Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I like mine so far. Still got all my tunes backed up on my hard drive just in case.

There are a couple of annoying things about it, like at the moment it lists things by their file name rather than their metadata title, and it took me a bit of time and some Googling to realise that when it seems like it's frozen near the end of its manual library update, it's actually just taking ages because it's finalising a whole bunch of songs, but overall I'm really pleased with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

How's the UI? I've heard people doing a little bit of complaining about how it doesn't look stellar.

I was also looking at some cheaper ones with a smaller formfactor, but a common thread among all of these MP3 players nowadays (at least, below the couple-hundred-dollar price point) is that the UI is utter trash or looks like an old Nokia screen from the late 90s.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Worth noting that the 'coming soon' version of the X5 (3rd Gen) looks set to have an updated UI, that gives an option between the normal UI and a full Android UI, so that might be worth a look.

UI on mine is fairly simple, scroll wheel thing like an iPod navigates the main menu which has the options 'Now Playing', 'Play by Category', 'Browse Files', 'Play Settings' and 'System Settings'. Then the middle button is select, one of the other buttons is back, it's a bit like an iPod in that regard. Some of the options in Play Settings and System Settings are pretty confusing, but I think some of that is a function of the device having capabilities that I'm not used to and don't know what to do with. For example, what the hell is SPDIF out, and what's the difference between D2P and DoP? I have no idea, and I don't care enough to find out.

Scroll wheel doesn't seem to accelerate in the same way that the iPod one does, which can make navigating heaps of songs or artists annoying. Also sometimes the scroll wheel doesn't seem to have as much friction as I'd like. That might be because of the cool covers that come with the thing that I put on (Basically just stickers for pretty much every surface - There was a US flag one which no thanks wrong country, some black one which looked OK I guess, and a faux wood one which I thought was cool) so maybe I should try getting rid of the one I put on the wheel.

FAKEEDIT: I did it I removed the sticker on the scroll wheel it seems better now, should've done this a while ago.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is there any MP3 player which has a good battery life, a AA main battery, and a SDHC (or larger) capacity expandable slot?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

^^ AA Batteries in consumer electronics are dead, man. Just get a powerbank/usb battery

I'm looking for something that can do 24-40 hrs playback time between charges and live on a boat near saltwater basically it's whole life. Going offshore periodically for 8-16 hours at a time, and want a separate device with a display so guests can pick and choose their own songs/playlist. I use my phone for tidal info, nav charts etc etc and don't need it getting dropped by guests down below

Top three options I've seen so far:

1. San Disk "clip" or clip variant
2. iPod Nano 7th gen
3. Use a random android device

All good options, San Disk and Kindle Fire tablet are both about $40 these days. iPod has the best waterproofing probably, as well as 30 hour battery life.

Big downside for iPod Nano is that you're sort of stuck using iTunes (ugh) or some $$$ goofy rear end workaround app. Not worth it. Especially for $150.

I already have a Kindle Fire tablet from some black friday sale. It has a micro SD card. With a big fat tablet battery I'm guessing it will exceed 20 hours playback time. Also has bluetooth audio capability. You also get drag and drop MP3 filesystem.

Is there a best MP3 player out there for android? Looking for ease of use to search for songs, build short (10-15 songs?) playlists on the go, low battery consumption.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I just got a Sansa Clip+ today and it's adorable, like if a Tamagotchi was an iPod. I don't like listening to music on my phone for a couple reasons, #1 being that my pockets aren't made to fit smartphones so I have to fish it out of my bag whenever I need to fiddle with it or I have to hold it in my hand constantly like a dweeb. I like that this is small enough to fit into any of my pockets and the clip seems extremely practical for running etc.

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!
i bought a lovely mp3 player off amazon and it died in 2 weeks. so now i need an mp3 player for my car. i miss the stereo on my old car where i could hit a button and get the next album, the lovely piece of poo poo couldn't do anything like that. will installing rockbox let me do something like that?

i guess i could bring a cheap tablet with me but it seems like that would get stolen or something. plus the battery life sucks.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Philip Rivers posted:

I just got a Sansa Clip+ today and it's adorable, like if a Tamagotchi was an iPod. I don't like listening to music on my phone for a couple reasons, #1 being that my pockets aren't made to fit smartphones so I have to fish it out of my bag whenever I need to fiddle with it or I have to hold it in my hand constantly like a dweeb. I like that this is small enough to fit into any of my pockets and the clip seems extremely practical for running etc.

Did you find one cheap somewhere? They're pretty sought-after now after years of being kind of a sleeper at less than $30 or so.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
I'm looking for a player that offers bluetooth, from a brand other than Apple; Looking for something that I can play in my car, without the requirement for constant cabling.

While I suppose the Ipod Touch models might offer this, they're also more expensive than many models. (past or present) Criticism of their audio quality has also persisted as well.

I'm guessing that any of the Clip models don't offer this, even though it mentions bluetooth headphone functionality on their website.

The Flio would likely be at the head of the pack in this regard, correct?

What else would work?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The Sandisk Clip Sport Plus has Bluetooth. You're only going to get 6-8 hours of battery life using BT though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Audio quality will be determined by Bluetooth, not by the player's output hardware. Plus I thought apple used decent DACs overall.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Killer_B posted:

The Flio would likely be at the head of the pack in this regard, correct?

What else would work?

I can't specifically speak for the Fiio X5 3rd gen, which is the one you'd probably be looking at for Bluetooth connectivity, but I'm really liking my 2nd gen, with the aforementioned caveats that there's a lot of confusing stuff I had to Google. Oh also if it gets too hot it just stops, but it's probably easy enough stopping it from getting to those kind of temperatures.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Just want to add I took an dead iPod classic this weekend threw in a 64gig flash card, and put it back together and it works great. Total cost with the card reader was $40? Might be worth it to people with an hour of free time. Ifixit has a guide, and there's plenty of YouTube videos too walking you through the steps.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

qirex posted:

Audio quality will be determined by Bluetooth, not by the player's output hardware. Plus I thought apple used decent DACs overall.

They might not support aptx? Too :effort: to check.

dpush
Nov 10, 2009
Back in 2006 or so I got a creative zen with 32 gigs of storage with up to 64 gig SD card expansion, a 30 hour battery, fully customizable menus, a programmable button that I could set to shuffle all, and it was tiny and sounded amazing. After the battery life wore down to 4 hours per charge from being used mostly in a -20 environment for years, I broke down and got a Phillips GoGear Ariaz. It was a downgrade at 16 gigs with a 20 hour battery, a bloated ui, and would need to be hard reset often enough to be annoying. The power button shorted out years ago and screen has finally given out, I'm back in the market and everything is worse than the go gear. The FiiO stuff looks nice but costs to much for something that would get left in a hot car. I'd kill for a Zen X-fi. Unfortunately nobody accepts murder and wants like 400 to 700 bucks for a used one that has a decade old battery in it.

I went ahead and got this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGV94KX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems to have most of the features that were standard a decade ago at the same price point.

dpush fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 2, 2017

jim close
Feb 25, 2007
Can anyone suggest a nice cheap Android phone with a SD slot that I can use as my second means of podcasts/music? My Galaxy S4 that fit the bill since I upgraded is starting to die. The sound cuts out with or without headphones but still plays the file. I have a iPod classic 160gb, but with two jobs it gets hard to find the time to update it. And I can get on my works wifi and download various podcasts that make work easier.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Moto E4. Pretty easy to remove the ads from the "with special offers" one from Amazon.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
E4 seems kind of overkill for the purpose.

I guess it depends on whether jim means “both nice and cheap” or “nicely cheap”.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

dpush posted:

Back in 2006 or so I got a creative zen with 32 gigs of storage with up to 64 gig SD card expansion, a 30 hour battery, fully customizable menus, a programmable button that I could set to shuffle all, and it was tiny and sounded amazing. After the battery life wore down to 4 hours per charge from being used mostly in a -20 environment for years, I broke down and got a Phillips GoGear Ariaz. It was a downgrade at 16 gigs with a 20 hour battery, a bloated ui, and would need to be hard reset often enough to be annoying. The power button shorted out years ago and screen has finally given out, I'm back in the market and everything is worse than the go gear. The FiiO stuff looks nice but costs to much for something that would get left in a hot car. I'd kill for a Zen X-fi. Unfortunately nobody accepts murder and wants like 400 to 700 bucks for a used one that has a decade old battery in it.

I went ahead and got this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGV94KX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems to have most of the features that were standard a decade ago at the same price point.

This is me but with my iRiver H320. I bought it because it could record and play OGG, eventually installed Rockbox, then gradually got sucked into replacing the battery, then the HDD, then replaced the HDD again with a CompactFlash adapter. My unit finally got past the point where the screws were willing to grip anymore and I bought a Zen Vision M instead... but a year ago I found a good deal on a H320 on eBay and replaced it. I have a mSATA adapter which should hopefully work.

My phone is a pale imitation of the capabilities my MP3 player had in loving 2005. And I really wish I would have gotten one of those iRiver iFP series that runs for 25+ hours on a single AA :smith:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Hadlock posted:

I'm looking for something that can do 24-40 hrs playback time between charges and live on a boat near saltwater basically it's whole life. Going offshore periodically for 8-16 hours at a time, and want a separate device with a display so guests can pick and choose their own songs/playlist. I use my phone for tidal info, nav charts etc etc and don't need it getting dropped by guests down below

Why don't you build a full-passive mITX PC or NUC with IPwhatever weather-sealing to drive the speakers, and then have an iPad connect over wifi/bluetooth to allow selecting the tunes?

Sub Rosa posted:

Moto E4. Pretty easy to remove the ads from the "with special offers" one from Amazon.

I saw that just today and I was wondering if the bootloader was unlocked.

Chairchucker posted:

I can't specifically speak for the Fiio X5 3rd gen, which is the one you'd probably be looking at for Bluetooth connectivity, but I'm really liking my 2nd gen, with the aforementioned caveats that there's a lot of confusing stuff I had to Google. Oh also if it gets too hot it just stops, but it's probably easy enough stopping it from getting to those kind of temperatures.

I have both an X5ii and a refurb X5 (which I picked up when they were on clearance from Adorama for like $150). They have good DACs and really solid headphone amps as these things go, but the UI is terrible and you will hate yourself for any use-case more complex than "play this album that is in its own unique folder". There's probably a way to do it but I'm too lazy to google it down. Rockbox was more intuitive even 10 years ago. The ipod-style jogwheel is great though and I would love to see it with native Rockbox support. Also, the potential capacity is absurd, you can just throw a pair of 128GB microSD cards in no problem, so it's actually a pretty good value overall.

And yes they definitely get hot. And the screen on the first-gen X5 is not flush with the rest of the unit, and it scratches more easily than the later units. Fiio is very clearly still figuring out their poo poo, but it's a solid effort for a basic audiophile MP3 player.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 4, 2017

jim close
Feb 25, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I guess it depends on whether jim means “both nice and cheap” or “nicely cheap”.

Eh, either or honestly, with black Friday coming up I'm sure Walmart will have some phones cheap, I doubt the e4 will make that list but I can wait. Probably going to get Amazon cards for Christmas so that's a back-up. I loved my S4, but now it's become a bitch to charge and the sound cutting out kills any use I had for it currently. I also have a LG g4 that is stuck in a boot loop that I need to call and hopefully send in to get replaced, it was my sister-in-laws phone but we bought he the e4 (I think) last year so maybe I could trade it. Thanks for your swift response though, I figured it would take a while.

Also has anyone had experience replacing the hard drive in an iPod classic? I thought I read someone did it earlier in the thread but it's been a while. I've been debating on this for a while and I figured when I open it up to change the battery that I would either go with a mSata or with the SD adapter. I've watched videos of tear downs, just not the best with taking apart electronics.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

jim close posted:

Also has anyone had experience replacing the hard drive in an iPod classic? I thought I read someone did it earlier in the thread but it's been a while. I've been debating on this for a while and I figured when I open it up to change the battery that I would either go with a mSata or with the SD adapter. I've watched videos of tear downs, just not the best with taking apart electronics.

I've done it on my iRiver and it's supposed to be pretty similar overall. What's your question here, hardware selection or replacement process or what?

I would definitely go with the mSATA since it's guaranteed to speak an IDE-like protocol. I think that or UDMA is the distinction between why some CF cards worked and some did not - which I personally experienced. My high-end camera CF card (Sandisk Extreme IV 4 GB) worked and my low-end Transcend CF card (32 GB?) did not. This was with Rockbox, and ymmv if the iPod Classic does something weird. There might be a Rockbox build for iPods of most generations if you want to try it. The build for the iRiver H320 was pretty good even years ago but ymmv. I haven't kept pace with it for the last few years.

I had persistent problems with the adapter/card working lose with movement. iRiver had a grippy trivet-like silicone pad to cushion the drive, in hindsight I would have glued the adapter to the silicone pad or added an additional slice of silicone to provide some pressure.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 4, 2017

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Why don't you build a full-passive mITX PC or NUC with IPwhatever weather-sealing to drive the speakers, and then have an iPad connect over wifi/bluetooth to allow selecting the tunes?

:laffo: thanks I'll give that a try.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

jim close posted:

Eh, either or honestly, with black Friday coming up I'm sure Walmart will have some phones cheap, I doubt the e4 will make that list but I can wait. Probably going to get Amazon cards for Christmas so that's a back-up. I loved my S4, but now it's become a bitch to charge and the sound cutting out kills any use I had for it currently. I also have a LG g4 that is stuck in a boot loop that I need to call and hopefully send in to get replaced, it was my sister-in-laws phone but we bought he the e4 (I think) last year so maybe I could trade it. Thanks for your swift response though, I figured it would take a while.

I did it a few years ago for my iPod 5.5g. It wasn't too bad. There's been a lot of developments since I did it though:

https://www.iflash.xyz/runtime-shootout-2016-quad-dual-solo-msata-vs-original-hard-drive/

Here's a quick comparison of the different HD options you have now. I bought the adapter I used for my iPod from this guy and had no issues.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The nice thing about using an Android device as a media player only is that you can buy one of the subsidized prepaid devices. Walmart is selling the Verizon Prepaid E4 for $40. Unfortunately it's currently out of stock in most stores and online. Apparently you can actually unlock this phone and use it with most GSM providers with a $2 code from eBay, which is really unusual for prepaid phones.

There may also be some cheap prepaid phones with better DAC's out there, but I haven't researched this in a while.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah that’s kind of what I was thinking — mainly (I honestly have no idea since I haven’t used Android phones for years) for just music and podcasts using WiFi what’s the benefit of a $100 E4 over any $30 prepaid ZTE/Alcatel/whatever prepaid phone you can grab from, say, Best Buy?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Apparently you can actually unlock this phone and use it with most GSM providers with a $2 code from eBay, which is really unusual for prepaid phones.

Verizon wanted some LTE frequencies so badly that are essential to their network now awhile back that they agreed to a deal with the FCC that they wouldn't sell any device that used them that was locked. Verizon still loads their prepaid phones up with a bunch of bloatware and an annoying to bypass setup screen that tries to force you to activate service on Verizon before you use the phone but they should all still be unlocked.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

I saw that just today and I was wondering if the bootloader was unlocked.
Not on the Amazon ads version.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

My old iPod classic is dying. Sound only comes out of one headphone and syncing it to my PC is a nightmare where I need to hit the start and center button 2 or 3 times for the computer to read it. I love the simplicity of it and that I can work in my garden and it doesn't matter if it gets dirty, or if I plug it into speakers I don't have everything get interrupted when I get a text. I was an early adopter of podcasts and subscribe to about 30 of them so I always have something new to listen to even if I can't get it streamed in. I guess that I have been doing podcasts the same way for about 12 years, but I like having an actual downloaded file.

I am converting my old Galaxy 3 to a stand alone music player and it will be fine. As a bonus I can move into this decade and download via wifi and use Bluetooth, but I won't have a phone or data plan for it. All is good except I forgot how much bloatware Verizon put on it. It seems that the only way to remove it is to root it. Does anyone have any good suggestions? All I see is links that have been dead for years and sketchy things that I'm supposed to download onto my computer.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zeta Taskforce posted:

My old iPod classic is dying. Sound only comes out of one headphone and syncing it to my PC is a nightmare where I need to hit the start and center button 2 or 3 times for the computer to read it.

For the audio, you can get the headphone jack replaced for reasonably cheap, most guys would probably give you a reduced fare just to have a crack at it

Not sure about the center button but that's replaceable too. While you have it open probably time for a battery swap/upgrade.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Anyone have experience with the XDuoo X3? It seems like a reasonably priced DAP and you can put rockbox on it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

mariooncrack posted:

Anyone have experience with the XDuoo X3? It seems like a reasonably priced DAP and you can put rockbox on it.

I love mine but it's pretty much necessary to put rockbox on it since if I remember correctly it corrects some kind of clockspeed issue with the stock firmware that causes certain formats to play back at the wrong speed.

Having two microsd cards is awesome and I haven't run into any trouble with the player at all.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Looking for a bit of advice so I can tell my wife I actually have an idea for what she can buy me for Christmas.

I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade my PMP. For the last 7 or 8 years I've used a Cowon J3. The last few years it has been paired with HiFiMan RE-600S (the non-balanced version of the RE-600).

Source files are almost exclusively FLACs ripped from my CD collection.

I see that since the J3 was out there has been a whole raft of "hi-def" music players, including ones from HiFiMan. I like the J3 - it sounds good, has a strong battery life and a nice small form factor. I can imagine the sound being improved upon, however, and bigger storage wouldn't go amiss (although equal storage wouldn't be a dealbreaker in a new PMP if everything else were right).

I note that the new players all have very high maximum sample rates (either 192 or 384 kHz), which is of course higher than the 44 kHz of my FLAC files. But I assume that improved DAC circuitry and inbuilt headphone amps would still offer an improvement over the J3.

Am I right that it is worth looking to upgrade the J3, given my source files, and can anyone point me in the right direction/provide a few recommendations to kick off my research, please? Would be looking at mid to high end, probably, in the region of £500-£1,000.

Will initially pair with the RE-600S, and then look to ultimately get a new pair of IEMs too, particularly if the new players supports balanced 'phones.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Strap in for very long videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swey6TvNuK4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAaYlnta9q8

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
This image basically is the summation of everything I would expect from someone reviewing high end audio players.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

This image basically is the summation of everything I would expect from someone reviewing high end audio players.

Where's the OG PlayStation 1 with the lid removed?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I hate to poo-poo someone else's rec, but I'm not a fan of the Bassplay P3000.

It doesn't fully read metadata/tags under the "Music" heading. It can decipher album & artist, but it doesn't organize tracks by track number (ignoring disc # entirely) and lists them in alphabetical order. This is mitigated by navigating under the "Folder view", which will, oddly enough, organize tracks by track number. But the folders themselves are not listed in alphabetical order. Instead, it appears to list them in order added to the device.

Finally, and the biggest issue for me, there's no way to build a "Play Now" playlist. The device is limited to 3 playlists. Unfortunately, these playlists can only be made via the player itself and not via an app on your computer. Annoyingly, songs must be added one at a time. Since I like to setup several albums to play at a stretch, this is not the player for me.

I suppose I just had too high of hopes for a new, cheap player to replace my Zune HD that took a swim back in November. :cryingZune: Are the only reasonably priced options the ones using SD cards? Also, are UI's just going to be poo poo regardless at this price point?

EDIT: Are the Sony Walkmans any good?

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 9, 2018

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
I have a Fiio X3 2nd Gen that I love, especially because it has a dedicated line out for using in the car or on my receiver at home. I'm also planning on bringing my iPod classic back from the dead by installing this with a couple 128gb micro SD cards I've got kicking around as well as a new battery and since I hate iTunes with a passion I'm going to put Rockbox on it. Should be a fun project. Looking forward to using all the crap I have with iPod docks again.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Zeta Taskforce posted:

My old iPod classic is dying. Sound only comes out of one headphone ...

I have had this same problem come up, but now I am curious if someone has a fix for my mucking around with it. I have an ipod classic I got around 2008 or so, in the last few months the right speaker stopped working. I thought it was mostly due to a poor connection, since if I put pressure on the headphone jack the right way I could get both speakers to work. I messed around with it trying to get a better connection by using foil and just poking and prodding it, and it did seem to work a little better in that it takes less effort to get the right speaker working. However, once I stopped playing with it (and took all foil and stuff out of the jack), it is now painfully loud even on the minimum volume. If I increase the volume it can still go up higher, so it is not like the volume dial does not work or do anything, just that at the very bottom with no bar visible it is really loud still. I checked any settings that seemed relevant and reset it a bunch, but nothing has fixed it. I have not tried plugging it into my computer to see if a hard reset from an update or something would fix it. Where would I even go to get the aux port replaced, do they still do that at Apple Stores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
You can do it yourself if you're up to the task.