Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

Would there be any interest in posting some pics of the weirder bank notes?

Yes, definitely. :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

meat police posted:

😍

Well fellas gold pushing closer to 2k. Stocks ... up? Happened during early COVID too.
Hopefully it won't just become the new normal as I was hoping to drop some change on some sovereigns or something. Glad I got the gold 10 roubles when I did.

Don't have a pic handy but I did expand the silver roubles to ten total, though some have obviously been cleaned. :rolleyes:

edit: Oh and apmex is having a contest for 500 ounces of silver. You don't have to buy something to enter.
https://www.apmex.com/2020-silver-maple-leaf-monster-box-sweepstakes

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 5, 2020

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I've had this display in my basement for years and based on my very quick searching, I determined it was worth under $1000 total, and when I tried to give it to someone to pay them back for taking care of a few bills for me (mostly because they really like shipwrecks), they pointed to a few coins and said this was potentially worth many thousands. What is the general consensus?

My wife thinks her father got it for buying a hell of a lot of vitamins in the early 1990s.

I figured I'd at least ask here first before taking it to a coin shop/show.

Link to the entire album with better photos

And the coin that is probably worth the most in this collection:

Fire Storm fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 28, 2020

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

hold or sell, what do y'all think

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

meat police posted:

I suppose it depends on when you bought in. I got in on silver just under $20 and would stand to make 4-5 per ounce right now. However, my sell number is higher than that to discourage me from selling so I am more likely to pass the shiny rocks to my kid or grand kids later in life.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

meat police posted:

I'm holding, I've only got around 25oz silver anyways so while I'd be making money, it's not much.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

DIY secret santa signups are now open!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941260

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 16, 2020

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Hello 1,200/toz au and 15/toz ag. I've missed you :)

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Did the Hunt Bros join r/wsb? Supposedly a silver pump, but it was still higher back in August.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

meat police posted:

Did the Hunt Bros join r/wsb? Supposedly a silver pump, but it was still higher back in August.

I've heard a few rumors about a silver short squeeze. I for one welcome this news as I got a roll of silver eagles I bought at $19.40 each :v:

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I have a 10 toz bar I could part with, if the number is right.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Mambo No. 5 posted:

I have a 10 toz bar I could part with, if the number is right.

I'd check the FB groups--what little get listed gets sold in no time. Was funny to see APMEX and JMB going "whoa now, let's uh, see what these market conditions are Monday", was a first for me to see.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The other coin thread is pretty dead. Do you guys have a recommendation for a coin auction house/consigner in the US? I have a whole bunch of coins to sell, I might go the individual ebay route for the most valuable ones but there's just a bunch. If they also handle paper money that would be great, I have some of that too. And a whole ton of stamps I have no idea where to even start on but that's its own thing.

Greatcollections.com is the one I was looking at, but that's just from random googling rather than experience.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I've been summoned from another forum. :derptiel:

I'm a pretty big coin/precious metals guy who has a whole lot of Ebay/Auction experience. My main expertise is the coins of French Morocco, but I've dealt with a pretty wide range. I'm not expert, but I know some poo poo.

Grand Fromage posted:

The other coin thread is pretty dead. Do you guys have a recommendation for a coin auction house/consigner in the US? I have a whole bunch of coins to sell, I might go the individual ebay route for the most valuable ones but there's just a bunch. If they also handle paper money that would be great, I have some of that too. And a whole ton of stamps I have no idea where to even start on but that's its own thing.

Greatcollections.com is the one I was looking at, but that's just from random googling rather than experience.

You are going to do the best on Ebay. You'll have to put in a little legwork to get established and be able to package/ship/customer service pretty well. But unless you're talking coins worth 10k+, do them yourself on Ebay.

Also, lot selling is a great way to unload stuff that wouldn't be hugely valuable on its own.

Stamps are loving dead, unfortunately. I just got an estate's loving massive stamp collection to auction and I suspect it's going to end up being pretty depressingly worthless.

What specific questions can I help you out answering?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What do you mean by get established? I don't have an ebay account and this isn't a thing I'm doing long term, I just have a pile of coins now and need to get them sold as quickly as possible so I can move back home. Given pandemic that isn't like, next week but I'd like to be done with it all within six months.

Basically what I got is:
Some paper money. I know it's all worth something but haven't checked it at all yet, just been doing a coin inventory.
A number of coins in the $1,000-5,000 range. Graded and in the sealed plastic things.
A bunch in the $1,000-$100 range. Graded and in the sealed plastic things.
God knows how many in the sub-$100 range. Proof sets mainly but also some just random poo poo in cardboard sleeves. Some graded, mostly not but they're sealed in their original plastic cases.
A whole pile of various forms of silver. Coins that are only worth the silver content, some bars, some weird giant coins where it's like 30 oz of silver struck into a big disc with a design, etc.

I'm not employed right now so I don't really have anything else to do but sell these. I'd like to get as much as I can for them, but also have a reliable consigner picked out for when I'm getting low on time and just need everything auctioned off at once.

I also have just like, a gold bar and not sure what the best way to sell that is. Can you sell straight up silver/gold for its current market price or do you have to go a few percent under?

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 11, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Grand Fromage posted:

What do you mean by get established? I don't have an ebay account and this isn't a thing I'm doing long term, I just have a pile of coins now and need to get them sold as quickly as possible so I can move back home. Given pandemic that isn't like, next week but I'd like to be done with it all within six months.

Basically what I got is:
Some paper money. I know it's all worth something but haven't checked it at all yet, just been doing a coin inventory.
A number of coins in the $1,000-5,000 range. Graded and in the sealed plastic things.
God knows how many in the sub-$100 range. Proof sets mainly but also some just random poo poo in cardboard sleeves. Some graded, mostly not but they're sealed in their original plastic cases.
A whole pile of various forms of silver. Coins that are only worth the silver content, some bars, some weird giant coins where it's like 30 oz of silver struck into a big disc with a design, etc.

I'm not employed right now so I don't really have anything else to do but sell these. I'd like to get as much as I can for them, but also have a reliable consigner picked out for when I'm getting low on time and just need everything auctioned off at once.

I also have just like, a gold bar and not sure what the best way to sell that is. Can you sell straight up silver/gold for its current market price or do you have to go a few percent under?

Alright, this is a long answer. I'm going to be as brief as possible.

First, I'm going to post a write up I did for another forum to cover the general bits. This answers some of your questions. I'll pick up on the others after this.
-----------------------------------
For absolutely no fuckery when buying coins, use reputable websites like -

Apmex
Kitco
JM Bullion

They are all very established and don't price gouge (for the most part. Some things are just overpriced.)

You can do well on Ebay, but you have to develop an eye. It's not that hard -

How to buy ANY precious metal products -

Spot Price is the important word. That is the best estimate of what the metal is currently trading at. That is the minimum amount you should get from anyone when selling the metal, minus their fees. More on that later. If it's something like sterling silver, you'll get MELT price because it's not completely pure.

Types of Metals -

Collectable - Has a value to numismatists and collectors. Will cost more.
Bullion/Rounds/Bars - Coins and bars specifically made for people buying metals. This is your best bet.
Scrap - Jewelry that is melted to be sold at MELT value

If you are buying silver, look for this in the listing, "X over spot." You should be looking for the absolute lowest number possible. For silver, it should only be a few dollars. For Gold, even bullion, it can be closer to thirty to fifty, and up.

Here is an example -

https://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-silv...lo-stack-round/

They don't always come out and tell you the amount over spot, but it's easy to figure out. Just look at the price in the top right corner and subtract it from the coin.

SHIPPING! - Factor this in to your total cost. Take advantage of free shipping, hard.

When selling, you will not always get spot if it isn't a particularly nice or collectable. That's why I like actual Silver Eagles and products like that. It is not uncommon for someone to say, "I charge $30-60 bucks per ounce of gold I buy." That's totally reasonable. Meaning you'll be getting that amount under spot. Most of the BUY GOLD NOW places should be illegal. They charge hundreds of dollars per ounce bought, effectively stealing. I LOATHE scammers and thieves.

Bottom Line - I'm here and will answer any questions or help anyone looking to venture into metals. I cannot stress this enough - Metals are a long, long term investment. Something to tuck away and forget about for a few decades. Trying to short metals is a very poor equation, and you will lose. A shitload of people dumped all their savings into silver when it went to $40, thinking the ride would continue. Silver took a bath and people lost a lot of money. Don't be one of those people. Think of metals as a grandkids/retirement fund.
------------------------------

Alright, now I'm going to get into your specifics -

When I say established on Ebay, I mean do you have any transactions listed on your account? Or an account at all that's been used to make purchases? The rating would be the little number next to your Account Name. When it comes to big ticket items, no transactions is a big warning sign that it's a scammer. I tell everyone to sell ten small things to get started, so the world can know you are legit. I'd still recommend being able to send polite messages back and forth, because some people will want to make sure you are who you claim to be.

I have a big rear end write up about getting started on Ebay, but I don't want to make this post eight pages long. I'd be glad to post it if you decide to go that route.

If one week is your timeframe, you'll have to sell to a shop or buyer. You'll get about 50% or less value on everything other than straight precious metals. Even then, you'll likely not get any of the numismatic value from the sales. That comes from the type of coin, rarity, and "slabbed" coins. Those plastic containers that don't open are called slabs. I already covered how you'll do selling metals, but in your case numismatic value is important.

If you have a collection with multiple $5k plus items and don't want to mess with anything, you can contact a big auction house. They take a big cut, like 35%-40%. But obviously, it's less hassle for you. If it's a big enough collection, they'll even send someone out.

But with six months, Ebay is the way to go IF you want to make the most money. Their fees are a lot closer to the 15% level. Yes, it will be a process and take some work. But you'll get the most value. I think you'd need to look pretty hard at your timeframe and makes a decision. Would you rather have 85% of your money? Or 65%?

Let me know if you want the Ebay knowledge dump and hit me with any questions. I'm always glad to help out a fellow Odds and Ends seller. :derptiel:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'd def take the ebay knowledge dump, I've used it occasionally through the years but that's all. I do have an account actually, just checked. One transaction with a positive rating when I bought a thing. Should I sell some less valuable coins to get the rating then do the valuable ones? I was thinking I'd just put in a thing saying yeah I know this is a new account, I can send you whatever pics you need to verify it's a real coin, but maybe that's a red flag itself.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Knowledge Dump Inbound!

Also, I'd go ahead and try to get some lower priced items sold. But I'd certainly recommend putting something in your description about more pictures being available and acknowledging being a new seller. That's not a red flag at all. In all my Ebaying, I've only ran into an outright scammer once. Ebay sided with me and made them refund all my money.

I'll try to keep this lean, but hammer me with questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

-------------------------

Ebay – The Basics

I’ll be using my store for our guinea pig.

https://www.ebay.com/str/captainlogscuriosities

Everyone calls their auctions page their “Storefront” or “Business.” It just refers to your homepage. I sell everything from antiques to toys, but my bread and butter is loving vintage toys.

Starting out, you just need to register an account. Just registering an account will get you an average of fifty free listings a month. Ebay makes their money by charging a listing fee between .35 cents and multiple bucks depending on the options you use, and charging a final value fee of about ten to fifteen percent of the sale price. I rarely spring for something like a bolded title (2.00 bucks) or listing an item in additional categories (1.00 buck). Be careful, if you put up things that don’t sell and also don’t change your ways, it’s possible to have a month in which all you do is sell enough to cover your listing fees. This is not ideal.

Paypal – You need a Paypal

Ebay functions almost exclusively through use of PayPal. Once you’ve linked your account to Ebay, you can use it like a money bank. Postage can be purchased directly from your paypal funds, ebay invoices (listing fees) can be paid, etc. If you are one of the two people on the internet without a PayPal account, you’ll need one.

Apparently, Ebay is transitioning away from PayPal this year. But I'll believe it when it happens. You still need PayPal.

Shipping with Discounted Rates –

By being someone who was able to register with a website, you’ll get discounted postage through USPS. For ages I stupidly didn’t use this feature. If you purchase your postage through Ebay, you’ll save ten or twenty percent, and it will automatically load your tracking number for the end user to see. The tracking number is a huge way Ebay measures you as a seller. Just use their postage system.

Photos – Buy (make) a light box

If you look through my auctions, you’ll see a jump in the picture quality. I used to take a cell phone picture in front of my keyboard. Then I made a little photo area near my desk, but the shadows were awful. I ordered a twelve dollar light box and my photos improved tenfold. I also may have purchased the absolute cheapest piece of poo poo light box ever made. It’s “SLOW DOLPHIN” brand. Don’t buy that one.

On eBay, you’ll be competing with CHINA and a lot of big corporations. The people like me who sell single items at a time are the minority. The photos are your main way to beat the “big guys” who just use the stock photos. Pick a bright background, don’t have items that aren’t for sale in the picture, light that motherfucker, and get every possible angle. Less than three pictures normally doesn't cut it, unless it's the most basic unslabbed coin ever.

Prohibited Items – It’s weird

Ebay had a poo poo load of everything, but there are some prohibited items. Soiled undergarments (gross), body parts, explosives (fireworks), and poo poo like that isn’t allowed. The only hard NO I’ve run into with firearms related stuff is magazine limits. Nothing that holds more than ten rounds is allowed.

Getting Scammed – It’s normally unintentional!

There is a saying that eBay always sides with the buyer. This isn’t true. I’ve had one issue go to arbitration as the seller, and I won. How? Good COA. That stands for “Cover Your rear end.”

I take photos of everything and save all my receipts when applicable. If it’s an expensive item, I’ll take photos of the item in the box, and the box taped up with postage. Act like a crazy person diagnosing themselves with Morgellon’s. Save loving everything.

Most of the horror stories are just misunderstandings. I’ve had three people, probably kids, “lose” their packages. Instead of contacting me, or the post office, they just open up a case against me and literally say something like, “Where MY THING?!”

I will calmly reply with some version of the following, “The United States Postal Service covers all packages with fifty dollars of insurance. Have you filed a claim at your local post office? Here is their address.” Or I will help them troubleshoot their tracking number. This normally solves the problem. If a case is opened and you respond to eBay’s satisfaction, that seller cannot leave bad feedback against you.

NOTE! - Covid has really loving up American shipping. Caution people that ship times can be abnormally long and ALWAYS USE TRACKING!!!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Edit - WRONG THREAD!!!

I'm stupid and bad at bookmarks. Sorry for subjecting anyone to the horrors belonging in CSPAM.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 20, 2021

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Grand Fromage posted:

I'd def take the ebay knowledge dump, I've used it occasionally through the years but that's all. I do have an account actually, just checked. One transaction with a positive rating when I bought a thing. Should I sell some less valuable coins to get the rating then do the valuable ones? I was thinking I'd just put in a thing saying yeah I know this is a new account, I can send you whatever pics you need to verify it's a real coin, but maybe that's a red flag itself.

What are you looking to sell? A lot of established groups can vouch for their more trusted wheeler & dealers. Depending on the amount it may be worth doing private sell.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Thanks for all the advice, I finally got around to starting to sell and it's been going well, ebay makes it quite easy to do. Sold six this week. I was wondering, is there a value of coin where you'd want to get it re-certified just to make sure? I remember my dad had one that he got checked again and the grade went up enough to make it the highest graded example in the world, was worth a shitload. Or do you judge based on how much the price goes up with each grade?

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

If you think you caught them on a bad day then yeah lol. It’s not uncommon to break them out of there to be recertified, just be really careful doing so. I’ve got an AU grade double eagle I was dogged on and will probably have to do similar.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Any ideas on value for this thing? Google suggests like $2000 but that seems... Far fetched

https://imgur.com/gallery/wUXSCCJ

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Lol whoops I forgot the Morgan Peace preorders were yesterday:
https://mobile.twitter.com/usmint/status/1396917601431957511
https://mobile.twitter.com/usmint/status/1396917605806624769

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I saw there were already listings for them on ebay yesterday, crazy how fast they sold out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

meat police posted:

If you think you caught them on a bad day then yeah lol. It’s not uncommon to break them out of there to be recertified, just be really careful doing so. I’ve got an AU grade double eagle I was dogged on and will probably have to do similar.

I found a couple of certifiers will let you send a slabbed coin and then if it's higher grade, they'll re-slab it, but if it's the same or lower they just send it back to you. But it costs like $70 a pop. I was just thinking about it since one of the coins I just checked goes up about $3000 with each grade, but I have no idea if wrong certifications are common enough to bother.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

While I'm here I might as well post some of the Canadian silver I've picked up off ebay and other places;

(in no particular order)

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 27, 2021

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

erenoyo posted:

Any ideas on value for this thing? Google suggests like $2000 but that seems... Far fetched

https://imgur.com/gallery/wUXSCCJ

Closer to $500. If you can remove the jewelry mount and there is no visible damage from it, it could be 10-20% more than that. That being said, I don't think it would straight grade if you sent it in to be graded.

Jimmy James fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 30, 2021

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

Grand Fromage posted:

Basically what I got is:

Do not sell bullion on ebay if you can find other outlets.Their fees are just too high. I regularly sell bullion on Reddit for above spot price. Precious metals are hot right now. I sell there and on ebay regularly if you have questions.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Don’t bother sending coins from jewelry in to be graded imho. The bracket they put it in usually fucks up the third side (rim), holes drilled in them on top of normal wear & tear, and it being cleaned with chemicals etc. I’d just pop that bad boy out and enjoy man handling it since it’ll usually just command a little higher price than melt. Gold is so dense that it’s just fun to hold in a weird way.

Plus don’t sell unless you have to, inflation is on the way so PM’s value could ramp up hard later.

meat police fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 1, 2021

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I bought some stuff today. 103 silver dollars, and a gold eagle "set" 1-1/10oz

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
That's pretty bitchin. All Peace and Morgan?

Jimmy James posted:

Do not sell bullion on ebay if you can find other outlets.Their fees are just too high. I regularly sell bullion on Reddit for above spot price. Precious metals are hot right now. I sell there and on ebay regularly if you have questions.

Do you just list them in r/Coins4Sale?

Also I'm making an app to list coins on eBay with two photos. You snap two photos, type, year, mint, grade, etc all performed automatically.

Anyone wanna test it? It's a hobby so figure another month or two.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

Do you just list them in r/Coins4Sale?

I'm also interested in a followup here, I should bookmark this thread. I have a bunch of silver that's just worth melt value (plus a bunch of modern American Eagles which I assume are also just silver value? I haven't looked into them yet) and some gold, including a literal fuckin gold bar that's going to take a nice big hunk out of my student loans.

I also have some paper money which I haven't even begun to look into. I'm guessing there are hard plastic cases I can put those in so they don't get hosed up in the mail? I've seen the sleeves like for card collecting, but I am not confident in my ability to slide money into those without bending it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm also interested in a followup here, I should bookmark this thread. I have a bunch of silver that's just worth melt value (plus a bunch of modern American Eagles which I assume are also just silver value? I haven't looked into them yet) and some gold, including a literal fuckin gold bar that's going to take a nice big hunk out of my student loans.

Wanna use my coin photo app to get the prices? They'll be kinda rough but I'm building the pricing part of the app this weekend (hopefully)

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

That's pretty bitchin. All Peace and Morgan?

Yeah, mostly peace dollars. There's maybe 20 Morgans in there. I dodnt do that good on the gold, but made out on the silver. Still got the gold for less than melt though.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Grand Fromage posted:

I found a couple of certifiers will let you send a slabbed coin and then if it's higher grade, they'll re-slab it, but if it's the same or lower they just send it back to you. But it costs like $70 a pop. I was just thinking about it since one of the coins I just checked goes up about $3000 with each grade, but I have no idea if wrong certifications are common enough to bother.

I forgot if it's NGC or PCGS but one of them has an entry-level membership that's like 100 bones and you get to send up to 5 coins to be graded. This was a few years back, but I'm sure they have something similar now

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I got my son's 2021 silver eagle finally. Oof at the price increase, but making a tradition is worth it.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

meat police posted:

I think I've done it--I've found the ugliest gold coin so far.

1/25 oz Fine Gold Coin - Owl Shaman Holding Goose

I also have a small collection of pictures of the tackiest and worst looking silver rounds I've come across. I'll need to sort through them and make a post when I get a day off sometime.

I bought this as a PF69 years ago for the laughs and forgot to post about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

:popeye: :eyepop: :popeye:

Wow I would love to hear the defense for that one