Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which fight are you most excited for?
This poll is closed.
Pettis/RDA 31 26.27%
WMMA belt 11 9.32%
Hendricks/Brown 42 35.59%
Nelson/Reem 34 28.81%
Total: 118 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

Wise Learned Man posted:

Even though Joanna's last fight was pretty good I didn't think much of her until this round of embedded and the weigh-in cookie. Maybe I'm just a sucker for an accent, but I'm now rooting for Joanna instead of just against Carla.

Haha yeah same, I dig the accent, she seems like a cool chick, and Carla never really stood out for me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wow with that Embedded I'm officially into that women's fight after all that trash talking.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i hope josh copeland wins, i don't mind what happens in all the other fights

i hope rosholt loving crushes him

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
it is really remarkable how far matt brown has come both in ability and card placement.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

david carmichael posted:

i hope rosholt loving crushes him

i aim for nothing short of the iconoclastic destruction of team takedown

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

What do you think of brown in general? I know we don't see eye to eye on everything, but normally you can convince me you know more than me. IMO, Brown matches up badly with Lawler because of his head movement if nothing else, but im not a martial artist at all so every opinion i have is retarded

Brown has very little head movement and tends to come in and go out with his head straight on the centerline, which is bad as you say, but he mitigates this by being very good at parrying punches and proactively positioning his arms to bridge the gap as he gets into the clinch, which is where he gets most of his best work done.

The thing about this is that parrying and preemptively blocking the arms (which is something you see a lot in Muay Thai and if I were Jack Slack I'd probably be rhapsodizing about Sandy Sadler over it) is really only effective against head punches, which is why Brown always seems to get taken advantage of by shots to the body.

I think this specific example is a good summary of Brown in general, which is that he's become a very effective fighter by using the things he's good at to compensate for the things he's bad at - Bad at head movement but compensates by being good at closing the distance and parrying punches, still not great at wrestling but compensates by getting very good at muay thai style dumps from the clinch, which are disproportionately difficult to defend against because they come during times when the opponent is worrying about all the strikes he's throwing from the clinch, not great positionally on the ground, but good at throwing a bunch of submission offense in rapid succession, which gets guys too busy defending to get their own offense going against him. And it's all backed up being being a very tough guy who takes his conditioning very seriously.

Based on Hendricks previous fights I wouldn't think he lines up all that well to take advantage of most of Brown's weak areas except for wrestling, but on the other hand until the second Lawler fight I'm not sure he'd ever thrown a decent leg kick and they were a major part of his offense for the first half, so it's entirely possible he'll show up with something new in his toolbox for this fight as well. If this were a five round fight I think the combination of his questionable conditioning and Brown's degree of pressure would put Hendricks at serious risk of losing, but with three rounds I think Hendricks would be favored to take it by basically fighting the same fight he did against Condit. Either guy could very easily hurt the other, though, and from then on it's all up in the air.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

EliasTheodorou posted:

I weighed in at 4pm for #UFC185.

Now at 7pm, currently stand 206.8lbs - That's science and 21.8 pounds in 3 hours.

EliasTheodorou posted:

To update on weight...

Bed time for me as it is 1 am in Dallas. Currently rehydrated and a healthy 214.5lbs

Zounds

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oh crap, I forgot Brown vs Hendricks was tonight. It's not a good night to be a chin.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I finally got around to watching all the Embedded videos and Matt Brown's signature being "MB" is just perfect.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

He's going to die

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
how many fights has it been since Hendricks really hurt someone with a punch? did he do that against Lawler either time? honestly don't remember

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

I appreciate this man destroying his endocrine system or whatever for our entertainment and will donate to his Gofundme in twenty years

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It took me six months to lose 30 pounds. My hate could fire a thousand suns.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Anybody know a good place to watch this in downtown Dallas? I'm an out of towner.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

how many fights has it been since Hendricks really hurt someone with a punch? did he do that against Lawler either time? honestly don't remember

He hurt GSP

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
It always sort of seems like nobody likes to take too many direct hits from Johny, whether or not he's actually wobbling folks he sure seems to do damage.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
This is cool as ice and I can't wait to watch it!

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

His last KO was when he punched Martin Kampmann so hard that Kampmann flew several feet backwards like in a Popeye cartoon.

In his next fight he blasted Condit several times in the early going, but Condit shook it off and worked him over on the feet, which led Hendricks to fall back on wrestling ride out the decision. That was the first fight where it was really noticeable that his top game sucks, because he did pretty much nothing in terms of passing or ground and pound, he just laid in Condit's guard stalling. In fact if I'm remembering right Condit landed more and better strikes from his back than Hendricks did from the top.

Against GSP, Hendricks caught him with the overhand left and hurt him pretty bad at least once, but GSP recovered.

In Hendricks-Lawler 1, Robbie's head movement in the first three rounds was phenomenal. It looked like a magic trick or something. Hendricks had almost no success with his hands but he landed a ton of drat heavy leg kicks, which were a new weapon for him. In the later rounds Lawler was exhausted and his legs were battered, and he couldn't slip punches as well any longer, and finally I think Hendricks found his chin and hurt him pretty bad with the left, I want to say deep in the fourth round?

Hendricks-Lawler 2 I don't think he ever had Robbie hurt.

So he's been connecting on guys and hurting them, he just hasn't been knocking heads off like he used to.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Surely anyone fighting johny would be heavily prepared for the straight left at this point, and Robbie's slipping and rolling in the first fight really was goddamned magic. Johny has done well to add more tools to his arsenal, and if he keeps improving it will open the left back up

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
The fact this isnt a 5 round fight like fatherdog mentioned is a real shame becauz i tjut means we have a a bvigger chance of Johny doing some laying around on top of Matt Brown for a round or two and that bein a deciding factor. I have no problem with that but I wanna see some wicked violence betwen those guys. I like both fighters i like Brown a lot but I also like Hendricks so this is a lovely one to see go down, hopefully its Hendricks that goes down though. :ohdear:

Any fight that Matt Brown is in has apotential to be the best fight of all time though so this will own own own. So happy of all of the fights today it is just great card full stop.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
kampmann was also in the middle of the air when he got blasted with the left

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

kampmann was also in the middle of the air when he got blasted with the left

Danish kick boxing champion

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Kampmann is an appropriate successor to Ludwig as far as being able to teach alpha male guys how to get brutally knocked out

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
To tie this back to the overeem talk the other day: bang is one of those guys who you can look at and be like "oh he used a muay Thai guard that relied on bigger gloves" except he was also brutally knocked out a bunch in his muay Thai fights

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

david carmichael posted:

Kampmann is an appropriate successor to Ludwig as far as being able to teach alpha male guys how to get brutally knocked out

You're right, athletic performance is directly associated with coaching ability.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

david carmichael posted:

I will always have to respect Kampaman for making Diego Sanchez look like a character in mortal kombat after their clothes get busted off of their body and they just bleed all over the place.

That was probably one of the best things Kampman will ever do. Losses to Condit, Hendricks, Shield, Daley, Sanchez aren't exactly shameful. HE has a pretty impressive resume but his last few fights were definitely not looking good for his health overall.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

To tie this back to the overeem talk the other day: bang is one of those guys who you can look at and be like "oh he used a muay Thai guard that relied on bigger gloves" except he was also brutally knocked out a bunch in his muay Thai fights

Bang was a really good striker with a really bad chin

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also, it's in the graphic in the OP, but just to remind people - the televised prelims are on FX tonight, not Fox Sports 1

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

fatherdog posted:

My favorite example of this is when he fought the one armed ghost of Ramon Dekkers in K1 and got dropped multiple times, at least once by a jab.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

That's not science it's super villain science. :stonk:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I think RDA is going to win.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dangersim posted:

I'd pick Pettis but it's actually a really close fight.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Dangersim posted:

that would make Khabib vs RDA II really unsatisfying, while Pettis vs Khabib would be an all-time great. So no. He can't win.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Dangersim posted:

He's a 4.5 to 1 underdog, you know what you gotta do

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

that would make Khabib vs RDA II really unsatisfying

Why?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

I just don't see how Rafael Dos Anjos would offer much more against Khabib these days than he did a year ago, where he had little to nothing. Khabib would be a big favorite heading into the fight.

But hey if Donald pulls off the upset too then I'd be down for RDA vs Cerrone II for the belt.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You're right, athletic performance is directly associated with coaching ability.

remember how after ludwig took over as coach of TAM they all got brutally knocked out when leaping in with their punches

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
nothing about "athletic ability" made kampmann bad at striking. you can be slow, fat, weak and still not bounce on both your feet at the same time

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

david carmichael posted:

remember how after ludwig took over as coach of TAM they all got brutally knocked out when leaping in with their punches

i dont remember that happening tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

fatherdog posted:

hear me out here: if he was so good, why would he not adjust his style to stop getting hit clean constantly

• Locked thread