Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I've decided to do a spec miata in the livery of a failed f1 team. What would be the funniest? And preferably something recognisable to a spectator

Arrows, that livery was boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

darth cookie posted:

If Rosberg can bring it, it could still be alright.

Even last year Rosberg wasn't on Hamilton's level. He wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but without HAM's various shortfalls the battle wouldn't have been nearly as close. IMO the only other driver with Hamilton's skill level is Alonso, with a question mark about Bottas and Aussie Dan, who seem to be reasonably talented but obviously inexperienced. Vettel doesn't seem to have the temper to fight for it in a car that's not dominant, and I'm not seeing anyone else on the list that pops out. Hell, as rookies, I can see Carlos Sainz Jr. and Max Verstappen to do good stuff, but I can't say anything more certain.

Basically:
Top notch: HAM, ALO
Talented, but who knows: BOT, RIC, KVY(?)
Apply yourself: ROS, VET
Old and helpful: BUT, MAS
Maybe soon: All the rookies (Seinz, Verstappen, Nasr)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Lugaloco posted:

When it cut to their garage as Q1 ended it looked like a funeral home.

Something something Alonso

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

WhoNeedsAName posted:

Because he deliberately drove his car into that wall?

Death before dishonour man, that's obvious.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

El Hefe posted:

Phwoar

Pastor Maldonado is literally the fastest driver on the grid

Ferrari like 70kph slower than their closest opponent, good job lads.

gret posted:

Fastest into the wall.

That's Alonso.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

Engines have their own twitters now?

It's the second saddest thing I've seen today.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ukle posted:

by design or just the fact they are crap

But you repeat yourself.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Vettel is actually alive :)

Even worse.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Riso posted:

Look at those whiners about dominance. How about you young grasshoppers look at the old seasons for a change.

In 1988 Mclaren took 15/16 victories for WCC. 1989 was worse they only managed 9/16 victories. 1990 6/16 victories. 1991 8/16.
In 1992 McLaren's dominance was finally broken by Williams 10/16 victories WCC.

And since we're talking about engine dominance, weren't there two seasons where all races were won by DFV-powered cars?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Lewis stabs Webber in the back....

That reads more like a stab at Red Bull rather than Webber. Mercedes have nearly always let Lewis and Nico race fairly, and there haven't been any hints at either of them being the Number Two driver.

Yeah there was that incident with orders to maintain position, but IIRC it would have been the same if the other one was in front, whereas RBR's team orders were always favouring Vettel.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

McLaren Honda will produce the best wheel to wheel racing action this weekend. :colbert:

Intra-team battles are always fun, even when they're two laps back.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Stellar Curiosity posted:

I'm just going to leave this here

Nice try, Nando, but you've fallen a bit short.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Alright, I'm feeling like an idiot about the race. The time right now is 11:05pm, Saturday. Our DST change is between today and tomorrow, we 'lose' one hour. I can't figure out whether the race is at 10 or at 9 local time, and how to set my alarm.

VV: Thank you. I can handle a conversion, but I just didn't feel sure. Really appreciated.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 28, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Link isn't showing for me, can someone explain?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

FAROOQ posted:

:getin: its happening.

Vettel made the soft tyre run 0.1s faater than the medium tyre on the merc. Great driver who is deserving of his ongoing celebration with 11yo party boys.

Max Verstappen is invited to the party?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

AgentJotun posted:

Will either do it in less then 161 races though? Lewis needs to go 7 wins in the next 11 races, Vettel 1 win in the next 20. Both could probably also reach Prost's total, especially Vettel as he could have a good 8 seasons left in him after this one.

Neither of those sound unlikely. He got 11 wins in 19 races last year, so if he gets a good streak rolling I think he can equal it. And Vettel just needs one win in the entire season, that's pretty doable.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Norns posted:

I'd legit be okay with speed pads.

Only for quali tho, the race would need the full assortment of weapons and defensive stuff (shields and quakes and poo poo).

Now just hoping Bernie has a balloon accident.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

George Zimmer posted:

They have a 1 hour reel available like a week after a race. You owe it to yourself to watch Le Mans in real time though.

Speaking of real-time, does the FIA stream WEC on its site or something? No idea how to watch it live.

VV: Neato, thanks a lot. :)

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 10, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kilmers Elbow posted:

I think they drown F1 fans at birth over there.

No, it's just Rosberg fans, not all F1 fans.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

krushgroove posted:

Going even further outside (or possibly deeper inside, who knows) the boundaries, why have the hostesses and grid girls at all? With female drivers on the horizon it's going to look pretty bad to have totty on the grid - what happens when Susie Wolff finally gets a race drive, will she have a skimpily dressed female or male sign holder?

WEC races don't have grid girls apparently. Lewis can just use his dog(s) to hold his sign. Actually it could become a way for superfans to get on the grid, paying poo poo loads of money to charity auctions to hold a driver's sign.

Agreed on the first one. It's really behind the times. Even skimpy dudes would continue a bad habit.

And that's not a bad idea. Get fans to donate to charity auctions, and/or give the spot to people in general (kids, like in football for example), to promote causes and what not

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gmaz posted:

2005 was the season when tyres lasted all race. It was also the season with least overtaking per race in the history of F1 (or at least since the 70's, you can check the data on cliptheapex). Durable tyres = lovely and boring races.

How about tyres that don't last a race, but teams can do whatever they want. Either have two options available, or even the entire lineup, and teams can pick whatever. None of this "but he has to put the other tyres on" poo poo. DRS is nice and good imo, but this feels too artificial.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Then you're probably a racist who hates Germans, too. Most likely Greek or a UKIP voter.

I'm Greek and I hate Sebastian Fraudtel, it checks out.
Big Hammy fan though. Greece is the Stevenage of the EU or something.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

GramCracker posted:

Uhhh, guys.... I bring you the latest post from areLewis' instagram account

:suicide:

Dang he's a fine-looking young man. Not the biggest fan of his haircut, but if he buzzed it near the back a bit, to make it flow a little better with the sides, that'd be pretty spot on I'd think.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

keevo posted:

We really need a collection of terrible F1 driver promo pics for the Wiki.

This is as far from terrible as you can get, but any excuse to post the best picture again:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Alain Post posted:

He's handsome and I want to see the nudes.

:agreed:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Wirth1000 posted:

So Kazuki Nakajima broke a vertabrae during practice in WEC which also rules him out for the 24 hours of Le Mans.

His replacement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bB9VXoSftI

:drat:
Definitely watching Le Mans this year.

be nice wicka posted:

the best part about button's hypothetical WDC son is that his name is guaranteed to be john

Jim or nothing. :colbert:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Xenoid posted:

Ron Dennis is the most :spergin: person in F1

Bet it will be of his Sonic OC "Ron the Denhog".

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

El Hefe posted:

I hope the mods are consistent and ban anyone who refers to Pastor as Crashtor.

Why would they ban people for using official approved motorsports journalism terminology?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I'd be game for goon commentary on current races. Or even record some of my own, this IS the Worst Thread after all.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

That's why they call it a safety car, duh

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

That should be their proper livery

Reminds me of the last few Arrows, and in a good way.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

Why hasn't Alonso killed himself yet?

He tried today, but unfortunately...

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

"Mediocre" isn't a word I'd use to describe 2015's McLaren...

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

harperdc posted:

If the WEC had more highlights on YouTube (officially) it would be Even Better but as it stands, both WEC and Formula E are glimpses into a better-run future.

Is there a stated reason why WEC doesn't upload the races on YouTube after a certain time? Not live, since they can make money from that, but two months down the line, for example? Or does their subscription thing allow people to watch races that have happened, not just live?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Holy poo poo the Mercedes F1 twitter is insufferable.

quote:

A great roar for @LewisHamilton as he begins the interviews after the podium. A moral victory today. #MonacoGP

quote:

Nico has joined a rare club of three time Monaco winners. A flawless drive today. #MonacoGP

Everyone's calling them out.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Farmland Park posted:

I can't judge Hamilton because I would probably have reacted in a same, or worse manner. Good answers though. Oh well, despite being an unironic Hamilton fan, I chose to look at this from a bright side; a more interesting DWC. Also I'm happy for Maldonado continuing his poo poo-streak.

Hell, anyone would have reacted similarly at best. He's one of the best 3-4 drivers on the grid in terms of skill, he led the race, was on the way to win after getting his first pole there, and he got completely hosed over by the team, without rhyme or reason. It wasn't a necessary gamble that failed, it wasn't someone overtaking him or anything, it was a repeat of a mistake they've made before, and totally inexcusable.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

darth cookie posted:

I miss Kamui. :smith:

We all do.
If I wasn't phone posting I'd include the picture of him and Sasha Grey

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

El Hefe posted:

the lovely 3g on my phone still works

How unfortunate. Whom do I need to talk to about that, to see if we can fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Alain Post posted:

Maldonado's record this season does seem to be more related to awful luck than bad driving, too.

• Locked thread