Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The McLaren garage looked very, very tense.

Of course the Mercedes are also 1 second plus ahead of Bottas, but I'm wondering if the STR's both being in the top six is actual pace or a real strange fluke. Guess we'll wait and see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

poopzilla posted:

pretty sure you have to have NBCSN on your tv package to use their streaming.

you should chat with the nice folks in irc

Might be a way to get into the streaming site without purchasing that all for yourself. I'm piggybacking on my family's logins and it owwwwns.

I also love all the whining by the Euros about race time. Sack up, the super-early start is what we have in the western US for every race you get on a Sunday afternoon. Moving to Japan made it so much easier to watch F1 :japan:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Riso posted:

:lol: Williams has hired Don't-glass-me-Sutil as replacement driver because Suzie has no superlicense.

Slash Sutil has a not-unsubstantial amount of money that he can no longer shop around now that the WEC has set all the driver lineups.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Funzo posted:

So how can Suzie actually get a superlicense? Wouldn't she have to compete in one of the lower series for that? If she's just Williams' test driver, does she really have any chance to qualify for one?

yeah, she'd have to run lower formulae, and from memory the last thing she ran full-time was DTM before she married Toto Wolff, and that isn't even listed on the Super License points scale anymore. And not just run lower stuff but also succeed, too, which, well, probably lol.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Indeed, next year he wouldn't qualify.

you think he's in WEC this year to keep Superlicense points up?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Marcus Ericsson, loving hell. Burn twice as bright but spin off after four laps.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Julian Ryder and Keith Huwen, might be off on the spelling.

I think they're second only to the Eurosport MotoGP team, which was Julian, Toby Moody and Randy Mamola.

That old Eurosport booth (which was replayed in America often too) was so, so drat good.

Haven't heard BBC or Sky this year and I don't mind the American NBCSN booth, but NBCSN goes to break soooooooooo often.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Mercedes are big cheats, even bigger cheats than McLaren and I can't wait for Our Lewis to post one of their stolen Ferrari files on his instagram.

that would insinuate that Ferrari know what they're doing right now (remember, those files were from when Ferrari were a well-run British team and not the slap-dash Italian nonsense we have now)

clearly he'd be posting Red Bull files instead

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pretty sure that TAG (or the guy who owns/owned TAG) still has a big stake in McLaren. I dunno, I'm easily amused so we'll see what all this nonsense is about. Beats no news at all.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

They spent 120 Million less than Porsche and Audi last year and beat them.

And it was engineering money, not marketing, too. Dome chassis plus surplus Super GT V8 plus cool hybrid system equals ONE THOUSAND HORSEPOWER.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Beyond the canned business jargon, that is both a better livery than before and a much easier to read one. In particular the numbers were loving impossible to read, and notice that all the other sponsors that were previously in black (like Honda on the air box) are now in white. Still funny they can't seem to find someone to step up to their demands. As I think wicka pointed out long ago, McLaren is pulling in lots of sponsorship money equal or greater to everyone bar Ferrari, and Ron isn't thinking "biggest sponsor = title sponsor" but that "title sponsor value = half our annual budget" which isn't the cost it was long ago.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Would you want your company's name on that shitbox flame livery garbage?

watching some races and footage from 2001 and 2003 the last couple days, and man, the types of sponsors and amount of sponsors on everybody bar the last couple teams on the grid (Arrows, Prost, Minardi basically) is pretty stunning. Especially 2001, when even mid-pack teams like Sauber had some good money coming in.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Norns posted:

A lot of that was tobacco money, right?

a lot of teams still had anchor tobacco sponsorships, yeah, but just in general the cars had more and better coverage than we see now. Williams were trying the tobacco-free deal and had a computer firm and a few other major bank/insurance groups tied in thanks to BMW; Jordan had some big companies (Infineon, DHL) as smaller sponsors, Jaguar too. Compare the Sauber then (with backing from Red Bull and Credit Suisse) to the Sauber now (which has a title sponsor tied with Nasr but in the last four years has been grey and white and blank as hell) and it's a massive change. I'm not sure budgets have skyrocketed now compared to then, but it's just not something that can draw sponsors outside of maybe two or three teams now, and it wasn't always that way.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Norns posted:

Isn't the current merc team just a continuation of Brawn too?

Basically. Not sure how much of the personnel is carried over, but IIRC the facility is the same.

Audi isn't going to F1, it would cost them close to a billion dollars to enter and get started and they need to cut five billion from their road-car department :psyduck: I think they'll stay in WEC, and the GT3 program makes enough money.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

Anyone know of any decent paid streaming sites for f1 or if sky/BBC have some kind of stream for international?

Depending on where you are there may be better options. If you/somebody you know has cable and a login email you can try to get NBC Sports working, or try to get a free VPN going to gain access to BBC. Canadian TSN or Australian coverage may be worth a look too, I think the Australian one is just BBC with some local studio coverage.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

julian assflange posted:

Can someone explain what Audi/VAG would get out of F1 aside from marketing vis?

Porsche flying the flag in WEC, Audi in F1. But that's assuming it is worse for them to compete in the same series than divide and conquer.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

In contrast, Formula-E, which is a real racing series run by people who want to promote racing, has every one of their races in full on youtube and they're entertaining races too. Formula 1, the worst formula.

If the WEC had more highlights on YouTube (officially) it would be Even Better but as it stands, both WEC and Formula E are glimpses into a better-run future.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

krushgroove posted:

There's also being in the right place at the right time. A win's a win.

Speaking of which, I'm finishing watching the 2003 Brazilian Grand Prix and the Jordan crew are going crazy, Bad Luck Mahk Webbah and Alonso are kind of shaken up, Fisi's car caught fire in Park Ferme, and nobody knows who won the drat race.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I want Rosberg to win the championship this year because of some minor team fuckups for lewis.

The tears will be glorious.

honestly last year was his best chance. go take a look again at all the nonsense that happened to Lewis in qualifying or the race in that mid-season stretch, and Lewis STILL wound up winning the championship.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alain Post posted:

I lost it to someone mass-buying avs in the wrestling forum. RIP Rubens.

why do I always miss out on poo poo like that

that said, I almost want to buy you a different Prost one just to troll you too

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Back to the days of Nigel Mansell, where the drivers were in charge of controlling their unruly cars.

I love this for so many reasons.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Yeah there was certainly skill in driving those spaceships. Patrese could just never do it as he proved to an even more extreme level when Benetton somehow decided he was a better pick than Martin Brundle.

that was a point I was thinking about earlier, I've read about the FW14B and like was mentioned apparently you just had to pray that there was grip and magically it would appear. That spooked Patrese, but Nigel didn't have those problems. Seems like the hydraulic suspensions removed a lot of seat-of-the-pants feel for grip.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

What I read months ago that made sense is that Renault enjoy being in F1 for their brand and, while being an engine supplier is good and cheaper than running a works team as well, they didn't see enough ROI - even from being Red Bull's partner for four straight years and eight total titles (driver's and constructor's). So they have to push in and have their own team again for marketing purposes. The natural choice would be Lotus/that team in Enstone who used to be Renault. The other stupid rumor was Renault getting out of F1 and selling their engine facility to Red Bull, but that doesn't seem likely at the moment.

The worst thing of all this is Renault pushed hard for these regulations. Turbos? Turbo 1.6 V6s? All of the hybrid power? That's all what Renault wanted. But now they're getting smoked by Mercedes, and want to leave? Doubtful. They just need to get their poo poo together engine-wise.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Talk of Aston-Martin and LMP1s and nobody mentioned this? For shame, people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agsd2dBAN-Q

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Japanese GP should never have been on that late to begin with. Go look at podium and post-race photos from the last few years (from 2009 on) and it's always well past sunset. Add in the rain and the tractor that should never have been there and it's the mix for a tragic accident.

Not coincidentally, those are two changes being made to this season. More appropriate start times (even if it's not "perfect" for European TV) and tighter controls on what equipment is out and how yellows/VSC are handled.

It's sad F1 only made these changes after the worst possible result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

HJB posted:

Just as a reminder that we're living in a world of extreme over-reactions to everything, Jules' #17 is being retired by the FIA. No really.

I'm pretty sure both Daijiro Kato and Marco Simoncelli's numbers were retired (officially or unofficially) by MotoGP, so. Precedent.

• Locked thread