Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

No one ever takes a bath. I guess in most you can imagine there is off screen time on the world map or something where characters do the laundry and all that. FF13-1 though is a movie-like experience and you follow these characters along never taking a shower and probably sweating like crazy. In FFX you get in the water regularly and that is fine. This isn't a fetish thing either poo poo is just gross. I know it's one of those "well do you want to SEE your characters use the bathroom?" kind of things, but they could at least imply why everyone either smells rosy fresh or doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Same with movies and TV. If art imitates life and such then we should see characters clipping their toenails and popping zits on their rear end in complete awkward silence.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

zen death robot posted:

You don't see them eat either OP

Or hell, sleep really

No, sleeping is a big part of the Final Fantasy games! Inns are where you go to gain back all of your HP and MP. :eng101:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

metricchip posted:

Same with movies and TV. If art imitates life and such then we should see characters clipping their toenails and popping zits on their rear end in complete awkward silence.

You say this, but just you wait until a Metal Gear Solid game goes there. Taking bets on Phantom Pain having this.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

zen death robot posted:

You don't see them eat either OP

Or hell, sleep really

There are house interiors and inns with beds and you drat well know it. It's implied that sleeping happens in the world of FF

metricchip posted:

I'd argue some middle ground but you see I can live with the characters not clipping their nails for a couple weeks and nail supplies can hide in a static drawer somewhere. I'm talking worlds without showers.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Final Fantasy 6 has toilets, but only if you're a privileged imperial citizen.

In the dystopian future, only Kefka has toilets.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
so what you're saying is that you want David Cage designing Final Fantasy?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FuriousGeorge posted:

so what you're saying is that you want David Cage designing Final Fantasy?
then we'd only see tifa taking a bath

if you wanna see some man baths, you gotta hit up suda 51

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
But there's that scene in FF7 where Cloud and a bunch of dudes take a bath...

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it is also strange how you can barge into stranger's houses and steal their stuff, and it's strange how a rat monter will drop like a sword or a potion... where was he holding that!?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Stuffguyman posted:

But there's that scene in FF7 where Cloud and a bunch of dudes take a bath...

there's also the scene where aeris takes a bath

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The purifying effects of white magic are a bath.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

all characters are very clean

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
You also run across pools in caves and stuff that refill your meters so I guess you can assume those are baths in 2D pixel land

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

sector_corrector posted:

it is also strange how you can barge into stranger's houses and steal their stuff, and it's strange how a rat monter will drop like a sword or a potion... where was he holding that!?

monsters will eat just about anything

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The characters in every Final Fantasy are coated in Scotchgard OP. This is canon.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
actually op, anime characters as seen in the final fantasy video games never get dirty, and never need a bath

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

too soon

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

GulagDolls posted:

:drat:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah. And why do we drive on the parkway and park on the driveway!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cloud must take a shower. or else the shinra dude likes his cathouse girls unwashed.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Endorph posted:

then we'd only see tifa taking a bath

if you wanna see some man baths, you gotta hit up suda 51

um, david cage gave us the most prominent man butt in recent times with heavy rain.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
In most games based in a lower fantasy world it's safe to assume the characters generally dont bathe or shower often. However, the smell would be "normal" to them and doesn't call for comment. In more overtly high tech settings such as Final Fantasy: Lightning Returns I agree that we should see all the characters showering. Unfortunately Ellen Page has done her best to scare developers off of it. It's sad when the industry bows to censorship like that but what can the common gamer really do?

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008
it was at the very beginning too how do you miss that

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
This is why Earthbound and Mother 3 are the best RPGs.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
peach takes a shower in that wii game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

monsters in final fantasy are very good investors, but they carry too much of their gil with them.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

except in ff12, where the game makes you sell a bunch of wacky monster pieces for gil for absolutely no goddamn reason, and you realize it was better when they just unrealistically rewarded you the money for killing the monster.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Bicyclops posted:

except in ff12, where the game makes you sell a bunch of wacky monster pieces for gil for absolutely no goddamn reason, and you realize it was better when they just unrealistically rewarded you the money for killing the monster.

my immersion

FF12 had the potential to be an immensely cool game but even the Zodiac version is kinda grindy and bleh plus the plot and characters mostly don't go anywhere. Even the soundtrack was pretty bland

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

my immersion

FF12 had the potential to be an immensely cool game but even the Zodiac version is kinda grindy and bleh plus the plot and characters mostly don't go anywhere. Even the soundtrack was pretty bland

yeah. like the selling monster parts thing could have actually been cool if the weird rewards system had been a little more expansive and transparent. it's kind of cool that the game plays itself for a lot of the grindier parts, but they saw it as an excuse to make everything grindy. also, a lot of the best weapons are rare drops from enemies that only appear on one screen like one our of every ten times you walk through it.

i think the soundtrack is just because uematsu didn't do it though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

peach takes a shower in that wii game

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Bicyclops posted:

i think the soundtrack is just because uematsu didn't do it though.

one of the guys involved in the soundtrack was the guy from Final Fantasy Tactics though, which had an awesome soundtrack. so what gives

also the hunts with monsters that only show up with a 1/10,000 chance during a specific weather condition or whatever are loving stupid

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

at last, sir basch, it's midnight on a leap day and we were in the secret room of the Henne mines. we can at last kill the rat that alligator thing on the beach told us to murder.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I remember being amazed the first time I played FFXII that they used the evil twin brother plot unironically

that game had a lot of weird decisions. still not as weird as Cloud getting raped by a gang of gay men in Disc 1 of FF7 though

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the opening video has the funny religion man say something like "FARAM. Here marks the end of Rabanastre...." it was pretty lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

http://www.ffwa.org/ff12/script.php?page=01

Knight: Nabudis has fallen!

King: Impossible!

Rasler: My father?

Knight: I know not. I am sorry.

Man: If Nabudis has indeed fallen... it is only a matter of time before they reach the borders of Dalmasca. There is nothing to halt their advance.

King: Secure Nalbina with all haste.

Knight: I will go.

[The Knight turns around and heads to the door...]

Rasler: And I will go at his side.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
it's like a manual for how NOT to introduce someone to your fantasy world. I don't envy the translators

also lol at a dude in the huge-rear end opening cutscene actually taking advantage of the gaping hole in the anime protagonist's armor to shoot him in the throat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I like how the plots some weird super dense game of thrones stuff & the main characters are a pair of 12 year old children who don't affect it in any way and just wander around with everyone else for no real reason. I also liked killing the skeletons for bone parts and selling the bone parts for Gil.

• Locked thread