Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just finished one of the Famicom Detective Club games - I've never seen a visual novel so polished, but yet so weirdly designed. I felt thrown back to the adventure games of the 80s and 90s where you have to combine every item with each other until you found the right combination, except in this case it was dialog choices.

Are there any other visual novels with that level of polish/animation, by the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Wrapped up the Higurashi questions arc (Ep 1-4) and I have...thoughts. Firstly, are all the "puzzle pieces" present in those episodes, allowing you to put together the actual truth? Seems like there are still lots of details missing making everything ambiguous. Also, the big question seems to be mundane vs supernatural, and so far it really seems like some things are hard to explain as anything but supernatural while I had more of a hope for the former. After all, if you go with supernatural explanations, every inconsistency/weirdness can be explained away by "a wizard demon did it" which is boring. I also wonder what's up with the multiple inconsistent timelines varying from each episode to episode. It's hard to see how there can be a "truth" when that truth changes between episodes. I'll probably rush straight to the answers arc anyway, and I hope it all comes together nicely.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
(Higurashi ep6) I haven't played further yet, but this screen has very "photos taken seconds before disaster" energy.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Zeeman posted:

Just wanted to drop in to say I'm so psyched for the AI sequel. I loved the first one but am hoping that this will mean the main character won't have the mentality of a horny 13-year old boy.

Also, if I loved Gnosia, would Raging Loop hit a similar vibe?

Not really. The games in Raging Loop are entirely fixed (but branch depending on your choices), so it doesn't have the "game" element of Gnosia.

It's still a great visual novel, though, but don't go into it with the premise that you will deduce the poo poo out of the games.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Famicom Detective Club

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Danganronpa and Zero Escape are similar in that they are of the genre of "group of characters gets kidnapped and stuck in some location by an unseen mastermind with an agenda, and then they get murdered one by one"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim is a hybrid visual novel/strategy game. Not on Steam though, only PS4 and Switch.

If you are into male gay visual novels instead of all the cutesy lesbian ones, there's Dream Daddy, Coming Out On Top and Boyfriend Dungeon.

edit: some others not mentioned
- Eliza is a good visual novel, though a bit short
- Angels With Scaly Wings is a somewhat horny furry noir detective mystery
- Aviary Attorney is an Ace Attorney-like with classical bird illustrations
- Doki Doki Literature Club is really short, but pretty good
- Hatoful Boyfriend is a dating sim with birds
- Murder By Numbers is a hybrid visual novel/picross detective game
- Overboard! is maybe not technically a visual novel, more a CYOA where you have to get away with murder

There are also lots of games tagged with Visual Novel on Steam that don't fit the normal visual novel format and is more adventure games: Emily Is Away, Emily Is Away Too, To The Moon, Finding Paradise, Impostor Factory, Her Story, Kentucky Route Zero, looK INside, Quarantine Circular, Subsurface Circular, Replica, Detective Grimoire, Tangle Tower, What Remains of Edit Finch

ymgve fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 26, 2022

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Skip Head AS Code and go straight to Birth ME Code. Yes, the latter is a sequel to the former, but the former is total garbage (and kind of borders on incel poo poo) and you don't really need it to follow anything.

I'd say skip Birth ME Code too, considering one of the characters is a pure trans panic caricature, a guy who dresses as a girl to get access to girls and violate them

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Mix. posted:

there are much better indie ZE-likes out there

Can you point me in the direction of some? I basically only know about the ME Code series and Your Turn To Die

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The thing I remember about Chaos Child is that the killer is killing people with an ability that they have not ever been shown to possess before the reveal

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

woodenchicken posted:

When the male culprit revealed himself, I loving lol'd at how stupid he looked, what is that dorky looking helmet, are you kidding me. Way to deflate the whole menacing spirit of the case. Now, the teacher later on was a much better villain imo, a believably nasty fucker.

it's been a while, but I'm talking about the female culprit - if I remember correctly the male one wasn't present for at least one murder, which means that the female culprit have to be able to mind control people in addition to her main ability

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I’m just past the phone booth bit and gonna do some spoilerific speculation: I bet it turns out the killer dude just wants the resurrection ritual so he can revive the girl he killed and then dismember her again

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
When I saw a video trying to explain the game aspects of Process of Elimination, I instantly lost all interest in the game

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The minigame stuff in Rain Code is exhausting, especially coming from Attorney of the Arcane where it's just presenting evidence in quick succession. Yes thank you I love to do a five minute combat sequence for every refutation I make, including cutscenes and loading screens.

I know it has Danganronpa DNA but even in those the minigames were relatively fast paced and quick to do

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Just a few minutes in and I'm gonna throw a wild and probably wrong prediction about Slay The Princess. The princess is an artificial intelligence on an isolated network and you're tasked with turning it off, or releasing it online

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Just started Umineko. First chapter has the main character talking about wanting to fondle his cousin's breasts. Second chapter has the main character talking about wanting to fondle his other cousin's breasts, in the future, when she's not a child anymore.

Ughhhhh.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Starting chapter 3 of Umineko now and I feel a bit of ludonarrative dissonance when it presents everything as a game you can win or lose with difficulty levels for each chapter...when it's a kinetic novel with no choices at all.

(ep2) Also it is weird to have the game show you what happened via cutscenes, then minutes later it has a meta-discussion where the main character tries to explain that no, it could have happened a completely different way. Either the game is lying to me, or these discussions are just useless fluff.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 16, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Is it even possible to "solve" chapters 1 and 2 after finishing them? Seems like there's too little info going around. I've noticed some things that stood out as really odd, though, like Rosa talking to Battler's stepmom and saying something like "both mothers of daughters", or a single line where someone mentions six master keys, while (assuming it can be taken at face value), the witch declares that there are five keys in red text - could just be translation errors, though.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 16, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I guess I don't grasp the rules quite yet. (ep2) My main issue is whether things happening on screen should be taken at face value, or if the game is showing me lies. Because if what's being shown is the truth, everything is clearly supernatural and the mysteries can all be explained away with "a witch did it"

edit: oh god the Hempel's Raven bit in ep3 is so broken logically. THAT IS NOT HOW CONTRAPOSITIVES WORK

ymgve fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 16, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
on ep4 now and I guess one of my theories went out the window - I suspected the clock pointing at the red 12 meant that a chapter would be "canon" and ultimate truth, but in this "12" chapter, the supernatural characters are all over the place. They didn't explicitly mention the method of the first supernatural murders, so I guess it could still hold, but that would mean there are tons of people pretending to be supernatural characters walking around

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Finished Umineko Episode 4 now, and I've got...thoughts. I feel like the game has lied a bit too much and it makes it hard to trust it. The reveal about Kinzo means that basically every scene in Kinzo's study has been a flat out lie - it's not an alternate reality that can be explained if witches exist, it flat out couldn't have happened in either reality. Which then throws every other scene into question too. I'm trusting the game that every text in red is the truth, but even that trust is starting to shake a bit. I also assume everything Battler witnessed personally is true, but it's never been stated. That leaves most of the game in limbo - did the parents even have a fight about the inheritance at all? Did George even give Shannon a ring? Are all the scenes outside of the time of the game a lie too?

I assume that everything will come to a satisfactory conclusion, or the game wouldn't be so well liked, but at the midpoint, I'm a bit conflicted.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

"Shut up, witch!!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Stefan Prodan posted:

maybe that's where I went wrong because I got into episode 8 and I still thought all the magic anime fight scenes from the whole thing were mostly a waste of time but I didn't spend time poring over the details of them because I was too busy just being like "ok well if this isn't happening who gives a gently caress"

very light spoilers about contents of episode 2 and on

yeah, every time an energy sword/shield fight happened or the bunny sisters showed up and started talking in fake-tech speak, I rolled my eyes so hard I now got astigmatism