Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Nam Taf posted:

Rio supremacy. Still works.

32MB of storage as standard for those wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

88h88 posted:

32MB of storage as standard for those wasn't it?

Yeh though latter models came with 64MB. You could also put in a CF card - I had a 32MB card in it. It basically made both storage spaces into a single playlist but you couldn't split a song across the two locations, so it was 2x32MB still.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
My 120GB Zune I've had for a decade is on it's way out I think, looking up "Zune Read Error" doesn't instill any hope. Sucks stand alone players are a rarity now because I don't need what is basically another phone just to play my music.

That FiiO thing looks alright and you can put FLAC on it so that's cool.

e: Crisis averted for now.

KingShiro fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 20, 2015

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I have a portable disc man that can play Mp3 files burned to a CD. I can fit almost 300 128kb songs on a CD. Pretty sweet.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

b0nes posted:

I have an original iPod mini somewhere in my garage, the battery is dead. They might offer me a new iPod Touch if I bring it to Apple thats what happened to my brother. He had an iPod classic 80GB and they let him upgrade to a 160GB for $100.
You can also pay less than $20 to just swap in a new battery. I'm still using a 30GB 5th gen in the gym because I can't be bothered to find an armband for a Nokia 920.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there anything similar to the clip? Mine is slowly dying. Might just get another one.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Clips are great.

I replaced my Clip with a Cowon M3. The Cowon has amazing battery life and gorgeous sound, but it doesn't play m4a files and the touch screen is poorly designed.

Still, I like the Cowon a lot.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I ended up just buying another clip zip. Hopefully it's good for another 3 years.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I ended up getting a fiio X1 in an attempt to replace a stolen iPod classic. It's got a terrible Chinese electronics interface but functionally is pretty drat solid if that's what you're into. Personally, I wish I had gone with a flash modded used iPod again, but if you're not an apple fan or you demand audiophile quality line-out or lossless support or something its not a bad piece of kit.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

After reading this thread I picked up a Cowon M2 as I'm in Japan. The sound quality, Jet Effect customization and battery life are stellar. The touchscreen UI is the worst thing I have ever seen. Seriously I can't fathom who designed that, tested it and thought that's what customers would enjoy using. It loving sucks.

Still happy with the purchase!

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Are there any substantive differences between the Clip+ and Clip Zip? I like the + UI more but :shrug:

I miss my 80GB Classic, though. I hate listening to music on my phone.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I've been wondering about portable music devices lately. My phone is the Note 4, which has the worst sound I have ever heard out of a device like this. Giving up the convenience of Google Music will suck rear end, though! Even if I got an iPod touch, the iOS google music app bypasses the iOS EQ, and has none of its own, which sucks.

If I'm going to go in, maybe I should go all in and get something that does 24-bit audio, but I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms. Does anyone have experience with sony's cheaper "high resolution" units, like the NWZ-A15?

I should probably just get an iPod nano. I'd be giving up Google music, but at least my mp3s won't sound like garbage anymore.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I didn't get a smartphone until late 2011 so I was on the MP3 player train for a long time. My first was a 1GB Creative Zen Nano Plus, but I also went through a first-gen Zune, Zune HD, Sansa Clip+, and second- and third-gen iPod touches before finally joining the future and getting a phone that could play music. I don't have an MP3 collection anymore thanks to the ease of streaming, but sometimes I miss having a lovingly curated, obsessively tagged library.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I've been wondering about portable music devices lately. My phone is the Note 4, which has the worst sound I have ever heard out of a device like this. Giving up the convenience of Google Music will suck rear end, though! Even if I got an iPod touch, the iOS google music app bypasses the iOS EQ, and has none of its own, which sucks.

If I'm going to go in, maybe I should go all in and get something that does 24-bit audio, but I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms. Does anyone have experience with sony's cheaper "high resolution" units, like the NWZ-A15?

I should probably just get an iPod nano. I'd be giving up Google music, but at least my mp3s won't sound like garbage anymore.

Have you tried using a custom rom for your phone? CyanogenMod comes with an equalizer and could clear that up a bit. Though if the phone is poo poo you're generally hosed. What does it sound like using other means? Does Bluetooth sound like rear end as well?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Those are good thoughts, but I think this particular version of the phone just has a terrible DAC. No amount of EQ seems to help, because it's just missing the upper and lower frequencies altogether, like there's a band pass filter over the whole thing. It does sound better to me over Bluetooth.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If you want to root, Viper4android is the serious poo poo. It made my Note 2 sound amazing. I would try that first, and try a custom profile from XDA before plunging into the MP3 player world.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Alan_Shore posted:

After reading this thread I picked up a Cowon M2 as I'm in Japan. The sound quality, Jet Effect customization and battery life are stellar. The touchscreen UI is the worst thing I have ever seen. Seriously I can't fathom who designed that, tested it and thought that's what customers would enjoy using. It loving sucks.

Still happy with the purchase!

I bought one and had to send it back after a day or so

It sounded lovely but that screen was just poo poo. So awful to use, why on earth they used a capacitative screen in 2015 I have no idea. And the UI was nonsense

I replaced it with a Sony NWZ-A15, absolutely love it, wonderful device

The high resolution stuff is just a straight up con to make you buy your stuff in a more expensive format, but don't be put off by that, FLAC is just perfect on it

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 23, 2015

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
So my Clip+'s buttons are starting to go out. I'd get a new one, but apparently since they're discontinued, Amazon and Ebay prices are starting to climb. Last year I got one for $35 - now they're anywhere from $65 to $100.

Are there any other cheap (but still good) standalone mp3 players that also have expandable memory?

Chelb fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 15, 2015

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are there any decent plain mp3 players with Bluetooth support? I got some Chinese thing on Amazon but it turned out to be a piece of poo poo. Those players linked on the last page seem nice, but they lack Bluetooth.

I'm not interested in a smartphone since they never work right. I just want something with good Bluetooth support for my car stereo and wireless headphones and hopefully a micro SD slot. Apple's iPod nano is close, but I'd rather use a standard mass storage interface instead of iTunes to manage it.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I got a Kubik Evo, I don't particularly like it.

The files on the sd card are separate from the main memory. Files on the sd card do not get added to the sections like artist, song, genre, etc. Just a generic Directory. Not completely terrible since my music is fairly well organized.

No playlist support. It does have a add to favorite function which emulates it, but this does not work with the sd card, only onboard memory.

Buttons are multifunction, but only one function is printed on the button. Also the big middle button is just one button, it's big enough to work like a hat switch, but doesn't. This would have resolved a lot of issues with the multiple functions. It's annoying to try and figure out what button does what if I haven't used it in a few days.

Scrolling can be slow, but sometimes when scrolling down a list it will start refreshing the entire screen after moving down one song, which slows it down quite a bit.

Good enough for now for jogging/gym, but I won't get another when it breaks.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I had a cowon D2 that bricked because Cowon can't do software. Like, at all. I'm replacing it and I use Shure 425SEs I'm no audiophile but listening to music on my phone on 200$ headphones is dumb. I don't want to deal with Cowon's bullshit again so I'm looking at Fiio. I don't suppose any of y'all have experience with both the x1 and x3? I assume with iems there's not going to be a major perceptible difference?

I loved my D2 warts and all until it gave up the ghost.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Rollofthedice posted:

So my Clip+'s buttons are starting to go out. I'd get a new one, but apparently since they're discontinued, Amazon and Ebay prices are starting to climb. Last year I got one for $35 - now they're anywhere from $65 to $100.

Are there any other cheap (but still good) standalone mp3 players that also have expandable memory?

Nope. All the new cheap san disk's have massive limitations somehow that their old ones didn't.

The new Fiio M3 has a 4000ish file limit, even though it says it supports a 64 gig microsd card.

I've been kind of eyeing this guy

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/seiun-players-hi-res-audio-meets-4k-video#/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I had a cowon D2 that bricked because Cowon can't do software. Like, at all. I'm replacing it and I use Shure 425SEs I'm no audiophile but listening to music on my phone on 200$ headphones is dumb. I don't want to deal with Cowon's bullshit again so I'm looking at Fiio. I don't suppose any of y'all have experience with both the x1 and x3? I assume with iems there's not going to be a major perceptible difference?

I loved my D2 warts and all until it gave up the ghost.

Modern phones have very good audio output circuitry. You won't notice a difference.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Amazon currently has their low-end Fire tablet on sale for $50. It includes a micro SD slot and Bluetooth, which qualifies it as the cheapest Bluetooth MP3 player available. Exactly what I've been looking for.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I currently have a second gen ipod touch that I use for music at my office since 2007.

I'm a little worried that it's just going to give up the ghost one day. Are there any good MP3 players without cameras out there?

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
FiiO X1

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

rt4 posted:

Amazon currently has their low-end Fire tablet on sale for $50. It includes a micro SD slot and Bluetooth, which qualifies it as the cheapest Bluetooth MP3 player available. Exactly what I've been looking for.

For an MP3 player a prepaid Android phone is probably a better (and likely cheaper) choice since it's portable. Verizon Moto E's sold for $9.99 on Black Friday and there are a ton of them on eBay/Amazon for $30 or so. Much more portable.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I'm actually going to take an old iPod fifth gen and mod it. For about $100 bucks I can get it to work with a 256SD card. That seems pretty sweet to me.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Modern phones have very good audio output circuitry. You won't notice a difference.

You say that...

I ended up getting a cowon m2. Let's hope it lasts longer than my last one of their MP3 players.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

You say that...

I ended up getting a cowon m2. Let's hope it lasts longer than my last one of their MP3 players.

I say that, but what? It's true.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've been using a Rockbox'ed Clip Zip with a 32GB SD card for almost 4 years now, and it just keeps on trucking. It's tiny, still has acceptable battery life, the clip is ingenious, it plays everything, and it can drive my headphones to decent levels and my IEMs to absolutely deafening levels if I feel like it. It has stood up to years of being left in my car in both hot and freezing weather and been left completely discharged for weeks, apparently to no ill effect.

Not bad for ~$65.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My clip+ is similarly soldiering on after years, the first one suffered the right channel dropping out and was replaced, this one is pretty solid it seems. Considering the cost of it it's been utterly superb and I'm not sure why some people would need more than it does.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Man this sucks. I just started looking for a cheap Mp3 player because I want to listen to some class recordings in the car. From the look of things there's nothing cheap that doesn't have huge interface/organizational issues, which would make it hard to organize class files. I would almost take a chance on something really cheap on Amazon, but all of the random no name players have 4 star + reviews by people who got a free player "in exchange for an honest review." Yeah right.

Any suggestions that don't involve a phone or Apple?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Man this sucks. I just started looking for a cheap Mp3 player because I want to listen to some class recordings in the car. From the look of things there's nothing cheap that doesn't have huge interface/organizational issues, which would make it hard to organize class files. I would almost take a chance on something really cheap on Amazon, but all of the random no name players have 4 star + reviews by people who got a free player "in exchange for an honest review." Yeah right.

What's wrong with Apple? Just buy an used shuffle or nano on Craigslist; you won't find anything better for something approaching the price.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Why not a phone? Verizon prepaid Moto E's go for $30 on Amazon (because a bunch of people bought them for $9.99 on black friday and are reselling for a profit) and will do what you want much, much better than anything you could find for a similar price. Not to mention an audio book player will probably work better for listening to classes than a straight MP3 player since it will allow you to listen at different speeds, save your place, etc.

mediaphage posted:

What's wrong with Apple? Just buy an used shuffle or nano on Craigslist; you won't find anything better for something approaching the price.

Shuffle is a bad choice for someone who wants to listen to long lectures, presumably in a specific order.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Why not a phone? Verizon prepaid Moto E's go for $30 on Amazon (because a bunch of people bought them for $9.99 on black friday and are reselling for a profit) and will do what you want much, much better than anything you could find for a similar price. Not to mention an audio book player will probably work better for listening to classes than a straight MP3 player since it will allow you to listen at different speeds, save your place, etc.

Shuffle is a bad choice for someone who wants to listen to long lectures, presumably in a specific order.

The phone idea sounds interesting. You would not activate it but just connect to Wifi, yes? So in effect it is a small cheap tablet?

No Apple because my wife has a Nano and I spend way too much time trying to figure out how each new Itunes release messes her stuff up. I'm really just looking for something I can drag files onto.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

The phone idea sounds interesting. You would not activate it but just connect to Wifi, yes? So in effect it is a small cheap tablet?

No Apple because my wife has a Nano and I spend way too much time trying to figure out how each new Itunes release messes her stuff up. I'm really just looking for something I can drag files onto.

Yep. You basically throw it into airplane mode, turn Wi-Fi back on, and you have the equivalent of an iPod touch or small tablet.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
My iPod Nano doesn't let out sound anymore. This is already my third Nano's and they all had had problems, so I'm thinking of just buying an MP3 player.

All I listened to on my Nano are podcasts and iTunes helpfully arrange them by Podcast titles instead of filenames like my phone did. I'm looking for a similar function, to be able to sort episodes of the same podcast into their own 'folder' or 'playlist'. So I can move from Folder Podcast A to Folder Podcast C and listen to episode 5 of Podcast C without actually having to sort through File A-1 to File C-5. The JB Hi-Fi guy I asked said this might be able to do that , but another guy from a Sony store said it definitely couldn't. Back in Indonesia the local electronics shop guy I asked said almost all MP3 players can do that and led me to this.

So my question is, which is it? Can most mp3 players do what I wanted, arranging podcast files into folders and moving through folders instead through individual files?

Thank you.

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
The FiiO X1 will let you browse by folder structure. I'm sure most would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
drat I was just thinking about this because I want to buy a PMP for an upcoming trip. Everyone seems to use their phones or whatever but I need my phone and its battery life for other things on the trip and I'd like to have a separate device.

Im not an audiophile though, I just want a device that will play good quality music and has poo poo like... playlists...

I've narrowed it down to I guess one of the Fiio players.

Fiio X1

Fiio M3

Fiio X3-II

Anyone got any opinions on these guys?