Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I've decided to do a spec miata in the livery of a failed f1 team. What would be the funniest? And preferably something recognisable to a spectator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Didnt this happen with the last engine formula too? Renault bitched that the V10s were not relevant, asked for smaller engines, bodged the build and were down on power and started threatening to quit and around 2008 or so the FIA had to supervise letting renault modify their engine to "catch up" with the mercades, who had gotten it right right away than too? The next year red bull won their first race

You know who won the WDC for four years after that, yea?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

MZ posted:

BBC did a side-by-side of Button's & Hamilton's quali laps and it is staggering just how far behind the McLaren is even by the first corner. It looks like it's missing 100bhp or something.

Force India is probibly missing 100 horsepower, Red bull 175, and mclaren like 300.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Riso posted:

Why would Force India, a Mercedes powered team, have a HP gap? Are you somehow confusing faux-Mclaren with Ferrari?

You are assuming that all mercedes engined teams are all getting identical spec engines.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
And because force india appears down on power compared to even the williams, i assumed that some ECU tuning is done on the team end, and williams had better techs than FI or at least more money to spend. Despite all of them being mercedes team cars, there is only one works car.

Not to go too TFR, but i happen to like collecting very old military rifles. And one of the cheapest is the russian mosin-nagant, which they made bazillions of and used to be priced at something like $70. All Mosin-nagants are mosin-nagants, but early ones have better casting and other features and is considered to be actually better than later versions (this is sort of like the williams engine), later they made a cheaper one that is pretty much the same, but the performance (reliability and safety, really) is reduced this is the FI engine. Finally on the assembly line they would inspect all of them and decide that the grain of the metal was a little stronger on this one, the barrel a little straighter, the rifling a little better. These would be taken off the line and modified into sniper weapons. In this analogy this is the Works engine. All of them are the same gun, and there was really only one minor production revision, but one submodel is clearly superior, and got different treatment.

So no, when i said Force india might be down 100 horsepower, i didnt think they were mclaren Riso.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 17, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Riso you are clearly well informed about F1 and i respect your opinion, but there is no need to call me a hick. And you do of course know that trap speed is as much a function of power as it is air density and whether someone happened to clear away the marbles or debris from your track-out on the corner before the main straight. So much goes into it that i cannot reliably say its representative of power. Personally i theorize that its a good way to compare and contrast aero setups between teams and who is trying to make up a power deficit in the corners, and this is no more or less valid than your statement. By the way as far as "hick" goes i am a cultural northerner and dont like nascar despite half a dozen attempts in the last few years to enjoy it. (I feel like if i tell them to watch formula 1, i owe it to them to try his/her sport too)

My intuition tells me there is a power disparity between mercs and common sense tells me that a works team will hold all the cards in that respect. Why else do you think Renault is making noise about buying torro rosso? (In between noise about quitting)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 17, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Zombywuf posted:

I've just thought of a fun way to allow engine development to even up the field while still pissing off Red Bull. Allow teams to buy engine development tokens, with the money being paid to every team with less points currently in the championship. Say half a mil, per team, per token. All the teams with 0 points get free tokens, maybe could kick in after 4 races or so to let the field spread a bit.

IMO, F1 already has too many dumb contrived rules on money awarded per point.

(As you know teams are paid at the end of the year based on finishing position and points. But the cost of a drivers licence in the sport also goes up with each point scored for the team, and this is usually covered by the team. Meaning each time a team scores a point they are both gaining and spending money simultaneously.)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Have the german GP alternate its slot yearly with the french, spanish or russian GP to give those national sponsors an extra year to come up with the cash to burn.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Nascar should rotate annually between a fan-nominated list of 1979 to 1999 (the years can adjust over time) used cars, with touring car style performance ballast to reduce the differences in condition over time. I want a field of 30 1983 Iron duke camaros battling it out, or 1994 Buick Roadmasters.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Thanks Ants posted:

I for one cannot wait until Canada or Spa is dropped, to be replaced by another Tilkedrome in some middle-eastern country with half full grandstands. Because all that matters is how much someone is going to pay to host a race.

Its ok. Bernie will be dead soon and i'll be probated when bernie finally croaks and everyone else is talking about how he invented grand prix racing and how the sport will never sell its events to a TV audience without him and i'm too busy trying to arrange the inaugural grave pissing goon meet.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 18, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Out of complete curiosity, how many 2014 model formula 1 cars were created in total? Is this information made public?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Please do this for as many drivers as you have the motivation to do. I want to see a "Pastor" and "Nico" :)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Same reason the cars have pointlessly large engine covers behind the roll hoop: Ad space.

A car at the side of the track with a broken suspension isnt getting a millionaires brand on television.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
What are the odds of manor marussia finishing ahead of mclaren honda?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Let's not forget that renault also failed to make a competitive v8 after the v10 engine change and had to whine to the sport to allow them to catch up to mercades, who after a period of failure had kept their head down and gotten it right. They also distanced themselves from the works team who the next year had to undergo a change in management/branding.

This change happened in either 2008 or 2009, and we all know what happened after that.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Nobody not in North or south america ever has a right to complain about the race time IMO)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
On the bright side doesnt this both come at a perfect time, and completely knock the legs out of red bull and renault's dramatic quitting threats?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Well the locally made drink here is "Redline".

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Up until the ending of the article i thought nico and all involved were having a good sense of humor and it was a cool story. I want to believe some goon added the "thats not funny" ending :)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
You know when the suck of a really spec-style series shines through? When a random driver wins every race and nobody cares enough about anybody to craft a dramatic storyline in their imagination (or their RSS feeds)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Hell, even Mark webber could have won the WDC with the 2011 red bull...

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Does it go without saying that he said the same thing at ferrari and renault?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

krushgroove posted:

Going even further outside (or possibly deeper inside, who knows) the boundaries, why have the hostesses and grid girls at all? With female drivers on the horizon it's going to look pretty bad to have totty on the grid - what happens when Susie Wolff finally gets a race drive, will she have a skimpily dressed female or male sign holder?

WEC races don't have grid girls apparently. Lewis can just use his dog(s) to hold his sign. Actually it could become a way for superfans to get on the grid, paying poo poo loads of money to charity auctions to hold a driver's sign.

F1 without girls walking about might as well be WEC or NASCAR as far as i'm concerned. Its one of its good points (I dont watch WEC, and somewhere in my list of reasons is this one as well)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
It doesnt matter. There will still be smoking hot wealthy girls from all around the world going to f1 and i'm sure the camera will spend plenty of time on them. Panic attack averted.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

pik_d posted:

What could possess you to decide that Grosjean is your favorite driver?

My favorite in my first year was piquet jr. (and hamilton)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Jail monisha now!

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Don't feel too bad for james may, that's the kitchen in his central London garage.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I have no problems with a naturally aspirated 1000HP f1 car.

Dont worry, he'll be dead soon.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

gret posted:

I barely have the patience to sit through a 6 hour WEC race so I doubt I'd have the patience to watch that montage.

I cant get through the first third of "Grand Prix" (3 attempts), much less the inferior "Lemans", much less an actual endurance race.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

El Hefe posted:

People are just jealous of Pastor because he's got it all, a dream job travelling all over the world driving F1 cars, a beautiful wife and kid, a house in Monaco, millions of $ in the bank, keep on hating haters while Pastor keeps on living the dream.

You know else who had a comfortable european life with beautiful women and nice houses? Hitler.

Mal-donado (the real way we should be spelling it) is f1's hitler.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Fumble posted:

The Sky team were mocking him for having 80 race starts for only 8 points finishes.

Wow when you put it like that its really embarrassing. His win and podiums only make him look worse with a record like that.

Like somehow hill is MORE pathetic having won a WDC. Someone like brundle or blundell or whatever have a safe obscurity. Some guy who drove an f1 car, maybe for a good team at one point, and you trust them to give journalistic info because of the firsthand history. Who knows how they did, its not important.

Hill/Vettel/Nige/Jaques are clearly in that williams category where whoever happened to be in that car that year was going to win the championship and having done it while having choked it when you actually had to use your talent against others just outlines how much needs to fall into place for you to succeed. If lotus show up to the 1000 horsepower format with a ringer and he walks away with the WDC i'll be crushing disappointed in big john it will just solidify his reputation as the shittiest of the poo poo.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 17, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
You actually cut out the part where i explain. Fox news anchor account spotted.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Der Kyhe posted:

Master Baldonado is the sole reason why carbon fiber-producing companies industries exist so do not speak ill of the sole person keeping the world-wide trade alive.

FTFY

(I unironically heard he has more invested in carbon fiber manufacturing than anyone in f1)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I actually heard (i think) kimi say "it is what it is" last year and died a little inside.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Alain Post posted:

I don't really hate Hamilton but he has by far the worst fans of any driver (on autosport at least) imo which is why I wanted him to lose last year

Thats because he doesnt drive for ferrari yet. Throw him in red and see how quickly your tune changes (Hint: Two practice sessions)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
:catdrugs: MINDGAMES!!!!!! :catdrugs:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

willcrouch posted:

Is no one going to cheer for Sauber?

Nasr has been super fun. gently caress Ferrari, cheer for Ferrari Jr.!

I hope they go under this year. It's a poo poo corpse of a team that was never really good run by a tawny, dishonest criminal who steals money from race car drivers.

Go and take proper ferrari with you, losers.

(Hashtag teamVDG)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
On the subject of certain eras being ugly, 2011-2013 was quite bad. Too many stupid fiddly bits that look useless, tied for ugliest f1 car with the 70s high airbox ones. 2009 was loving sex on wheels despite my initial reservations about the rear wing, especially the brawn, red bull and mclaren. the current cars have found a nice balance between being busy and understated i think.

Front wings have never been sexier than they are now.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
:barf:

I.....WAS.......EATING!!!!!!

Also, old winged f1 cars that arent turbocharged? No thanks. As far as i'm concerned f1 time warped right from 1969 to 1975.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
^^^ This really should be in the OP. Hell, at the top of the OP.

• Locked thread