Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Got Coming To America on Blu-Ray tonight and watched the uncensored non-TV edit version for the first time in over a decade. Man, that movie is still a ton of fun almost 30 years after release.

I know a lot of people prefer Trading Places, but I always loved Coming To America much more. Arsenio does a lot to liven the whole thing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

TrixRabbi posted:

My girlfriend hasn't seen a lot of movies so I've slowly been showing her the classics here and there. Werner Herzog happened to come up in conversation today and she was interested because I was talking about how he's all about exploration and deplores tourists, and now she wants to watch some of his stuff.

What's a good first Herzog for somebody who's not big into film? I'm not sure if Aguirre is too out there or not.

Get her into the "idea" of Herzog as a person or as a character first, I think it helps... ground? some of his movies.

His documentaries, Incident At Loch Ness, Jack Reacher, My Best Fiend.

edit: then make her watch that behind the scenes bit with him talking about how the jungle is obscene.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My favorite thing about Drive Angry is that the hot, young female lead is in no way a romantic interest for Nic Cage. She's a partner in crime and justice and maybe a stand-in for his daughter. It plays basically like Amber Heard and Nic are bros out to kill a cult leader and evade the loving devil.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Skywalker OG posted:

A word, much less one that isn't a noun but one that attempts to describe a mental state, cannot physically suck your dick.

The word 'anxiety' is very much a noun. I mean it doesn't describe a physical object but it's still a thing. It's not like it's a verb or an adjective or an adverb or anything.

Literally The Worst posted:

I don't like you anywhere.

Seriously just gently caress already.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yo, Dickeye, I've worked customer service for the last 12 years. It sucks. My particular store has a reputation nationally for having some of the most difficult customers. I've always found it helps to remember that they're not really mad at you, you're just the thing that's in front of them when they're mad. Just put up a wall between you and them and don't let any of it actually affect you. It's really easy to become a vector for stress and it always, always, makes the situation worse.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Commit a felony above your old company's bathroom.

edit: like in the tiles of the drop-ceiling.

edit2: not a loving camera, just take a dump up there

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Game of Thrones more like Game of Tits and Blood

Yes, and sexposition.

Yo, you should keep the stream going until I get home at like 10:30 tonight. I gotta go to my stupid service job and I want to unwind with some weird poo poo.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Yeah I'm gonna do this for a while, and probably more often. Not like I have anywhere to go now :smithicide:

Awwwwwwww don't give up Dickeye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LMB6K4rTGU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
How's Craig T Nelson doing then? And is the nuts-wanter Dauber?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CPL593H posted:

I want to remind everyone that this is not the first, but second time Tommy Wiseau made a pilot for the Neighbors. His original attempt at this was probably 2008/9ish. This isn't him trying to cash in on the Room. This is his earnest attempt at making a television show.

Also I'm not sure Tommy Wiseau is cashing in on anything; apparently the one thing he is really good at is making sick money. He doesn't make bad movies and TV shows because he thinks they will be profitable, he does it because he thinks it will make him a star and will make people respect him as a serious artist. Wiseau had never made a movie before, but figured he should just buy all of the equipment he'd need because he felt like it and because it would make the rental company take him seriously (they just took him for a mark). He paid people a lot of money to build an elaborate rooftop set despite literally owning an impressive rooftop in SF because he thought that was how movies are made and that would bring him respect.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No see in the Futurama joke Pacman was a general and a goodguy, in this one it's just Pacman, and he's going to eat us all.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Sweet, Netflix is getting The Babadook in April.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Guys lets talk about television shows. Let's imagine I did a hypothetical bizarro television day on Dickstream. What kind of poo poo would you people want to see

Both versions of Wiseau's Neighbors.

edit: at the same time, with one playing backwards overlaid with the other a la Room 237

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mall security, the last refuge of those who....something. It's mall security at the rich people mall.

Plenty of exercise! Plus it's always climate controlled and there's pleasant muzak playing all the time.

"I need to let you know before we get started, my hands are in fact registered as deadly weapons. I've killed a man."

"What kind of defense do I have against knife attack? I'm very concerned about blades and knife culture in general."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Dickeye, what app do you use for reading comics? How much does that poo poo end up being? I want to read a ton of Judge Dredd but I don't want to spend $350-$450 on 23 volumes of TPBs.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I cannot answer that question on the grounds that it might incriminate myself.

Best way to read Dredd/2kAD is to get ComicZeal for three bucks and then buy the trades off 2kAD's digital store for fifteen a pop. If you want to read old issues of 2kAD, like 1970s old, that's an entirely different question.

Ah, I was hoping there was a subscription service or some poo poo. Kindle editions are like $10.50 for the trades.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

ya. i thought it was like You're Next, but good.

See, that's weird because You're Next was the loving poo poo.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Peccadillo posted:

I just found out a couple dudes I know from high school are extremely famous and have a double platinum album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnZpgKgWwLo

It's a weird discovery, I should keep in better touch with people

That's cool and all, but it's worth noting that by a "double platinum album" you mean double platinum in Australia, and ARIA Platinum is only like 70k copies.

Still better than anything I'll ever put out though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Peccadillo posted:

No. A "platinum" album means either a million sales of a song/album or a certain million amount of views on Vevo. "Platinum" is not anything but a sales term, but it's one which's wicked important to the global pop-music market.

That's RIAA Platinum. Peking Duk has a single that went ARIA double platinum and another that went ARIA triple platinum. ARIA is the Australian verison of the RIAA and measures sales of records in Australia. ARIA gives platinum cert at 70k copies.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 20, 2015

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Didn't Jenny Angel just post something in another thread about being Slavic? Do you hold a grudge? T/F?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I thought it was aight. For some reason it was playing in 4:3 on Netflix for me, though.

edit: Reminds me of an earlier-age Super 8.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Chappie is so loving good. Even on a second viewing it's strong as hell.

I liked it enough, but what really surprised me was that I thought Sharlto Copley was easily the strongest thing about it. Really didn't expect him to give the movie as much oomph as he did.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Hahaha that's incredible.

Slice of movie: In a little over 12 hours I'll be watching Vertigo on the big screen, and I'm so loving pumped. I've seen at least part of it, but don't remember anything about it or any plot details, so I'm pretty much going in blind. It's going to be good.

Sweeeeeeeeeet. I think I'm in the minority here, but Vertigo might be my favorite Hitchcock.

Fat Lou posted:

For some reason when I read Vertigo my mind went to Vertical Limit and I was very confused by your excitement.

Ha, my friend's dad did some script work on that lovely movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I thought for some reason a lot of people hated Vertigo, especially for the turn it takes in the third act. I seemed to remember hearing that it was initially panned, but critical consensus turned around a little bit on in in the 80s or 90s. Iunno.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like watching lesser Hitchcock movies like The Paradine Case and watching him really elevate it from time to time. The reaction shot on the wife when they come in and accuse her of the murder is so good. Also nobody mentions it because it's his only comedy but The Trouble With Harry is amazing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've had a really long and lovely couple of days, which I'll elaborate on a little bit in an hour or two, but right now I'm drinking a very large beer and watching Aguirre: Wrath of God and everything's pretty ok for right now.
Also welcome back Dickeye, I'm sure you've learned absolutely nothing from your probation but I'm glad poo poo's working out for you again.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Seriously though guys Aguirre is so loving good. The new Lightning Bolt is also so loving good.

I mean I know what got me probated and I knew it was a 50/50 shot when I did it

Yah bro it's all good keep it weird. I know people give you poo poo but keep on keepin on. I figure if you didn't post weird angry poo poo all the time you wouldn't be Dickeye.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So my wife's grandmother passed on Monday night. She spent the last week not really conscious, so we knew it was coming but it was still pretty upsetting. People came in from out of town and the retirement community she lives in let us set up camp in an empty room in the hospital section a few doors down from her so we had a little base camp. My mother-in-law slept in that room for a couple days and we needed a spot to go and decompress while we waited for it to happen. I don't know. I knew her longer and was probably closer to her than all my actual grandparents combined.

Gommie was an incredible badass and the sweetest woman I've ever met. She was a warrior for peace and equality; a member of the NAACP for nearly 50 years as well as several community action groups. She was arrested dozens of times (well into her 80s!) for protesting against war on Hiroshima Day and whenever at Lockheed Martin. She was an outspoken progressive and was unafraid of making enemies out of bigots at her retirement home. She was an incredible person who touched hundreds of lives in her 95 years and she will be missed. Her passing has left a deep hole in our family. Goodbye, Ann.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

DetoxP posted:

Goddamn she sounds like she was cool as all hell and she also got to live to be 95. I wish I had met her. I'm sorry for your loss.

She was cool as hell. My wife's cousin was explaining to her teenage daughter how badass she was yesterday. Girl didn't know her great-grandmother had ever been arrested so she was kinda put off by finding a record of one arrest in a photo album in her appartment, along with a photo of her getting cuffed. My wife's cousin estimated she had been arrested about 70 times in the name of peace.

edit: seriously, Gommie didn't give a gently caress for Johnny Law.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I would cut off s limb to see Miami Connection

Good news!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FishBulb posted:

I wouldn't even say 4 out of all animes are good

Let's see...
1) Ninja Scroll
2)...

poo poo.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ninja Scroll isn't that hugely well known, beloved or accessible :confused:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it is, however, that dope

Wanna wear this shirt:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Freshman year of college my roommate was the VP of the campus GSA. The president was a hetero lady. I felt like that was cheating, and then she hosed up some form and they lost their office/safe space. Now my alma mater's GSA doesn't have any office still so way to go straight-os.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Oh hey I remember when this guy was a goon and put one of his albums up for free.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Anonymous Robot posted:

First time actually sitting down and watching a Wrestlemania. Impressions: I think I'd rather these dudes just competed by putting on interpretive dances at one another rather than actually wrestling. The showmanship and pageantry of the entrances is the best part. Right now some kind of southern gothic monster hunter is rallying an army of living scarecrows against The Undertaker.

Triple H arose from a Terminator battlefield wearing a T-800 skull mask and crown and hoisting a handful of Terminator spines.

Some Red Scare dude rode into the ring flanked by Red Army soldiers and riding a T-96 tank.

Is that poo poo still PPV? I thought the live PPV model would have collapsed by now.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CPL593H posted:

VOD is pretty much the same thing as pay-per-view except now you don't have to call that stupid 800 number.

I mean yeah that's why I thought it was done.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So I tried watching VHS: VIRAL last night knowing how terrible it is because whatever. During the first wrap around segment I'm thinking "wow, this isn't good but having the audio all be so wildly out of synch but having all the tone matching kind of works and I respect how weird and daring that is." Then, during the first segment I'm like "okay, they're still doing the audio thing, what the gently caress? This would have worked well handled by someone competent." It was at the 18 minute mark that I realized the audio on Netflix was actually just running 30-45 seconds in front of the video and no amount of restarting would fix it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You'd think a multinational, billion-dollar company wouldn't just pirate Windows, but here we are.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hoooooooooly poo poo just watched Trancers and I think the wife and I have a new Christmas tradition.

• Locked thread