretty obvious). I'm guessing she did it in chapters 1 and 2 as well. I have no idea how she got him to claw his throat out though.

Tokano was found in the same state as chapter 2, so I'm guessing it has nothing to do with Keichi, or his mental state.

I'm guessing Satoko's uncle was actually killed, but she lied about seeing him. She made a dinner just in case he came back, and had a different sort of breakdown to cause the mess.

The big death poison gas thing: I bet it has something to do with Keichi sending the motorcycle into the swamp, which triggered something. Or the bat. Either way, it explains why it didn't happen in chapter 2.

Given how much we see outside of Keichi's perspective, I'm not sure about my earlier theory of Keichi having some hallucinogenic disorder. Given (as far as I know) that Schizophrenic hallucinations usually come out of some sort of obsession or pre-held belief, I had thought that maybe in each route when he discovered bad things (with Watanagashi and stuff) he would slowly start distrusting his friends and hallucinate about them. For example, I had thought in chapter 1 that he never received food with a needle in it. Additionally, given that Satoko seems to have experienced the same sort thing, this doesn't seem to be the case.

Arguing that there is something going on mentally with Keichi is the "Himinizawa mental disorder" mentioned at the end of chapter 3. Maybe there is something with that. Rena's eyes have gone blank during certain scenes, and with the look in Keichi's eyes that Mion and Rena see when he decides to kill the Uncle, maybe this is a mental disorder induced thing that Rena also has.

My timeline theory has been changed many times over the course of chapter 3. At first, I thought that the chapters were distinct alternate timelines, but then they included remember of events from previous chapters in chapter 3 (the curry contest, meeting Shion, the Old Maid game, etc). So, I then thought that events before Watanagashi from all chapters happened at some point. But then the entire Satoko's uncle thing through that off. I'm currently going with the theory mentioned in the All-Cast thing, and that it is a diverging timeline. Most of the club games and stuff still happen in all chapters, but offscreen. I'm currently presuming that the divergence comes from:

Chapter 1: Keichi distrusts everyone, isn't as close, and interacts with Tomitake before Watanagashi as a result, leading to Ooishi talking to him, and upon learning about his friends from him and getting more obsessive and crazier, the Sonozaki's try to off him.

Chapter 2: Keichi isn't as distrusting, meets Shion and some stuff that follows causes Mion to go bad.

Chapter 3: For whatever reason, Satoko's uncle comes back. I don't know why, but I'm guessing that maybe it has something to do with that body turning up in the very beginning.

There are a lot of questions to be answered:

1) Shion killed herself in both chapters 2 and 3. Why?
2) What is with that syringe seen in chapters 1 and 2?
3) What is the timeline of these chapters? When do they diverge (presuming they do)?
4) Some characters personalities seem to differ between chapters. For example, Ooishi was nice in chapter 1, OK in chapter 2, and a real dick in chapter 3. Why?
5) What happened to Satoko's uncle's corpse?
6) Why did Keichi claw his throat out in chapter 1?
7) How was Keichi seen at Watanagashi in chapter 3?
8) What happened with Coach, Tokano, and Ooishi in chapter 3?
9) What are the "footsteps," given we throw out the hallucination hypothesis?
10) What happened at the end of chapter 2 with Keichi?
11) Generally, how are Mion and Rena triggered to be in "crazy mode." Both Rena and Mion are triggered late chapters 1 and 3, but only Mion is in chapter 2. Why?
12) Who exactly are responsible for the previous killings? In particular, did Satoshi kill the Aunt?
13) What happened to Satoshi?

I probably won't read any responses to my speculation, as I like to figure things out on my own, and I'm afraid of answers disguised as speculation.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 22, 2016

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

I dunno I think 999 is pretty perfect

Except that it has a habit of saying the same thing multiple times and generally being pretty pedantic when describing things.

No work of fiction is perfect.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Rollersnake posted:

Is there anything in Zero Time Dilemma that is really going to win me over if I thought the first two Zero Escape games were decent at best? I feel like after Virtue's Last Reward there's nowhere interesting or surprising they could go with the story, but I'd like to be proven wrong. Also, how are the puzzles?

The puzzles are the easiest in the series I think. The only hard parts were pixel hunting and the puzzles themselves being occasionally poorly designed. Honestly, the puzzles were the worst part of ZTD I think. There was one puzzle room that was one of my favorites in the series though.

ZTD was my favorite in the series, but everyone has different opinions on it. Its pretty divisive.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 14, 2016

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

dmboogie posted:

Submarine at least had a puzzle room unique to it, but yeah it kinda just... ended.

2 puzzle rooms technically. And the knife ending was even worse.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Muv-Luv is released, and they are doing a giveaway thing with various actions giving you entries. So because of this, despite the fact that it only released like 2 hours ago, it already has 68 reviews, and they are all positive.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

As someone who first read Extra and Unlimited for the first time a couple of weeks ago, my opinion of Extra went pretty much like the reviewer's. At first it was pretty OK. But starting with the lacrosse arc, the common route dragged, and after that it was kind of just bad. None of the character routes were particularly great, but Tama's was OK. Sakaki's was wasn't terrible. Sumika's route was like a single scene of making love. Meiya's was barely more than a love scene, and she suddenly turned super tsundere for some reason, which was annoying. Ayamine's was just bad.

Unlimited was OK, but it was annoying to have all character development basically removed and gone through again, but in a much shorter amount of time.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Raxivace posted:

From what I understand, the sequel follows a variation of the True Ending where Okabe accidentally stabs Kurisu himself, but never receives the video mail from his future self so he doesn't time travel again to save her.

I thought it was the Mayuri ending. In other words, where he never receives the email from his future self.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

So Sekai Project announced Fatal Twelve. The concept seems pretty interesting. Hopefully it turns out to be a good VN.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Finally. As far as I'm aware, Jast has been struggling with 5pb on this for quite some time. Of course, I don't remember where I heard this.

Edit: Higurashi chapter 4 is 100% translated and edited!

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 19, 2016

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Woah, this is post G-Senjou no Maou, Higurashi 1-4 and Umineko 1-4. Is Fata Morgana really as good, if not better, than these?

Higurashi chapter 4 isn't on steam yet.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think the game pauses on each of the subsequent ones except for the first ending. I looked very specifically when my wife played it to see if I missed an obvious cue to do the thing but I didn't, it just goes right past it on your first try (no icon or anything) so I think people would have to generally be pretty astute to not get the first ending. I would be surprised if 90%+ people don't get that ending first.

I got Faris' ending first. I just kind of intuitively opened the phone to send the message I think, but its been so long that I don't really remember. I also played the JAST version, so maybe there was more indication in that version?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I know there has already been a lot of replies to the question about VA-11, but I'll reply with my own two cents anyway.

I really liked VA-11 Hall-A. Its nowhere near perfect, but it has a lot going for it. The soundtrack and overall atmosphere is fantastic. The writing is mediocre, but not awful like I"ve seen many people make it out to be. At the very least, its not cringeworthy or anything. Goons tend to, like most of the internet, have binary opinions on things.

It is (IMO) best played in small sittings when life is stressful. Being stressed IRL mixes well (no pun intended) with the atmosphere and mindlessness of the actual gameplay. Hearing the problems of fictional characters can be cathartic.

tl;dr It is a nice chill game/VN hybrid. If you don't go in with any expectations, it should be an enjoyable experience.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Does I/O ever get interesting? This VN apparently has four routes, and I can't even make it through A. The high school protagonist dude is extremely boring and unrelatable, and I've tagged along with him for 8 hours and I can't stand it anymore.

It gets worse.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Feels like the twists that're starting to be revealed to me in Root Double would've been obvious if I weren't an idiot

They're still being done well, though.

e: Well, got Route B finished. What now...

Route C is next

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

Has Famitsu ever not been a joke magazine?

Famitsu used to highly regarded in the west, before there were articles telling of how bad it is. I think the only thing that really has changed in the last decade is perception.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Stefan Prodan posted:

I have gotten this far in these 3 VNs:

Fata Morgana - not very far at all, in the middle (?) of Mell's story where the mysterious servant lady shows up
Higurashi - not very far at all, in chapter 1 I think
Devil on G String - in the middle of the 2nd segment, got the Tsubaki ending and I guess the Kanon ending would be next

Is there a clear cut best of these to finish? I think maybe I got the impression from the thread earlier that Fata Morgana is looked at as the best?

Something I've discovered is that 1 door in a single sitting is the best pace if you can manage to find enough time for it. If you don't, but have single days where you can get far, take a break after finishing a door and come back later in the day. Don't break this rule even if you think you are near the end.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

My thoughts on Dies Irae:

I'm at the end of the common route, or maybe beginning of the Kasumi route. I'm partway into chapter 7, so I don't know where that lands me, but I'm pretty close to the border, since I've been told that this is around the end of the common route. I've been using a guide to play, as I've been told that the wrong order ruins the game. I'm going to be comparing it to FSN as a frame of reference, since it is the closest VN I've read to this sort of thing.

Below isn't really a spoiler, but I talk about the flow of the game, which may be something that someone doesn't want to know (I know I'm hyper sensitive to the stuff) so I will put it in spoiler tag to be safe.

The battles have felt kind of fast compared to FSN. They've generally been pretty good, but have felt abruptly short. On the flip side, the down time segments are generally well paced. This leaves it with a really strange rhythm.

The music feels generally kind of repetitive. Having recently finished Fata Morgana, it feels like a pain to have to listen to like 2 short tracks loop over and over for battle sequences. For a battle opera, you'd think they would have some actual variety in battle music.

It seems OK so far, but I don't think I'm really far enough to give a realistic perspective on it. I purchased it to scratch the itch left after reading FSN and watching Fate/Zero, and seems to be doing an adequate job of that so far.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 4, 2017

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

It looks like there is a best visual novel contest with brackets being held right now. You can vote here. They are arranged mostly randomly, with the exception that otome games are placed within there own sub-bracket. The same applies for untranslated games. This ensures that at exactly 1 otome game and 1 untranslated game will make it into the final 8.

I know it just a silly popularity contest, but I'm always a sucker for these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

For people curious about Dies Irae, my opinion has improved over my previous thoughts. It has went from a 7.5 to a 9 for me. At this point I've finished the recommended points up to the beginning of Kei's route (all of Kasumi's route and the "Wehrwolf" story). The battle scenes are fantastic, and the the characters have begun to grow on me. Shirou in particular.

I've heard a coupe new tracks introduced in a couple of places, but the battle themes still feel repetitive.

I'm definitely looking to see what the later routes offer.