Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Oh man I was just wondering if there was a coin/silver/gold thread floating around. I've recently picked up the hobby after a 20ish year hiatus.

When I was around 10 my parents bought for me, from the Barnes & Noble kids section, a coin collecting kit. This included an information booklet on 20th Century American coins, a cardboard collection/display mat, and best of all, a 1943 steel penny. My mind was blown, I had no idea such a thing existed, or indeed any other coins before the common Washington quarters, Lincoln pennies, etc. Over the following years whenever I would find a coin I would place it in the designated cardboard space until I kinda lost interest. I had no money to buy the coins I was missing, and there was little chance of me finding one in the wild (with a couple exceptions). I always kept them in a safe place though, and made sure to never lose them for sentimental reasons. The last coin I acquired was my grandmother's 1922 Peace dollar in my early 20's.

A few weeks ago I got a wild hair up my rear end and looked into buying silver or gold bars, found apmex.com, and ordered a 2016 Silver Eagle and a BU 1921 Morgan. My latent addictive tendencies have since taken over and my modest stack is now as follows:

Old Collection:

New Collection (except that tarnished Peace, thats my Grandma's):

The copper coin is something I picked up at a Ren faire and paid way too much for, I had no clue what it was and it came in a fancy plastic capsule :v:

(apologies for terrible pictures)

I plan on picking up all the missing coins so I can finally, after two decades, complete my cardboard holder. Also a 2016 silver Maple leaf and a 2016 silver Libertad, to join my 2016 Silver Eagle and make a nice little North America collection. Not pictured: a ton of wheat pennies and a few Indian heads from my grandfather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

My next order of silver arrived today :neckbeard:

I managed to take some slightly better pictures this time. Joining my 2016 Silver Eagle is a 2016 Silver Maple Leaf and a 2016 Silver Libertad:

Peep them silver titties

I also ordered 3 ounces of the bargain bin generic silver, with the request for "something weird or interesting"

Cool toning on this bar

I got no clue on this last one, best I can think of would be a piece of trade show swag, the blank reverse maybe was supposed to have contact info, like an expensive business card?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

FYI, APMEX is having a silver kangaroo sweepstakes, no purchase necessary and you can sign up online. Winner gets 250 one-ounce silver kangaroos in a sealed mini-monster box

http://www.apmex.com/2017-silver-kangaroo-sweepstakes?_campaign=02212017promocategorykangaroosweepstakes

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

meat police posted:

Finally got this 1876 Sovereign. It came out of jewelry so it didn't have any collectible value, just melt. I didn't like the design at first but it's growing on me, I also might try to grab some Francs if I can find an ok deal.

Thats a really cool looking coin! How much gold is that?

Is anyone planning on getting one of the new African-American Lady Liberty coins? I'm saving up for one currently.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/13/us/black-lady-liberty-us-coin.html

US Mint website says April 6th release date

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

meat police posted:

Gold and silver is taking a small pounding today so I'm seeing if I can grab a roll of Mercury dimes somewhere.

Yeah, APMEX has 10oz silver bars on sale for $0.29 over spot and I'm debating pulling the trigger....

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

:eyepop:

Nice bills and sovereigns!

APMEX has another monster box sweepstakes, this time for 500 oz of silver maple leafs. You can enter online, don't have to buy anything

http://www.apmex.com/2017-rcm-sweepstakes

Does anyone have any of the silver Queen's Beasts? Almost grabbed a Griffon but the Red Dragon is coming out soon and it looks pretty cool

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

So I took advantage of the low prices this morning and my first bonus from work and ordered a silver Britannia, a Walking Liberty half dollar, and my first ever gold coin, a 1/10 ounce gold eagle. I'll post pics once they arrive :buddy:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

meat police posted:

You were lucky to buy in low, I saw it hit 16.99 and went "nah surely it'll hit $16 again" but :sigh:

So they finally announced preorder pricing on the new silver Krugerrand at $60, $130 for it to be already graded. I know it's a hell of a premium but I'll probably grab an SP70 just because I want one, no real investment there.

I almost never buy silver with a high premium, because it seems to require a lot of wheeling and dealing to make back any money. I might as well start buying limited ed. Elvis plates out of the Sunday circular by that point.

I was about to say that I'd never pay 3x spot for a new coin, but then I remembered my slabbed MS-70 silver eagle :v:

My order came in today! I picked up a silver Brittania to add to my collection of government mint silver coins; I'll probably add a kookaburra next

Also grabbed a 1945 Walking Liberty, I'm very happy with the condition on this one

And finally my first ever gold coin! A 2015 1/10 ounce gold eagle:

Its so teeny! :buddy:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

So I have a general question; would you guys consider your silver/gold purchases a hobby or do you count them as savings?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

http://www.apmex.com/product/117770/2017-high-relief-american-liberty-gold-w-box-and-coa

The new lady liberty coin is available for pre-order, a bit more expensive than I had hoped :ohdear:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

It's payday and silver prices are below $16, I might have to give in and buy a few ounces :negative:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I started out buying generic bars and rounds, since they were the cheapest, but now I wish I had just stuck to coins as they are far more interesting. Will local shops trade generic silver for equivalent value coins? Theres a couple in my town but I haven't been.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

APMEX, why do you ask?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Yay new coins :neckbeard:

I found a local shop and traded in some silver bars/rounds for a few more interesting coins:

A 1987 proof silver eagle, with original case and certificate (this is my birth year)

A couple cool commemorative silver dollars:

Also picked up a Franklin half and a couple Mercury dimes for my collection, they aren't anything too special. I cashed out what was leftover and I got a Kennedy half and a proof Oklahoma quarter as part of my change :v:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

meat police posted:

Like clockwork, every time precious metals takes a dip the metal groups get flooded with people selling like crazy. Buy high ... sell low?

When I was in the coin shop yesterday, an apparent regular came in and unloaded three tubes of silver eagles. I was pretty confused.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Went to both the coin shops in town today, and both had closed early :saddowns:. Was hoping to pick up a few silver eagles but I guess not.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I found an awesome shop in Houston called the Houston Numismatic Exchange. Picked up a Barber quarter, Barber Half and a standing Liberty quarter for the collection.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

meat police posted:

Nice, Standing Libertys will always be my favorite design ever.

You can still, just barely, make out the nipple on that one :v:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Do gold/silver prices rise after natural disasters? Im in Orlando bracing for Irma and am considering buying a few ounces in case things go super Mad Max (:v:). I found a semi-local place that told me they're selling silver eagles at $2 above spot which seems like a deal.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Decided to check out a local CASH4GOLD type place on the off chance they had some silver coins for a decent price. The very nice woman informed me that some guy came in that morning and cleaned them out of 175+ Morgans, Peace, and Eagles :negative:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

meat police posted:

Huh, I never would have guessed CASH4GOLD joints would mess with silver. I thought most of their business model was just shipping off 18k-22k gold jewelry to be melted down. I might have to go bug a few this week.

I thought so too but I called a couple up and they will sell you silver/gold coins if they have any on hand. The one I described above did do some weird pricing though. They round the spot price to the nearest dollar, then charge an over-spot price on top of that. So the $17.80 spot price for today is rounded to $18, then whatever premium they charge. They would round down at $17.49 however, so if you time it right you might save a bit.

So here's a question with probably no one answer: what's the better investment, sovereign coins like Silver Eagles, or silver bars/rounds?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I bought my first full tube of Silver Eagles today! :buddy: All 2005's as they were slightly cheaper for some reason. The local CASH4GOLD places turned out to be bait and switch so I went back to my local shop and picked up a tube for $388 (about $2.25 over spot). Also picked up a 1986 Eagle, a Walking Liberty, and a V nickel for my collection. I'll edit in pics once I get back from work.

EDIT - Took me 23 years, but I've finally finished the coin collection I started as a child

DominusDeus posted:

*awesome stuff*

That is so cool, I've never seen NK money. How does anyone get NK notes out of the country?

Super Waffle fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 19, 2017

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Apparently Palladium Eagles are gonna be a thing? :eyepop:

Anyone here collect palladium?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I just noticed the egale is ripping apart the olive branch. Not the best imagery :ohdear:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

meat police posted:

Ended up settling for 2 Swiss 20 Francs, 2 Sovereigns, and finally got my feet wet with some pre-33 US. Was a fun run, I think I'll start keeping my eyes out for pre-33 over anything else.

Beautiful stuff! How much did all those cost you?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I want to eventually own a pre-33 double eagle, its just such a beautiful coin.

In other news, heres a big rear end copper nugget I picked up at a Rock and Gem show :buddy:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Silvers going down real low, might have to buy myself a few ounces :getin:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

You all should watch this guy refine down $10k worth of scrap jewelry into a bar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuwbwYNnAKA

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Prices are lookin reeeaaal low these days. Anyone picked up anything lately?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I plan on installing a wall safe once I buy a place, complete with painting in front of it.

I picked up a cheap 1922 peace and a 1921 Morgan for $36 as gifts for a friend; shes not a collector but loves anything from the '20s. My shop seemed pretty glad to be rid of them, seeing as they'd been polished :v:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm on vacation in Edinburgh and I happened into a curiousity shop. I traded my wallet 2016 silver eagle for three fake gold sovergeins and a framed picture of King Kong. Not sure who got robbed :v:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

So SafeChat, what do you guys use for storage/security? Any safes you can recommend?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

meat police posted:

Hopefully somebody has bought something cool while prices have been low. I’ve been searching for 1oz US Assay silver rounds but no fair deals out there yet.

I've been saving up for a house but the market here is borked so I'm going back to renting. I might buy a roll or two now that I got all this money sitting around for at least a year.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

https://m.muenze-berlin.de/Berlin_70_Jahre_Currywurst-97244-951023.html

:stare:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

shiny disc are prety

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

And silver up to $25, definitely the highest I've ever seen it since I started collecting :eyepop:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

meat police posted:

hold or sell, what do y'all think

I'm holding, I've only got around 25oz silver anyways so while I'd be making money, it's not much.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

meat police posted:

Did the Hunt Bros join r/wsb? Supposedly a silver pump, but it was still higher back in August.

I've heard a few rumors about a silver short squeeze. I for one welcome this news as I got a roll of silver eagles I bought at $19.40 each :v:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

:popeye: :eyepop: :popeye:

Wow I would love to hear the defense for that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Welp just found another coin I definitely need to send in for a grade reconsideration. If it goes up a grade it's worth $50,000 more than at current. :captainpop: That's worth double checking.

Holy crap, what coin could possibly be worth so much more by going up a grade? :stare: