Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'll play Ecco. I can't promise quality but I can promise effort. I don't quite get the Lights Out Mechanism though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EccoRaven posted:

"Deadline is for Monday at 11PM EST!"

"Meinberg was hammered Monday at 8:47PM EST. New deadline: Tuesday, 8:47PM EST."

"Dr. Hurt was hammered Tuesday, 4:46PM EST. New deadline: Wednesday, 4:46AM EST."

"Asiina was hammered Tuesday, 5:16PM EST. New deadline: Tuesday, 11:16PM EST."

"Town has voted to no-hang/it is 11:16PM EST and nobody has enough votes to execute."

:s: Meinberg, Town Vanilla, executed. Dr. Hurt, Town Doctor, executed. Asiina, Serial Killer, executed. :s:"

Got it chief. Thanks.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think that list has to be updated I don't see myself on it either. Unless I'm not being allowed to play. :(

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I am such an idiot. I kept thinking that Ecco didn't want me to play, but after Opop joined and I saw him put down as Canadaman I realized that I was a century! Man, have I got egg on my face.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Amoeba102 posted:

It was okay if you liked the music. I moved on to Rocksmith from there. I guess they moved on to real instruments with Guitarhero and Rockband at some point, right?

I just got Rocksmith! Looks like we've got a bunch in common!

But really, I still need to get the cable because I got it during the last steam sale. Also I'm a bass player so hopefully it's got enough going for it in that department. Guitar tends to overshadow bass in these sort of games.

Played the poo poo out of Guitar Hero and Rockband in high school. I kept my 360 in storage just to play Beatles Rock Band if I ever go back home.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Amoeba102 posted:

Like RockSmith 1 you could pretend to be Jack Bruce or Flea for one song each.

The song list in 2014 is fine though there is literally less than 5 songs I'd be genuinely interested in learning to play and maybe 3 different DLC packs entice me. As long as I can get Rebel Rebel from the first game I'd be pleased enough. Finding out about all the custom DLC that exists is pretty cool too.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Jedit posted:

On the subject of My Generation, I'm going to see the Who on Sunday and I have a front row seat. :smuggo:

It does mean I'm going to be slightly less available from Sunday morning to Monday night, though.

Saw them in Paris in VIP :swoon: cause my father-in-law is a journalist. Anyway, they're a lot of fun on stage and the songs still sound good. They don't quite move as much but that can be forgiven. McCartney is another really great old rocker to see.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Amoeba102 posted:

I saw them in 2010 and they were still good then.

I've since stopped going to shows since around 2011. I'll go to smaller shows if the local bands I like are playing. But they haven't had anything on the radar for a while. I'm a bit done with arena shows and standing for hours on end - so that rules out a lot of bands I like.

You could dance. It's what I do. It's like standing except you're moving at the same time.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I slept through the game.... but I'll ##play if anything were to come up. Watch me sleep through that one too.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Got my post. I have to work all day though so I'll be back later.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Jedit posted:

Weekends are usually slow.

Confirming role PM received.

Yeah but tomorrow is election day over here and I can't vote so let's get some traction going so that I can be entertained.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

is marine première ministre yet

I don't see that ever really happening. It's a lot of talk but the country won't vote FN especially if you look at the demographics it just won't go that way. Apathetic as they may be about voting the majority would come out to vote against them as they did in what 2002? She may be elected if they really stopped being so right wing, but then it won't really be them. Every FN run town has usually gone down the shitter since they really don't know how to govern.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Jedit posted:

Stump claim already?

Wouldn't one as a stump say they are a stump? Because if I understand it right their job is just to make discussion?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Also take my views on French politics with a salt shaker on hand because I really don't know much about it but their my skewed perspectives of the company I keep. I really need to learn more about French politics and government. Took me like 6 years to finally get involved in the US system and having to start all over again is a bit disheartening. If anyone wants to give me a crash course French civics course please go ahead. That and/or EU parliament/government, which I don't get at all (and I don't think they do either.)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ernie. posted:

so since none of us have really taken charge and started the game i'm assuming we're all 3p of some sort?

Every person is their own kingdom.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ernie. posted:

maybe consider the similarities: in both cases cpig exploited my claim to vote me off the bat

opop is another player who always calls my bullshit, and he has done no such thing

That's an interesting Cpig vote, but doesn't he troll constantly? Why would he care what would happen either way? Also Opop totally called you out.

Opopanax posted:

Just maaayyyybbbbeeee

That and his preceding post are what I agree with completely. I'm actually kinda surprised how much people ran with it to be honest.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah, QPQ reads to me like scum who is jumping on a townie and trying to get him dunked for a few awkward posts.

I feel like it'd be too obvious an attack for scum to dare attempt this early in the game, but perhaps lights out makes one more gung-ho. As it is it fits in my meta for qpq, or maybe I'm thinking quidnose. Either way.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CCKeane posted:

Never fails.

Also goddamn I had a weekend in the good and in the lose a poo poo ton of money sense.

I am literally the worst at poker gently caress everything.

The only way to win is to not play. Losing money like that stresses me out so much that I can't even enjoy it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

a worthy uhh posted:

Agreed.

I'm torn on Ernie because it could be a joke, or it could be a legitimate stupid 3pslip, but him coming back and saying "lol it was a joke", which he's going to do, doesn't take it back. We can't know for sure now and I am going to operate under the assumption that Ernie is 3P from now on.

I don't like this post. To assume he's going to say it's a joke but still be willing to vote him off is pretty mean spirited and not in town's interest.

a worthy uhh posted:

I feel like you are going a little TOO hard on PMom and some of your accusations don't necessarily reflect reality

This seems a bit hypocritical considering your case/vote on Ernie.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Quandary posted:

As a general rule Lynch all third parties is a good plan

Why necessarily? Executing a 3P wastes our only kill opportunity and doesn't advance our goal to eliminate the scum. I know that 3P can go and may often side with the scum, but this early on they're as much a threat if not more so to them than they are to us since we still have a huge numerical advantage.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

To Ernie:

Ernie. posted:

he was scum there, but his reaction is consistent throughout our histories of playing together where he simply calls bullshit on my shenanigans (i'm too lazy to find an example when he was town)

Not finding an example kinda weakens your point but it (your point) still stands. I'm curious as to your take on Winvirus's vote on you, which he's kept there. His vote was the briefest and least explained and the fact that that was all we heard sits badly with me.

Ernie. posted:

has done no such thing: didn't exploit it to vote me!

This doesn't make sense, why would Opop exploit a joke claim on your part to vote you? The way I read his comment was you are NOT 3P, and he hasn't made a call on your scumminess or towniness. I read amoeba's explanation and I still don't get it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ernie. posted:

##vote capitalistpig

players who've played with me fewer times might be tricked by the sincerity that i display when i fake-claim at the beginning of my games, but by now he's seen me do it 30+ times, there's no chance he took it seriously

I felt tentative about this earlier. And I still don't know about Cpig, he's the sort of player I have a lot of trouble reading and his voting of Jedit just sort of confirms that for me. But this is a poor defense:

CapitalistPig posted:

Honestly I'm just shocked anyone's taking anything seriously right now, the game just started.

This is disingenuous. Whatever your stance on Ernie's post and the quibbling that followed you can only read the sincerity in with which people like QPQ and PMom were posting.

Also, you were dead right in our last game and I still feel pretty bad about that, especially since I went after you specifically finding fault in your meta-case.

##vote capitalistpig

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

this is a ~lights out~ game we can dunk as many people in a day as we want

killing a benign 3p doesn't keep us from killing more people, but does get scum a bit closer to their wincon.

Good point. Thanks!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CCKeane posted:

I'm shooting from the hip but this feels pretty formal for a game one post. Do you normally post like this?

Game one? And yeah I tend to post like that. I've tried to change without much success.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CCKeane posted:

Day one. TAKE IT EASY.

Ok.

a worthy uhh posted:

The point of that comment is that no matter what Ernie says, there will still be doubt about his alignment all game, because backpedaling with "it was a joke" is a non-conclusion for any claim -- you can't unring a bell.

What I disliked about it was the assumption that he was going to say he was joking. Myself and others, like Opop, figured it was a joke from the get go. Here it reads like you know it was one too but you jumped in anyway.

As for the hypocrisy, while you don't say Ernie said things he didn't, you are being really hard on him for a Day 1 joke post especially if it's going to cloud your judgement in regards to him the rest of the day. I'd say that's harsh in light of his motives.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

You're right. Ok fair enough. I didn't read individual post histories but rather thread as a whole up through those posts and I forgot that after the other things came up.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CapitalistPig posted:

Lol idiot.

The Jedit thing is something we do in every game we are in.

Jedit tells me I'm lynched early in every game. I respond by voting. Its a thing we do.

Not going to verify that. But I'm not voting you for your vote on Jedit, that for me is proof that you're doing your usual thing, which I can't really understand. It's more for saying that you don't think people were playing seriously when in fact they were.

Ernie. posted:

100yrs don't listen to me on this case, I guess. My stuff in the discussion thread is independent of this game.

This is unrelated to the discussion thread and is general meta/experience stuff for me. First you've given accurate advice previously, which I've ignored, and I want to take into consideration this time. 2nd I feel your trustworthy enough, I thought your joke claim was clearly a joke and that we had people tripping all over it is somewhat surprising. 3rd, I still find Cpig's post pretty disingenuous. If you don't want me to listen to you on this case why're you still voting Cpig? Also what're your thoughts on winvirus.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Quandary posted:

How long have you been playing mafia? I'm kinda laughing at the idea that you feel someone is trustworthy like a third of the way through day 1

I come and go but I wouldn't call myself completely new at it. I'm a naive optimist by nature and I tend to trust the people I like when playing this game, especially when there's so little to go on such as

Day 1. Also I try not to be such a cynic in life and so I like to believe people are town until proven otherwise. I know the rules dictate this to be impossible but I did mention my reasons to trust Ernie enough in this situation.

Quandary posted:

This vote is straight scummy vote 101. Handwaving and really bad reach all in one

Is the handwaving the part about not being understand Cpig's play style? Because I really can't read people who play irreverently without much pattern to their posts. It always throws me off. But he said something that just reads completely false and lying is key to a scum game.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ernie. posted:

Okay, but I'd still like you to vote CPig if you find him scummy, not based on a case I made. This feels weird because this is exactly what I'd like to be able to do but I feel like it's both unearned and it's making me feel weaker about my read.

There's not enough evidence on Cpig really. He has these two fleshed out comments:

CapitalistPig posted:

Honestly I'm just shocked anyone's taking anything seriously right now, the game just started.

CapitalistPig posted:

Lol idiot.

The Jedit thing is something we do in every game we are in.

Jedit tells me I'm lynched early in every game. I respond by voting. Its a thing we do.

It'll come off as soon as there's actually a good case on someone.

But it's day one so that's not likely to happen.

I don't know how he could say the first if he had read the thread and followed along which he supposedly has. And the 2nd (bolded bit) sounds like he's waiting for someone else to make a case that he can jump on instead of looking for himself. In truth it's not the best evidence, but for me your point kinda wrapped it up. For me he's been the scummiest, weak as the reasons may be, and I can't help but take what you say into consideration because it is a good point. It can't be a case in itself but it can be a lynchpin. I guess I'll unvote if the above posts are actually in character for him.

I'm curious what Amoeba thinks because they seemed to have understood your case as well but left it at that.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Amoeba102 posted:

I've seent he "Trying to make something out of nothing" kind of argument a few times from different people, while it does seem like an absolutely normal thing to say that'd get you scum hits, there are, to me, too many people trying to make slomething out of nothing for it to be a useful argument right now.

##unvote. Reading this as cooler heads prevail and I guess I'm overreacting/reaching on this one. Gonna put this aside and give things another look tomorrow.

Quandary posted:

You hedge your bets by claiming ignorance on CPig before voting, and then jump on a joke comment and include some meta for some reason. It's a very very weak vote that you still felt the need to give yourself a way to backtrack out of. There's nothing inherently wrong with making a vote on a weaker case day 1 given we have less to go on, but giving an unrelated out on your vote is trying to take a stand while not making one simultaneously

It's nice to meet you. :hfive: It's clear we've never played together.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Glockenapfel posted:

Why would you claim this now?

Also Quid that post was awesome. You and Opop are two people I am definitely not inclined to vote today.

Why Opop?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

CPig has always been a low content poster, but he is especially lurky and avoidant while scum. His latest post (6) reminds me of how he was defended in PokeMafia: "CP, is well, CP. He always is lazy in his votes. He, of course, hides behind this meta as scum, but it is not indicative of alignment (7)." This line of thinking prevents the town from ever making a case against Capitalist Pig, because his content can always be excused as "CPig being CPig."

I really appreciate the effort you went into finding those proofs, especially since I wasn't going to make that effort not having archives. But your conclusion is a little disappointing. Cpig's just difficult to read? So we're left with two options. Ignore him until something becomes to obvious too ignore or policy execute like winvirus suggests, and I don't like the latter option. It's not fair to Cpig to just execute him whenever he's around.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

So let's just dunk someone who is lurking.

No one has come off has 100% guilty just yet, but in lieu of that I'm up for taking out lurkers. Lurking scum have completely wrecked my last few games, metaphorically and literally. It'd also save the mod the trouble of finding replacements.

Amoeba102 posted:

Quandary, I think your posts on 100yrs outweigh your potentially scummy actions with regards to Ernie.

loving finally. QuandAry. There's an 'a'. It was the really minor thing that was unreasonably bothering me.

I prefer voting when I can feel more certain/comfortable with a vote than I did with Cpig but I've explained with I voted him. Also, I like being as transparent as I can in my thought processes, which is why you can see outs or opposing thoughts in what I write because it's how I'm thinking about it. It comes out mealy mouthed and equivocating at times but I prefer sincere with myself and you lot than being someone I'm not. Also the nature of how we play this game means that even if I had super strong convictions and doubled-down or whatever you would probably find some way to read that as scummy anyway.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Only things of interest for me at this point:

a worthy uhh posted:

Now he's "caught" CPig with his "gambit" and my vote is standing because I have yet to find a reason to unvote.

Even with his uncertainty himself? I think you're missing out on his tone. Ernie reads more townie because of his own self-doubt. Scum wouldn't have to do that and besides I feel that that's kinda tough to fake.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Still don't see an alignment call~

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah, QPQ reads to me like scum who is jumping on a townie and trying to get him dunked for a few awkward posts.

I don't quite know what to make of Pmom's bristling here. On the one hand I know the feeling and it's happened enough to me, and on the other hand it seems just a tad too aggressive as if via bluster they could make QPQ back off, and QPQ hasn't.

I think it's strange that Quandary never voted me but it must be because they think it's too weak a case as well?

Finally, I know it was the weekend so I'm going to wait till the end of the day to make a point of this but we have an number of players who've said little of substance or nothing at all. Please come back we're nothing without you!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

that's not the town alignment name
revolutionaries don't have elite bodyguards, kings do
bodyguards don't seek out and kill people

Isn't bodyguard a perfectly acceptable town role?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

What's with Narco and Century both tripping over themselves to lunch lurkers? That's a weird sentiment in a game where no one is really lurking.

Who's tripping over themselves? I think I was pretty clear why I would be for killing lurkers. In general they suck and lurking scum won my last game. Also there were people lurking up through the weekend, which is pretty natural. Besides I deliberately posted that early Monday morning euro time with the hopes that action would pick up. We had had an active core of players but not all 21 were present.

Somberbrero posted:

I feel like Merk took a long time to reach an obvious conclusion.

The question is whether he had to deliberately work towards it or it was a slow realization. I lean the latter.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Quandary posted:

Numerik's added win-con actually seems pretty reasonable and, if as described, is not anti-town in any way. He literally only wins if town wins or if he dies killing mafia. Both of those are pro-town

TBH I don't feel like any of the people getting really worked up on either side of the numerik poo poo are too scummy.

I feel worse about Somber/merk and more about the former than the latter. Something about the urgency in Somber's posts makes it feel all too desperate.

QuoProQuid posted:

These types of arguments that we keep repeating are asinine and provide easy ways for scum to contribute under the guise of "policy lynches." I'd rather we discuss actual scumhunting and gut reads instead of wasting our time. If you find PinterestMom suspicious, fine. Just provide reasoning to support that instead of repeating the same old points.

Also agree. The stranger thing about this policy lynch crap is that we've got a number of players who may or may not be 3P and people aren't even sticking to what they said by voting them off. That lack of consistency is weird.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Several times I've said the opposite: that numerik is a player who has trouble articulating his thoughts clearly, a trait that is fairly common among people new to Mafia.

I'm "white-knighting" him because I think lynching a new player for playing like a new player is stupid and unfair.

This. We get hung up way too often about how things are said when all it boils down to is that people just speak in certain ways. There's nothing more to it than that.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ernie. posted:

nowhere in somber's posts do i feel like he's trying to convince ninth of anything, ergo, i don't think he knows ninth's alignment

Isn't it funny how people can read the same things and come to different conclusions? ##vote somberbrero. I had the same impression (that he's not trying to persuade anyone of anything), but I took it to mean that he was arguing something he knew to be false.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hey Quandary when you explained to me why it's good to policy lynch 3P did you mean that you do that yourself as a general rule, because I have found it strange that you haven't voted any of the supposed 3P.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Amoeba102 posted:

Hey, votefinder is wrong. My bad. Yeah, he's voting PMom.

Ah that explains that.

• Locked thread