Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Well, it was incomplete, as it's more like a demo to make people get invested and then yank the rug out from under them and go 'see you in a year when this game actually releases, sucker' :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Yeah, demo's not exactly the right choice of words. A friend described it as 'if you bought a Danganronpa game but only got the first case or two and were told to wait for the rest', which is probably a closer comparison.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Anyone here seen the social deduction/murder mystery game NIS announced back in February? Name roughly translates to 'Detective Elimination' and is apparently about a group of 14 top detectives (each an expert in a specific field/focus of investigation) who've been gathered on a remote island to try and uncover the identity of a serial killer that's among them. I'm hoping since it's a NIS game it'll get localized since they have a pretty devoted Western fanbase, but you can never tell with these kind of things (I'm looking at you, Exile Election and Net High)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDTp2ULdoF8

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

MegaZeroX posted:

Huh, looks interesting. I notice that each person in the intro came with a ranking, where most were between 1 and 30, except (what was presumably) the protagonist, which was 100. Do you know what that is? Is it supposed to be some kind of ranking of how good of a detective they are or something?

From what I found on the website, it would appear that in this setting crime rates are significantly higher and as such there is an 'Detective Alliance' organization, funded by the government, who get resources and financing that independents do not. The protagonist is rank 100 as he is still in high school and part of his kidnapping to be taken to the island is him receiving the news that he's been accepted into their ranks. The one guy who doesn't have a rank was apparently one of the founding members who is retired from detective work.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

man, it's a shame to hear that VN's not very good (at least based off of the demo impression). I'm still interested because I find bad VNs still compelling to poke around in (and as someone who does writing i like seeing what stories do 'wrong' just as much as what they can do 'right'), but it'd have to be localized first lol

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Revitalized posted:

Are there any exciting horror VNs in the same vein as the Spirit Hunter series? I thoroughly enjoyed playing Death Mark and NG, but it seems like it'll probably be a while before we get the third one that got crowdfunded a while back.

requisite fata morgana recommendation goes here

i've heard the letter is pretty decent, though i havent played it myself yet
if you're more into the combination of investigation and folklore you might try raging loop, it's a werewolf/mafia game but set in a village out in the boonies with supernatural elements

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/AnimeNewsNet/status/1398893451341672449?s=20

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also i gather the lore stuff at the end was from another VN that wasn't localized, which is annoying

if you're talking about the stuff with meiko at the very end then yes, its a backdoor connection into a previous VN the writer did that that's confirmed to be the same world. (said VN actually got a steam remaster last year, it just doesn't have an English option/localization announced at time of posting)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

thark posted:

Which game is this? DMLC?

Yeah, that's the one. I don't have context because, well, I haven't played it, but from my understanding it takes place like a decade after Raging Loop as Meiko is a high school student at that point and is one of the main cast, and its supposed to be some kind of reveal that the two characters are the same person and not just sharing a name

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

im mentioning it both in here and the other VN thread, but I'm starting up an LP for a pair of VNs that are basically a budget Canadian Zero Escape knockoff :v: posting the link here in case anyone is interested

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970511

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

If you don't mind there also being gameplay/combat, 13 Sentinels might be your thing, though its a looooooot closer to an adventure game with VN structure/framing than an actual traditional VN

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Danganronpa appeals to people who are more into the survival game kind of stories compared to the murder mystery stuff you get from ace attorney. I've always categorized them as closer to zero escape than AA even though they have trials, just because of the story vibes and what kind of character interactions you get

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I think the other big thing with DR vs AA is that like 4/5 of the time the victims in the AA cases are basically irrelevant, its just Some Dude and you either don't know them beforehand or know them for all of like twenty minutes and then they're dead, so there's a lot more weight put into the recurring characters instead- the prosecutors and some of the killers are memorable, but you don't exactly have people lining up to talk about how much they love shelly de killer or glen elg or whathaveyou. DR, on the other hand, has a set cast with very few additions, so having the 'someone I might like could be next!!!' vibe gives a completely different energy to going through the motions in the first third of each chapter, but the actual investigation itself isn't nearly as memorable- people care WHO died, not necessarily HOW they died

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Snooze Cruise posted:

yeah like even the bad cases in ace attorney has the entire pedophile circus case lets be loving honest

ftfy

(seriously why the gently caress were multiple adult men lusting over the loving 14yo that case should be thrown in the trash forever :gonk: )

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Snooze Cruise posted:

you didn't ftfy that for me at all and honestly feels gross that you change my words in this context because the subject here does bother me

i misinterpreted what you said as a 'and this is a bad thing' statement, that's on me. sorry

i mostly just want that case scrubbed from existence because it also bothers me, a lot

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

also i said "some" of the killers, obviously the "final boss" killers are memorable, and people remember stuff like the iconic breakdown animations or poo poo like furio tigre. but i mean the more mundane ones like richard wellington or ted tonate. like you'd recognize them and go 'oh hey, them', but they arent necessarily fan favorites or anything. even ones that you'd think would have more presence like dee vasquez are kinda just. there. my point was more in terms of like, staying power, the danganronpa cast has a lot more evenly distributed fan interest

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

also just to be clear i like ace attorney more than i do DR. this isnt me trying to do some weird own or anything. i just think the wildly different ways people interact w/ the series is neat :shrug:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1410387750059130885?s=20

AI Sequel confirmed

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Stexils posted:

sound of drop

i found sound of drop kind of interesting initially because i like horror where the spooky bit is the fact that the cast have been trapped in some kind of pocket dimension (in the same vein as stuff like corpse party, calling on the Wii, or even that one psychadelica VN), but it really just. is let down by the fact it's very obviously the studio's first VN. i was pretty generous when i still felt somewhat positive after beating it, but its definitely like. a B-movie kind of VN, at best. (which is why its fascinating that their next game, Fatal Twelve, is so much better)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Mirello posted:

I'll probably do this. tbh I'm planning to skip the apollo justice games because I've heard mixed things and they dont have the same nostalgia going for them. I'm excited to play that new one though.

apollo justice has some of the best music in the entire series and a lot of people's negative reactions were more that it wasnt another game with phoenix as the protagonist, i think a lot of people would like it more in retrospect if they replayed it now

edit: you try and tell me this isnt one of the funkiest AA tracks ever, i want an upscaled remix in AA7

Mix. fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 22, 2021

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

yeah the third case is hilariously bad purely on how many times they play that drat video. but in a way that it kind of loops around to being loving hysterical because of how many times you watch the same loving 144p mov file

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

To actually answer your question: yes, he does get development. ...eventually. It just takes a while.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Has anyone here played Ayakashi Gohan? I found it while looking for something else while preparing the next LP I want to do and it seems interesting, but considering it's an un-localized otome game from like 6+ years ago that doesn't get a ton of discussion anymore I'd rather play it safe :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Read After Burning posted:

This reminds me, there was a VN that came out in Japan back in like 2013 or something for the Vita, and it never made its way over here even though I would have KILLED for it. I guess they didn't think it was worth it to localize. The name escapes me, but it was basically about calling people out and exposing them for making poo poo up to get Twitter clout.

Edit: NET HIGH! That was it. I wish that had come out here in the US.

funnily enough, there was an interview where the publisher basically said they would've loved to localize it if it weren't for the fact they would essentially have to completely re-code a lot of stuff since part of the gameplay/investigations involve live comments streaming across the screen like you see on sites like niconico and it wouldn't have worked to simply replace that text with English characters, apparently. I think it got announced as getting a Switch release (might already have happened), so maybe we might see it over here in the future, but who can say?

One that I'm sad never got localized was Exile Election, there's that one playthrough where someone basically tries to translate it on the fly while she's LPing it but I feel like it'd take forever to get anywhere (iirc the LP is in the triple digits in terms of videos) and I don't know if her translations are accurate enough that someone could maybe transcribe/"LP" it in screenshot form, either.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

is Cho Dengeki Stryker any good? I found it on my Steam wishlist while going through it to trim it and don't remember why I put it on there in the first place.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

it is 2022 and we finally have a release date for Anonymous;Code (07/28, but only a Japanese release for now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYoVyitv6mg

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

ive heard the sequel is a lot better but someone who's actually played it could probably give a better answer :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/highimpactsex/status/1507375981677670403?s=20&t=JZQh6qDCC6bVAHYN61xx_w

:dafuq:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

apparently animators were also on the list of things they were considering removing. you know, animation! that thing that doesn't take a lot of time work or skill to do and therefore shouldn't need to be credited. :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Any good recs for horror/psychological thriller VNs? Preferably ones that don't take a turn for the misogynistic :( I've gotten burned by that too many times.

if you havent already, Raging Loop is pretty good and I don't remember it being particularly bad about its female characters

there's also Fata Morgana but everyone frankly should play Fata Morgana so that's hardly a specific recommendation :v:

it's not exactly a VN because there's gameplay to it (its closer to a point and click game) but Detention is also a really good one

and its been a while so I don't remember the specifics but Sound of Drop is also an "okay" horror VN, if you liked the concept of Corpse Party but wanted a different vibe this is basically that but set at an aquarium instead so a lot of the dangers are like. supernatural aquatic wildlife i guess. I think the closest it gets to being weird is like. one of the [you died] endings is an out of place jellyfish monster girl but she's not a character at all so once that danger is past its just. gone. lol

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

girl dick energy posted:

I love Raging Loop despite its flaws, but “I don’t want to play a VN that gets weird about its female characters” rules it out almost instantly.

:confused: I don't remember it being particularly misogynistic, though it has been a bit so maybe I just glossed over some of it

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

lol if you think that's strange and not like... par for the course. The one I just tried was Death Mark, which (mild content warning) threw in some surprise graphic death rape scenes

its really funny it ended up being that because death mark was IMMEDIATELY the one i thought of when I read that because I too had 'wow this is a neat VN so far wonder what's next wait wha :stonk:' experience playing it. I still finished it because, well, my partner got the collectors edition for me for our anni and I felt bad but like. wow. Definitely made me hesitant to touch the sequel even though I've heard it has.... less of that

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

:doh: poo poo, right, I had forgotten about that particular bit since it wasn't explicit. fair point, though I think at that stage it's at least signaled enough before the story goes into it.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/HD_Kirin/status/1543402678167826432?s=20&t=mXorxMDRAJG4yodwfSdsAQ

:supaburn:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Process of Elimination confirmed to be getting localized with a release date in early 2023 :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQYo8QqqKUA

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

:psyduck: an official Tron Visual Novel???

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2109430/Tron_Identity/

its by the studio that did subsurface circular and quarantine circular so i'm tenatively excited because i loved those, but

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

fez_machine posted:

On Wishlist:
Ambition: A Minuet in Power
AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES - nirvanA Initiative
Buried Stars
Lady in Mystery
Mythic Ocean
Hashihime of the Old Book Town
Head AS Code
Untale: King of Revinia
The Zodiac Trial
MAMIYA
Necrobarista
World's End Club

i'm a little biased because I've LPd one of these, am currently LPing another one of these, and have like 3-4 of these more in the 'maybe LP someday' category, but there's definitely some good options on this list- the one I'm currently LPing is Zodiac Trial so if you wanted to get a look at the start to feel out if you're into it there's always that :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Skip Head AS Code and go straight to Birth ME Code. Yes, the latter is a sequel to the former, but the former is total garbage (and kind of borders on incel poo poo) and you don't really need it to follow anything.

ymgve posted:

I'd say skip Birth ME Code too, considering one of the characters is a pure trans panic caricature, a guy who dresses as a girl to get access to girls and violate them

ironically, this is actually part of why I LPd both of them, so people could get the interesting ZE-y stuff while not having to buy the games themselves considering, uh, this content :suicide: The creator apologized for that second one after a few people pulled them aside and went 'hey uh why the gently caress did you do that' (and released a game update that rewrote some of the narration/dialogue to try to "salvage" that character) but like.... its still hosed lol

this is also why i'll still LP the third game just for a sense of closure even if there are much better indie ZE-likes out there

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

ymgve posted:

Can you point me in the direction of some? I basically only know about the ME Code series and Your Turn To Die

well, the big one (that i'm biased towards cos I'm LPing it) is zodiac trial, mostly because the writer actually loving knows how to write interesting characters and doesn't drag their feet lol

if you're more interested in death games that lean closer to werewolf, there's gnosia (which is basically a werewolf roguelike where an overarching narrative is told over many, many time loops) or raging loop (incredibly good, and once you beat the game you unlock a special mode that lets you replay the game but read everyone's thoughts and see what some of the non-protagonist characters are doing when they're "offscreen" from his perspective)

there's also exit/corners, but it's not on steam, it's browser-based

there's a bunch of others that are still in development that I have tabs on so I can't really rec games that don't exist yet :v: but there's actually a pretty thriving OEVLN scene, which is good for someone that wants to LP some of the stuff that's currently being worked on.

there's also a VN coming out in 2023 that's being published by NISA that's basically a death game but all the "players" are detectives specializing in specific investigation methods/fields; I heard it was super derivative (i mean, the protagonist is literally just the detective from danganronpa V3 lol) but that's never stopped me from enjoying something before so I'm still excited for its localization :v:

if you want to get into some stuff that's more connected to uchikoshi, the zero escape creator, there's obviously the infinity series that he was involved with pre-ZE, but there's also the game root double, which was written by another of the main infinity creators (i think it was the producer? dont quote me on that.) that's closer to the infinity setup of 'a group of people are trapped in a dangerous place and have to figure out how they're going to escape, but its not an actual death game' type story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i got recommended a video essay on chaos;head a few months ago and i think it's a really good summary of everything involving C;H, for better or for worse, especially in regards to its delusion system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJqHWysjBJ0

(obvious spoilers for the entire game for the most part)