Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Soundtrack: The Haven (This one is really really good)

Welcome to the exterior of the Kreuzbasar. A major edge that Dragonfall has over its predecessor is that, being that the hub area is a town and not a single building, it feels like an actual city block. There are so many nice touches that brings life into the area in a way that most games never quite get right. By the end of the game, if you're paying attention and talking to every NPC, you start to actually give a poo poo about them all, even the ones you thought you didn't like. I mean, at least I did.

Well, we've got our work cut out for us now. Time to stock up and break the news around town. Monika was well liked here in Berlin.

Welcome to the Data Haven. Can I help you with something?
I'm in the market for something exotic. What kinds of tech do you carry?
Author's note: We don't actually need tech right now. We can't exactly use it, and we're out a decker, but enjoy the flavor anyway.

Anything and everything. Need a new deck? Some software, perhaps? I'm your girl.
[She taps a painted fingernail against the moulded plastic of her datajack.]
Or maybe you're a rigger, like I am? Perhaps I can interest you in a new drone or two?
It all sounds wiz* to me. Let's see what you've got.
Author's note: Wiz is basically used in place of 'Great' or 'Impressive' in most scenarios. Or a Wizard. Safe to assume it means the former here.

Yeah, we'll, uh, come back later. When we want to waste some money on something we can't use.

Well, there's the coffee shop. Maybe Altug will have some choice words for u-

OH HEY THE TALISKRAMER LET'S GO BUY SOME MAGICKS.

Right. David. I actually completely forgot about him.

Oh, hoi, Gretel von Sauerkraut. Have you seen Monika around? I've been looking all over for her.
*awkward deep breath through clenched teeth* Uhhhh... I'm afraid I have some bad news for you, kid.
[The kid blinks, a blank expression on his face.] She's dead, isn't she?
I'm sorry, kid. We all are.
Yeah. Look, I... I think I wanna be alone right now.
Author's note: We never talk to David again. Not by choice, mind, he just doesn't appear again. Most of the minor NPCs still have portraits, which just goes to show how much David matters.

I think I was pretty nice to that kid. Time to reward myself, with MAGIC.

Ugh, it smells like patchouli and methane in here.

Hello, and welcome to Aljernon's. Perhaps I can help you with something?
Yeah you might want to check the stove, it smells like someone's rotten eggs are burning-

Author's note: Sometimes we get stat checks in dialogue. Because we have high enough willpower, we can pick a dialogue option that other characters wouldn't be allowed to...

...which nets us a point of Karma that they also wouldn't be able to get! Incidentally, if you choose to look into her eyes, you can attempt to break focus, but that has a Willpower check of 6. I've never had high enough Willpower early enough to pull that off.

What... what was that? What happened?
My fault, and my apologies. Sometimes, when I daydream, I bring others along for the ride. It was... unintentional. Yes. But there was no harm done, correct? You'll be fine.
No harm done. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go stand in the corner for a while.

...this isn't helping like I hoped it would.

Author's Note: Aljernon was in Dead-Man's Switch, the main Shadowrun: Returns campaign. I... never actually got far enough to see if he ever did more than sell you magic, but I'm assuming his role in this game is just more of the same.

Now, tell me: how may I serve you?
Yeah hi, do you have anything like a... cup of coffee spell? I'd get a soykaf next door but I'm not sure I should actually be walking right now.
...Perhaps I can help you in some other way?
No, really. What's the deal with your assistant?
Absinthe is a friend, nothing more. She helps out around the shop when the fancy strikes her. She is nobody's assistant, and I am no one's master.
But her eyes?
[He pauses for a moment, considering.] I believe that they suit her personality.
...okay to hell with it, maybe asking you about something else will help ground me again.
You are in luck: I have a great many answers.
What kind of magic do you practice? Shamanic? Hermetic?
Personally? The true kind. But I sell goods tailored to all traditions; in my shop, we do not discriminate.
I'm gonna regret asking, but; What's your story? Have you been in the Kreuzbasar long?

...just show me something I can buy so I can leave.

Aljernon's shop has a bunch of spells and items for all types of magical classes, but I've got a few specifics in mind.

Mana Fist isn't necessarily something I should have prioritized, but the Apprentice's Outfit is a straight upgrade to the default outfit and gives us some stats up while we're wearing it. The extra Charisma doesn't net us bonus social etiquettes, but the bonus stats will be counted if we get another Skill Check that they fall under.

Plus it changes our appearance!

Well, I think I'm coming down so I might as well take care of business outside before I pass out.

There are a few little spots like this garden in the Kreuzbasar that don't need to be there, but make it feel like a living breathing community.

The U-Bahn will be more important in the future, but right now we don't need to go down there. Also you can give the street dancer at the corner there some change for her 'performance art', but I haven't actually given enough to see if it does anything.

Ah, just who I wanted to see.

I was actually hoping to ask you a few questions.
You make a purchase, you can ask as many questions as you like. [The corner of his mouth twitches upward.] Make a big enough purchase, and who knows? I might even answer a few.
Always the charmer, eh? In that case, I suppose I'm buying.
[He nods.] Very good.

Oh right I can't yet. Maybe next time, Mettbach!

Don't you gently caress with me!

Well, let's look for something else we can use.

If you've got the cash, ol' Zaak's got the flash.
Oh look, a drug dealer!

Guten Tag, meine Freudin. You here for some magic? Because Zaak Flash... [He gestures at himself with a dramatic flourish.] ...is your magic man.
[Okay Sauerkraut, you can bite your tongue for just a minute, just play along.] Magic? Are you a street mage?
[Zaak lets out a throaty, barking laugh.] Street mage? Me? Do I look like a street mage to you?
[So much for that idea.]
[He shakes his head, but his smile doesn't waver. He fishes a small bag of pills out of his back pocket and dangles it before your eyes.] No, chummber, I'm not a "street mage." I've got the magic in my blood and the magic in these bags, but you won't catch ol' Zaak studying any spellbooks.
Well, in that case, let's talk about the magic you've got in that bag there. What've you got?

So. You wanna conduct a little business?
What's the deal with the special concoction?
[Flash's grin broadens even further. His mouth is disturbingly large, and there's something menacing about the sight of those too-white teeth.] This is the real deal, chummer. A proprietary blend designed and delivered by yours truly. Pharmaceutical-grade kamikaze cut with genuine spirit residue from the Tir and then mixed with my secret blend of herbs and spices.
[stifling laughter] I know a Colonel with 11 of herbs and spices that could give you a hand with your recipe!
No need, chummer. [He produces a small packet filled with iridescent purple granules from the pocket of his dirty jeans.] You wanna get high? Buy some novacoke and throw yourself a party. But if you wanna *soar,* you get yourself some Flash.
PFFFHAHAHA I'm sorry I can't keep this up. Take it easy Zaak, if I ever hit rock bottom I'll make sure you're the first to know.
Author's Note: We'll come back to Zaak later, but god drat the 'herbs and spices' cracks me up.

We can probably afford a handful of medical supplies at least.

The Cyberclinic sticks out like a sore thumb. I mean, you'd expect a hospital to be a clean and professional environment, but it feels like you can't really count on that these days. Also they let dogs inside which adds another layer of how the gently caress to this whole scenario, but I'm not gonna look a gift bayard* in the mouth.

Author's note: Bayard is the largest metahorse. Its ancestors are horses.

Let's not make enemies with the good doctor.
[Step away and wait for him to finish.]

[He extends his hand to you.] I am Dr. Xabier Ezkibel. And your name is...?
[Shake his hand] Gretel von Sauerkraut. A pleasure.
Pleased to meet you, Gretel von Sauerkraut. What can I do for you today?
I'd like to see your cyberware. I'm more than likely not going to be using any of it, but I just like looking at the stuff.

Oh man, look at all this cool poo poo that would just devastate my magic capabilities. Seriously, I wouldn't mind ripping parts out of myself to hit harder, but I just don't see this working for me.

There are medkits and stuff too, but we can't score any of the real life savers here. Feels like the good doctor is holding out on me though. Don't know why. MOVING ON!

No seriously, the colors of the different lights blending together on the streets is gorgeous. Looking at these stills helps me realize how much I love the Kreuzbasar.

Author's note: A simmy is someone who has an addiction to digital simulations, so no, it's not her name. It's like a game listing an NPC as 'Junkie.'

You're high as a kite, aren't you?
We could fly kites. I should ask the Mother Superior.
Mmhm.
She says I'm to be governess to the children.

This story sounds familiar...
Captain von Trapp is very well known and respected. The poor dear lost his wife, and the children their mother.
Oh you've gotta be kidding me it's the loving Sound of Music.
A child should not be without a mother. And a mother should not be without a child. Have you seen the captain?
Look, do you know Monika?
Monika? Is she one of the sisters at the abbey?
Life, I'm talking about life here.
No, wait, Monika... [A flicker of recognition fights through the haze in the young woman's eyes.]

[don't say that one don't say that one don't say that one] Erm, I'm afraid I have some bad news.
[Despite the woman's persistent dilerium, she seems to glean meaning from your tone.] She died?
I'm sorry. She did.
[The girl grips her head with clawlike hands, tugging at her hair as if she might pull her brain out through her skull.] I don't like this... But I can't switch it off.

I'm going to step away now.
[The girl then begins to mumble to herself, while fingering the hair that covers the jack in her head.] Yes, good. I need to rejoin the children.
Poor thing's so simmed out she doesn't even realize she's in a worse hell than reality.

Well, let's get a move on.

You know I've never really taken the time to get a good look at this installation-
...wait what's that noise?

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So what is the role of an adept in a party, exactly? Are they basically the rogue?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The party has no mage. Does this mean no fireballs?

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

SSNeoman posted:

So what is the role of an adept in a party, exactly? Are they basically the rogue?

Honestly from what I've seen the Adept is more of a Mage Tank than anything. Street Samurai probably function better in roguish roles than Adepts do. Adepts seem to be warrior figures that also utilize magic traits. But I've never actually played one before so we'll see how that goes.

Arglebargle III posted:

I mean we can always hire a Mage if we want to. When we get to a point where it matters it'll be addressed in more detail.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Arglebargle III posted:

No mage on the team, chummer? Cyberwear ate your essence and you cannot cast a thing anymore? The Ares Corporation has got your back with our fine phosporus grenades!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

If I'm not wrong, they are the Muscle Wizards of this series, capable of buffing themselves with various kinds of spells to gently caress people up.

I CAST FIST!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Adepts are super melee fighters, who get better attacks and passive boosts from their Chi Casting stat. They won't have the raw stats of a pure Street Samurai who's chromed up, but their melee magic can make up for it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Future Goku.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

wiegieman posted:

Adepts are super melee fighters, who get better attacks and passive boosts from their Chi Casting stat. They won't have the raw stats of a pure Street Samurai who's chromed up, but their melee magic can make up for it.

Though in this game it can be VERY rewarding to chrome up a melee adept.

In fact, I'd say it's the only Very Hard close combat build that's actually viable. At least without wanting to bash your head against a wall.

Power gaming baby :smug:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

wiegieman posted:

There's also the obvious advantage of keeping your emotions and the ability to give a poo poo.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Koorisch posted:

If I'm not wrong, they are the Muscle Wizards of this series, capable of buffing themselves with various kinds of spells to gently caress people up.

I CAST FIST!

wiegieman posted:

Yeah, since you can't exactly run a Social Adept in these games, Adepts in this case are your frontline melee fighters.

I always built my Street Sammies as chromed out gunslingers with extra body and armor as well as a datajack for sweet smartlink action, and their melee stats being secondary, so usually any hired Adepts were my main melee dudes. Then again, Glory Looks like she's built as a prototypical chromed up melee street sam (hand razors!), so we know that build works well.

Arglebargle III posted:

No Gravitas posted:

No mage on the team, chummer? Cyberwear ate your essence and you cannot cast a thing anymore? The Ares Corporation has got your back with our fine phosporus grenades!

Doesn't Dietrich count? Sure, he's technically a Shaman, but he's still got long range nuke capabilities, right? He might not have the pure damage potential as a hermetic mage, but Spirits should make up for that. Or am I thinking too much in RPG terms and not in game terms?

Also, remember to always geek the mage first!

And is BuMoNa supposed to be the Euro version of DocWagon? Some subsidiary of a EuroCorp that has the EMS contract for the Allied German States much like DocWagon handles it for Seattle (and maybe the greater UCAS) and hence why the Trauma kits were branded with their name back in SRR?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 26, 2015

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

GhostStalker posted:

And is BuMoNa supposed to be the Euro version of DocWagon? Some subsidiary of a EuroCorp that has the EMS contract for the Allied German States much like DocWagon handles it for the UCAS and hence why the Trauma kits were branded with them back in SRR?

Yeah BuMoNA is a subsidiary of AG Chemie, which is located in Germany. The biggest difference is that BuMoNa kits can activate on death, which basically serves as an auto-res and is very very handy. I'll probably expand on that if I ever have to use a Trauma kit.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Steak Eater posted:

The biggest difference is that BuMoNa kits can activate on death, which basically serves as an auto-res and is very very handy. I'll probably expand on that if I ever have to use a Trauma kit.

I noticed that in the description. That sounds very useful.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

Doesn't Dietrich count? Sure, he's technically a Shaman, but he's still got long range nuke capabilities, right? He might not have the pure damage potential as a hermetic mage, but Spirits should make up for that. Or am I thinking too much in RPG terms and not in game terms?
No he doesn't count, he'll mostly just miss at long range. If you want long range nuking you use Eiger. She kicks rear end.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Poil posted:

No he doesn't count, he'll mostly just miss at long range. If you want long range nuking you use Eiger. She kicks rear end.

Well of course the chromed sniper kicks rear end at long range. Dietrich still has magical AoE's though, right?

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

GhostStalker posted:

Well of course the chromed sniper kicks rear end at long range. Dietrich still has magical AoE's though, right?

He only has the one that comes with him, but a neat feature in the Director's Cut is that if we wanted to, we could lend him any AOE spells that we buy or find in the world, as long as he has the spellcasting stat to use it. You usually won't need more than Electro Core given certain buffs it will get, but it's always a good option to have.
He also gets something else that his spellcasting benefits from but we'll have to wait on that for a while.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

In the last update, Black IC got mentioned. You can easily gather from context that it's bad mojo, but they don't really get into it. And since we're not a decker ourselves, it probably won't be relevant, but I'm going to :eng101: anyway.

IC, or Intrusion Countermeasures, are basically security programs. They come in three flavors: White IC fucks with software (your programs and persona, nothing a reboot can't fix). Gray IC fucks with hardware (if you've ever heard of "halt and catch fire," it's like that but dead serious). Black IC, which may be straight up illegal depending on where you go but this doesn't stop corps from putting it in the really sensitive places, fucks with wetware (you). It doesn't have to be lethal, but odds are that if you're snooping around somewhere sensitive owned by someone twitchy, they're going to make sure you can't run your mouth about what you saw.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

MechaCrash posted:

In the last update, Black IC got mentioned. You can easily gather from context that it's bad mojo, but they don't really get into it. And since we're not a decker ourselves, it probably won't be relevant, but I'm going to :eng101: anyway.

IC, or Intrusion Countermeasures, are basically security programs. They come in three flavors: White IC fucks with software (your programs and persona, nothing a reboot can't fix). Gray IC fucks with hardware (if you've ever heard of "halt and catch fire," it's like that but dead serious). Black IC, which may be straight up illegal depending on where you go but this doesn't stop corps from putting it in the really sensitive places, fucks with wetware (you). It doesn't have to be lethal, but odds are that if you're snooping around somewhere sensitive owned by someone twitchy, they're going to make sure you can't run your mouth about what you saw.

I'll probably explain the gameplay mechanics when we find them during the campaign, but this is actually pretty important for context so thanks for bringing it up!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GhostStalker posted:

No, you got it. Dietrich is weird because of one of his special abilities is an AoE nuke, something usually reserved for mages. And he's got access to spirits and shaman buffs. He's basically better than a mage at anything but pure damage dealing and the rest of the party has you covered in that regard: they're all hybrid classes that eventually get access to just about every skill tree in the game. Except for adept, which is why I'm happy Gretel ended up as she did.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 27, 2015

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

God I hope we get Gun Adepts in SR Hong Kong. I just want the game to be one big scene from The Matrix, is that too much to ask?

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

wiegieman posted:

God I hope we get Gun Adepts in SR Hong Kong. I just want the game to be one big scene from The Matrix, is that too much to ask?

I think there's already a Workshop mod that'll let you do that.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

kaosdrachen posted:

I think there's already a Workshop mod that'll let you do that.

There is in fact, but to fully use it you have to know how to mess with the campaign vendor lists.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are you just buying upgrades for yourself, or are you on the hook to upgrade all your other party members?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They mostly level up on their own, but every once in a while you'll get to choose one of two upgrades for them. You can also lend them items.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Glazius posted:

Are you just buying upgrades for yourself, or are you on the hook to upgrade all your other party members?

anilEhilated posted:

They mostly level up on their own, but every once in a while you'll get to choose one of two upgrades for them. You can also lend them items.

Yeah, they have their own weapons, which (I'm pretty sure) upgrade with them as the game progresses, but they also have skill choices you choose as they level, and you can buy consumables that you lend them at the beginning of a run.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, they have their own weapons, which (I'm pretty sure) upgrade with them as the game progresses, but they also have skill choices you choose as they level, and you can buy consumables that you lend them at the beginning of a run.

One of the best changes in the DC, the original only gave them mechanical boosts at the end of their personal quests.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Just an aside: your crew has "locked in" items they'll always carry. Weapons, Armor, and consumables (medkits/grenades). They may have an empty slot or two for you to lend them other items. Typically their armor is always locked, they may have one open weapon slot, and they'll almost always have 1 or 2 consumable slots open. Dietrich tends to have a bunch of the latter. But you can't load up on all the best armor and swap it onto everyone.

The good news is that their leveling will keep them pretty even with your enemies, especially if you do the sidequests.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have to be completely honest about two things in this thread:

1)I ate the currywurst

2)I don't like movie theatre "butter topping" on popcorn.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
I just played most of the game.

Omnious semi spoiling:

-It is pretty short after all
-The locations are named after real locations in Berlin, but the geography of those places has not much to do with reality. The game isnt exactly in the present though.
-It would have been prudent if the developers allowed some way of viewing your teammates stats while shopping.
-Some of the decisions were pretty intense. Not having some morality meter made those far more meaningfull. Some are kind of "easy", some seriously arent. I also like that Dragonfall actually subverts its own trope in at least one occassion.
-You could probably use steam achievements to write a sociology thesis. It would be, from a sociology standpoint, really interesting what kind of correllations exist between the decisions one makes and sociodemographic factors.

-One of the missions had perhaps the best "Oh gently caress you game" moment I had in my pretty long gaming history, which was a lot more cooler because it was not an arbitrary "gently caress you player" thing but actually completely reasonable in context.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Mightypeon posted:

I just played most of the game.

Omnious semi spoiling:

What mission? You can just give the "name" for it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

OAquinas posted:

I'm curious too. I really felt that way on a mission that stopped me dead, and I wonder if it's the same.

Also, I named my decker 'DOS Boot', and I was really pleased with myself.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Oh man I should probably say something in this thread huh.
Yeah a lot of stress due to working retail before a holiday and me finally figuring out how to play Dark Souls has gotten a bit in the way of my update 'schedule' but I plan to (at some point) get a new update out. I haven't abandoned this just yet, so never fear!

But in all honesty it's probably gonna take me a while before I'm ready to transcribe more pages of dialogue. Feel free to keep chatting about the game though (and I'm also curious what mission Mightypeon is talking about).

also I guess posting without an update after a week of inactivity is my APRIL FOOLS joke 4 days later

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

OAquinas posted:

Best Mr. Schmidt impersonation voice:

A mission that is named like a pretty popular computer role playing game from a setting that shares a couple of things with the shadowrun setting and which still has a lets play going on right here.

And it is about more or less the last thing you end up doing in that mission. Failing to take into account that you have to do it can lead to hilarious consequences.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mightypeon posted:

A mission that is named like a pretty popular computer role playing game from a setting that shares a couple of things with the shadowrun setting and which still has a lets play going on right here.

And it is about more or less the last thing you end up doing in that mission. Failing to take into account that you have to do it can lead to hilarious consequences.

It took me about 5 minutes to figure this out, but once I did...

Yup, it was a very delightful moment of "NOOOO" and I barely made it through on my first playthrough.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mightypeon posted:

Seriously?

In related news, it's stupid how poorly documented Dragonfall is online. I'm not even talking about walkthroughs or secrets or Fallout style wikis - just a basic list of all the missions in the game. Can't be found via a cursory google search. What the poo poo.

Tommy_Blanco
Oct 29, 2011

Xander77 posted:

In related news, it's stupid how poorly documented Dragonfall is online. I'm not even talking about walkthroughs or secrets or Fallout style wikis - just a basic list of all the missions in the game. Can't be found via a cursory google search. What the poo poo.

Yeah, it's strange that no one/site has done any kind of walk-through for this game or even hbs putting out a strategy guide. I ended up having to browse steam and gog forum threads on a couple spots for trouble spots because the few lets plays I found on youtube were obnoxious because of face cam/reading all the text out loud I get the irony that in a real game of SR, the gm would be reading everything outloud, but it was off putting to me).

Tommy_Blanco fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 6, 2015

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Some very basic completely non spoilery strategy advice:

1: Enemies usually come in similiar archetypes to your own guys. Know how to properly prioritize targets. Shooting anything "unconventional" first is a very good idea.
2: Often, the enemy will start in covered positions when you approach them. Retreating can often draw a fraction of the enemies out. Some enemies really like their cover and will stay put, but this very rarely applies to all the enemies. A feigned retreat can thus often be used to seperate more "adventurous" enemies from "defensive" ones and allow you to defeat enemy parties in detail.
3: When it comes to equipment, f.e. a Street Samurai is often well advised to bring 2 assault rifles and one sniper rifle. Certain skills eat through ammunition quickly, and changing the utilized weapon does not actually cost action points.
4: Some conjurer spells, f.e. Glue, can and should be bought early. Preventing certain types of enemies from moving is a godsend.
5: Do actions in the proper order. Various characters can either increase the accuracy of one of your characters, or increase the accuracy of everyone who fires at a "marked" target. Do those things before firing with someone. This can be harder then it sounds.
6: The items each non player character possesses do get "regenerated" after each mission. Use them.
7: If a spirit starts reaching the breaking point, it is often prudent to let him run up to the enemy. Should control be lost, he is still their problem.
8: In my experience, and individual AI unit will often, but by no means always, fire at whoever hit it last. This can be used to protect weaker characters. As a corollary, strong character, or characters in good cover, should consider firing last in order to maximize shoots that go on them, and not on easier to hit allies.
9: Note that mellee, or grenade considerations, often override the "who hit my latest" question when the AI makes the decision of whom it should fire at.

Concerning the supporting characters: All of them are actually serviceable, but none of them is as good as a completely player controlled character would be.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Steak Eater posted:

Oh man I should probably say something in this thread huh.
Yeah a lot of stress due to working retail before a holiday and me finally figuring out how to play Dark Souls has gotten a bit in the way of my update 'schedule' but I plan to (at some point) get a new update out. I haven't abandoned this just yet, so never fear!

But in all honesty it's probably gonna take me a while before I'm ready to transcribe more pages of dialogue. Feel free to keep chatting about the game though (and I'm also curious what mission Mightypeon is talking about).

also I guess posting without an update after a week of inactivity is my APRIL FOOLS joke 4 days later

I don't know what it is, but I have heard of a program that transcribes dialogue for you mentioned in another thread, unfortunately I can't remember where. Maybe ask about that in the sandcastle?

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
The sleeping dogs thread mentioned it I'll see if I can find it.

Edit:

S.D. posted:

Capture2Text was recently recommended in the LP Sandbox thread - it's a program that can copy text in a screenshot to your clipboard. It's worth a shot if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Mightypeon posted:

Some very basic completely non spoilery strategy advice:

1: Enemies usually come in similiar archetypes to your own guys. Know how to properly prioritize targets. Shooting anything "unconventional" first is a very good idea.
2: Often, the enemy will start in covered positions when you approach them. Retreating can often draw a fraction of the enemies out. Some enemies really like their cover and will stay put, but this very rarely applies to all the enemies. A feigned retreat can thus often be used to seperate more "adventurous" enemies from "defensive" ones and allow you to defeat enemy parties in detail.
3: When it comes to equipment, f.e. a Street Samurai is often well advised to bring 2 assault rifles and one sniper rifle. Certain skills eat through ammunition quickly, and changing the utilized weapon does not actually cost action points.
4: Some conjurer spells, f.e. Glue, can and should be bought early. Preventing certain types of enemies from moving is a godsend.
5: Do actions in the proper order. Various characters can either increase the accuracy of one of your characters, or increase the accuracy of everyone who fires at a "marked" target. Do those things before firing with someone. This can be harder then it sounds.
6: The items each non player character possesses do get "regenerated" after each mission. Use them.
7: If a spirit starts reaching the breaking point, it is often prudent to let him run up to the enemy. Should control be lost, he is still their problem.
8: In my experience, and individual AI unit will often, but by no means always, fire at whoever hit it last. This can be used to protect weaker characters. As a corollary, strong character, or characters in good cover, should consider firing last in order to maximize shoots that go on them, and not on easier to hit allies.
9: Note that mellee, or grenade considerations, often override the "who hit my latest" question when the AI makes the decision of whom it should fire at.

Concerning the supporting characters: All of them are actually serviceable, but none of them is as good as a completely player controlled character would be.
Good writedown but "geek the Mage" stands as my first and only combat rule.

• Locked thread