Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Internet Kraken posted:

Its an earth elemental he evoked.

FR: Stone of Tremors earth elementals throw large rocks.

That'd make Tremors actually worth using, and give it a niche compared to the other elemental evokers -- ranged attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
<Sizzell> Brannock the Sorcerer (L27 MiWz), worshipper of Cheibriados, escaped with the Orb and 4 runes, with 2721514 points after 57233 turns and 2:08:38.
<Sequell> brannock is a greaterminotaur!
<Sequell> brannock is a greaterplayer!

I'm sliiiiightly salty about this game since I lost my first MiWz to banishment (with a MR+++ shield in inventory that I was holding off on using since it had rF-; but I was in Spider and had no fear of fire) which would have easily been one of the first 3 to finish for the 0.16 tournament. But it's good to finally get that out of the way! And, for now, I hold the top score.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

LogicNinja posted:

This just keeps happening and it's loving awful and dumb. item-ruining properties spawn on randarts WAY too often and I'm mad and salty about it.

rC- isn't anywhere near item-ruining.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fhqwhgads posted:

First game in the tourney and my MiBe was gifted an antimagic exe axe almost immediately. I readID'd a scroll of brand weapon and it's now freezing. If I'm just going for a 3-runer, is freezing the best brand or should I try to get AM again? (yes this is hubris since I got plate mail and an exe axe before lair).

Freezing will cut through orbs of fire, and executioner's axes already have such staggeringly high base damage that you'll be killing liches and casters in a few turns at most. Either would have been fine, really. If you can make it to Zot then you don't have much to worry about -- just getting to Zot is the hard part. I prefer freezing over antimagic because I like having a mana pool.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Hoo boy, playing a -1 aptitude race after 24 Minotaurs is a wakeup call.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I have to say I really approve of a lot of those new Elf:3 layouts. A bunch of them seem specifically set up to prevent killholes, without just arbitrarily giving the entire level stonewalls or Dig to deep elven sorcerers. Sometimes you'll be able to do it, other times you have to approach it differently. I think a lot of players don't fully appreciate how layouts and vaults can change how you approach challenges.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Nonetheless, got a win for Hellfire can't melt Steel Golems, that's two on the board.

Make that three!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Aston posted:

I'm getting there too, I'm not sure if I should try and go for Vow of Courage 3 or just head for Zot now.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Aston/Aston.txt

E: I'm probably going for Slime and Vaults runes anyway, but Tomb is....well, it's Tomb.

Invest in some Dodging, friend. It'll take all of one Vaults floor to get that Dodging up from 1.5 to 10 and you'll get 3-5 EV out of it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I found rF- gloves... and I'm wearing them. :black101:

code:
 z - the +1 pair of gloves of Strumahot (worn) {rElec rF- Str+4 Slay+2}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Swamp)
(Having rF+ innate mutation helps!)

Sage Grimm posted:

PleasingFungus, would it be possible for a warning to be made before reading a scroll if you're affected by Slow Reading mutation, much like what has been done with Manticore barbs?

I could have sworn this was previously added. What happened to that?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fhqwhgads posted:

I have a pretty powerful (for three runes) MiBe ready to tackle Zot, except there is no rMut to be found anywhere. I want my first ever tourney win, but is it suicidal to try for the rune without it?

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Fhqwhgads/Fhqwhgads.txt

You have a potion of cure mutation. Just pop that if you get a serious malmut. rMut is nice, but hardly mandatory (especially since you're on the precipice of winning and any long-term strategical mutations shouldn't matter at this point).

With a freeze exeaxe, 266 HP, rF++, and 54/16 defenses you should be okay against OoFs. Use scrolls of fog as necessary to bring them to you, if you see them out in the open.

Frankly I'd be more concerned about ancient liches than orbs with your low EV and zero SH. Fortunately Trog's Hand should provide you with sufficient MR against any nasty ailments. Take Zot carefully and meticulously and you should be fine.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
<Sizzell> Brannock the Merfolkian Barricade (L27 MfFi), worshipper of Cheibriados, escaped with the Orb and 5 runes, with 3449773 points after 64576 turns and 2:32:05.
<Sequell> Brannock has 3 consecutive wins (MiWz, DsGl, MfFi), and can keep going!

At this point playing Chei almost feels like cheating to me. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the community to get two separate three-streaks with Chei.

I'm going to go outside now and take a nice long walk in this fantastic weather we've been having lately in the Great Lakes area.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Floodkiller posted:

code:
An item of great butt still resides in this realm, and once you butt you can never return. 
Are you sure you want to leave? 

You butts through the gate.
Oh my god I'm an idiot (I killed Cerebov too) :negative:

Something like this would be easily prevented by requiring a "yes." prompt like Zot traps do, instead of a "Y". Devs??

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'd rather have a shop mimic than a loving food shop.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Colour posted:

dove to Abyss 5 looking for the rune, and got killed there.

I'm sure you know this now, but for the benefit of others reading this: You shouldn't do this until you're very confident that you can take on anything the Abyss throws at you and survive without more than a few scratches. Abyss 5 has a pretty nuts spawn rate.

I typically limit myself to Abyss 4 if I'm feeling impatient. I'll only go into 5 if I'm just o-tabbing through the entire area and want to get it over with.

Fhqwhgads posted:

You Go Zig, I'll Gozag is on the board!

Good job dude!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
:pcgaming: Four in a Row!! :pcgaming:

<Sizzell> Brannock the Hoplite (L27 GrAs), worshipper of Cheibriados, escaped with the Orb and 4 runes, with 2892642 points after 49028 turns and 2:37:54.
<Sequell> Brannock has 4 consecutive wins (MiWz, DsGl, MfFi, GrAs), and can keep going!

Holy gently caress I am done for today. Got plans tonight. Plus I need some loving time off after four victories in a bit over 24 hours.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Aw poo poo, good job IK and LJ. Sorry to hear that Stoats :( You'll get it eventually! Around Titans I always turn off flight if I have it on. Spriggan Air Mages, too, if I'm squishy like Gargoyles/Tengu tend to be.

vOv posted:

It just seemed like a shittier version of that OpTm^Chei I kicked faces in with earlier. Is there a trick?

Ru is very similar to Chei in that you take a harsh conduct in exchange for being set significantly ahead of the power curve. They're not good choices if you're struggling to keep up with the Dungeon in the first place -- their conduct will just end up killing you. But if you're already doing well, Ru/Chei will loving lock down the game for you and make it virtually impossible to lose as long as you play reasonably.

Yellow drain isn't very bad at all though, that's like 1-2 levels of drain max. You could have tried sneaking around Depths to find easy enemies to nobble up to restore your drain. Once you get to the Vaults/Depths part of the game (and especially past it) you recover drain so quickly that you can Apocalypse nearly every other fight.

That's also Ru's advantage over Chei, actually -- Apocalypse actually kills things in one shot. Slouch falls off pretty badly and you can end up spamming it several times in a row in Depths/Zot just to kill one measly enemy, and if you've been relying on Slouch to cover your rear end you'll find yourself out of piety very quickly which is especially brutal for Chei followers.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Man I sure need a weapon to float me through the early game until I can find a decent axe.

code:
 s - the +8 spear of Trauma (weapon) {freeze, +Fly rPois SInv}
   (You found it on level 6 of the Dungeon)   
Why thank you. Now I'm just missing a glove slot, then I'll have a full loadout.

code:
 E - the +2 pair of gloves of the Twelve Wonders (worn) {MR++}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Lair of Beasts)
Good names.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
<Sizzell> Brannock the Orcish Aeon (L27 HOFi), worshipper of Cheibriados, escaped with the Orb and 5 runes, with 3709894 points after 58789 turns and 2:44:00.
<Sequell> Brannock has 5 consecutive wins (MiWz, DsGl, MfFi, GrAs, HOFi), and can keep going!

The gods were in favor of this run. I used the poo poo out of the shield and armour, and found the ring (which I didn't use, because it's bad) in Zot.
code:
 S - the +5 shield of Ashenzari's Supremacy (worn) {rElec MP+9 Str+2 Slay+2}
 Z - the +10 plate armour of Dithmenos' Fury {MR+ rCorr Str+2 Dex-3 Slay+3}
 M - the ring of Yredelemnul's Pride {Wiz rElec Int+6 Dex+2 Slay-5}
I killed this guy's ghost in Zot. I have no idea why the gently caress he decided no fire resistance in Zot was even remotely a good idea. He had on an artefact ring that gave Ice, rPois, and +3 slaying. The rPois is redundant with his golden dragon armour, he didn't need a 3rd pip of cold resistance, so I can only assume he thought the +3 slaying was worth giving up fire resistance for. The greed was breathtaking.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
<Sizzell> Brannock the Heavyweight Champion (L27 TrFi), worshipper of Cheibriados, escaped with the Orb and 3 runes, with 2033156 points after 50986 turns and 2:16:20.
<Sequell> Brannock has 6 consecutive wins (MiWz, DsGl, MfFi, GrAs, HOFi, TrFi), and can keep going!

I don't even loving know what to think. Suddenly I've become a legendary shining avatar of Cheibriados. Before this day last week my best streak was two. Then I knock off three and then six in a row. It's starting to make me feel a little :tinfoil:ish. Maybe something really did go wrong in an unrelated commit and Crawl is unintentionally easier now???

Also I just found out that repeated backgrounds don't count towards a streak for tournament purposes. That's what I get for trying to knock off greatfighter :saddowns:

PleasingFungus posted:

More relevantly, it's worth noting that the benefits from resists diminish very quickly. rF/rC+ halve the corresponding elemental damage; ++ reduces it to 1/3rd, and +++ reduces it to 1/5th. That means that if that fire breath would hit you for 50 points without any resists, rF+ cuts off 25 damage, but ++ only cuts off another 8 or 9 damage, and +++ only 6 or 7.

This is correct, but slightly misleading I think. One pip of resistance doubles your effective health against that damage. Two pips triples it. Three multiplies it by five. If you had 100 HP, with + you'd have 200 effective health against all fire damage (before AC reductions). With ++ you have 300. With +++ you have 500. The third pip of resistance is actually the most beneficial, adding 200 eHP instead of 100.

Of course there's a lot of other factors mixed in here that the above numbers aren't the whole story (regeneration, chip damage being more than easily handled, spike damage being what kills most Crawlers, evasion/armor/positioning affecting all this, most damage being physical...)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What should I acquire on my DEWr? Normally I'd ask for a big weapon and start murdering dudes with it but I already have a +9 flail that should last me for quite a long time. I don't have many books identified yet and I'm not sure how book acquirement works. Armour? Wands? I don't want to pick up a staff yet before my DE becomes more developed.

(P.S.: If you look through my history you can see some pretty horrible results from mutation roulette :v:)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
There goes that streak. Took a bad blink while fighting a griffon and ended up right next to it again, got double-hit.

Always use your consumables, friends!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm glad I finished playing ants before shadow traps were added. Not being able to teleport away from them would be a nightmare.

If you get shadow trapped in a corridor you can just burrow a killhole. Out in the open you can shaft. Not ideal, of course.

Formicids actually shouldn't have too much of an issue with shadow traps since they're typically packing a shield and heavy armor..

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

IronicDongz posted:

slashem is really really bad

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The only issue with Yred is that after a certain point it's functionally impossible to regain piety.

Pain Mirror also has a total loving bullshit piety cost compared to the actual benefit of the ability. Yred is "good" but actually just sucks really loving hard.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Yred's piety issues don't only start at extended, they can start in Zot too if you've cleared out the rest of the game prior to Zot. Oops your army got wiped out in Zot? Good luck getting enough piety back to take on the lungs when the only piety you can get is from waiting for respawns! Oh hey Yred has piety decay?

And if your character is strong enough to have taken on the lungs without Yred's assistance, then, well, why do you even have Yred in the first place?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Wow the tournament winrate has dropped over a full percentage point since the weekend.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Stoat posted:

Is there any reason why the game slowly gets laggier and laggier on Chrome? Is there a better browser for it?

There's a memory leak or something along those lines. Just save and force refresh the page every ~10-15 minutes.

edit: Recalling some earlier discussions on it from I think IRC, someone pointed out that it happens faster when there's a lot of ranged combat. I also notice that the slowdown happens much more quickly in the late game. Early on I can go 30-45 minutes easily at acceptably high speeds. During Vaults and later, I'm reloading every 10-15 minutes, especially on certain Depths layouts. I think it might have something to do with amount of items generated and tracked.

Brannock fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 19, 2015

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
You can pop into Swamp and hope to see a swamp dragon on S:1 or S:2 and skin it for WDA.

Alternatively, high AC makes it difficult for spiders to poison you.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Aston posted:

Man, how long have there been tentactled monstrosities in swamp?!

I think they're part of a specific vault? I may be mistaken.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ugly John posted:

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/uglyjohn/morgue-uglyjohn-20150320-031024.txt

gently caress everything I hate this game so goddamn much

Why didn't you quaff heal wounds?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Slay -3 isn't really that big of a deal most of the time unless you're using quickblades or demon whips.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
No wonder Chei was feeling particularly effective at killduding...

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh, that makes all my victories this tournament feel really cheap.

Yeah, same

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Maxmaps posted:

Lets just keep the bug in because it finally made melee feel enjoyable, guys. :shobon:

Melee was already better and more reliable than casting for the most part, until you managed to survive to the point where you can cast the game-breaking Level 9 stuff.

I'm amused that something as major as double loving damage was in Crawl for at least over a week and no one really noticed, other than pointing out that the winrates seemed way too high.

I didn't really notice but I did guess right!

Brannock posted:

Before this day last week my best streak was two. Then I knock off three and then six in a row. It's starting to make me feel a little :tinfoil:ish. Maybe something really did go wrong in an unrelated commit and Crawl is unintentionally easier now???

Brannock fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 22, 2015

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Just blink past it.

Are you wearing Gong?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
After some reflection I don't mind the bug really. Everyone benefited from it, and I play primarily trunk where it's specifically imbalanced (until the devs fix something) and my trunk wins count just as much as my tournament wins. If you played pre-nerf Ru or you stacked elemental evokers do your wins suddenly not count anymore now that the devs fixed those?

The Week of Double Damage was pretty fun.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ramc posted:

edit: Got your Slime 6 ghost, Brannock.

Turns out rCorr doesn't do all that much for keeping corrosion stacks under control! I hope that ghost gave you a hell of a time.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Stoat posted:

Wait, Gargoyles can't learn Statue form anymore?

Can Humans learn Human Form?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Just won a DDFi of not-Cheibriados (4 fighters to go before greatfighter) and soon after grabbing the ORB I realized I hadn't used Haste a single time in that entire game.

I think I'm taking it too easy, guys.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Oh! Nice, a scroll of acquirement in a D:10 shop. Only 624 gold, I'll buy it no problem.

code:
K - 3 scrolls of acquirement (gained 1)
Whoa! My draconian has weapon covered and already has a wand of heal wounds so armour it is.

code:
H - a pair of faintly humming boots
You finish putting on the +1 pair of boots of Virtue {rN+ Str+3 Int+5}.

I - a translucent cloak
You finish putting on the +3 cloak of Zudd {rPois rC+ Regen+ Str+4 Stlth-}.

J - a pair of runed gloves
You finish putting on your +1 pair of gloves of dexterity.
:smaug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Restored a bit of my wounded pride from meleebug by streaking DDFi into DrFi. Only three fighters to go!

InternetKraken, sorry about your centaur :(

• Locked thread