Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
oh yeah

##unvote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If someone claims in the first five pages and your first reaction isn't "joke" you're probably a dummy.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ernie. posted:

maybe consider the similarities: in both cases cpig exploited my claim to vote me off the bat

opop is another player who always calls my bullshit, and he has done no such thing

That's an interesting Cpig vote, but doesn't he troll constantly? Why would he care what would happen either way? Also Opop totally called you out.

Opopanax posted:

Just maaayyyybbbbeeee

That and his preceding post are what I agree with completely. I'm actually kinda surprised how much people ran with it to be honest.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah, QPQ reads to me like scum who is jumping on a townie and trying to get him dunked for a few awkward posts.

I feel like it'd be too obvious an attack for scum to dare attempt this early in the game, but perhaps lights out makes one more gung-ho. As it is it fits in my meta for qpq, or maybe I'm thinking quidnose. Either way.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Ernie wrote it baly, but I read it as him saying "Opop didn't try to get a vote on me and instead called me on my bullshit". Bad phrasing on Ernie's part.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Glockenapfel posted:

I only have two games behind me but in at least one of them CPig did this same move to try to catch tagalong scum. Not sure if he's in earnest here.

Take a look at his avatar text. Someone spent $10 to tell us that Pig bein' Pig. Pig is always being Pig and in my experience it usually gets him lynched early.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know who to vote for. ##no hang

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Jedit posted:

Take a look at his avatar text. Someone spent $10 to tell us that Pig bein' Pig. Pig is always being Pig and in my experience it usually gets him lynched early.

Oh wait, I almost forgot about our game

Jedit is scum

##vote jedit

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

The Ninth Layer posted:

If someone claims in the first five pages and your first reaction isn't "joke" you're probably a dummy.

I am the dummy.

##unvote

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Hello I am here I will read the thread and post more tomorrow.

In the meantime assume the person who posts immediately after this post is scum.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Oh you got me!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Never fails.

Also goddamn I had a weekend in the good and in the lose a poo poo ton of money sense.

I am literally the worst at poker gently caress everything.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

You need to be more like me, Keane. I am the one who knocks ... until someone else finally realizes that I'm not raising all night long and I'm unreadable.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CCKeane posted:

Never fails.

Also goddamn I had a weekend in the good and in the lose a poo poo ton of money sense.

I am literally the worst at poker gently caress everything.

The only way to win is to not play. Losing money like that stresses me out so much that I can't even enjoy it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

a worthy uhh posted:

Agreed.

I'm torn on Ernie because it could be a joke, or it could be a legitimate stupid 3pslip, but him coming back and saying "lol it was a joke", which he's going to do, doesn't take it back. We can't know for sure now and I am going to operate under the assumption that Ernie is 3P from now on.

I don't like this post. To assume he's going to say it's a joke but still be willing to vote him off is pretty mean spirited and not in town's interest.

a worthy uhh posted:

I feel like you are going a little TOO hard on PMom and some of your accusations don't necessarily reflect reality

This seems a bit hypocritical considering your case/vote on Ernie.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Quandary posted:

As a general rule Lynch all third parties is a good plan

Why necessarily? Executing a 3P wastes our only kill opportunity and doesn't advance our goal to eliminate the scum. I know that 3P can go and may often side with the scum, but this early on they're as much a threat if not more so to them than they are to us since we still have a huge numerical advantage.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

To Ernie:

Ernie. posted:

he was scum there, but his reaction is consistent throughout our histories of playing together where he simply calls bullshit on my shenanigans (i'm too lazy to find an example when he was town)

Not finding an example kinda weakens your point but it (your point) still stands. I'm curious as to your take on Winvirus's vote on you, which he's kept there. His vote was the briefest and least explained and the fact that that was all we heard sits badly with me.

Ernie. posted:

has done no such thing: didn't exploit it to vote me!

This doesn't make sense, why would Opop exploit a joke claim on your part to vote you? The way I read his comment was you are NOT 3P, and he hasn't made a call on your scumminess or towniness. I read amoeba's explanation and I still don't get it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Why necessarily? Executing a 3P wastes our only kill opportunity and doesn't advance our goal to eliminate the scum. I know that 3P can go and may often side with the scum, but this early on they're as much a threat if not more so to them than they are to us since we still have a huge numerical advantage.

this is a ~lights out~ game we can dunk as many people in a day as we want

EccoRaven posted:

------- :siren: SPECIAL GAME RULES :siren: -------
This game's executions will be in the Lights Out format. Upon the first player reaching enough votes to be executed, the deadline will change to 24 hours from hammer. Upon the second execution, the deadline will again reset to 12 hours from hammer. Then 6 hours, then 3 hours, and so on in that fashion. When a deadline is reached without a majority vote, or when the town hammers ##no hang, the day will end, all executed players will be flipped, and night will begin.

killing a benign 3p doesn't keep us from killing more people, but does get scum a bit closer to their wincon.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ernie. posted:

##vote capitalistpig

players who've played with me fewer times might be tricked by the sincerity that i display when i fake-claim at the beginning of my games, but by now he's seen me do it 30+ times, there's no chance he took it seriously

I felt tentative about this earlier. And I still don't know about Cpig, he's the sort of player I have a lot of trouble reading and his voting of Jedit just sort of confirms that for me. But this is a poor defense:

CapitalistPig posted:

Honestly I'm just shocked anyone's taking anything seriously right now, the game just started.

This is disingenuous. Whatever your stance on Ernie's post and the quibbling that followed you can only read the sincerity in with which people like QPQ and PMom were posting.

Also, you were dead right in our last game and I still feel pretty bad about that, especially since I went after you specifically finding fault in your meta-case.

##vote capitalistpig

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

this is a ~lights out~ game we can dunk as many people in a day as we want

killing a benign 3p doesn't keep us from killing more people, but does get scum a bit closer to their wincon.

Good point. Thanks!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The only way to win is to not play. Losing money like that stresses me out so much that I can't even enjoy it.

I didn't lose more than I was planning, I am just mad because I get super competitive in most things and I haven't had a solid win in any competitive event for a while.

I made bad choices and has some bad luck. :(

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CCKeane posted:

I didn't lose more than I was planning, I am just mad because I get super competitive in most things and I haven't had a solid win in any competitive event for a while.
Cheer up: it's dodgeball season, and soon it'll be softball season, too.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I felt tentative about this earlier. And I still don't know about Cpig, he's the sort of player I have a lot of trouble reading and his voting of Jedit just sort of confirms that for me. But this is a poor defense:

This is disingenuous. Whatever your stance on Ernie's post and the quibbling that followed you can only read the sincerity in with which people like QPQ and PMom were posting.

Also, you were dead right in our last game and I still feel pretty bad about that, especially since I went after you specifically finding fault in your meta-case.

##vote capitalistpig

I'm shooting from the hip but this feels pretty formal for a game one post. Do you normally post like this?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CCKeane posted:

I'm shooting from the hip but this feels pretty formal for a game one post. Do you normally post like this?

Game one? And yeah I tend to post like that. I've tried to change without much success.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Game one? And yeah I tend to post like that. I've tried to change without much success.

Day one. TAKE IT EASY.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't like this post. To assume he's going to say it's a joke but still be willing to vote him off is pretty mean spirited and not in town's interest.

The point of that comment is that no matter what Ernie says, there will still be doubt about his alignment all game, because backpedaling with "it was a joke" is a non-conclusion for any claim -- you can't unring a bell.

quote:

This seems a bit hypocritical considering your case/vote on Ernie.

The relevant comment there is that the accusations didn't reflect reality -- what, at that point, did I say about Ernie that he did not say or do? QPQ accused PintMom of saying things that were not said.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CCKeane posted:

Day one. TAKE IT EASY.

Ok.

a worthy uhh posted:

The point of that comment is that no matter what Ernie says, there will still be doubt about his alignment all game, because backpedaling with "it was a joke" is a non-conclusion for any claim -- you can't unring a bell.

What I disliked about it was the assumption that he was going to say he was joking. Myself and others, like Opop, figured it was a joke from the get go. Here it reads like you know it was one too but you jumped in anyway.

As for the hypocrisy, while you don't say Ernie said things he didn't, you are being really hard on him for a Day 1 joke post especially if it's going to cloud your judgement in regards to him the rest of the day. I'd say that's harsh in light of his motives.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I've already said this so I'll quote myself

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Now he's "caught" CPig with his "gambit" and my vote is standing because I have yet to find a reason to unvote.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

You're right. Ok fair enough. I didn't read individual post histories but rather thread as a whole up through those posts and I forgot that after the other things came up.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

##vote capitalistpig

Lol idiot.

The Jedit thing is something we do in every game we are in.

Jedit tells me I'm lynched early in every game. I respond by voting. Its a thing we do.

It'll come off as soon as there's actually a good case on someone.

But it's day one so that's not likely to happen.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

100yrs don't listen to me on this case, I guess. My stuff in the discussion thread is independent of this game.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CapitalistPig posted:

Lol idiot.

The Jedit thing is something we do in every game we are in.

Jedit tells me I'm lynched early in every game. I respond by voting. Its a thing we do.

Not going to verify that. But I'm not voting you for your vote on Jedit, that for me is proof that you're doing your usual thing, which I can't really understand. It's more for saying that you don't think people were playing seriously when in fact they were.

Ernie. posted:

100yrs don't listen to me on this case, I guess. My stuff in the discussion thread is independent of this game.

This is unrelated to the discussion thread and is general meta/experience stuff for me. First you've given accurate advice previously, which I've ignored, and I want to take into consideration this time. 2nd I feel your trustworthy enough, I thought your joke claim was clearly a joke and that we had people tripping all over it is somewhat surprising. 3rd, I still find Cpig's post pretty disingenuous. If you don't want me to listen to you on this case why're you still voting Cpig? Also what're your thoughts on winvirus.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

While there are of course exceptions, Lynch All Third Parties is generally a good plan because

A) By definition, they don't win with the town. In the case of the win condition Ernie joked about, even if he's scum hunting he's also doc/cop hunting. In that thought experiment, what would you do if he found out who the doc is then outed them in the thread? It's in his best interests obviously, would you want to lynch him then? Then why not lynch him now before that becomes a problem?
B) Very often a third party is lies and is actually more anti-town than they claim.
C) It's not like the day is wasted, there's still lots of good conversation to scum hunt in.

Of course, this is all probably null and void given that ernie claims that isn't his real win condition, so just use this as a ~teaching moment~.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

##vote capitalistpig

This vote is straight scummy vote 101. Handwaving and really bad reach all in one

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

a worthy uhh posted:

I've already said this so I'll quote myself

You should turn avatars on it makes mafia much easier i promise

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
A worthy uhh I really doubt ernie's claim is real and backtracked. That would be an extremely dumb move as a third party, plus the win condition he described would be extraordinarily difficult

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This is unrelated to the discussion thread and is general meta/experience stuff for me. First you've given accurate advice previously, which I've ignored, and I want to take into consideration this time. 2nd I feel your trustworthy enough, I thought your joke claim was clearly a joke and that we had people tripping all over it is somewhat surprising. 3rd, I still find Cpig's post pretty disingenuous. If you don't want me to listen to you on this case why're you still voting Cpig? Also what're your thoughts on winvirus.

How long have you been playing mafia? I'm kinda laughing at the idea that you feel someone is trustworthy like a third of the way through day 1

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Okay, but I'd still like you to vote CPig if you find him scummy, not based on a case I made. This feels weird because this is exactly what I'd like to be able to do but I feel like it's both unearned and it's making me feel weaker about my read.

As for winnie, he just hasn't really said anything yet for me to have a read. It feels like a typical winnie post where he just peaces out after the lightest of reading.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Quandary posted:

How long have you been playing mafia? I'm kinda laughing at the idea that you feel someone is trustworthy like a third of the way through day 1

how long have you been playing? i generally find half the game trustworthy after d1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Quandary posted:

I come and go but I wouldn't call myself completely new at it. I'm a naive optimist by nature and I tend to trust the people I like when playing this game, especially when there's so little to go on such as

Day 1. Also I try not to be such a cynic in life and so I like to believe people are town until proven otherwise. I know the rules dictate this to be impossible but I did mention my reasons to trust Ernie enough in this situation.

Quandary posted:

This vote is straight scummy vote 101. Handwaving and really bad reach all in one

Is the handwaving the part about not being understand Cpig's play style? Because I really can't read people who play irreverently without much pattern to their posts. It always throws me off. But he said something that just reads completely false and lying is key to a scum game.

• Locked thread