Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Let's do this thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Vanilla town motherfuckers

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

so i didn't read the past nine pages

sup

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Matthew Beet posted:

I think he said SA is blocked at his work.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

some days i can phone post but today was not one of those days

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I suggest that we lynch in alphabetical order.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Matthew Beet posted:

i say to be fair we alternate between lynches from alphabetical to reverse alphabetical and then back again.

milky and i will arm wrestle at the end to determine the victor.

my months of weightlifting have led to this moment - to win a game of mafia

you've fallen into my trap, beet!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Asphyxious posted:

Not having a pity party, I just tend to get bumped off early. Unlike Anidav I don't get all "why me, you guys are mean!" because honestly I don't care.

The difference is I get bumped off by scum, or at best an incompetent town vig.

I

AM

NOT

INCOMPETENT

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I haven't voted because I have nine hours to decide and I'm not certain about putting a vote down given it feels likely a train will be run on someone.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Alright, let me do some reading. You nerds sure do post a lot.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Firstly, I suggest we take a moment to have a hearty little lol at all the people who have suspicion on me for claiming vanilla town.

It's all I am, it's all I have to give to the town consensus at this time.

Day 1 has been a mess though and I'm trying to parse my thoughts into something workable, hopefully before I go see Chappie.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

##vote thatbastardken

day one vote, motherfuckers

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lid posted:

##unvote

##vote Milky Moor

I'm vanilla town. If you want to lynch me, I don't particularly care and at least you won't randomly be lynching a power role. Still, it'd be better to lynch someone who isn't definitely town.

Your move.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lid posted:

Are you really going to be seeing Chappie? REALLY?

Yep, heading out now in fact.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

thatbastardken posted:

Yeah, but that may be personal bias. I genuinely don't think that day one data is valuable, at least not to me. Kinda have to go off hunches until longer patterns emerge.

Probably atm I'd go:

1) Asphyxious
2) Milky Moor
3) Bifauxnen

but that's not based on much.

If this was the scum team, the town wouldn't have much of a chance, no offence, and Day 1 would be going very differently. Strange post.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Dat Gwyn post :eyepop:

Also my ideal scum team would be me, me, me and then me again

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Oh my god town

So many bad decisions

So many unhelpful players

Someone post the Dale Gribble twelve-headed jackass quote for me because that is pretty accurate

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lid posted:

Can you do a write up of what you saw?

My scum picks were the following: you, Sulla, Bell_Jar, Mith, Gwyn. You were way too quiet, Sulla and BJ were unhelpful at best and Mith and Gwyn just gave me scum vibes.

I'll do my thoughts tonight but I would have been doing policy lynches on quiet players from the start, not at Day 6.

I don't know why people forgot the list. I don't know why someone tried employing Occam's razor against Anidav by quoting a more complex argument as being more simple. As maudlin as Anidav's posts are, he either was what he said he was or there was a Governor. No Governor came forwards. Therefore...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Also, that theory from Gough! While interesting, that's something I'd do because I'm kind of a jerk - not TOML!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

tithin posted:

If it helps any, its looking likely that there'll be another Worm Mafia game, being chaired by Milky with me to assist with Design.

:getin:

Yeah man, get hype.

Anyways, like I've said before, Auspol towns suffer from being so hostile, argumentative and generally forgetful. I'm going to go so far as to say that, due to this, scum teams hold a significant advantage in most Auspol games and that there needs to be an element of pro-town bias in the setup to counteract that. I've said before that the best thing a town can do is stay calm and constructive - this prevents easy lynchs except on the basis of policy, lying or bad arguments and it forces the scum to come to the table. If you lynch people who aren't posting enough or who are just popping in to vote, then the scum must engage and they're more likely to slip up if they're forced to argue their points.

As much as people like to say that it's okay to play Mafia how you like (eg: belljar), I'm going to fundamentally disagree. Every single game in human history is predicated on the idea that both sides are playing to win. A town player popping in to just vote or to vote on the basis of 'what's funny' isn't playing to win. A scum team who buses their scum partners for no real reason isn't playing to win. Someone who votes for themselves, as town, isn't playing to win. Encouraging an atmosphere of 'this sucks, I want it to be over' isn't playing to win. This, of course, gets altered in games with new or strange roles. You can bend these rules, sure, but this is something that really hurt the town this game.

Similarly, I'm going to disagree that there shouldn't be a meta. Metagaming is natural. The problem is Auspol towns metagame at the expense of the current game. It's normal for there to be good players and bad players. It's normal for players to have certain tells. It's normal for players to argue for lynches based on the policy that a player can be a detriment even if they're town. Do I like being known as a shifty guy who is 'probably' running some sort of extravagant WIFOM plan? Not really. Is it better or worse than being known as generally disruptive like Anidav? That's neither here or there.

As far as the 'we have lives' argument goes, yeah, unfortunately there's no real way to regulate that. Auspolfia is really made for quick games. I've seen games where days last a week and people were getting subbed in before the first night action. That's the other extreme and, honestly, is just as bad. I think that twenty four hours is a good time but players also need to have a certain understanding that posting over and over again isn't necessary. This isn't a chatroom. Posts can be read at a later date. Say your piece, maybe rebuff a few arguments, then sit back.

Another minor thing is, like, don't be afraid to roleclaim. People like to say it's a bad idea, but given that there's usually heaps of night roles running around, it might be in your best interest. More information helps the town.

Would I like seeing more people playing? Sure. But I also like the close-knit group we have because of the metagame, too. We just can't afford to let it drive people away or force us into making sub-optimal decisions.

Not sure what else to add. I'd suggest that maybe people read the articles on mafia theory on the mafiascum wiki if you're interested in improving the state of Auspol games?

Other than that, the work that TOML and SK put into this game is pretty phenomenal. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

As for the new role thing?

Well, every single Mafia role that people use was designed by someone at some point. Originally there were no night actions, no cop, no doctor, no anything. The game is constantly evolving.

• Locked thread